Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My take

Started by mizzouman, November 28, 2016, 08:09:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Looks like the dust has settle just a bit so I'll give my take on the game for those who are interested.

I am shocked we won.  We are the worse team in the SEC by far this year.  I thought it would be an up and down game, basketball type score.  I was expecting a total of 30 more points scored and in the end, the Hogs scoring about 12-15 more points.  It was looking that way at halftime.

That being said, I knew we would get the offense on track in the second half.  The plays were there in the first half, but WR drops didn't help.  Also, the plays ran in the first half, sets up plays that are run in the second half.  WR routes are different from half to half and Arkansas didn't make that adjustment.  It's what we've done all year long and Bielema should have known.  We could have easily scored 2 or 3 more TD's.

This is what surprised me.  Defensively, we changed up a bit.  I'm sure most of you didn't realize but we ran a lot of DE's as DT's in the second half to get more speed up front.  We tried this before but did not work as well.  At times, there were 4 DE's in the DL at the same time.  Arkansas OL couldn't handle some of the speed up front.  This is why I'm surprised of some of the play calling.  Should have pounded the ball more but that's always hindsight.  Odom has a very good defensive mind.  Didn't look that way this year, but towards the end, he took the defensive play calling away from the DC and changed the scheme.  Not something you want to do after 9 games, but was necessary.  Also, he fired our DL coach prior to the UT game so there was that adjustment to make.

In the end, Arkansas is still a much better team this year.  However, Odom will get that defense fixed and the offense should be even better next year having everyone back plus a few more.  I think Mizzou's future is bright.  Can't say the same for the hoops program.  That's another story.

The crowd.  As expected.  Missouri fans support the Tigers but with only winning 3 games, you will never get a good crowd for the last game of the year, during Thanksgiving.  Watching it at home it a much better choice along with saving a bunch of money.  I've said all along, money is tight these days and if it's basically free on TV, then what are you going to do? 

HF#1

As much as I'd like to give you guys credit, I'm not going to. It was more about what we didn't do than what you did do.  You may have the worst team in the SEC but we have the worst defense and ultimately it is was determined the outcome and is why we are 7-5.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

3kgthog

I'll give Mizzou credit if others won't.

Their staff outcoached our bumbling idiots in the 2nd half. Our guys are the kings of non-adjustment and showing an inability to refocus a team in-game. Mizzou's players listened, took the gameplan, and spanked us relatively easily after withstanding the initial punch to the face. They probably should've scored 40+ points, truth be told.

So, props to Odom. He took advantage of weaknesses that other coaches exploited all season. It seems some outside the program understand our flaws better than our own staff. That's troubling to me, but it appears we truly are uncommon (in a bad way).

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 28, 2016, 08:22:32 am

Their staff outcoached our bumbling idiots in the 2nd half. Our guys are the kings of non-adjustment and showing an inability to refocus a team in-game. Mizzou's players listened, took the gameplan, and spanked us relatively easily after withstanding the initial punch to the face. They probably should've scored 40+ points, truth be told.

So, props to Odom. He took advantage of weaknesses that other coaches exploited all season. It seems some outside the program understand our flaws better than our own staff. That's troubling to me, but it appears we truly are uncommon (in a bad way).
This  We got punked by the Zoo staff and their QB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgTrough

ARK was lucky that this game was even close. Take away the drops and this game is a laugher. Good work Mizzou
WPS

HogShat

Quote from: HawgTrough on November 28, 2016, 08:24:45 am
ARK was lucky that this game was even close. Take away the drops and this game is a laugher. Good work Mizzou

Sadly.... This^^^

howie76

We had no fire in us the second half, coaches or players. They did, all u can do is tip your hat to em.

go hogues

I was jealous of those shots of Odom and the staff firing up the players. We have not seen anything like that from our staff in a long time.

Give credit to Missouri - they were the better team that day.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

LRrazorback

CBB will lose a game he shouldn't, he waited till the last game this year.

