Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cynical and giddy-ness is sad

Started by ALLVOL, November 27, 2016, 10:30:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

College football has been around a long time. Fans have been passionate about their teams pretty much from day one. What I see now (the past several years actually) is a different type of fan. A fan that is not only cynical of their coaches but an almost giddy-ness when "their" team loses.
This isn't just aimed at Hog and UT fans either. It's epidemic in nature and I think is unhealthy for the sport and for the individual fan.
Yes I'm very disappointed in how both UT and the Hogs finished and how they played in a few games this year. But for the life of me I don't understand the "fan" that seems almost happy when their team loses so they can say "see I was right about this coach and you were wrong".
I just don't get it.

hogcard1964

Nobody's happy about the current state of Arkansas football.  It's nothing to be "giddy over".

PorkRinds

Hogville is basically unreadable at this point. 

ALLVOL

Jackrabbit Hog

I blame it on the spread offense.

And an inability to set the edge.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

a0ashle

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 27, 2016, 10:30:06 am
College football has been around a long time. Fans have been passionate about their teams pretty much from day one. What I see now (the past several years actually) is a different type of fan. A fan that is not only cynical of their coaches but an almost giddy-ness when "their" team loses.
This isn't just aimed at Hog and UT fans either. It's epidemic in nature and I think is unhealthy for the sport and for the individual fan.
Yes I'm very disappointed in how both UT and the Hogs finished and how they played in a few games this year. But for the life of me I don't understand the "fan" that seems almost happy when their team loses so they can say "see I was right about this coach and you were wrong".
I just don't get it.

When we win, fans I have never seen before come on here and call out the haters, when we lose fans I have never seen before come on here call out the first fans. These fans are more alike then they are different. Neither has perspective.

College football is reaching amazing levels of parity, yet we hold to old standards of success. We see losing to Missouri as being TERRIBLE, we see beating Ole Miss and TCU  as being good. Reality is, every team is mediocre except the very few at the top, and every team is a few plays from winning or losing in every FBS game. We have to settle down, don't get to High don't get to Low, enjoy the process for what it is, its all we can do.

longpig

November 27, 2016, 10:45:03 am #7 Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:00:07 am by longpig
I hear you ALLVOL.  There are a lot of people who won't acknowledge the successes of their company, team and more so country if it isn't their guy in charge, and will revel in it's failures.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ALLVOL

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2016, 10:44:08 am
When we win, fans I have never seen before come on here and call out the haters, when we lose fans I have never seen before come on here call out the first fans. These fans are more alike then they are different. Neither has perspective.

College football is reaching amazing levels of parity, yet we hold to old standards of success. We see losing to Missouri as being TERRIBLE, we see beating Ole Miss and TCU  as being good. Reality is, every team is mediocre except the very few at the top, and every team is a few plays from winning or losing in every FBS game. We have to settle down, don't get to High don't get to Low, enjoy the process for what it is, its all we can do.
There's a lot of merit to this post. 

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 27, 2016, 10:34:48 am

It would be nice to have some discussion of information or news... instead we have 15 threads where we decide yet again that half our staff needs to go, but we know that is not going to happen. ok, that topic has been discussed, can we have a more meaningful discussion.

007 License To Squeal

I just don't get it.

Can you name these "fans" who are happy when the Hogs lose?.......I didn't think so.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hogcard1964

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 27, 2016, 10:39:06 am
It's not just here.

You're in a much better spot than we are.  If Tennessee fires Jones without cause, they would only owe him 2 million per year if he's fired before 2020. That's doable right now.  Our situation makes it more difficult for us to make any improvements until January of 2018.

http://nooga.com/158907/breaking-down-new-ut-coach-butch-jones-contract/

PorkRinds

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 27, 2016, 10:47:45 am
Can you name these "fans" who are happy when the Hogs lose?.......I didn't think so.

I could certainly name a few. But I'm not gonna.

Torqued pork

Fans who feel the need to get on message boards and start pee matches with other fans after each game are a very small portion of a fanbase.

ALLVOL

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 27, 2016, 10:47:45 am
Read this site. And my guess is listen to local sports radio. They may want their team to win but their response is such that they sound proud to say "see I told ya so".

WSPHOG

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 27, 2016, 10:51:16 am
Fans who feel the need to get on message boards and start pee matches with other fans after each game are a very small portion of a fanbase.

^^^^^

a0ashle

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 27, 2016, 10:51:16 am

It's true, but it's more than enough to ruin MMQB for the silent majority.

