Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Fanbase: More Alumni or Non-Alumni?

Started by NuttinItUp, June 04, 2015, 08:28:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

June 04, 2015, 08:28:31 pm Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:02:33 am by NuttinItUp
Breaks down teams with non-alumni vs alumni fanbases:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/2/8622799/college-fans-facebook-sidewalk-alumni

Although Arkansas didn't make it into  the lowest fan-to-student ratio, they were pretty close to making it at 9%, which is pretty easy to understand since the team captures the hearts and minds of most people in the state.

The section on rivalries between high fan-to-student ratio schools and low fan-to-student ratio schools is also interesting.

Here are all the power-conference schools:

SchoolPct       SchoolPct
Texas A&M57%                     Wake Forest18%
Colorado45% Nebraska16%
Boston College37% Stanford15%
Mississippi State   35% Clemson15%
Texas Tech34% South Carolina15%
California34% Washington13%
Purdue33% Ohio State13%
Illinois32% Kansas13%
Virginia Tech32% Oklahoma13%
Iowa State30% Arizona State12%
Maryland28% Miami11%
Oklahoma State28% Michigan11%
Rutgers28% Syracuse11%
Oregon State27% Iowa11%
West Virginia27% TCU11%
Virginia26% Tennessee11%
UCLA26% Minnesota   11%
Washington State26% Missouri11%
Baylor25% Vanderbilt10%
Kansas State25% LSU9%
Penn State25% Arkansas9%
NC State24% Duke9%
Indiana24% Northwestern9%
Florida State23% Kentucky9%
Louisville23% Alabama8%
Utah   20% Florida8%
Georgia Tech20% Wisconsin8%
Arizona20% Texas8%
Auburn20% Georgia7%
Michigan State19% Oregon7%
Pittsburgh19% North Carolina5%
Ole Miss19% Notre Dame4%
USC19%

NuttinItUp

You can see that the larger "state" powerhouse schools have a lot lower percentage because they have lots of fans outside of alumni.

Texas, Alabama, OU, Florida, etc.

The most surprising one is A&M. Given their recent success in increasing their popularity in Texas, they seem to be straddling the line and not decreasing their ratio very much. ("Best of both worlds"?)

ricepig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 04, 2015, 08:41:45 pm
You can see that the larger "state" powerhouse schools have a lot lower percentage because they have lots of fans outside of alumni.

Texas, Alabama, OU, Florida, etc.

The most surprising one is A&M. Given their recent success in increasing their popularity in Texas, they seem to be straddling the line and not decreasing their ratio very much. ("Best of both worlds"?)

Nah, the only ones that could possibly like them are graduates.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2015, 08:56:24 pm
I know you are joking (or half-joking), but polls conducted in Texas have shown that they are more popular than the Longhorns now, likely partially as a result of their move to the SEC. (and partially that the Longhorns have been so horrible over the last few years)

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/sports/11-13-13-poll-aggies-beat-longhorns-popular-popularity-texas-college-sports/
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/texas-a-m-passes-texas-in-houston-050515
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/texas-am-overtakes-texas-longhorns-in-statewide-popularity-poll.html/

Now that may not mean as much to Arkansas folks, but to be the number one program in Texas in terms of popularity is a huge deal.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2015, 08:56:24 pm

Really...who would want to be associated with a AGGIE!? Except another AGGIE!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

BearsBisonsBoars

It's based off of Facebook likes, so the data is going to be a little skewed.

Still an interesting find. Just don't read too much into it  ;)

Hogfaniam

I read this as aluminum. Non aluminum vs aluminum. Thought we were talking about beer containers.  Wth?  Think I may go post in the embarrasing thread.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Hogfaniam on June 04, 2015, 10:00:28 pm
I read this as aluminum. Non aluminum vs aluminum. Thought we were talking about beer containers.  Wth?  Think I may go post in the embarrasing thread.
Good compromise?
Beer out of aluminum taps into glass mugs.

NuttinItUp

it took me a second to understand what you were saying, haha.

alumni ≠ aluminum

tusksincolorado

Thank you for the chuckle this morning!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

wholehog92

The most surprising one is A&M.

