Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moving defensive players to offense

Started by SEdrhawg, November 27, 2016, 09:00:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SEdrhawg

With our inability to stop the run this year, generate a pass rush, or cover receivers long enough to prevent the deep ball I can't help but second guess the flipping of two highly recruited defensive players (Froholdt - 4* DT, Bell - 4* DE) to offensive side of the ball.  Really 3 players from that class if you count Kendrick Jackson (3* - LB).  IMO seems like we could have used their services on defense.  Thoughts?

Total defense: 80th (428.7 yd/game)
Pass defense: 54th (219.3 yd/game)
Rush defense: 97th (209.3 yd/game)
Sacks: 93rd (21 sacks)
INT: hard to rank as many tied (9 total this year)
Points/game: 83rd (30.8 ppg)

(I honestly was a little surprised that the numbers weren't worse than this)

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/team-stats?season=2016&week=0&category=DEFENSE&group=2&sort=3&team=1&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

3kgthog

I'm still baffled at moving our best speed rusher (Agim) inside. Now he gets caught in the interior wash.

I keep hoping a guard emerges so Frojoldt can go back to DL and Agim can be moved back out.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 27, 2016, 09:25:09 am
I'm still baffled at moving our best speed rusher (Agim) inside. Now he gets caught in the interior wash.

I keep hoping a guard emerges so Frojoldt can go back to DL and Agim can be moved back out.

I'm hoping Guidry coming on strong next year will slide Agim back out on the edge.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

longpig

Coaches established early that Bell simply is an offense guy, not defense.  Never was and never will be.  Far as Froholdt goes,  if he was something special on the D line he wouldn't have been moved.  What benefit is it to keep him there if you have 6 more as good or better?
Don't be scared, be smart.

lefty08

Quote from: longpig on November 27, 2016, 09:38:08 am
Coaches established early that Bell simply is an offense guy, not defense.  Never was and never will be.  Far as Froholdt goes,  if he was something special on the D line he wouldn't have been moved.  What benefit is it to keep him there if you have 6 more as good or better?

Because he said so, that's why.  Haha, seriously, Froholdt on the bench on defense wouldn't have made us better
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jackflash

I would like to see a couple Db moved to safety. mainly Tolliver

Tick Hog

Quote from: lefty08 on November 27, 2016, 09:39:34 am

Because he said so, that's why.  Haha, seriously, Froholdt on the bench on defense wouldn't have made us better
This is true, however is he so good that he beats out everybody else that we actually recruited to play the position or is it BB being stubborn and trying to prove a point?

SEdrhawg

Quote from: longpig on November 27, 2016, 09:38:08 am

One benefit I could think of for having him ride the pine at DL is that he is not available to get beat 3-4Xs a game at LG...

lefty08

Quote from: Tick Hog on November 27, 2016, 09:47:58 am
This is true, however is he so good that he beats out everybody else that we actually recruited to play the position or is it BB being stubborn and trying to prove a point?

The coach is doing nothing to intentionally lose games, regardless of what some may think
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

longpig

Quote from: Tick Hog on November 27, 2016, 09:47:58 am

Anderson has said as much in interviews.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Sir Oinksalot

...nobody thinks he is trying to lose games, just that some bad decisions were made in the Spring......

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

lefty08

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on November 27, 2016, 10:32:25 am

...nobody thinks he is trying to lose games, just that some bad decisions were made in the Spring......

You should read more of the board.For your second point, the same could be said for any coach in the country

Oklahawg

The OL situation has been discussed extensively, but a reprise won't hurt. CBB leaned on Pittman to up the numbers he was recruiting, not just targeting a small number of elite talents (according to Pittman). When Pittman left UA high and dry last winter, UA went from the clubhouse leader for the top JUCO OL in the country and a candidate for a visit from the #1 OT in the country. The former starts at Utah and is a candidate for the NFL this year. The latter went to Baylor, but with a visit we might have had a shot at landing him this summer when he was released from Baylor (landed at UT, so this is an unlikely scenario).

Pittman bails and there are no names on the list who will listen to UA. (Pittman was very much a coach who recruited to "work with me" instead of "come to UA.") None. We are left to chase after a couple of JUCO projects hoping they can help in 2017. Oh, we talked a good line for 2016 but no one should expect the entire Pac12 to overlook Ramirez and both MS schools to pass on Malone if they were "ready to go."

