Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rob Smith, Rory Segrest

Started by RebelW, November 28, 2016, 09:42:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

I want them gone, but it doesn't look good for me when I see them taking in home visits with recruits. Killing me!

ricepig

Quote from: RebelW on November 28, 2016, 09:42:45 am
I want them gone, but it doesn't look good for me when I see them taking in home visits with recruits. Killing me!

You don't stop recruiting, they aren't going anywhere until after a bowl game, if they go.

EastArkHog 47

I think this staff will remain intact unless someone leaves on their own, don't think anyone is getting the axe. Not saying that's a good thing, after all they recruited some of these D backs who have turtle legs.

RebelW

I wouldn't stops recruiting but would send someone that will for sure be here next year

Tim Harris

Quote from: RebelW on November 28, 2016, 09:53:41 am
I wouldn't stops recruiting but would send someone that will for sure be here next year

Unless I missed it neither of them were out recruiting alone.

RebelW

If CBB doesn't think his coaches are the problem, will he atleast blame himself on the kids they recruited?
It could be the best thing for this team for this SR group to leave. That was the last of CBP kids. The Srs might have been the problem????

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 09:47:09 am
You don't stop recruiting, they aren't going anywhere until after a bowl game, if they go.

It isn't uncommon for assistants to be let go after the regular season and grad assistants or the head coach covers their position.  Why hold onto them? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 10:05:15 am
It isn't uncommon for assistants to be let go after the regular season and grad assistants or the head coach covers their position.  Why hold onto them? 

It isn't common, either. I suspect that either he isn't ready to make the change, isn't going to make a change, or is letting the process work itself out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 10:09:15 am
It isn't common, either. I suspect that either he isn't ready to make the change, isn't going to make a change, or is letting the process work itself out.

Letting the job market open for opportunities for them. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

Judging by his post game statement, I don't think he is going to make a change, not at the level the fanbase is hoping for anyway. He may replace Segrest but Smith isn't going anywhere imo.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

3kgthog

Oh, there they go! There they go! Every time I start talkin' bout this team's struggles, a Hog fan gotta pull BP out their ***. That's their one. That's their one excuse!

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2016, 10:10:56 am
Judging by his post game statement, I don't think he is going to make a change, not at the level the fanbase is hoping for anyway. He may replace Segrest but Smith isn't going anywhere imo.

I can agree with that, time will tell.

longpig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 10:05:15 am

Being without a DL coach definitely didn't hurt Mizzou on Friday.  :'(
Don't be scared, be smart.

RedyorNot

The coaching carousel is still moving, so who knows at this point. Not to mention CBB spins it both ways by saying coaching continuity is important to him, yet also saying if he has a chance to upgrade he will.

If he lost confidence in the defensive alignment and schemes enough to step in and make changes though, I don't see how he'd have confidence with one or both of them going forward.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

We've heard him on several occasions say stick to what you believe in and don't flinch. I'm afraid that's what is going to happen. In the end he'll be packing instead of flinching because of this.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

RebelW

The thing that keeps me with a little hope is that CBB isn't dumb. Stubborn but not dumb. If he don't think it's the coaches then it has to be the SR class.

jjdlc

I've heard so many coaches make that exact same statement, only to show several coaches the door.  Most HCs do not talk about coaching turnover right after the last game, especially when they are hitting the recruiting trail the following week.  Our coaching situation will play itself out however its going to regardless of what CBB said in that PC.

HF#1

Quote from: jjdlc on November 28, 2016, 10:25:49 am
I've heard so many coaches make that exact same statement, only to show several coaches the door.  Most HCs do not talk about coaching turnover right after the last game, especially when they are hitting the recruiting trail the following week.  Our coaching situation will play itself out however its going to regardless of what CBB said in that PC.

Most make a general statement, like, "We will evaluate and move forward".  He said "I'm not making any changes before or after the bowl game."  He left very little wiggle room.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

How does he manage the message with recruits?  It is obviously on social media with rumors and the opinions of the fan base. 

"Coach Segrest is staying." My guess is this is the message to recruits and when Segrest "leaves" for another job it will sold as he left for another job and his leaving came as a surprise. 

It is that or fire and leave recruits wondering through the dead period who may replace him. 

longpig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2016, 10:28:58 am
Most make a general statement, like, "We will evaluate and move forward".  He said "I'm not making any changes before or after the bowl game."  He left very little wiggle room.

