Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Thinkng---Recruiting

Started by 12247, November 27, 2016, 05:13:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Many  believe our current recruiting is far worse than in the past.  After thinking about it, just try this.  When you consider styles of play, would BB trade any of his groups for the same group of Petrino's.

Do you believe BB would prefer Mallett & Tyler over the Allens for his scheme
What about Running Backs
What about WRs
What about the O-line, both were bad, remember
Though BB might be willing to exchange a player or 2, I don't believe he would change any group for Pertino's group on offense.

What about defense:  Both were/are bad.  What would BB do here?  Would he believe Pertino's group was better for him?

Special Teams:  Petrino's might be better, yet BB has players who might be just as good if worked with.  BB might trade special teams with Petrino.

Second Teamers:  Petrino's were overall better, not because of great recruiting but due to Petrino practicing them and using them more in game situations.  BB might like Petrino's group here better.  what do you think.

For Petrino's style, I think he might want BBs o-line more than his own.  He might want the RBs  BB has, due to depth.  Other than that, I doubt he would trade any other groups for his style of football.

Bubba's Bruisers

I haven't really heard many saying it is far worse.  Is it any better?  Not really.  Recruiting to Fayetteville is awfully difficult.

And I'm careful to compare their defenses.  I'd say BP actually has the edge at this point.  And ironically, BB had a very good D in 2014.  A legendary fall since then.  Why?  Primarily Players.  A handful of NFL caliber players...like Philon, Flowers, Spaight, and the CB who's name I'm embarrassed to say I forgot.  Not a single one being a BB recruit.

This biggest irony is the constant claims that BP didn't care about defense.  Well if that's true, the BB loathes defense.  Of course, anyone with an ounce of common sense and objectively knows neither is true.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Atlhogfan1

Mallett yes.

Not seeing much difference in AA and TW. 

WRs yes.  We have some possession wr's.  Mallett's arm and the wr's playmaking ability stressed defenses (except Bama's).

Plus Joe's return ability. 

Bequette, Nelson, Thomas, Crim all made plays which helped win games.  Franklin did as well.  The 2010 and 11 defense was good enough. 

Your first sentence makes no sense.

This was unnecessary: 
Quote from: 12247 on November 27, 2016, 05:13:14 pm
yet BB has players who might be just as good if worked with

but due to Petrino practicing them and using them more in game situations. what do you think.

I think you always take cheap unnecessary shots. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ImHogginIt

After year four of CBB all I need to do is look at our defense to judge his recruiting. We are as weak up front as I can recall and oh my God I've never seen a Hog back seven so slow afoot !

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 27, 2016, 05:44:18 pm
After year four of CBB all I need to do is look at our defense to judge his recruiting. We are as weak up front as I can recall and oh my God I've never seen a Hog back seven so slow afoot !

All you need is 3 full recruiting classes on the roster to pass judgment on how a coach can build defense at Arkansas? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hobhog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 27, 2016, 05:44:18 pm

The front is underperforming. I don't think it's talent. They have done better in the past.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 27, 2016, 05:46:13 pm
All you need is 3 full recruiting classes on the roster to pass judgment on how a coach can build defense at Arkansas? 

I think it's enough to begin forming judgments.

Quote from: hobhog on November 27, 2016, 05:59:11 pm
The front is underperforming. I don't think it's talent. They have done better in the past.

Yes, when was that?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 06:04:17 pm
I think it's enough to begin forming judgments.

Yes, when was that?

To begin absolutely. 

HiggiePiggy

Not many are saying it is worse. Many are saying it is about the same and it won't get much better. WE WILL ALWAYS BE BEHIND Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M. We will sometimes be ahead of Ole Miss and most of the time ahead of Mississippi State. So we will always be 5th to 7th in recruiting in the sec west. It is why it's very important for CEO type coaches to be able to get great assistants and keep them for them to be able to overcome other schools that have great recruiting classes. We have seen what a great X's and O's coach can do here. We haven't seen a CEO type coach get better than average years here. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

MountieDawg

Quote from: 12247 on November 27, 2016, 05:13:14 pm
Many  believe our current recruiting is far worse than in the past.  After thinking about it, just try this.  When you consider styles of play, would BB trade any of his groups for the same group of Petrino's.

Do you believe BB would prefer Mallett & Tyler over the Allens for his scheme
What about Running Backs
What about WRs
What about the O-line, both were bad, remember
Though BB might be willing to exchange a player or 2, I don't believe he would change any group for Pertino's group on offense.

What about defense:  Both were/are bad.  What would BB do here?  Would he believe Pertino's group was better for him?

Special Teams:  Petrino's might be better, yet BB has players who might be just as good if worked with.  BB might trade special teams with Petrino.

Second Teamers:  Petrino's were overall better, not because of great recruiting but due to Petrino practicing them and using them more in game situations.  BB might like Petrino's group here better.  what do you think.

For Petrino's style, I think he might want BBs o-line more than his own.  He might want the RBs  BB has, due to depth.  Other than that, I doubt he would trade any other groups for his style of football.
What is obvious is he won more games with those guys than Bret has.
SEC!

Torqued pork

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 27, 2016, 07:09:53 pm
Not many are saying it is worse. Many are saying it is about the same and it won't get much better. WE WILL ALWAYS BE BEHIND Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M. We will sometimes be ahead of Ole Miss and most of the time ahead of Mississippi State. So we will always be 5th to 7th in recruiting in the sec west. It is why it's very important for CEO type coaches to be able to get great assistants and keep them for them to be able to overcome other schools that have great recruiting classes. We have seen what a great X's and O's coach can do here. We haven't seen a CEO type coach get better than average years here. 
Yep. We have to have coaches who maximize the talent we can get. There's a smaller margin of error here than at most places.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

We need us a dang Eric Berry. This dude is laying folks out.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 27, 2016, 08:55:41 pm
We need us a dang Eric Berry. This dude is laying folks out.

Would have been ejected in college game already for targeting. 

gawntrail

We need a closer that can go in to any kitchen and get the signature.  Plain and simple.