Time for a new coach, very obvious he's not going to get it done here

Piggfoot

This is my answer to defending up tempo offensives and for that matter any offense.
Your main recruiting should include at least three DE's per year and only one DT. In a four year cycle you should have 9DE's and 3DE's redshirting. For short yardage you would have 3DT and 1 RS. For Line backers you have to recruit more speed. Forget the Middle linebacker prototype.
If he's not fast enough to cover the slot or upspeed tight ends, he is a libility. Speed is King.  Also is there a rule against using your Larger OLinemen on Defense as OT's on short yardage? I should think not.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 28, 2016, 08:58:51 am
This is my answer to defending up tempo offensives and for that matter any offense.
Your main recruiting should include at least three DE's per year and only one DT. In a four year cycle you should have 9DE's and 3DE's redshirting. For short yardage you would have 3DT and 1 RS. For Line backers you have to recruit more speed. Forget the Middle linebacker prototype.
If he's not fast enough to cover the slot or upspeed tight ends, he is a libility. Speed is King.  Also is there a rule against using your Larger DLinemen on Defense as OT's on short yardage? I should think not.
Alabama does this all the time and it almost always works. Seen it a lot against Auburn this past weekend. They used them as blocking TE's and fullbacks.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

DLUXHOG

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 28, 2016, 08:22:32 am

Both teams should have scored more (we left, what? 3 TDs in the closet after almost getting there?)..............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

The Kig

Congrats on the win.  They are always tough to come by in the SEC.  Tale of two halves and as has been the case many times this year, we didn't adjust to what you were doing differently. 

This year, any team with a decent QB, decent run game, decent Offensive balance, heck even average Offense with a pulse has had their way with this defense.  There were several drops by your receivers where they had 2-3 steps on anyone who could have caught them that made the game closer than it really was.  We had not only the worst Defense in the SEC, but a historically bad run defense. 

Where we have been able to contend with teams is by having an Offense that we could count on to at least keep us in it.  We did that for the first half and somehow completely crapped the bed in the 2nd half.  I don't even think it was so much the adjustments that Mizzou made as much as it was just terrible execution of poorly called plays.  As completely awful as our Defense was, we still should have been able to outscore you... but we didn't.  A team is the sum of the parts, so we were NOT the better team on Friday.

Poker Porker

Atlhogfan1

I hate this game.  End of the season, anticlimactic.  I kind of get how LSU felt some years with us.  I so wish Mizzou would leave the SEC.  The B1G doesn't want them though. 

Momentum is huge in football.  With all of the mistakes and whatever adjustments Mizzou made, the game was lost on the fake punt.  We felt secure at the half and in the second half while up 10- not us the fans but the team and coaches.  You knew they were all daydreaming and breathing a sigh of relief after we held Mizzou to the 3 and out before the fake.  Forgot we were playing a team with nothing to lose. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mizzouman

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 28, 2016, 09:08:29 am
Both teams should have scored more (we left, what? 3 TDs in the closet after almost getting there?)..............
Yeah, I think AA decision making on the 2 INT's were inexcusable.  He was pressing way too much.  Wanted to do way too much.  But, I think there's a difference between that and just WR flat out dropping perfectly thrown balls for TD's. 

Anyway, all that is part of the game. 

lutherheggs

Arkansas cannot win 2 games in a row. Arkansas obviously cannot get focused after a winning week. That is purely a coaching issue.

Atlhogfan1

This game reminded me of Toledo and ULM even in the first half.  The first Mizzou TD.  So close on getting turnovers.  The missed FG.  Wasted opportunities.  AA's int's and the offenses horrible red zone execution.  And Mizzou was so close on so many pass plays.  It just felt like one of those days.  Again, it is why when the fake punt happened, to me it was game lost. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tophawg19

AA was pressing because CBB didn't trust the field goal unit to get 2 kicks in .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 28, 2016, 09:33:55 am
AA was pressing because CBB didn't trust the field goal unit to get 2 kicks in .

