Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

it's not just the hogs , a lot of major upsets this year .

Started by tophawg19, November 26, 2016, 10:12:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

this has been a crazy year. The big boys haven't been safe this year . there have been a bunch of big time major upsets all year long. our fans are griping but most of the top 25 has taken at least 1 bad loss . And a number of them have been blow outs . We aren't alone in this mess . Texas loses to KANSAS  ???? Houston losing to Navy, SMU and Memphis .Louisville losing to Kentucky , Tennessee may lose to Vandy???? bye, bye sugar bowl if they do. this is one crazy year with some strange coaching calls . many top 10's have fallen to nobodies . Is this where football is headed ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hobhog

Just crazy. Other than Bama, I don't think any program in SEC is on solid ground at the moment.

elksnort

tophawg19

Vandy beats Ole Miss and Tennessee to make a bowl . who expected that at the start of this season

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on November 26, 2016, 10:15:58 pm
Just crazy. Other than Bama, I don't think any program in SEC is on solid ground at the moment.

Vandy is! 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hobhog

The vols will melt down. No sugar now. No idea what that bowl does now...

3kgthog

Flatline

There is no excuse for what happened.  I don't care who won or lost what.  With the talent that this team has on offense it should not have mattered how bad the defense was.

This was a team that was not coached up and was obviously not prepared to play football. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Flatline on November 26, 2016, 10:23:56 pm
There is no excuse for what happened.  I don't care who won or lost what.  With the talent that this team has on offense it should not have mattered how bad the defense was.

This was a team that was not coached up and was obviously not prepared to play football.

You talking about Butch and the Vols?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

tophawg19

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 26, 2016, 10:21:39 pm
Somehow this doesn't make me feel better.
no matter what happened , as long as CBB is here , you won't be happy . even if he won the N/C

hawgmasta

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 26, 2016, 10:25:17 pm
What he said...

Exactly. I really do just care about the hogs but it puts it in a little context

tophawg19

any given Saturday anyone can get you anymore . i guess parity is real. more so than i ever believed it could be . you don't show up or have a bad game and down you go

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hawgmasta on November 26, 2016, 10:28:18 pm
Exactly. I really do just care about the hogs but it puts it in a little context

Mizzou is a bad football team.

tophawg19

sometimes but they beat Vandy who just beat Tenn. and put up over 700 yards on Tenn but lost due to turnovers . We were better but poorly prepared . but you can say that about all these big losses

HawgnCorona

The last 2 seasons we have a least finished strong and this year we didnt...Not because we couldnt compete, we could. We looked unprepared (mentally as well) in all of the losses. That to me was alarming.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 26, 2016, 10:43:29 pm
The last 2 seasons we have a least finished strong and this year we didnt...Not because we couldnt compete, we could. We looked unprepared (mentally as well) in all of the losses. That to me was alarming.

We were prepared yesterday. Went flat at half. Played backups some like we had game won.  Coaches went to sleep on fake punt. Momentum and game lost from there.

The Hawg Marshal

Reid Miller almost made the stop on the fake punt. If he makes that play we get the ball on about the seven yard line. Good chance we score something and put the game out of reach. Not blaming Miller at all. Just lamenting how thin the line is between winning and losing.

EastexHawg

We're 12-28 as a program in the SEC the last five years.  Only Kentucky is worse.  There is no such thing as us being "upset" by anyone.

HawgnCorona

Yeah for sure. That fake punt is stuff we do...was certainly the turning point.

porkrindjimmy

And the thread should go silent after easttex's post.

Unfortunately, that won't happen.

PRJ

HawgnCorona

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 26, 2016, 10:58:37 pm
Reid Miller almost made the stop on the fake punt. If he makes that play we get the ball on about the seven yard line. Good chance we score something and put the game out of reach. Not blaming Miller at all. Just lamenting how thin the line is between winning and losing.

