Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do we recruit our way out of this???????

Started by Tweeter, November 26, 2016, 08:22:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

Martygit

Quote from: Tweeter on November 26, 2016, 08:22:34 pm
????

If the answer is that we have to "recruit our way out of this" then we're doomed - Ark can't recruit players like Ala/Aub/LSU/etc, et al, can - ain't gonna happen
RIP OTR, REV

hogsanity

Quote from: MartinGit on November 26, 2016, 08:26:22 pm
If the answer is that we have to "recruit our way out of this" then we're doomed - Ark can't recruit players like Ala/Aub/LSU/etc, et al, can - ain't gonna happen

then how do you beat them consistently? Better talent is going to win a majority of the time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Out of what?   The bad defense?  IMO emphasize speed in recruiting assessments.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 26, 2016, 08:27:41 pm
then how do you beat them consistently? Better talent is going to win a majority of the time.

QB play
High IQ football
OL play
Sheer terror
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jjdlc

You are correct, however, a team can develop players over a 4-5 year period, similar to what Mullen did at Miss St did that lead to the two good seasons they had.  After that the stars have to align. 

I believe that recruiting can improve, but is going to take time and stability to do it legally.

Tweeter

Hawgphish

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 26, 2016, 08:30:09 pm
Yes...we need quicker O lineman, Froholdt is definitely the quickest and has been getting better and also usually leading the way when pulling out to the second level. We need speed mainly at LB and Safety. Our line backers are slow slow slow and so are our safeties. If that means recruiting a bit smaller LB's then do it. We can't keep matching a guy like Ellis up on slot receivers...it makes zero sense.

Hawghiggs

Things that we can do.

1, Recruit a top-15 O-line each season
  2, Recruit a 4 or 5 star running back each season
  3, Recruit a top Kicker/Punter each season
  4, Recruit a top Tight end each season
  5, Recruit tall physical receivers that are good a run blocking.

Boarcephus

Then you better have a staff that can do more with less, like a Petrino team and before I  get jumped about the UL/UK game they also beat the crap out of FSU and will go to a helluva lot better bowl than we will.  We haven't beaten a single team we didn't out talent with the lone exception of Ole Miss
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 26, 2016, 08:52:23 pm
Then you better have a staff that can do more with less, like a Petrino team and before I  get jumped about the UL/UK game they also beat the crap out of FSU and will go to a helluva lot better bowl than we will.  We haven't beaten a single team we didn't out talent with the lone exception of Ole Miss

Florida especially on defense.

Petrino didn't have less offensively in 2010 and 11.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 26, 2016, 08:53:48 pm
Petrino didn't have less offensively in 2010 and 11.

and he went 10-3 and 11-2. 

I will give you this, UF is a head scratcher.  We had 4 losses this year by blow out margins and one to Missouri.  I'm not saying Bielema is a bad hire but it appears he's made some poor choices in his hires. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

sowmonella

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 26, 2016, 08:47:00 pm
   Things that we can do.

No mention of defense? That's where the deficit is.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 26, 2016, 09:09:13 pm
and he went 10-3 and 11-2. 

I will give you this, UF is a head scratcher.  We had 4 losses this year by blow out margins and one to Missouri.  I'm not saying Bielema is a bad hire but it appears he's made some poor choices in his hires.

A lot with Florida was Del Rio and a solid day from our offense.

I don't get the Segrest hire.

He needs SEC experience in the def assts and he has a total of 1 season with Rhoads at AU. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 26, 2016, 08:41:07 pm
move our campus to Atlanta.

Yup.

Nwa is too bumpkin white and it's close to Harrison. Just the way the cards are dealt.

Boarcephus

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 26, 2016, 08:30:09 pm

Ditto.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

IronHog

Quote from: AP85 on November 26, 2016, 09:15:31 pm
Yup.

Nwa is too bumpkin white and it's close to Harrison. Just the way the cards are dealt.

Not the issue

Just weird there for a southerner

Nosboar Accubond

Things that we can do.