What he said was he wasn't 'planning' on making changes and would be doing a season review.  There will be changes after the review, a whole lot better assistants have been let go than Segrest and Smith. 

jackflash

nothing will be done until after recruiting if then

a0ashle

Remember last year when everyone was worried that we were too slow and big in the middle and didn't get any pass pressure and then CBB and staff moved some of quicker guys inside? Remember that? That didn't turn out so well, but anyone arguing he hasn't tried to fix our DL issues is talking out of their nether regions.

Complain about making the wrong moves or about him not getting the talent he needs, so be it, but you can not say that he is unwilling to make changes to staff or scheme, he has done it his whole career. You can't paint him with that brush.

East TN HAWG

It is disingenuous to parade these coaches in front of recruits, unless you plan on keeping the coaches. 

I hope he makes changes.  This makes me nervous. 

onebadrubi

Put me on the side that supports Bielema but want to see something change. 

I'm still holding out that will happen too. Bielema is probably as professional as they come, and because of that if he wants a coach to move on, those channels are probably being worked currently.  Without know his in depth past it appears he doesn't can guys and put them in the street, except the mark M example.  We've seen time and time again assistants we didn't think were working out take jobs elsewhere and not find out till later the real reason.

a0ashle

How do you guys feel about Rhoades being promoted to Co-DC? Just a thought.

ricepig

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 28, 2016, 10:44:03 am
It is disingenuous to parade these coaches in front of recruits, unless you plan on keeping the coaches. 

It's part of the game, we may not like it, but it goes on until after signing day.

Sir Oinksalot

...maybe the players on D. . are like some of us, they don't know who IS calling the shots...

Something has their mind off football ....one thing that sticks in my goard is Duop saying he didn't want to play defense because he didn't want to hit.....he got that from somewhere and its like a bad infection if it spreads....

Those teams that beat the snot outta us couldn't wait to hit us, "hurry up and snap it so I can get at you again"  that Mo. linebacker on a last place team couldn't wait to hit us...

Our guys a lot of the time turn their back completely around on a tackle......
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Sir Oinksalot

...we should have a mini boot camp before the bowl game and find out who really wants it.

Give me some desire give me some hitters.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

31to6

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 10:34:16 am
How does he manage the message with recruits?  It is obviously on social media with rumors and the opinions of the fan base. 
Who cares?

The problems are so basic across the board on defense that it doesn't matter *who* we recruit. Vanderbilt plays much, much better defense with less talent than us. I don't expect us to become a top 10 defense overnight, but I refuse to believe that we don't have the talent to be a "salty, stubborn" defense that creates turnovers and tackles.

The current class has some good players, but it's not like the class is so loaded we can afford to live with bad coaching in the hopes that better players in a bad scheme with bad technique and inconsistent effort will somehow become a good defense.

Tim Harris

Quote from: a0ashle on November 28, 2016, 10:46:22 am

I would say it would change nothing.  Usually when you give someone a CO-DC/OC title it is just for money.  You still have to have a single person who is in charge and making the calls.

longpig

Quote from: a0ashle on November 28, 2016, 10:43:29 am
Remember last year when everyone was worried that we were too slow and big in the middle and didn't get any pass pressure and then CBB and staff moved some of quicker guys inside? Remember that? That didn't turn out so well, but anyone arguing he hasn't tried to fix our DL issues is talking out of their nether regions.

Complain about making the wrong moves or about him not getting the talent he needs, so be it, but you can not say that he is unwilling to make changes to staff or scheme, he has done it his whole career. You can't paint him with that brush.

and has recruited very well to the position with Jackson, Capps, Agim, Guidry and others too.  DL is poorly coached or coordinating with ain't happening.  Or both.

31to6

Quote from: longpig on November 28, 2016, 11:04:41 am
and has recruited very well to the position with Jackson, Capps, Agim, Guidry and others too.  DL is poorly coached or coordinating with ain't happening.  Or both.
I blame Robb Smith (and CBB?) for jacking around with player's natural positions for a lot of the problem.

He's obsessed with playing undersized players inside and I think CBB is obsessed with bulking up players who need to stay lean.

HogTakes

It makes perfect sense for Arkansas to hire Charlie Partridge now that he has been fired by FIU. The defensive line has progressively gotten worse since his departure and we've lost a lot of our ties to Florida. Partridge should serve as D-Line coach and defensive coordinator. Paul Rhoades can take over the entire secondary and potentially serve as Co-DC.

ricepig

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on November 28, 2016, 10:59:52 am

...we should have a mini boot camp before the bowl game and find out who really wants it.

Give me some desire give me some hitters.

No doubt, they went full pads before Florida, maybe we need to do it every week.