I think the defense plays a large part in this as well.  They can't be trusted so "normal" football decisions can't be made. 

I'm not thinking AA pressed.  I think Mizzou has speed up front defensively.  It is one of the things they have done well in recruiting.  And AA has a poor feel for a pass rush and we or he doesn't help himself pre snap. 

code red

Congrats to Mizzou....for cleaning out our trophy case. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: mizzouman on November 28, 2016, 09:18:22 am
Yeah, I think AA decision making on the 2 INT's were inexcusable.  He was pressing way too much.  Wanted to do way too much.  But, I think there's a difference between that and just WR flat out dropping perfectly thrown balls for TD's. 

Anyway, all that is part of the game. 
CBB should have kicked the field goal at the 4 min mark.  Then we would be talking differently....still not happy but at least we would have got the W.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 09:38:02 am
I think the defense plays a large part in this as well.  They can't be trusted so "normal" football decisions can't be made. 

I'm not thinking AA pressed.  I think Mizzou has speed up front defensively.  It is one of the things they have done well in recruiting.  And AA has a poor feel for a pass rush and we or he doesn't help himself pre snap. 
I think you're right about AA's feel for pressure.  But unlike BA who would just throw the ball in the stands (some exceptions), I think AA tries to do too much.  BA had a knack for just throwing the ball away where AA hangs on too much and tries to make a play that's not there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 28, 2016, 09:33:55 am
After we had made a 33 yard field goal earlier in the game. Come on man. That's just an excuse. AA made a couple of bad decisions instead of just throwing the ball away and Coach B made a couple of bone headed coaching decisions by not kicking the field goals plain & simple. We take those 9 points we win the game. Or at least make it harder on Missouri.

mizzouman

Quote from: code red on November 28, 2016, 09:45:14 am
CBB should have kicked the field goal at the 4 min mark.  Then we would be talking differently....still not happy but at least we would have got the W.
The FG may or may not have made a difference.  Say you make it a 1 point game with 4 minutes left.  The offensive strategy would have been different.  We may have scored leaving you less than a minute, if any time at all, to get a TD.  In other words, you would have had to score again with much less time.

In that situation, on the road, you go for the win.  Now, if you had 6 or 7 minutes left, different story, but with only 4 minutes left, I would have done the same thing. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: mizzouman on November 28, 2016, 09:50:15 am
The FG may or may not have made a difference.  Say you make it a 1 point game with 4 minutes left.  The offensive strategy would have been different.  We may have scored leaving you less than a minute, if any time at all, to get a TD.  In other words, you would have had to score again with much less time.

In that situation, on the road, you go for the win.  Now, if you had 6 or 7 minutes left, different story, but with only 4 minutes left, I would have done the same thing. 

Dreaming again?  I seriously don't understand how we lost this one..........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HF#1

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 28, 2016, 09:58:25 am

Mizzou's big play ability combined with our crappy secondary is how we lost.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lutherheggs

All those offensive stats mean ZERO when you throw two picks in the EZ after long drives. And when you give up a lot of long pass plays, does not require much time for opposing offense to score. Thus, the opponent will not have a bunch of first downs, run plays, rush yards, and will have a low TOP.

RacinRazorback

Yet another embarrassing loss! Sometimes its the way we lose that's the most disturbing. Mizzou, Awbern, A&M every year, Toledo! All games where we didn't show up at all or managed to give the game away! I have been a CBB fan his entire time at the Hill, but I am beginning to believe he WILL NOT get it done here. No defense, predictable offense, average QB at best, and my pet peave is watching a mobile QB scorch us EVERY time we play against one! Somehow he has to recruit better, a #25 to #35 ranked recruiting class in the SEC West has not got it done and never will! His style may have worked up north, but I just don't think it will in the SEC West! The mizzou game was hard to watch, no passion, no fire, no desire to win was what I took from the 2nd half, awful, pitiful, embarrassing, just to name a few of the things that come to mind. I guess we are on to the Fettucini bowl or some other 2nd rate bowl game. WPS! Hopefully we show up and play a full game against Slippery Rock or whatever formidable opponent we play!

