Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moving defensive players to offense

Started by SEdrhawg, November 27, 2016, 09:00:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonteviosk

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 04:31:08 am
Does the thought of someone thumping a bible upset you?

Awww whats the matter do you miss the touch and caress of Bret B and his integrity when he has to go home to his wife at night?
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HoggusMaximus

Bret and I are strictly friends. He made that abundantly clear yesterday at mass.

Jonteviosk

I have to admit that was actually funny specially from an Army man...btw you guys will never again beat the Naval academy.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HoggusMaximus

Jonteviosk

Damn you poor thing. You are in the poor brothers version of the military lol.

HoggusMaximus

Jonteviosk

the one that's always forgotten in wartime lol even though you do have the 2nd best pilots in the world.

HoggusMaximus

Jonteviosk

Jonteviosk

So we fire Long and the entire staff and start from scratch

HoggusMaximus

I was so close wasn't I, I feel like I am living out the plot of Shutter Island.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 27, 2016, 11:32:57 pm
Lol sorry man, I'm not buying it. You could have said the identical thing about Wallace last year. Bielemas system is not going to succeed with freshman or even redshirt freshman on the Oline. 

When asked about "what changed" in terms of his play and being able to earn meaningful snaps, Austin Cantrell said words to the effect of, "I don't know, I just kept pushing and pressing and one day, the light just came on". Suddenly, he "got it". That happens for a lot of players as they develop.

Will that happen with Merrick and a lot of the others? It very well could, it happens all the time, every year for various players all across college football. For some players it takes longer and I think it is sometimes really difficult to identify the players that will have this happen sooner, rather than later.

The flip side of that is that there are always a few players who "get it" from day one and some who never "get it" or don't wake up until they find themselves transferring out.

The vast majority are given a reasonable amount of time to matriculate in the system and acquire the skills to execute at a high level in their position but there is always a time for every player that it is time to fish or cut bait.
Go Hogs Go!

Prestworthy

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:14:28 am
So you'd rather have a coach who would lie to us to our face eh? Cool story bro, tell it again. I'll take 7 wins and integrity over 10 wins and slimey.
Not me.

Every player who ends up on a college roster annually, can learn much, no matter that persons talent level.  It is on the coaches to teach those players.  Arkansas has a huge amount of players being labeled as not having the light come on.  Seems we get a huge amount of 3 and 4 star talent with burned out bulbs.  Think about that Hogville.  I guess Agim had a burned out bulb coming in.  He couldn't bust the first string until late in the season even with the first team sucking.  Morgan's bulb, burned out, Gibson's, burned out, Hatcher only got to start early on because we had absolutely no one.  Then and only then did his bulb start to burn.  I guess we got a bulb problem.  I believe we got a coach problem.  Much like the age old saying about coaches that they didn't just forget how to coach, it is very doubtful that all these players just forgot how to play the game, lost their interest in playing, got a bad attitude, etc..

Maybe it isn't lack of knowledge on coaches or players, maybe it is not applying the time and energy to the tasks.

onebadrubi

Quote from: presidenthog on November 28, 2016, 02:23:35 am
You should probably consider what he is saying. Merrick couldn't find playing time over Froholdt who never played the position, and raulerson (who is the worst starting O linemen I have seen start at arkansas)

Not only that but he has been passed up by a walk on.

So as if a redshirt freshman isn't starting he should be looking to transfer if he ever wants to play collegiate ball?  Raulerson got the nod early because of his experience. He's since lost his spot and I bet he doesn't take a starting job back unles injury.   

onebadrubi

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 28, 2016, 05:47:58 am
When asked about "what changed" in terms of his play and being able to earn meaningful snaps, Austin Cantrell said words to the effect of, "I don't know, I just kept pushing and pressing and one day, the light just came on". Suddenly, he "got it". That happens for a lot of players as they develop.

Will that happen with Merrick and a lot of the others? It very well could, it happens all the time, every year for various players all across college football. For some players it takes longer and I think it is sometimes really difficult to identify the players that will have this happen sooner, rather than later.

The flip side of that is that there are always a few players who "get it" from day one and some who never "get it" or don't wake up until they find themselves transferring out.

The vast majority are given a reasonable amount of time to matriculate in the system and acquire the skills to execute at a high level in their position but there is always a time for every player that it is time to fish or cut bait.

Nice example of a completely different position. One we've seen freshman and new comers continue to be used at... 

By yalls theory, every TE on our roster next year besides Cantrell should transfer (Gragg, ongrady, bell, etc)

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Remember, everyone, offense is king everywhere these days.  Very, very few teams are putting up consistent defensive efforts week after week.  The hurry-up, spread, RPO, look-at-the-sideline-and-get-your-play-based-on-the-defense-schemes are beating the best defenses.  And many people have noted on this board that many, many teams are putting their best athletes on offense and that only the Bamas and OSUs are able to recruit athletic trained on defense stars. But even in this environment, I don't get the sense CBB is strengthening the O at the expense of the D as much as he's targeting particular weak points as he sees them. The D is still an issue. Coaching decisions (wasting a timeout at the end of the first half at Mizzou, blowing scoring chances in the red zone in the 2nd half at Mizzou) are an issue, but crap happens. Harbaugh has a good team, and he blew some calls on Saturday.

EFBAB

Little Lady Back

Quote from: lefty08 on November 27, 2016, 10:05:36 am
The coach is doing nothing to intentionally lose games, regardless of what some may think

Has there been anyone on here who has actually stated that he/she thinks that CBB is intentionally losing games? Just curious because I cannot imagine someone thinking, much less saying, that.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 28, 2016, 07:21:27 am
Nice example of a completely different position. One we've seen freshman and new comers continue to be used at... 

By yalls theory, every TE on our roster next year besides Cantrell should transfer (Gragg, ongrady, bell, etc)

It isn't a theory, it is just how it works out a lot of times across an entire team at all positions.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jackflash on November 27, 2016, 09:44:55 am
I would like to see a couple Db moved to safety. mainly Tolliver
Yep, slow corner but would be a fast safety.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Fort Dweller on November 27, 2016, 09:31:48 am
I'm hoping Guidry coming on strong next year will slide Agim back out on the edge.
Froholdt, Jackson, Capps, and Guidry would be a good group of DT's.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: lefty08 on November 27, 2016, 09:39:34 am

Because he said so, that's why.  Haha, seriously, Froholdt on the bench on defense wouldn't have made us better
Come on guys. Froholdt was already getting serious playing time at DT as a TRUE freshman. You don't think he would have gotten more as a sophomore? Possibly a starter?

hawgXi

Quote from: SEdrhawg on November 27, 2016, 09:00:00 am
With our inability to stop the run this year, generate a pass rush, or cover receivers long enough to prevent the deep ball I can't help but second guess the flipping of two highly recruited defensive players (Froholdt - 4* DT, Bell - 4* DE) to offensive side of the ball.  Really 3 players from that class if you count Kendrick Jackson (3* - LB).  IMO seems like we could have used their services on defense.  Thoughts?

Total defense: 80th (428.7 yd/game)
Pass defense: 54th (219.3 yd/game)
Rush defense: 97th (209.3 yd/game)
Sacks: 93rd (21 sacks)
INT: hard to rank as many tied (9 total this year)
Points/game: 83rd (30.8 ppg)

(I honestly was a little surprised that the numbers weren't worse than this)

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/team-stats?season=2016&week=0&category=DEFENSE&group=2&sort=3&team=1&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

another stud misssing from defense is austin cantrell, imo.