I disagree.  I think the most surprising in Vandy.  How the hell is only 10% of their fanbase alumni?  What have they done to attract a fan that hasn't attended the school?  Especially considering the marketing machine that is Tennessee in the hood.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

UAfanatic

Not surprised at A&M.. it just seems like some kind of weird cult from the outside.. unless you went there.. or have family that did.

I can not picture someone jumping on board out of the blue, except the spike of media hype from Johnny Football.

hoghiker

Arkansas numbers seem about right. Maybe some high. Most of the Hog fans I know never attended a class at Arkansas. Still big fans.

Hawgndaaz

I'll put my pretentious U of A grad hat on. Being an alumni makes me more of a fan of the university as a whole, not just a hog fan.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 05, 2015, 08:55:00 am
I'll put my pretentious U of A grad hat on. Being an alumni makes me more of a fan of the university as a whole, not just a hog fan.

Correct, I care that we have lost several top administrators to other universities over salary, hopefully their replacements are as good.

GuvHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 04, 2015, 09:15:30 pm
I know you are joking (or half-joking), but polls conducted in Texas have shown that they are more popular than the Longhorns now, likely partially as a result of their move to the SEC. (and partially that the Longhorns have been so horrible over the last few years)

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/sports/11-13-13-poll-aggies-beat-longhorns-popular-popularity-texas-college-sports/
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/texas-a-m-passes-texas-in-houston-050515
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/texas-am-overtakes-texas-longhorns-in-statewide-popularity-poll.html/

Now that may not mean as much to Arkansas folks, but to be the number one program in Texas in terms of popularity is a huge deal.

That's why the Longhorns fought to keep A&M from joining the SEC. As long as the Aggies had stayed in the same conference with the Longhorns, Texas would continue to be the #1 University in that state but they knew if the Aggies joined the SEC, there was a good possibility that the Aggies would pass them up which they have in both fan popularity and recruiting. One has to wonder lust how long the Longhorns will be content with being #2.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hoghiker on June 05, 2015, 08:35:19 am
Arkansas numbers seem about right. Maybe some high. Most of the Hog fans I know never attended a class at Arkansas. Still big fans.
That is ok though. There are advantages to being able to reach beyond your alumni for recruiting, donations, etc. Also, it is something that people from all parts of the state can have in common.
There are also disadvantages, but we just won't talk about those, haha.

Quote from: GuvHog on June 05, 2015, 10:57:24 am
That's why the Longhorns fought to keep A&M from joining the SEC. As long as the Aggies had stayed in the same conference with the Longhorns, Texas would continue to be the #1 University in that state but they knew if the Aggies joined the SEC, there was a good possibility that the Aggies would pass them up which they have in both fan popularity and recruiting. One has to wonder lust how long the Longhorns will be content with being #2.

Agree. The Shorthorns don't like taking that back saddle.

hawgmasta

Quote from: wholehog92 on June 05, 2015, 08:14:14 am
I disagree.  I think the most surprising in Vandy.  How the hell is only 10% of their fanbase alumni?  What have they done to attract a fan that hasn't attended the school?  Especially considering the marketing machine that is Tennessee in the hood.

There's a surprising number of Vandy fans in Nashville that didn't attend. I think for ones that grew up here that was a big draw; especially their baseball and basketball programs. When Franklin was the coach he was charismatic and had locals actually interested in the program.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 05, 2015, 01:31:42 pm
That is ok though. There are advantages to being able to reach beyond your alumni for recruiting, donations, etc. Also, it is something that people from all parts of the state can have in common.
There are also disadvantages, but we just won't talk about those, haha.

Agree. The Shorthorns don't like taking that back saddle.
they aren't really #2. no way state wide is aggie as popular as the whorn. they just aren't. but , yes, the gap closeth.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

NuttinItUp

Mississippi State at 35% vs Ole Miss at 19% is another head scratcher.

HogPound

We all know that you aren't a real ARKANSAS razorback fan if you weren't an alum or live in or around the Midwestern city of Fayetteville.

