Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the Arkamsas Style Bother Nick Saban?

Started by HogWall Jackson, June 18, 2015, 07:54:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWall Jackson

I watched Nick's Interview prior to this year's Spring Game, several things came to my attention that he said. 1st he mentioned the Alabama Identity of being a tough football team as in physically intimidating. Last year for the first time The Alabama OL could not line up and knock people backwards to pick up the 1st down on 3rd and short. They still have great people but lack the attitude with Kiffin's Offense. As Saban mentioned, he wants that edge back and Now! He wants to be able to step in and take over the play calling at anytime and play Smash Mouth Football as he did for many years. It was clear he was not comfortable with all of the changes with the Offense.

I really think that he realizes that Arkansas beat his team up physically last year @ Fayetteville. Ohio State definitely won the battle @ the Line of Scrimmage on Offense and Defense. I expect Nick to be more involved with the Offense this year. Their Defense will be more experienced and deeper in talent.

I look for out OL to make huge improvement this year for two reasons: 1st this is their 3rd year together. (you can not just plug in talent and get a great OL in a year, they get better and better with playing time.) Secondly, Dan Enos will keep opposing defenses off balance much more this seasons. Look for more Big Plays out of our offense!

We need the Kicking and Punting Games to come through. I believe the Punt Game is covered. We have some Talent in the Place Kicking Ranks but someone must separate from the mediocre pack. I too believe that happens.

Our defense will be better than any of our SEC Opponents believe. All of this given, I look for some tough games this year, but we will have our opportunities and will be in every single game including some tough road contests. We will not lose to both Alabama teams this year! It will be a fun season to be an Arkansas Fan.

Boarcephus

IMO, Alabama is losing their identity along the lines of how OU lost theirs.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MJ2

No sir.   Nick worries about everything, however I think when you rank his concerns in the SEC West, AR is probably 4th or 5th on his list.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MJ2 on June 18, 2015, 08:20:18 am
No sir.   Nick worries about everything, however I think when you rank his concerns in the SEC West, AR is probably 4th or 5th on his list.

Judging from last year's game, Nick should be very concerned about Arkansas.
We gave that game to them.

Arkansas will be very good this year but Im afraid place kicking could cause us to lose a close game or two much like last year vs aTm.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 18, 2015, 07:54:09 am
I watched Nick's Interview prior to this year's Spring Game, several things came to my attention that he said. 1st he mentioned the Alabama Identity of being a tough football team as in physically intimidating. Last year for the first time The Alabama OL could not line up and knock people backwards to pick up the 1st down on 3rd and short. They still have great people but lack the attitude with Kiffin's Offense. As Saban mentioned, he wants that edge back and Now! He wants to be able to step in and take over the play calling at anytime and play Smash Mouth Football as he did for many years. It was clear he was not comfortable with all of the changes with the Offense.

I really think that he realizes that Arkansas beat his team up physically last year @ Fayetteville. Ohio State definitely won the battle @ the Line of Scrimmage on Offense and Defense. I expect Nick to be more involved with the Offense this year. Their Defense will be more experienced and deeper in talent.

I look for out OL to make huge improvement this year for two reasons: 1st this is their 3rd year together. (you can not just plug in talent and get a great OL in a year, they get better and better with playing time.) Secondly, Dan Enos will keep opposing defenses off balance much more this seasons. Look for more Big Plays out of our offense!

We need the Kicking and Punting Games to come through. I believe the Punt Game is covered. We have some Talent in the Place Kicking Ranks but someone must separate from the mediocre pack. I too believe that happens.

Our defense will be better than any of our SEC Opponents believe. All of this given, I look for some tough games this year, but we will have our opportunities and will be in every single game including some tough road contests. We will not lose to both Alabama teams this year! It will be a fun season to be an Arkansas Fan.
If anything bothers Saban about Arkansas's style of play I would imagine it's the more physical style that we've adopted over the past couple of years. He would see this as a direct challenge to the style 'Bama has employed (and enjoyed) exploiting pretty much since he hit Tuscaloosa. He very well could see this as the beginnings of a SECW rival that's essentially saying "I adopt your style of football; in fact, I'll do ya' one better". Should be interesting to see how things unfold over the next several seasons.

hoghiker

If Saban was very disappointed in the BAMA's offense, I'd don't think Kiffee would still be walking the sidelines. I just don't think slinging the ball around to Bambi like wide outs and smashmouth football mix to well. Like oil and water. You pick your poison and live with the rest. Saban is living the dilemma, maybe. Seems odd that Bama would be having this sort of identity crisis with all the success they've had but Saban must see  a change in college football. Or not. Confusing to me but this isn't new to me. Who knows.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hoghiker on June 18, 2015, 08:27:24 am
If Saban was very disappointed in the BAMA's offense, I'd don't think Kiffee would still be walking the sidelines. I just don't think slinging the ball around to Bambi like wide outs and smashmouth football mix to well. Like oil and water. You pick your poison and live with the rest. Saban is living the dilemma, maybe. Seems odd that Bama would be having this sort of identity crisis with all the success they've had but Saban must see  a change in college football. Or not. Confusing to me but this isn't new to me. Who knows.