Kevin

Quote from: HogTakes on November 28, 2016, 11:17:18 am
It makes perfect sense for Arkansas to hire Charlie Partridge now that he has been fired by FIU. The defensive line has progressively gotten worse since his departure and we've lost a lot of our ties to Florida. Partridge should serve as D-Line coach and defensive coordinator. Paul Rhoades can take over the entire secondary and potentially serve as Co-DC.

at least hire him as an consultant for the bowl game
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

We need a DL coach with a strong history of player development and the ability to recruit......What was that? Charlie Partridge is available? hmm
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I hope it was just coach speak
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

onebadrubi

Quote from: a0ashle on November 28, 2016, 10:46:22 am

Not a supporter. Right now each unit has a coach and somewhere to lay blame. I also am
Not a supporter of the demotion that puts on smith whether it's implied, said, or not. Doing so basically says smith can't do it so no need to retain him anyways.

onebadrubi

Bingo. We aren't sure which but it's one of the two, coaching or coordinating (include game plan and scheme here). 

The Kig

He pretty emphatically said (TWICE) during his post game presser that he wasn't making ANY changes.  Coach speak?  Maybe, but certainly didn't sound like it.  Would have been worded differently to give himself some wiggle room if it was going to be him making changes. 

So that leaves him not willing to or letting the process work its way out (i.e. they magically find other positions on their own) as the options.  After a historically bad run defense this year and an awful pass defense last year, I can't fathom how he wouldn't make changes.  Maybe this is all happening behind the scenes already, but to not acknowledge that change needs to happen is mind boggling... and I am a supporter of CBB.
Poker Porker

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 31to6 on November 28, 2016, 11:09:43 am
I blame Robb Smith (and CBB?) for jacking around with player's natural positions for a lot of the problem.

He's obsessed with playing undersized players inside and I think CBB is obsessed with bulking up players who need to stay lean.
+100
According to Wisconsin fan boards, Bielema has a thing for moving LB's to DE (Randy Ramsey), and moving DE's to DT (Agim)

ricepig

Quote from: The Kig on November 28, 2016, 12:07:30 pm
He pretty emphatically said (TWICE) during his post game presser that he wasn't making ANY changes.  Coach speak?  Maybe, but certainly didn't sound like it.  Would have been worded differently to give himself some wiggle room if it was going to be him making changes. 

So that leaves him not willing to or letting the process work its way out (i.e. they magically find other positions on their own) as the options.  After a historically bad run defense this year and an awful pass defense last year, I can't fathom how he wouldn't make changes.  Maybe this is all happening behind the scenes already, but to not acknowledge that change needs to happen is mind boggling... and I am a supporter of CBB.

He also said he had no "plans" for it, and they we never know what happens in college coaching jobs, i.e., Partridge getting fired, etc. As I said, we'll see.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

+1 Glad im not the only one that sees this

King Kong

November 28, 2016, 12:23:09 pm #43 Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:51:48 pm by King Kong
Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 28, 2016, 12:08:12 pm
+100
According to Wisconsin fan boards, Bielema has a thing for moving LB's to DE (Randy Ramsey), and moving DE's to DT (Agim)

Not sure that is accurate as he moved Chris Borland from DE/Rush LB to Middle. Also moved Ramsey back to LB more second half of the year

a0ashle

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 12:16:12 pm
He also said he had no "plans" for it, and they we never know what happens in college coaching jobs, i.e., Partridge getting fired, etc. As I said, we'll see.

He has said the same thing after every season

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 28, 2016, 10:44:03 am

Maybe they are recruiting players for their next job on UA's budget?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

LRHawg

If Partridge would come back, you have to get him.

lechon

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

WarHog38

Quote from: RebelW on November 28, 2016, 09:42:45 am
They cannot coach and are poor recruiters, Michael Smith was the prime recruiter of the last DL commit. They should already be gone.  Just chalk it up to Bielema still again not doing what is best for the program as when he kicks players off the team for missing class and being late to team meetings.  While Saban keeps stolen gun toters.  That puts this program at an un-needed disadvantage.   However he is educating us slow talking hick rubes. That is what really matters. Not football.  Some Hog fans are buying that over realizing he is just a poor coach.  Bielema was counting on them being a easy sell from the start. His assistants was his success at Wisconsin. He just doesn't have them on defense here and doesn't much care drawing $4.2 Million yearly.  After it goes through the woodpile, him & Long laugh all the way to the bank.  When that crazy huge contract buyout comes reality being rolled every year to do so, they will both reap royal millions.  It was set up that way over the table and under it.  Long is a con.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 09:47:09 am

A friend and I were talking about this....I said I wasn't sure when coordinators got swapped. You're right, head coaches are replaced asafp, but coordinators are usually kept until after the bowl season.