mizzouman

Not dreaming, real world.  Stats can tell any story you want it to tell.  I'm looking at the game flow.  Those stats are skewed because Arkansas did a great job in the first half controlling the ball.  But the second half momentum was not there for Arkansas.  Take the shot to win on the road in that particular scenario.  I don't have an issue with Bielema going for it there.  Again, more time, different story, but with 4 minutes left, Arkansas may not have gotten the ball back.

Pork Twain

This just in, Arkansas was the only team upset this year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 28, 2016, 10:29:43 am
Yeah, but the difference is we don't care about the other teams that got upset. We care about Arkansas. Well, let me take that back. I forgot about the Petrino fans that got upset by Kentucky. :( :'(

HF#1

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 28, 2016, 10:29:43 am

What about by a 3-8 team?

longpig

Good take on it, Mizzouman.  I was wondering where all that speed on the D line was coming from in 2nd half.  I just figured Odom had drugged the players up like race horses, the way Malzahan did his against us.  I'm even more pissed now knowing you were going light and fast and Enos didn't adjust. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

mizzouman

Quote from: longpig on November 28, 2016, 11:16:13 am
Good take on it, Mizzouman.  I was wondering where all that speed on the D line was coming from in 2nd half.  I just figured Odom had drugged the players up like race horses, the way Malzahan did his against us.  I'm even more pissed now knowing you were going light and fast and Enos didn't adjust. 
We've gone light up front before due to the lack of depth at DT.  Losing 2 studs on the DL doesn't help.

TeufelHog

Attended the game in Columbia and it should have been a "laugher" from Mizzou's point of view.  I remember 2 dropped passes by Mizzou WRs that were TDs had they caught them -AND- at least 3 more deep strikes to wide open Mizzou WRs that were just simply over-thrown by the QB.  We didn't, but we should have lost by at least 3 more TDs.

Bottom-line, the Mizzou player's just flat-out wanted it more on Friday.  Our Hogs came in thinking it was going to be an easy win from the SEC East "cellar-dweller" and Mizzou took their lunch money.  It was embarrassing/sickening to watch.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: mizzouman on November 28, 2016, 09:45:38 am
I think you're right about AA's feel for pressure.  But unlike BA who would just throw the ball in the stands (some exceptions), I think AA tries to do too much.  BA had a knack for just throwing the ball away where AA hangs on too much and tries to make a play that's not there.

Good memory. BA did give up on some plays too early, and throw it away.

AA needs to have the "internal clock" run faster. On his first pick there was some contact from a pass rusher...so you could fault the line for not holding off the Mizzou D (true), or AA for not knowing the inevitable rush was coming (also true).

Early on this season, I didn't fault AA for his picks, because he had to try something. Even if he was forcing it. But this late in the year, he can't be surprised by the heat he's getting when he drops back to pass. He's gotta unload it quicker.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on November 28, 2016, 10:28:46 pm
Good memory. BA did give up on some plays too early, and throw it away.

AA needs to have the "internal clock" run faster. On his first pick there was some contact from a pass rusher...so you could fault the line for not holding off the Mizzou D (true), or AA for not knowing the inevitable rush was coming (also true).

Early on this season, I didn't fault AA for his picks, because he had to try something. Even if he was forcing it. But this late in the year, he can't be surprised by the heat he's getting when he drops back to pass. He's gotta unload it quicker.
Or take off running. He's had plenty of chances to do that this year with open field in front of him but for whatever reason he just wont do it. I know he is a better athlete than most people knew. Picking up three or four yards on a play is better than picking up nothing at all.