How many times we were stop in the red zone yesterday?  Speaking of "thin lines"...

tophawg19

no reason for the thread to end . the JLS time set us back as did the late start recruiting for CBB . everyone knows this

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 11:16:22 pm
no reason for the thread to end . the JLS time set us back as did the late start recruiting for CBB . everyone knows this

You are high. Shrooms I would suspect.

This ain't got nothing to do with Smile or ol Scratch himself, Bobby Petrino and has all to do with a lazy, incompetent, free loading coach who is to lazy to prepare a team in consecutive weeks, let alone two halves. He ain't got it in the SEC. Doesn't have a clue.

Look, you can keep writing cheers for Iowa Fats, doing roundoffs and splits and shaking what God gave ya for him...you can keep acting like the wife who makes excuses when Hubby doesn't come home for three days straight, well Wanda told me Bill stayed out 4 nights in a row. Doesn't make a Damn if Bill stayed out 4 nights, you need to figure out why Bret ain't been home in 3 days.

Jeez...

PRJ

hobhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 26, 2016, 11:24:18 pm

This ain't got nothing to do with Smile or ol Scratch himself, Bobby Petrino and has all to do with a lazy, incompetent, free loading coach who is to lazy to prepare a team in consecutive weeks, let alone two halves. He ain't got it in the SEC. Doesn't have a clue.

Look, you can keep writing cheers for Iowa Fats, doing roundoffs and splits and shaking what God gave ya for him...you can keep acting like the wife who makes excuses when Hubby doesn't come home for three days straight, well Wanda told me Bill stayed out 4 nights in a row. Doesn't make a Damn if Bill stayed out 4 nights, you need to figure out why Bret ain't been home in 3 days.

Jeez...

PRJ
WTH? Sleep it off dude....

tophawg19

no matter how well he does you will still bitch and gripe . he ain't going so you might as well get over it. A new D/C will be coming in to change things . if not we will all join in . But if it's between you and CBB , you might as well leave now cause unless he wants to leave, he is the hogs coach. Nobody is cheering after last game , just applying common sense . Almost every team has had bad losses. We are in a jumbled mix from both the SEC and around the nation. no better or worse. just about average but that doersn't fit your Agenda . Me I'm a Hog fan . I support the team, and players and am smart enough to let the things i can't change play out . I saw some good stuff especially in the first half and some bad . We should have tried Field goals in the second Half . CBB has some issues but he's the best we have.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 11:37:01 pm
no matter how well he does you will still bitch and gripe . he ain't going so you might as well get over it. A new D/C will be coming in to change things . if not we will all join in . But if it's between you and CBB , you might as well leave now cause unless he wants to leave, he is the hogs coach. Nobody is cheering after last game , just applying common sense . Almost every team has had bad losses. We are in a jumbled mix from both the SEC and around the nation. no better or worse. just about average but that doersn't fit your Agenda . Me I'm a Hog fan . I support the team, and players and am smart enough to let the things i can't change play out . I saw some good stuff especially in the first half and some bad . We should have tried Field goals in the second Half . CBB has some issues but he's the best we have.

Hahahahahahahahaha. You support a coach. Plain and simple. You make every excuse in the book for him.

And if dude was 9-3, and not getting blown out 56-3 and losing to the worst team in the SEC, I wouldn't have much to complain about. It isn't about the wild and whacky year, it isn't about anything other than a coach who is in over his head. Plain and simple.

You will realize that soon enough.

PRJ

pigmailyen

EastArkHog 47

Bielema is in over his head and is a terrible sideline coach who cannot manage the game. The only people who had a worse record their first four seasons at Arkansas were Otis Douglas and Danny Ford and they sure as hell didn't have a $10 million buyout. The buyout is a big part of the problem, Bielema is going to be rich as ten feet up a bull's ass when he leaves Arkansas if he never wins another game.