Bama just wasnt the same Saban Bama last year.
They used to be able to impose their will on you no matter who you put on the LOS.

That is where Arkansas is headed.

HogNdazs

I think they should worry about us being a better oppenent for sure.

But I don't think he is too worried about the offense. In the past if you could stop their run game (which was super hard to do) then you had a good chance at winning, now they are a little more balanced but I plan to see more smashmouth from them.  I don't think Kiffin is a bad OC at all, just not a good person or HC.

JackJohnson

I think Joe Pendry and Jeff Stoutland were much better OL coaches then Mario Cristobal and when you couple that with several consecutive years of losing high draft picks on the OL it caught up with them.  IF the OL continues to not be able to dominate this year with studs like Cam Robinson then there may be an offensive coaching house cleaning

jkstock04

I do not think it bothers him one bit. I would wager he would prefer to play against traditional style football any day. You know what's coming you've just got to stop it.

Teams that have really gave Bama fits during their reign have been the fast paced/fling it around types. I think this in particular has led to the Kiffin evolution of Bama football...and no I don't think Saban is real comfortable with the change. Be interesting to see what they look like this year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: JackJohnson on June 18, 2015, 08:54:08 am
I think Joe Pendry and Jeff Stoutland were much better OL coaches then Mario Cristobal and when you couple that with several consecutive years of losing high draft picks on the OL it caught up with them.  IF the OL continues to not be able to dominate this year with studs like Cam Robinson then there may be an offensive coaching house cleaning

Mario Cristobal is on staff to recruit S. Florida, he is not a very goo OL Coach.

ballz2thewall

saban's key worry about his team is, i would guess, is how his defense responds to his offensive change in pace.

universally, defenses suffer when yards are gained quickly. saban saw this last year as his offense started clicking. the best illustration is the ncg, where the game was essentially over at half, even though the score was tied [or one point apart; can't recall]. bama's points were too efficient for his defense to keep pace. osu had the ball for about twice as long for their equivalent points.
The rest of the frog.

JackJohnson

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 18, 2015, 09:15:07 am
Mario Cristobal is on staff to recruit S. Florida, he is not a very goo OL Coach.

agreed and I never understood why Saban felt the need to add ace recruiters like Kiffin and Cristobal at such critical spots like OC and OL when recruiting top flight talent is never going to be an issue for them.  either way we will find out this year if that will pay off as they basically have to replace their entire offense from last year.  my hope of course is that Robb Smith and co. make them pay once again :)

ricepig

Correct, although I don't think has anything fall below #1 in his list.

oldhawg

Seems to me that some folks are a bit obsessed about what "Nick" thinks.  However, it is the off season, and topics range far and wide.  So, my opinion is that I don't care what Nick thinks.  I care what the Arkansas coaches and players think.  I want them to be convinced that they can beat the Tide, and then do it.

Athog

It will bother Nick when Ark starts beating him!! Not yet!! Bama is on the track and Coach B is steering the train!!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Cinco de Hogo

We'll be #1 the week we play them, not before.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 18, 2015, 07:54:09 am

I think the talent gap between Alabama and the rest of the West is rapidly closing, both on the field and on the sidelines.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Calling All Hogs

The greatest equalizer of talent levels in college football is strength and development. That is a big reason why we are closing the gap with Bama. 

MissippHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 18, 2015, 12:46:53 pm
I think the talent gap between Alabama and the rest of the West is rapidly closing, both on the field and on the sidelines.
I believe this is more true than anything.   

jesterzzn

bennyl08

Two side notes not yet brought up.

First: Arkamsas? Might want to fix the title there.

Two: What makes you think the punt game is covered (I do like the pun you made there)?