So about that defense...

hoglady

Hope if we make some coaching changes we start seeing some coaches with some Deep South ties.
Our coaching staff is made up of mostly mid-westerners.
Sure wouldn't hurt to have a coach or 2 with SEC experience.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

AirWarren

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2016, 09:38:54 pm

Not the issue

Just weird there for a southerner

Southern blacks especially.

Fayetteville is good for folks like that one poster that likes to take the picture of the same cliff rock and use it as avatar. Folks that like to take pictures of changing fall colors.

NOT Jalen Hurts type athletes.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on November 26, 2016, 09:41:07 pm
So about that defense...

The best defense for Arkansas is a solid offense. We recruit good defensive players. Poor coaching and scheme are Arkansas biggest obstacle. Keeping the other teams offense off the field has got to be the priority.

atekido

Who said we are supposed to beat them consistently....?  Why do you think that should happen?  Bama has a WAY larger instate talent pool proven by the kids who played HS FB in Alabama who are currently in the NFL which is like 60.  They basically have the highest highschool talent to population ratio in the country.  Florida highschools have the most NFL players. about 3x more but have 5x the population.  20 million vs 4 million.  That is a Huge advantage.

Hogimus Prime

Need speed and quickness at LB even if they are slightly undersized.  Lack of LB speed and quickness is part of the problem. DL and DB's can not be very aggressive when the DC is trying to cover that big of a weakness.

Quit trying to bulk everyone up. IMO that is part of the problem. Getting too big too fast takes a lot of speed, quickness and flexibility away.   

luke hawg

We are recruiting our way out of this. This will be Bielema's third quality class. The first two came off losing seasons. They contained a lot of Jucos and a couple players that never made it to campus. The last two classes have been good. We need 3 more with a big season in 2017 or 2018 to keep the natives from screwing it up. Most the talent on this team are freshman, sophomores, or redshirt sophomores. We need to keep on making bowl games winning 7-9 and redshirting 15-17 players.

gchamblee

Things that we can do.

we seem to be rb, qb, te and receiver rich. what we need are oline, linebackers and cornerbacks. those 3 areas would have made a huge difference this year. when we lost greenlaw, 1 player, we lostt the ability to play defense if something made it past the dline.

gchamblee

Quote from: atekido on November 27, 2016, 12:09:48 am
Who said we are supposed to beat them consistently....?  Why do you think that should happen?  Bama has a WAY larger instate talent pool proven by the kids who played HS FB in Alabama who are currently in the NFL which is like 60.  They basically have the highest highschool talent to population ratio in the country.  Florida highschools have the most NFL players. about 3x more but have 5x the population.  20 million vs 4 million.  That is a Huge advantage.

we should at least beat them half the time, and at least be competitive in the losses. I always thought CBB would have us competitive even if we lost, but this year he proved me wrong.

longpig

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 27, 2016, 12:17:26 am
Need speed and quickness at LB even if they are slightly undersized.  Lack of LB speed and quickness is part of the problem. DL and DB's can not be very aggressive when the DC is trying to cover that big of a weakness.

Quit trying to bulk everyone up. IMO that is part of the problem. Getting too big too fast takes a lot of speed, quickness and flexibility away.

We're going to miss Brooks Ellis's slow self. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

greenie

Quote from: AP85 on November 26, 2016, 09:50:55 pm

Fayetteville is good for folks like that one poster that likes to take the picture of the same cliff rock and use it as avatar. Folks that like to take pictures of changing fall colors.

So Tuscaloosa, Oxford, Baton Rouge, Auburn are more appealing from a cultural standpoint than Fayetteville?  Not sure I can go there.  I think it's more that we are not seen as a top-tier program, and with all the pub that surrounds recruiting these days, "top-tier" programs win most recruiting battles.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: greenie on November 27, 2016, 02:16:31 am
So Tuscaloosa, Oxford, Baton Rouge, Auburn are more appealing from a cultural standpoint than Fayetteville?  Not sure I can go there.  I think it's more that we are not seen as a top-tier program, and with all the pub that surrounds recruiting these days, "top-tier" programs win most recruiting battles.