DeltaBoy

He needs to get this fixed after this piss poor ending.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

lefty08

If, somehow, he wins 10 next year people will be more pissed off than they are right now. I can see the "now we are stuck with him " threads  already
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 26, 2016, 10:58:37 pm

A lot of games have a play like that where one side makes the play and gains momentum and the other looses it. It was a gutsy call by Odom. It is eerily similar to what CBB would have done as well. Since they had nothing to lose or play for other than that one game victory to end the season at home then someone should have expected some sort of trick somewhere during the game. Especially when they were behind on the scoreboard. It looked like we were playing for a return and got fooled. THAT is on the coaches. Mizzou's coaches outcoached the Hog coaches the whole second half. We had the win against a bad team. I don't blame the players when given that scenario a loss ensues. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 27, 2016, 07:50:29 am
He needs to get this fixed after this piss poor ending.

At one point during the middle of the season he said so himself that "when **** happens".............so NOW he says NO changes when he could've and should have at least beat around the bush when asked about it. Perplexing to say the least.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lefty08

Good post ^^^^

Edited to add,  not the post directly above mine, he wants guys fired on national tv right after the game.  No, not that post, the one before it

Nobody ever considers the possibility that the other team made a play. Itso always unpreparedness or incompetency. It's entertaining for sure.
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Inhogswetrust

November 27, 2016, 08:32:48 am #34 Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:50:32 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: lefty08 on November 27, 2016, 08:23:07 am
Good post ^^^^

Edited to add,  not the post directly above mine, he wants guys fired on national tv right after the game.  No, not that post, the one before it

Nobody ever considers the possibility that the other team made a play. Itso always unpreparedness or incompetency. It's entertaining for sure.

Sure sometimes the other team makes a great play even when the other side is prepared for it. BUT the team had to have the coach CALL that play first. Always do. It is the word "execution" where the players matter. Also the opposing team has a played called. Ours looked like we set up for a return and didn't even consider a fake possible which we should have considering all the variables at the time. It's on the same Special teams coach that also coaches the DL. Another area of concern this year I think you would agree with.  ALL games are a combination of the plays called, adjustments, penalties and execution. One of those factors will usually take precedence over the others on any given play.

P.S. Remember when our punter against TAMU ran for a TD. Do you honestly think it was because of a great play by the punting team?  Sure it was executed well. BUT it was mainly because our coaches caught TAMU in a formation they could exploit and they weren't looking for a fake. Sometimes it's a great play and sometimes it is the play called.

lefty08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 27, 2016, 08:32:48 am
Sure sometimes the other team makes a great play even when theater side is prepared for it. BUT the team had to have the coach CALL that play first. Always do. It is the word "execution" where the players matter. Also the opposing team has a played called. Ours looked like we set up for a return and didn't even consider a fake possible which we should have considering all the variables at the time. It's on the same Special teams coach that also coaches the DL. Another area of concern this year I think you would agree with.  ALL games are a combination of the plays called, adjustments, penalties and execution. One of those factors will usually take precedence over the others on any given play.

P.S. Remember when our punter against TAMU ran for a TD. Do you honestly think it was because of a great play by the punting team?  Sure it was executed well. BUT it was mainly because our coaches caught TAMU in a formation they could exploit and they weren't looking for a fake. Sometimes it's a great play and sometimes it is the play called.

You think we should have been in punt safe when their guy had his heels on the goal line?  So you think we should never set a return, just keep the defense out there?

Look, it was a great call by Odom and it worked, it's no more complicated than that.  Of all the examples of not being prepared, that one is reaching a bit

HardCore

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on November 27, 2016, 04:16:56 am
Bielema is in over his head and is a terrible sideline coach who cannot manage the game. The only people who had a worse record their first four seasons at Arkansas were Otis Douglas and Danny Ford and they sure as hell didn't have a $10 million buyout. The buyout is a big part of the problem, Bielema is going to be rich as ten feet up a bull's ass when he leaves Arkansas if he never wins another game.