Thus, by signing day 2016, CBB knew he had a huge problem on the OL. Merrick has been a disappointment, and is in danger of needing a change of scenery if he is ever going to play college ball. (Some savvy recruitniks saw Merrick as a 4-star OL for no apparent reason; we can still hope that Merrick turns the corner at UA.) Wallace and Jackson were promising but young; neither was capable of both pass- and run-block skills yet. Gibson had a long way to go and wasn't the option then that he is now (looks pretty good to me). Rogers and Ragnow were deemed too important as OC to plug both into the starting lineup. That seems crazy but that is the best explanation given that Rogers looks good at OC and Ragnow would have been our best OL wherever he lined up (so play him where he can help...at OT).

We didn't have Raulerson yet.

Thus, we needed an option that could work with the OL coaches in the off-season and go through spring drills. Enter Froholdt. You commit to him 100% from February on simply because he has potential but won't ever get there without reps. Making the move without the playing time commitment means he is a washout across the board, in all likelihood.

The Froholdt deal has been a source of big frustration for a lot of fans. CBB is banking on Froholdt being All-SEC caliber in 2017 and 2018. I think that is reasonable, but we had to endure a really ugly first 2/3rds of the year to get there. Froholdt looks like a perfect replacement for Skipper in temperament.

Bell is another story entirely. He was brought in as a DE. Recruiting gooroos often evaluated him as a TE. He was unable to make an impression at DE, wallowed in the depth chart, and was moved to TE trying to find him a path onto the field. Do not be surprised for both Bell and Gragg to not play meaningful reps at TE at UA. Gunter, Krauss, Cantrell, and recruit Patton will grab those reps. O'Grady appeared out of nowhere vs MS State (not sure what that was about). Walk-on Antwine seems poised for time before Gragg or Bell. That is a lot of depth.

Jackson was found to be too slow to play LB, but was a jackhammer at FB. This was a productive move - it created a great on-field option for a player who would not be playing at LB.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

onebadrubi

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 02:03:49 pm
The OL situation has been discussed extensively, but a reprise won't hurt. CBB leaned on Pittman to up the numbers he was recruiting, not just targeting a small number of elite talents (according to Pittman). When Pittman left UA high and dry last winter, UA went from the clubhouse leader for the top JUCO OL in the country and a candidate for a visit from the #1 OT in the country. The former starts at Utah and is a candidate for the NFL this year. The latter went to Baylor, but with a visit we might have had a shot at landing him this summer when he was released from Baylor (landed at UT, so this is an unlikely scenario).

Pittman bails and there are no names on the list who will listen to UA. (Pittman was very much a coach who recruited to "work with me" instead of "come to UA.") None. We are left to chase after a couple of JUCO projects hoping they can help in 2017. Oh, we talked a good line for 2016 but no one should expect the entire Pac12 to overlook Ramirez and both MS schools to pass on Malone if they were "ready to go."

Thus, by signing day 2016, CBB knew he had a huge problem on the OL. Merrick has been a disappointment, and is in danger of needing a change of scenery if he is ever going to play college ball. (Some savvy recruitniks saw Merrick as a 4-star OL for no apparent reason; we can still hope that Merrick turns the corner at UA.) Wallace and Jackson were promising but young; neither was capable of both pass- and run-block skills yet. Gibson had a long way to go and wasn't the option then that he is now (looks pretty good to me). Rogers and Ragnow were deemed too important as OC to plug both into the starting lineup. That seems crazy but that is the best explanation given that Rogers looks good at OC and Ragnow would have been our best OL wherever he lined up (so play him where he can help...at OT).

We didn't have Raulerson yet.

Thus, we needed an option that could work with the OL coaches in the off-season and go through spring drills. Enter Froholdt. You commit to him 100% from February on simply because he has potential but won't ever get there without reps. Making the move without the playing time commitment means he is a washout across the board, in all likelihood.

The Froholdt deal has been a source of big frustration for a lot of fans. CBB is banking on Froholdt being All-SEC caliber in 2017 and 2018. I think that is reasonable, but we had to endure a really ugly first 2/3rds of the year to get there. Froholdt looks like a perfect replacement for Skipper in temperament.