Locutus_of_Boar

Good info, thanks.

One thing to keep in mind is that RRS filled to capacity could hold half of all the Arkansas graduates since 1871. 

9% is probably way too high.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on June 06, 2015, 06:11:27 pm
Good info, thanks.

One thing to keep in mind is that RRS filled to capacity could hold half of all the Arkansas graduates since 1871. 

9% is probably way too high.

Excellent point.  Plus, there just aren't many college graduates in Arkansas period when you compare it to other states.  When you think about the number of Hog fans in the state, and then think about the relatively low number of college graduates, I'm not surprised that it's low. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Vildsvin

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 08, 2015, 10:30:07 am
Excellent point.  Plus, there just aren't many college graduates in Arkansas period when you compare it to other states.  When you think about the number of Hog fans in the state, and then think about the relatively low number of college graduates, I'm not surprised that it's low.

I was beginning to wonder if someone was going to connect the dots.

Iwastherein1969

I went two years...then Pops said that a 2.785 grade point was not cutting the mustard.....pops graduated from the UA in '48 after serving in WWII and my older brother graduated in '76...so it was with considerable butt hurt Pops told me that it was time to get closer to home and get the ol' GPA up over 3.00 or the VISA would be cut off...I was given a choice, but I figured after two years of partying at Fayettenam in the middle of the powder cocaine generation, I had finally attended my last social event at the frat house.  Came home to my HS girlfriend who graduated that year, got married two years later and got my sheepskin in Finance and Psychology (double major) from SAU in Magnolia. Question to the OP, would you consider my experiences at the UA enough to be in the 'sorta alumni' column, or the no, but kinda column, or the "hell no, you didn't stick it out like the rest of us" column ?  I've been wanting to get an opinion on this for a quite some time, now.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hoghiker

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 14, 2015, 11:59:47 pm
I went two years...then Pops said that a 2.785 grade point was not cutting the mustard.....pops graduated from the UA in '48 after serving in WWII and my older brother graduated in '76...so it was with considerable butt hurt Pops told me that it was time to get closer to home and get the ol' GPA up over 3.00 or the VISA would be cut off...I was given a choice, but I figured after two years of partying at Fayettenam in the middle of the powder cocaine generation, I had finally attended my last social event at the frat house.  Came home to my HS girlfriend who graduated that year, got married two years later and got my sheepskin in Finance and Psychology (double major) from SAU in Magnolia. Question to the OP, would you consider my experiences at the UA enough to be in the 'sorta alumni' column, or the no, but kinda column, or the "hell no, you didn't stick it out like the rest of us" column ?  I've been wanting to get an opinion on this for a quite some time, now.
Two years gives you some street cred. My sister attended UA for two years then followed her husband to Okie Lite. She still considers her self a UA girl. I occasionally give her some good natured crap about be a cowpoke.

Vildsvin

DeltaBoy

I wentto UALR. cause that is when the money was.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on June 15, 2015, 03:34:37 pm
I think it would be more insulting to ask a Razorback fan if they were an alumni. They might get the false impression that i thought they had to be to be a fan. Most Razorback fans are not alumni of the UofA.

I enjoy discussing Razorback athletics with Razorback fans, that is why I come here, to get the scoop on Razorback athletics. This is my primary source of all things Razorbacks.

Yeah, someone shouldn't put out false impressions.......

Cinco de Hogo

Pretty much the day a normal everyday Razorback fan becomes unimportant to the U of A is the day they just as well cease all athletic endeavors.  We have a problem getting respect now because of the size of our state.  If you lost 95% of the fans why would ESPN every televise a game.  And please, I doubt that the percentage of grads that watch a game is any higher if as high a the normal fan.

Note that I'm inferring that grads are not normal. :)

MJ2

I'm a U of A grad, however in all my working years, I have to admit that most all of my co workers were NOT U of A grads, but virtually all call themselves Hog fans.   If I had to guess, something less than 5% of the people I have worked around/with have been U of A grads.   Also, I think the drop out rate at the U of A is waaaaayyyy higher than the other 4 year schools in the state.