If you mean a place more familiar, then yes. Fayetteville is another planet to those kids.
Go away, batin'

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Boarcephus

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 27, 2016, 03:03:15 am
If you mean a place more familiar, then yes. Fayetteville is another planet to those kids.

Well said and dead on. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Surfing8 on November 27, 2016, 12:42:53 am
This gets old.

Black athletes from TX go to:
OU
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Nebraska
Missouri
Colorado
Wyoming
Montana
...and a whole lot of other "white" places.

If you want to see "white" go through the MSP airport in the winter.  Those people are practically glowing.

Arkansas has a STRONG history of getting great athletes from Texas.

It's a weak excuse.
Are you serious? Those places have forever been more tolerant and accepting of other than white.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Boarcephus

This gets old.

OU
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Nebraska
Missouri
Colorado
Wyoming
Montana

If you want to see "white" go through the MSP airport in the winter.  Those people are practically glowing.

It's a weak excuse. 

I'd wager the only Texas athletes that go to Wyoming, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Missouri, Colorado are the ones without a lot of other options.

userpick

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 27, 2016, 03:01:36 am
Bags of cash. Big ones.

^ Bottom line. If you don't like the thought of unethical/illegal  methods, go support a program that doesn't have to in order to win. We ain't getting another Petrino. And even if we did, that doesn't guarantee anything. Arkansas will not get an out of state, 5 star skill player unless he just falls into our lap.

elksnort

Quote from: AP85 on November 26, 2016, 09:50:55 pm

Yeah, Nolan's teams were mostly white.

elksnort

Quote from: userpick on November 27, 2016, 09:20:03 am
^ Bottom line. If you don't like the thought of unethical/illegal  methods, go support a program that doesn't have to in order to win. We ain't getting another Petrino. And even if we did, that doesn't guarantee anything. Arkansas will not get an out of state, 5 star skill player unless he just falls into our lap.
THIS^^^^
at least for a stud LB

IronHog

This gets old.

OU
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Nebraska
Missouri
Colorado
Wyoming
Montana

It's a weak excuse. 

Texas recruits aren't southern and they aren't gonna cut it on a large scale in the SEC west.

IronHog

Quote from: greenie on November 27, 2016, 02:16:31 am

Yes all those places are much more appealing.....to most D1 recruits.

If you are from Monroe or Shreveport those places feel like home.....Fayetteville is like you fell off the earth.  It may be "nicer" but it is still a big culture shift.

Players commit to coaches but distance and local community are big factors as well.

SEdrhawg

farmhawg

Recruiting might help the piss poor coaching but right now it's not any better.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike_e

Hey, if we're just going to pie in the sky our way out of this then rebuilding the HS football infrastructure in Arkansas would help a lot.  We may not get any more 5* types but the extra 3* and 4* guys that were already coached up at their natural positions and already bleed Razorback red would be a Godsend.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mike_e on November 27, 2016, 10:53:11 am
Hey, if we're just going to pie in the sky our way out of this then rebuilding the HS football infrastructure in Arkansas would help a lot.  We may not get any more 5* types but the extra 3* and 4* guys that were already coached up at their natural positions and already bleed Razorback red would be a Godsend.

Consolidation would have to happen to even have a start with this and Arkansas won't do it. The state has what 32 teams combined in its largest divisions and nearly a 100 in each of its smaller divisions?

swineology

We have 3 legit OL coming in in January. Wagner could be a starter, the others if nothing else provide quality depth.
K Rich and Dre will be back healthy. Scoota will be good. Jean-Baptiste will provide depth at the LB position.

If we can somehow hang on to Ragnow, OL could be legit

Get rid of Segrest and Smith and hire Strong and Partridge.

:razorback: :razorback:

Pork Twain

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 27, 2016, 04:26:10 pm
Consolidation would have to happen to even have a start with this and Arkansas won't do it. The state has what 32 teams combined in its largest divisions and nearly a 100 in each of its smaller divisions?
In many rural areas, consolidation would be a logistical nightmare and will never happen.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/