Our punting game is exactly where our kicking game last year was. We have some untested walk-on's and a freshmen who for all we know might redshirt this year.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hoghiker

I wonder if Saban would be a better coach if he could see over the line.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hoghiker on June 18, 2015, 08:27:24 am

I know from their A-game that they will have their hands full with QB play. Bama is in for a 7-6 type of season...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: oldhawg on June 18, 2015, 09:53:16 am
Seems to me that some folks are a bit obsessed about what "Nick" thinks.  However, it is the off season, and topics range far and wide.  So, my opinion is that I don't care what Nick thinks.  I care what the Arkansas coaches and players think.  I want them to be convinced that they can beat the Tide, and then do it.

Old Hog, you go 50% of exactly what I left for our posters to figure out. Our players know they punched Alabama in the mouth last year, they know thatthey physically defeated them. Bama made about 68 yards running the football. Amari Cooper caught only 2 passes out of the 18 targeted for him. His worst game of the year!

Here's the most valuable point that I left unsaid. Nick Saban thinks of his team Alabama as the toughest team in all of College Football. When he was totally running everything, his Running Game was always the Best Power game in college Football and he won with it. If he could score 17 or more points, control the clock and the ball, he won 90% of the games. Auburn and Texas A&M with their Spread attacks made it necessary to score more points to win. Ball control was not as important as Malzahn and Sumlin could heat the oven and score faster than a Microwave Oven, so Nick rethought his offensive attack. He brought in "Little Kiffie" to open things up to produce more points VS A&M and AU. In his mind he still believed that he could rally his Troops and play "Smash Mouth Football" whenever he wanted to do so. The mentality of your OL just does not work with an ON and Off Switch, it is a mindset. Christobal is no better than an average OL coach playing with incredible talent, that is why Saban made a 500K run at Coach Pittman 2 years ago. He still covets Pittman!

That rainy night in Fayetteville has psychologically put doubts in Nick's head about how tough his team really is. Ohio State proved they are no longer feared as they once were. OSU RAN the Ball down their Throats. He alluded to both games prior to his Spring Game. If Alabama does not win the National Play Off this year Kiffin will leave. That Smash Mouth Offensive Line sets the Tone for your Defense! The Defensive statistics are always better the less time they are on required to be on the field.

Arkansas and LSU like Power Football AU and A&M are always wide open. That poses real problems if your are the Top Dog.

lumphog

Somebody cryin.....cause they can't have a CUP CAKE ?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I doubt that Sabam is all that comcermed with how Arkamsas is doimg thimgs.  I'n pretty sure that he's comcermed with the fact that his tean doesm't seen to be all that physical amynore.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

LZH

Saban is no more worried about us than he is anyone else.  Now, he is probably worried that his team isn't the bunch of badass maulers they've been in the past.  If I were him, that's what I'd be concerned about.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: LZH on June 18, 2015, 08:21:03 pm
Saban is no more worried about us than he is anyone else.  Now, he is probably worried that his team isn't the bunch of badass maulers they've been in the past.  If I were him, that's what I'd be concerned about.

He is losing the intimidation Factor, maybe to Arkansas and he will not beat AU, A&M or Arkansas like he did before. The sun is setting on Nick.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 18, 2015, 10:09:39 pm
He is losing the intimidation Factor, maybe to Arkansas and he will not beat AU, A&M or Arkansas like he did before. The sun is setting on Nick.

Wow!   Nostradamus in the house.  Based on one season in which Saban has dabbled with Kiffin's offense.....In which he had his least talented team in probably six years,......In which he still played for an NC in the first ever playoffs......He's a sinking ship coach.

Bwahahahaha......You could be right but to leap from best coach in CFB and a legit top 10 all time coach to, ''The USS Saban Titanic'' is hilarious.

+1 to you.
His response to me:

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 19, 2015, 04:45:12 am
Wow!   Nostradamus in the house.  Based on one season in which Saban has dabbled with Kiffin's offense.....In which he had his least talented team in probably six years,......In which he still played for an NC in the first ever playoffs......He's a sinking ship coach.

Bwahahahaha......You could be right but to leap from best coach in CFB and a legit top 10 all time coach to, ''The USS Saban Titanic'' is hilarious.

+1 to you.

He WAS dominant and imposed the will on each opposing team he faced. It is nearly impossible to maintain that kind of dominance. Ohio State beat them soundly. As for talent he has recruited Number 1 class after Number 1 class. Too many hounds are pursuing Alabama and Nick. I doubt that he wins the SEC-W this year.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 18, 2015, 10:09:39 pm
It's the ghost of Bear saying "you will NOT win more championships than me!" :-\

WarPig88

Yes, Nick is worried about a team's style that has produced two SEC wins in two seasons now.

It seems like he is more concerned with Auburn and Ole Miss than the rest of the SEC.