Seminole Indian

June 15, 2015, 05:42:08 pm #32 Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:01:29 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: MJ2 on June 15, 2015, 04:37:02 pm
I'm a U of A grad, however in all my working years, I have to admit that most all of my co workers were NOT U of A grads, but virtually all call themselves Hog fans.   If I had to guess, something less than 5% of the people I have worked around/with have been U of A grads.   Also, I think the drop out rate at the U of A is waaaaayyyy higher than the other 4 year schools in the state.
I think most people have similar experiences.

As far as the drop out-rate, I know a few ASU students that went down the tube as a result of the UofA being a party school many years ago. I was almost one because my girlfriend was a student at the UofA.

I was lucky she dumped me for someone who dumped her.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 05, 2015, 10:37:26 pm
Mississippi State at 35% vs Ole Miss at 19% is another head scratcher.

Not really.  It just means OM has more T-shirt fans.  If the person in the state has no connection to any school they are going to pull for OM.  OM has been the traditionally stronger program.  I'm talking last 80 years not last 20.  So my grand pappy was an OM fan my pappy was an OM fan so I'm an OM fan.  Have I ever been within 100 miles of Oxford?  No. 

I lived in MS for 10 years and saw this first hand.  Some of the most ignorant non educated people I knew were OM fans even though actual OM alumni wouldn't give them the time of day.  I'd hazard a guess that if they didn't have 2 P5 schools in the state that OM's% would be in the low single digits. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Seminole Indian

June 15, 2015, 06:11:44 pm #34 Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:23:58 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 15, 2015, 06:01:42 pm
Not really.  It just means OM has more T-shirt fans.  If the person in the state has no connection to any school they are going to pull for OM.  OM has been the traditionally stronger program.  I'm talking last 80 years not last 20.  So my grand pappy was an OM fan my pappy was an OM fan so I'm an OM fan.  Have I ever been within 100 miles of Oxford?  No. 

I lived in MS for 10 years and saw this first hand.  Some of the most ignorant non educated people I knew were OM fans even though actual OM alumni wouldn't give them the time of day. I'd hazard a guess that if they didn't have 2 P5 schools in the state that OM's% would be in the low single digits.
Great post, and IMO pretty darn accurate.

Now just substitute Arkansas for Ole Miss, apply it to this state, and you have nailed the average Razorback Fan, and that is a fact, like it are not.

Don't worry there will not be another P5 School in Arkansas.

Forgot to add.........what is wrong with being THE team by default? I don't see many downsides.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 15, 2015, 06:01:42 pm

I lived in MS for 10 years and saw this first hand.  Some of the most ignorant non educated people I knew were OM fans even though actual OM alumni wouldn't give them the time of day.  I'd hazard a guess that if they didn't have 2 P5 schools in the state that OM's% would be in the low single digits. 

Quote from: Seminole Indian on June 15, 2015, 06:11:44 pm
Great post, and IMO pretty darn accurate.

Now just substitute Arkansas for Ole Miss, apply it to this state, and you have nailed the average Razorback Fan, and that is a fact, like it are not.

Don't worry there will not be another P5 School in Arkansas.

Forgot to add.........what is wrong with being THE team by default?

I guess I am wondering why the pejorative attitude on people that are not alumni being fans. If it is the intent to presume that a non-alumnus is somehow a toothless hillbilly Arkie and that all the "blessed" UofA grads are glitterati that are better than the rest of the fans, well, that is elitist at the best and laughable at the worst, since only in Arkansas would a UofA grad think he or she wasn't a toothless hillbilly. Everywhere else in the country, they think we marry our cousins and we all have "done gradiated the sixth grade."

Come down off your half-pulpit.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on June 15, 2015, 06:31:37 pm
I guess I am wondering why the pejorative attitude on people that are not alumni being fans. If it is the intent to presume that a non-alumnus is somehow a toothless hillbilly Arkie and that all the "blessed" UofA grads are glitterati that are better than the rest of the fans, well, that is elitist at the best and laughable at the worst, since only in Arkansas would a UofA grad think he or she wasn't a toothless hillbilly. Everywhere else in the country, they think we marry our cousins and we all have "done gradiated the sixth grade."