Bell is another story entirely. He was brought in as a DE. Recruiting gooroos often evaluated him as a TE. He was unable to make an impression at DE, wallowed in the depth chart, and was moved to TE trying to find him a path onto the field. Do not be surprised for both Bell and Gragg to not play meaningful reps at TE at UA. Gunter, Krauss, Cantrell, and recruit Patton will grab those reps. O'Grady appeared out of nowhere vs MS State (not sure what that was about). Walk-on Antwine seems poised for time before Gragg or Bell. That is a lot of depth.

Jackson was found to be too slow to play LB, but was a jackhammer at FB. This was a productive move - it created a great on-field option for a player who would not be playing at LB.

I'm sorry but WTH is this?  You are calling that on a redshirt freshman that was pushing for playing time early in the season?  Merrick and Wallace were both said by this staff to be pushing for playing time.  We have not seen Merrick but for more than a couple of snaps to make a snap judgement like that on a red shirt freshman???  Seems a bit quick triggered and seems completely unsubstantiated. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 27, 2016, 02:15:51 pm
I'm sorry but WTH is this?  You are calling that on a redshirt freshman that was pushing for playing time early in the season?  Merrick and Wallace were both said by this staff to be pushing for playing time.  We have not seen Merrick but for more than a couple of snaps to make a snap judgement like that on a red shirt freshman???  Seems a bit quick triggered and seems completely unsubstantiated. 

Merrick came in early and hasn't played. Lots of concern about that every happening from people I trust.

Like you, I'd prefer the recruiting pedigree (4-stars and all) suddenly show up and make us all feel better about OL depth.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

regi

Froholdt is at the best position for his talents. This is only the kids 4th full year of football. Unless he or Bell were or are stud linebackers, they would not of helped our defense.

Oklahawg

Quote from: regi on November 27, 2016, 08:26:03 pm
Froholdt is at the best position for his talents. This is only the kids 4th full year of football. Unless he or Bell were or are stud linebackers, they would not of helped our defense.

I can't argue.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 07:57:55 pm
Merrick came in early and hasn't played. Lots of concern about that every happening from people I trust.

Like you, I'd prefer the recruiting pedigree (4-stars and all) suddenly show up and make us all feel better about OL depth.

Lol sorry man, I'm not buying it. You could have said the identical thing about Wallace last year. Bielemas system is not going to succeed with freshman or even redshirt freshman on the Oline. 

presidenthog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 27, 2016, 11:32:57 pm
Lol sorry man, I'm not buying it. You could have said the identical thing about Wallace last year. Bielemas system is not going to succeed with freshman or even redshirt freshman on the Oline.
You should probably consider what he is saying. Merrick couldn't find playing time over Froholdt who never played the position, and raulerson (who is the worst starting O linemen I have seen start at arkansas)

Not only that but he has been passed up by a walk on.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: lefty08 on November 27, 2016, 10:05:36 am
The coach is doing nothing to intentionally lose games, regardless of what some may think

No his stupidity does that for him he is a pisspoor coach
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 28, 2016, 03:04:53 am
No his stupidity does that for him he is a pisspoor coach

4 seasons one losing season 3 bowl games in a row. What do you expect for us to do year in and year out. Its not gonna be 10 win seasons. We've had 3 since we've been in the SEC.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:10:42 am
4 seasons one losing season 3 bowl games in a row. What do you expect for us to do year in and year out. Its not gonna be 10 win seasons. We've had 3 since we've been in the SEC.

Yes and 2 of those were by the guy they eventually replaced with this fat lard joke of a coach.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HoggusMaximus

So you'd rather have a coach who would lie to us to our face eh? Cool story bro, tell it again. I'll take 7 wins and integrity over 10 wins and slimey.

presidenthog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:10:42 am
Last year we should have won 10 games. We should have beaten toledo, A&M and had no business losing to tech. Probably should have beat miss st too if  not for dumb coaching decisions.

Bret squandered 2014 and 15 with poor hires and not having his team properly prepared.

I have already written bret off. Here in 2 years when he is fired I just hope he has laid a super solid foundation and he recruited for his job on his way out. Then maybe we make a great hire and the next coach makes great hires, recruits speed, (I hope bret does this before he is shown the door) and always has our team ready to play.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:14:28 am
So you'd rather have a coach who would lie to us to our face eh? Cool story bro, tell it again. I'll take 7 wins and integrity over 10 wins and slimey.

yeah and ill take 11 wins national relevance. We pay a coach to win if you want morality go to church and pass out the freaken offering plate just make sure you take your bible thumping ways with you. Leave the game for those of us that actually know football.

presidenthog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:14:28 am
Lol I won't. I want wins. Also bobby peaked while he was here. Hasn't been the same. Well he might be the same. Can't win the big games still but doesn't lose to Mizzou.