B/c Coach Broyles would have never put this University in a poor position like that.  He might make a hire that does not work out, but he left a door open to change.  Coach is a plethora of genius compared to this Moron we have steering the ship right now. 
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

gawntrail

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 10:31:38 pm
any given Saturday anyone can get you anymore . i guess parity is real. more so than i ever believed it could be . you don't show up or have a bad game and down you go

Every other Saturday......

FIFY

gawntrail

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 26, 2016, 11:02:42 pm
We're 12-28 as a program in the SEC the last five years.  Only Kentucky is worse.  There is no such thing as us being "upset" by anyone.

^^^THE measuring stick ^^^

hoglady

Nothing can change the fact that we've watched this year the worst defense in Arkansas football history.
And it could have been much, much worse - most of the SEC West fielded pretty average to bad offenses.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 26, 2016, 10:43:29 pm
Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde mentality to say the least. We couldn't put two SEC victories in a row to save our lives. Totally frustrating and inexcusable. Sorry, but when you get BLOWN out by 'Bama (no real surprise there), Auburn and LSU and then lose once again to the Aggies and totally implode against a SORRY Mizzou team then I think you really and truly need to do some major soul searching and make some significant changes. The only real balm is that we finally took out Florida, also an up and down team, and managed to limp into another "who cares" bowl game.

Inhogswetrust

November 27, 2016, 02:54:23 pm #41 Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 03:05:04 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: lefty08 on November 27, 2016, 08:43:42 am
You think we should have been in punt safe when their guy had his heels on the goal line?  So you think we should never set a return, just keep the defense out there?

Look, it was a great call by Odom and it worked, it's no more complicated than that.  Of all the examples of not being prepared, that one is reaching a bit

Except precisely because he was standing in the end zone why was there a need to have a return on. Especially given the situation with nothing to lose for them because of the season they were having being so bad. We would have gotten really good field position anyway. I'm not saying have everyone stand there to make sure there is no fake but make dang sure before rolling back into a return mode that the guy actually kicks the ball. We had NO rush of anyone on. Given the circumstances not good.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 26, 2016, 11:24:18 pm

you can keep acting like the wife who makes excuses when Hubby doesn't come home for three days straight, well Wanda told me Bill stayed out 4 nights in a row. Doesn't make a Damn if Bill stayed out 4 nights, you need to figure out why Bret ain't been home in 3 days.

Jeez...

PRJ

I didn't like most of that post but this analogy part of your post is funny and yet true. It doesn't matter what other coaches do, it only matters what our coaches do.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on November 27, 2016, 08:59:02 am
Nothing can change the fact that we've watched this year the worst defense in Arkansas football history.
And it could have been much, much worse - most of the SEC West fielded pretty average to bad offenses.

So true and thanks for making me feel even worse! HaHa!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lefty08 on November 27, 2016, 08:43:42 am

I can see where it might be reaching a bit considering the field position BUT they had nothing to lose. That same field position is also why no need to put everyone in return mode on our part. However I'll concede the point to some degree. There are other examples during the game of not being prepared though or motivated either.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

DeltaBoy

All I know is we were up 21-7 when I went to take my afternoon nap and we had lost when I woke up.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Redhogs

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 10:17:58 pm
Vandy beats Ole Miss and Tennessee to make a bowl . who expected that at the start of this season
Vandy's a better team than TN. OM, and ARK right now, they just are. The HC has done a great job, especially with the defense.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Redhogs on November 28, 2016, 08:31:12 am
Vandy's a better team than TN. OM, and ARK right now, they just are. The HC has done a great job, especially with the defense.

Yep and we stomp FLA and lose to LSU then LSU loses to Fla.

GolfnHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 28, 2016, 08:25:46 am
All I know is we were up 21-7 when I went to take my afternoon nap and we had lost when I woke up.

Then you need to quit taking naps when Hogs are winning so you can add to the theory of demise of all things Razorbacks
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"