Note, I did not say that except specifically for Ole Miss.  Arkansas get's a lot of fans by default because their is no other P5 school in the state. 

In Mississippi fans could choose OM or MSU but a much higher % of non alumni fans choose OM, and was giving first hand knowledge of the one's that I know.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 15, 2015, 07:09:42 pm
Note, I did not say that except specifically for Ole Miss.  Arkansas get's a lot of fans by default because their is no other P5 school in the state. 

In Mississippi fans could choose OM or MSU but a much higher % of non alumni fans choose OM, and was giving first hand knowledge of the one's that I know.

Well, if you're making fun of Mississippi, then, that's perfectly understandable, lol! ;)
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Seminole Indian

Stating the opinion that based on ones experience that most Razorback fans are not alumni of the UofA, or most people that call themselves Razorback fans  have never attended a Razorback athletic event IMO does not require anyone to "Come down off your half-pulpit.".

That the first post nails the average Razorback fan one will encounter in Arkansas's is probably inevitable based on who and what the average Arkansan is.

I still don't think that those in attendance at a  Razorback athletic event are truly representative of the majority of Razorback fans. In fact I would not be surprised if  the non-Arkansas alumni did not outnumber the Arkansas Alumni in attendance, and i don't see the problem with that either.

Again just observations and opinions appropriate to what this thread is about and not a put down to anyone.

TexHog188

I'm the only U of A grad in my family, but we are all Hog fans to the core. Counting my brother and sisters and their families, we are about 15 people. 1/15 is a low alumni rate.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

ricepig

There's no doubt that any school has more alumni fans, than non, except I guess for some Ivy league type.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2015, 09:15:29 pm
There's no doubt that any school has more alumni fans, than non, except I guess for some Ivy league type.

Did you misspeak?  Or am I dense?

ricepig

JansterZ71

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Hogwild

QuoteTexas A&M   57%                           
Colorado   45%      
Boston College   37%      
Mississippi State      35%      
Texas Tech   34%      
California   34%      
Purdue   33%      
Illinois   32%      
Virginia Tech   32%      
Iowa State   30%   

Not surprising if you think about it, who would want to be a fan of one of those schools unless you went to one of those schools.

hoghiker

Most Hogs fans I know didn't attend UA. I've never considered them lesser fans than I. They are fans. I'm not sure why anyone would want to make the distinction.

Inhogswetrust

What I found most interesting is the last graphic. Notice how in those states that the program that historically has the better team is less alums. I do haver to wonder IF that historical winning changed over time if the percentage would as well. I'd bet it would. Kind of the old saying "everyone loves a winner".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jesterzzn

I guess I am wondering why the pejorative attitude on people that are not alumni being fans.

The attitude stems from the majority of non-alumni caring little for the actual students and university and the athletic departments being forced to straddle the line between what is best for the long term interests of those groups and what is purely best for wins and loses.

Some alumni turn that into snobbery and elitist mentality, but not all.  And while I don't like that attitude, I do understand how they got there.  It is difficult to read some of the bull that is posted on these forums by people that could not give one chit in the world about what happens outside the football stadium, at least not without sounding like an elitist scumbag.

popcornhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 14, 2015, 11:59:47 pm

Technically, you ARE an alumnus of the UA. Having attended counts.

I did not realize that until a couple of years ago. Between undergrad, law school, and study abroad and classes at community college -- I am technically an alumnus of the UA, UALR, Oxford, UACCB, and OU. But I really only consider myself an alumnus of the UA and UALR as those are the institutions where I earned degrees.

Like you, I had a sub 3.0 gpa my first year in Fayetteville and got yanked home to community college to straighten myself out.

Anyone who thinks that you had to graduate from the UA to be a real fan is an idiot.
WPS

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2015, 10:53:16 am
I meant it the other way around, lol.
There's that post-secondary edumacation working for you again...