I'd take art briles if it meant an sec championship.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: presidenthog on November 28, 2016, 03:17:06 am
Last year we should have won 10 games. We should have beaten toledo, A&M and had no business losing to tech. Probably should have beat miss st too if  not for dumb coaching decisions.

Bret squandered 2014 and 15 with poor hires and not having his team properly prepared.

I have already written bret off. Here in 2 years when he is fired I just hope he has laid a super solid foundation and he recruited for his job on his way out. Then maybe we make a great hire and the next coach makes great hires, recruits speed, (I hope bret does this before he is shown the door) and always has our team ready to play.

Maybe he gets fired in 2 years, maybe not. I think a lot of it has to do with the struggle to recruit in Arkansas by ANY coach.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: presidenthog on November 28, 2016, 03:18:50 am
Lol I won't. I want wins. Also bobby peaked while he was here. Hasn't been the same. Well he might be the same. Can't win the big games still but doesn't lose to Mizzou.

I'd take art briles if it meant an sec championship.

Heck yeah were on the same page bro

Jonteviosk

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:22:09 am
Maybe he gets fired in 2 years, maybe not. I think a lot of it has to do with the struggle to recruit in Arkansas by ANY coach.

Again by any coach not named Hatfield or Petrino

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 28, 2016, 03:18:40 am
yeah and ill take 11 wins national relevance. We pay a coach to win if you want morality go to church and pass out the freaken offering plate just make sure you take your bible thumping ways with you. Leave the game for those of us that actually know football.

And you know football eh? Im not really religious, been in the military too long. Im just a realistic person. I am not prone to fits of crying like a baby when my team doesn't win 10 games every year. you want a bottle and a blankey? Go root for Alabama.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:23:48 am
And you know football eh? Im not really religious, been in the military too long. Im just a realistic person. I am not prone to fits of crying like a baby when my team doesn't win 10 games every year. you want a bottle and a blankey? Go root for Alabama.

No ill stickj with the hogs bible thumper but you can go root for the HolyCross Crusaders if you want integrity and 5-7 wins youd be a perfect fit

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 28, 2016, 03:25:52 am
No ill stickj with the hogs bible thumper but you can go root for the HolyCross Crusaders if you want integrity and 5-7 wins youd be a perfect fit

you're some kind of special aren't you. Make sure you wear your helmet when you go outside.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 03:27:31 am
you're some kind of special aren't you. Make sure you wear your helmet when you go outside.

Make sure you take your crucifix with you on your way to HolyCross bible thumper

pigheaded

And I thought CBB was going to make us Lineman U
My Mother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks her Wild Turkey right out of the bottle.

Jonteviosk

Only thing CBB makes us is losing to college football jokes university.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 28, 2016, 03:56:33 am
Only thing CBB makes us is losing to college football jokes university.

Wow.....

Jonteviosk

We lose to Mizzou and Toledo and Texas Tech I don't think I need to continue.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 28, 2016, 04:08:15 am
We lose to Mizzou and Toledo and Texas Tech I don't think I need to continue.

I think you need too.

Jonteviosk

Why would a bible thumping Holy Cross fan want me to continue.

HoggusMaximus

Why wouldn't a bible thumping holy cross fan want you to continue?

Jonteviosk

you should be on your Holy Cross website posting responses with the other bible thumpers.

HoggusMaximus

Will you come with me? It would be fun to have a non bible thumper show me what all I don't know about football.

Jonteviosk

nah its time for you to start passing the offering plate and enjoy your 5 win integrity at Holy Cross.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 28, 2016, 04:17:46 am
nah its time for you to start passing the offering plate and enjoy your 5 win integrity at Holy Cross.

Are you a politician?

Jonteviosk

Are you not missing your mediocre 7 win integrity? Don't worry you can take fatboy with you to Holy Cross you will both fit in perfectly only mediocrity needs apply.

HoggusMaximus

What else do you not like about Coach Bielema ?

Jonteviosk

Losing to jokes like Toledo, Texas Tech and Missouri??????

HoggusMaximus

Jonteviosk

no that only really happens to bible thumping altar boys like you

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 28, 2016, 04:28:47 am
no that only really happens to bible thumping altar boys like you

Does the thought of someone thumping a bible upset you?