HogBreath

I just don't get it.
Odd...but I've noticed the very same thing.  Just a different world nowadays.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogBreath

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 27, 2016, 10:48:08 am
  Our situation makes it more difficult for us to make any improvements until January of 2083

In 2082, CBB's contract goes down so we'd only owe him 200 million with Jeff Long getting a 10 million bonus for his screwd, I mean shrewd, negotiations with CBB.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ALLVOL

Quote from: HogBreath on November 27, 2016, 11:01:12 am
Odd...but I've noticed the very same thing.  Just a different world nowadays.
It's like we suffer through 7 months and then some don't seem to even enjoy the season. And some seem to enjoy ruining the season for others as more enjoyable than the season itself.
I know it's a minority of fans that do this. But it seems like each year the # who join their ranks swell.
College football is such a beautiful sport. With passion on the field by the players and in the stands with the fans. All the pregame pageantry and fellowship. It's truly unlike any other sport. I hope we don't sink it. 

ZERO

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2016, 10:44:08 am
We see losing to Missouri as being TERRIBLE, we see beating Ole Miss and TCU  as being good. Reality is, every team is mediocre except the very few at the top, and every team is a few plays from winning or losing in every FBS game. We have to settle down, don't get to High don't get to Low, enjoy the process for what it is, its all we can do.

I don't see losing to the Missouri football program as terrible. A lot of Hog fans don't want to see that Missouri football is remarkably similar to Hog football historically. I see the 2016 Arkansas football team losing to the 2016 Missouri football team as terrible. Last year, we were far and away the better team, just like this year. It would have been terrible if we lost then. If we had beaten them in 2014 with their 11-win East champion team, it would have been terrible for them, just like their Indiana loss that year was terrible. They played down to woefully inferior competition. We saw beating Ole Miss and TCU as good because they were ranked opponents at the time and have a recent history of consistently being good, tough teams.

We've had a lot of terrible losses this year. Not because they were losses to inherently inferior programs, but because they were embarrassing blowout losses to teams that were honestly not that much better than us when the whole season panned out and you could see the whole picture. Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU aren't bad teams, there's no shame in losing. The shame is in losing in the pathetic way we did when we put on a much better performance the previous week.

At what point is it acceptable to begin to lose faith in this coaching staff? If they're not the guys for the job, that will become glaringly clear at some point, and in my opinion, that time came this season. At some point it has to be OK to accept that the results in the future are probably not going to be much (if any) better based on what he could achieve in four years. Does anyone here honestly feel good about what we have returning in year five? Does anyone really think that next year is going to be a breakout and that we'll finally top eight wins? Even nine wins isn't stellar. I just feel that at this stage, Bielema & Co. can't even offer us the standard hope of "there's always next year".

I'm not sure I'll ever be happy when the Razorbacks lose, but I can certainly understand the mindset of secretly hoping we can go ahead and take all our lumps and get it over with so we can hurry up and move on. Getting one good year here and there is how you end up with Nutt for ten years, even though the results most of the time are kind of crappy.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hogcard1964

Quote from: ZERO on November 27, 2016, 11:07:11 am
I don't see losing to the Missouri football program as terrible. A lot of Hog fans don't want to see that Missouri football is remarkably similar to Hog football historically. I see the 2016 Arkansas football team losing to the 2016 Missouri football team as terrible. Last year, we were far and away the better team, just like this year. It would have been terrible if we lost then. If we had beaten them in 2014 with their 11-win East champion team, it would have been terrible for them, just like their Indiana loss that year was terrible. They played down to woefully inferior competition. We saw beating Ole Miss and TCU as good because they were ranked opponents at the time and have a recent history of consistently being good, tough teams.

We've had a lot of terrible losses this year. Not because they were losses to inherently inferior programs, but because they were embarrassing blowout losses to teams that were honestly not that much better than us when the whole season panned out and you could see the whole picture. Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU aren't bad teams, there's no shame in losing. The shame is in losing in the pathetic way we did when we put on a much better performance the previous week.

At what point is it acceptable to begin to lose faith in this coaching staff? If they're not the guys for the job, that will become glaringly clear at some point, and in my opinion, that time came this season. At some point it has to be OK to accept that the results in the future are probably not going to be much (if any) better based on what he could achieve in four years. Does anyone here honestly feel good about what we have returning in year five? Does anyone really think that next year is going to be a breakout and that we'll finally top eight wins? Even nine wins isn't stellar. I just feel that at this stage, Bielema & Co. can't even offer us the standard hope of "there's always next year".

I'm not sure I'll ever be happy when the Razorbacks lose, but I can certainly understand the mindset of secretly hoping we can go ahead and take all our lumps and get it over with so we can hurry up and move on. Getting one good year here and there is how you end up with Nutt for ten years, even though the results most of the time are kind of crappy.

