Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorbacks' Largest Blown Halftime Lead Since 1971.

Started by Youngsta71701, November 28, 2016, 06:35:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Enough said...
To make matters worst is that it came to a (3-8) (1-6) Missouri team.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/The-Hutch-Report-Missouri-49253132?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=161126_145946_Arkansas%20Razorbacks&utm_content=Image

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Tejano Jawg

Just awful. I scanned that article, and it's not fun reading. The top 2 points—

-Arkansas led Missouri by 17 points at halftime, but lost 28-24. That is the largest halftime lead the Razorbacks have blown and lost in 45 years (Sept. 25, 1971 vs. Tulsa; led 20-0, lost 21-20).
-Prior to Friday's game, the Razorbacks were 110-1 since 1970 when leading by at least 17 points at halftime.

I'm sure most of us thought that was one of the worst halves of football we've seen, but didn't realize how truly historic.

Another couple stats I'm partial to—

-Arkansas' defense allowed four plays of at least 40 yards Friday. The Razorbacks have now given up 26 such plays.
-Entering this week, Arkansas was tied for 124th out of 128 FBS teams in plays allowed of 40-plus yards.

I've heard during NFL games how winning is largely dependent on 'explosive plays'...meaning winning teams usually don't just string a bunch of long drives together, 5 yards a pop. You cannot give up big plays routinely. (It's the top objective in every defensive back's playbook.) I have a memory of a Lou Holtz show during his first season. That defense—which had several All-Americans and 3 All-SWC defensive backs—didn't give up a pass OR a run longer than 35 yards that year. The entire year.

2 more things the Friday broadcast mentioned, and now are more streaks snapped—

-We win every time Rawleigh runs for more than 100 yards. And,
-Bielema is something like 7-0 in games where he leads at halftime.

We had to TRY to lose that game in order to lose it. And we pulled it off.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Redhogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on November 28, 2016, 07:59:26 am
Just awful. I scanned that article, and it's not fun reading. The top 2 points—

-Arkansas led Missouri by 17 points at halftime, but lost 28-24. That is the largest halftime lead the Razorbacks have blown and lost in 45 years (Sept. 25, 1971 vs. Tulsa; led 20-0, lost 21-20).
-Prior to Friday's game, the Razorbacks were 110-1 since 1970 when leading by at least 17 points at halftime.

I'm sure most of us thought that was one of the worst halves of football we've seen, but didn't realize how truly historic.

Another couple stats I'm partial to—

-Arkansas' defense allowed four plays of at least 40 yards Friday. The Razorbacks have now given up 26 such plays.
-Entering this week, Arkansas was tied for 124th out of 128 FBS teams in plays allowed of 40-plus yards.

I've heard during NFL games how winning is largely dependent on 'explosive plays'...meaning winning teams usually don't just string a bunch of long drives together, 5 yards a pop. You cannot give up big plays routinely. (It's the top objective in every defensive back's playbook.) I have a memory of a Lou Holtz show during his first season. That defense—which had several All-Americans and 3 All-SWC defensive backs—didn't give up a pass OR a run longer than 35 yards that year. The entire year.

2 more things the Friday broadcast mentioned, and now are more streaks snapped—

-We win every time Rawleigh runs for more than 100 yards. And,
-Bielema is something like 7-0 in games where he leads at halftime.

We had to TRY to lose that game in order to lose it. And we pulled it off.
Patience. Building things the right way, it's not year 8 yet. ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

RazorbackBassist

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

streitenberger

HF#1

The thing is, that loss could have been much worse. Mizzou dropped 2 or 3 sure TD's.  We might as well had the Fayetteville High secondary on the field.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Sir Oinksalot

...why did we show so little desire or fire in the second half.  Did we ever stunt or blitz
in the second half against Mo.  We clearly we're getting bled to death why not
blitz, guess more something ?!?

I think another problem we may be having is the team might have overachieved at TCU
and that along with the energy we showed vs. Florida gave us an up and down
false sense of this teams potential --- on offense losing sooo much and
on defense, really bad last year but the O. shielded them.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Sir Oinksalot

...haha, I was there in '71 I think my first Razorback game!