Good post.  It's time to pull the trigger but I understand why the economics aren't quite viable yet.  But if he doesn't have us in contention for the West and an SEC championship next year, he has to go.  However, at the very least, Smith, Rhoads, Seigrest, Hargreaves and Anderson all have to go now. If Bret doesn't do this, then he can join them.

a0ashle

Quote from: ZERO on November 27, 2016, 11:07:11 am

I think it's fine to be upset, but we have hashed this over a hundred times, we won't be buying out CBB, end of story. There is so many on here, speaking in absolutes that any decent discussion is squashed.

a0ashle

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 27, 2016, 11:19:01 am
Good post.  It's time to pull the trigger but I understand why the economics aren't quite viable yet.  But if he doesn't have us in contention for the West and an SEC championship next year, he has to go.  However, at the very least, Smith, Rhoads, Seigrest, Hargreaves and Anderson all have to go now. If Bret doesn't do this, then he can join them.

More speaking in absolutes. Great example! Thanks!

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

3kgthog

I'm never happy when we lose. I was mad at work all day Friday. However, it is human nature to feel some satisfaction in being right and being able to tell others about it. I'm guilty of it.

That doesn't mean I want to be right, though. I'd trade that fleeting moment of satisfaction from being right and I'd do it for just one SEC Championship. Something to say I was totally wrong about Bret Bielema and he did what he said he would do. It's simply very hard to hang in there when I see us getting further and further away from that goal.

It doesn't help when I read here all the time about how we'll never get there. I'm fighting like hell to not completely buy into that line of thinking. I only hope my university will keep trying to get there, but Jeff Long's twitter comments tell me they won't.

Torqued pork

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2016, 10:59:20 am
It's true, but it's more than enough to ruin MMQB for the silent majority.
Good luck finding a message board that stays informative and positive after losses.

a0ashle

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 27, 2016, 11:37:37 am
Good luck finding a message board that stays informative and positive after losses.

Well it's not an all or nothing thing, has to be better balance.

luke hawg

What I don't understand is the idea that a coach should come into a program and revolunize the sport in a 4 year period? We underwent one of the most epic drop offs in college football history but are suspected to be competing for the WEST in year 4. Wisconsin has 16 redshirted players on their 2 deep on offense compared to our 6. This process takes time. The spread offense approach is faster to build because it's less reliant on good line play. This is why many smaller schools have adopted it. The problem is you're essentially putting all your eggs in the QB basket. Those schools can beat anyone and lose to anyone then have a losing season after QB transition or injury. I mean just in the SEC look at how many coaches are on the fanbases "hot seat" in the past 2 years. Sumlin, Jones, Mullen, Freeze, Smart, Mcelwain, Miles fired, Bielema, Malzahn, and Stoops. The evidence that you don't build a program in 4 years is all over the place. It's just craziness.

ZERO

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2016, 11:24:08 am
I think it's fine to be upset, but we have hashed this over a hundred times, we won't be buying out CBB, end of story. There is so many on here, speaking in absolutes that any decent discussion is squashed.

I'm not under any illusion that he'll be here any fewer than six years. I've supported him from the beginning and even though I no longer believe he's the guy for the job, I don't plan on being antagonistic about it. But we're about to enter an offseason with a pretty unremarkable recruiting class and a disappointing previous season to talk about. People are, naturally, going to be talking about the state of the program and the shortcomings of HC and his staff, and it might be best to just avoid this place most of the time.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

LZH

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 27, 2016, 10:34:48 am
Then please...step away until the excuse makers like you are back in control, shouldn't take too long.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ALLVOL

ALLVOL

Quote from: Redhogs on November 27, 2016, 12:05:53 pm
Then please...step away until the excuse makers like you are back in control, shouldn't take too long.
Serious question. In your opinion what's the difference in an excuse and a reason?

Redhogs

Quote from: ZERO on November 27, 2016, 11:56:30 am
I'm not under any illusion that he'll be here any fewer than six years. I've supported him from the beginning and even though I no longer believe he's the guy for the job, I don't plan on being antagonistic about it. But we're about to enter an offseason with a pretty unremarkable recruiting class and a disappointing previous season to talk about. People are, naturally, going to be talking about the state of the program and the shortcomings of HC and his staff, and it might be best to just avoid this place most of the time.
Exactly, says the fan whose team lost to Vandy last night. But seriously, I think Vandy is a better team than either AR or TN. right now, sad to say. Coaching maybe :) :)

Lake City Hog

You people do realize that the word "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic", right?

Fans, put so much into their team and the coaches that inexplicable losses like Friday hurt them and when hurt people lash out. It's called human nature.

Now to my point, the thing that totally chaps my ass is those "fans" that NEVER place any blame on the HC. "MLB is just too slow" "Back 7 is horrible" "the last coach left us in a mess" and on and on. Guess what this is BB's 4th year! Sometime in those 4 years HE should have produced a better MLB, and a better "back7".

I am 61 years old and still cannot force myself to watch the 4th quarter of the 69 game, it still hurts too bad. And yes, that's probably my fault for caring so much. Personally, I could never feel happy or smug about a loss.