Ole flinging Fergy must have thrown 50 passes that day.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Pigsknuckles

I still remember the radio call on that TU screen pass that beat us back in 1971. I also remember the next year when we beat TU by the same score. Funny how little things like that stick in your memory.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

razoredge178

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 28, 2016, 10:27:34 am
I still remember the radio call on that TU screen pass that beat us back in 1971. I also remember the next year when we beat TU by the same score. Funny how little things like that stick in your memory.

Give credit for that little record setting performance to you offensive coordinator. Nothing like ditching your entirely successful gameplan in the first 1/2 for something new, exciting, and dangerous, like slinging the ball around for 3 and outs.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: razoredge178 on November 28, 2016, 10:34:56 am
Give credit for that little record setting performance to you offensive coordinator. Nothing like ditching your entirely successful gameplan in the first 1/2 for something new, exciting, and dangerous, like slinging the ball around for 3 and outs.

I think I see a pattern here. :)
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ke2743

EastexHawg

Drew Pearson was on that Tulsa team, but that's about all that could be said about it.  The loss was so shocking that the next day when I was watching the Cowboys game they brought it up as an example of a team with a big lead not having the game won.

East Clintwood

Bret keeps setting new records at Arkansas.  He might already own more records than any other modern era Hog coach.

Unfortunately, they're all bad records -- worst this and worst that.

No good records.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

You know, Broyles likely would have fired BB for the MO loss because he wouldn't have been stupid enough to give BB 6 years and huge buyout.  If not fired, he would have had the Father/Son talk and BB would have clearly understood what was necessary for him to go forward.  BB doesn't have the luxury of having a Broyles to assist him in correcting his own errors so they will continue.

LZH

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 28, 2016, 07:15:24 pm
Bret keeps setting new records at Arkansas.  He might already own more records than any other modern era Hog coach.

Unfortunately, they're all bad records -- worst this and worst that.

No good records.

Hater.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2016, 10:12:43 am
The thing is, that loss could have been much worse. Mizzou dropped 2 or 3 sure TD's.  We might as well had the Fayetteville High secondary on the field.

On that note...a few times this year I thought if we could grab any Division 2 defense and plug them in, we'd stop more people. Seriously.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

BadHog

Quote from: RazorbackBassist on November 28, 2016, 08:31:49 am
Defense Defense.......Please

Perhaps the offense should have scored some points in the second half. I realize our defense gave up some BIG yardage but our offense can't score a single friggin point the entire second half???? Twice within a few yards of the goal line? Our offensive scheme seemed elementary in the second half - pitiful!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on November 28, 2016, 09:58:51 pm
On that note...a few times this year I thought if we could grab any Division 2 defense and plug them in, we'd stop more people. Seriously.
North Dakota State... ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

razoredge178

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 28, 2016, 08:52:34 pm

I didn't start out that way.

Right? I drank the koolaid right up until the egg we laid at Auburn.

CrookedSquealliry

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on November 28, 2016, 10:21:24 am

...why did we show so little desire or fire in the second half.  Did we ever stunt or blitz
in the second half against Mo.  We clearly we're getting bled to death why not
blitz, guess more something ?!?

I think another problem we may be having is the team might have overachieved at TCU
and that along with the energy we showed vs. Florida gave us an up and down
false sense of this teams potential --- on offense losing sooo much and
on defense, really bad last year but the O. shielded them.

I think there's truth in this. The potential weaknesses on this team were clear entering this season. We'd lost most of our offensive production on a team carried by the offense, breaking in a new QB, and the D was already abysmal bad with no real reason to expect it was going to be any better this year.

Still, reasonable or not, expectations are always high and people choose to see what they want in the hope of a new season.  That being the case a lot of people are upset because they view this team as good but prone to epic let downs. I think bad but managing a few good games is closer to reality. The SEC was down this year (with the exception of Bama as usual). This seems to be further evidenced by the bowl showing thus far. If this team was playing last year it probably doesn't make a bowl game at all.