I believe that we should all see pretty easily the bad things BB does he has done for 4 years and each time it has cost us a game. Should I expect to see some miraculous change in his personality in year 5 or year 6? At some point you have to realize that this is who he is.

a0ashle

Quote from: ZERO on November 27, 2016, 11:56:30 am

This place is my only access to local sports information and rumors, as it is for a lot of other people. It makes more sense for the crankiness amongst us to take a break and go find something they can be happy about.

Redhogs

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 27, 2016, 12:08:52 pm
Serious question. In your opinion what's the difference in an excuse and a reason?
You fix reasons, excuses go on forever and never get fixed. Now go grab a snuggle puppy and leave.

a0ashle

Quote from: Redhogs on November 27, 2016, 12:14:42 pm
You fix reasons, excuses go on forever and never get fixed. Now go grab a snuggle puppy and leave.

Too many assume CBB isn't trying to fix things.

hogcard1964

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2016, 12:19:14 pm
Too many assume CBB isn't trying to fix things.

No, he's trying. He just happens to be really bad at it.

a0ashle

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 27, 2016, 12:21:00 pm
No, he's trying. He just happens to be really bad at it.

If only he would listen to hogville. All the answers are easy in hogville land.

hobhog

I just don't get it.

What's even stranger is how they will eat their own fellow fan if they don't agree with them 100%. There is no black or white- agree to hate the coach with them or they hate YOU, a fellow fan. It's weird.

ALLVOL

Quote from: hobhog on November 27, 2016, 01:02:26 pm
What's even stranger is how they will eat their own fellow fan if they don't agree with them 100%. There is no black or white- agree to hate the coach with them or they hate YOU, a fellow fan. It's weird.
Exactly like Redhogs? I mean just rean reply #37 from him/her.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Redhogs on November 27, 2016, 12:14:42 pm
So discussion is beyond you?
You are EXACTLY what this thread is about. You think you're smarter than everyone else. You over value yourself by a lot. Yet, you don't even realize it and that's sad.

Redhogs

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 27, 2016, 01:22:49 pm
So discussion is beyond you?
You are EXACTLY what this thread is about. You think you're smarter than everyone else. You over value yourself by a lot. Yet, you don't even realize it and that's sad.
Oh I think most of us on this board are allot smarter than you idiot Vol fans that thought you were going to win the national championship with Butchy boy this year, hell you couldn't even win the pathetic East, now take your puck orange and leave.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2016, 11:25:10 am
More speaking in absolutes. Great example! Thanks!

Was that your sock puppet?  LOL

ALLVOL

Quote from: Redhogs on November 27, 2016, 01:31:02 pm
Oh I think most of us on this board are allot smarter than you idiot Vol fans that thought you were going to win the national championship with Butchy boy this year, hell you couldn't even win the pathetic East, now take your puck orange and leave.
Just keep posting. You expose yourself and your ignorance very well.
You're wrong on so many levels. My guess is that you're so accustomed to being wrong and foolish that you don't even realize it.

WilsonHog

Public message boards are places where "quality discussion" occurs. There are too many posters for that. Message boards are set up to promote an "us vs. them," adversarial relationship, even among fans of the same program. That's not done by design; it's more a matter of human nature. 

You want "quality discussion?" Then talk with your friends face-to-face. Much more likely than online with 100 people you don't know.   

hogcard1964

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 27, 2016, 01:21:08 pm
Exactly like Redhogs? I mean just rean reply #37 from him/her.

You're attacking other posters because they don't agree with you.  There's no reason for that.

luke hawg

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 27, 2016, 12:11:30 pm
You people do realize that the word "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic", right?

Fans, put so much into their team and the coaches that inexplicable losses like Friday hurt them and when hurt people lash out. It's called human nature.

Now to my point, the thing that totally chaps my ass is those "fans" that NEVER place any blame on the HC. "MLB is just too slow" "Back 7 is horrible" "the last coach left us in a mess" and on and on. Guess what this is BB's 4th year! Sometime in those 4 years HE should have produced a better MLB, and a better "back7".

I am 61 years old and still cannot force myself to watch the 4th quarter of the 69 game, it still hurts too bad. And yes, that's probably my fault for caring so much. Personally, I could never feel happy or smug about a loss.

I believe that we should all see pretty easily the bad things BB does he has done for 4 years and each time it has cost us a game. Should I expect to see some miraculous change in his personality in year 5 or year 6? At some point you have to realize that this is who he is.

I'm not arguing that his coaching methods are perfect. My point is that few programs take off like a rocket only winning more games every season until a championship is won. If you start a business and lose money the first year then make a marginal profit the next three, you fire everyone and change directions. The other option is to analyze your situation make small changes and reinvest your marginal profits back into your business with a better vantage point than your initial starting point.