Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Danger of Losing Dan Enos?

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, November 26, 2016, 12:41:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Was thinking about this today.  If Dan Enos thinks there is any heat on Bret, say for example that next year is a make or break year, would he entertain a move to another program as an OC?  Would he go back to MSU if they needed an OC and were willing to pay?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Kevin

I hope not. He had a bad day yesterday , but overall he has been awesome
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 26, 2016, 12:41:16 pm
Was thinking about this today.  If Dan Enos thinks there is any heat on Bret, say for example that next year is a make or break year, would he entertain a move to another program as an OC?  Would he go back to MSU if they needed an OC and were willing to pay?

I think MSU is about the only threat to lose him as an OC.

onebadrubi

If he goes Mich St i don't think it's because his thought is I'm leaving because there is heat on Bielema.  Mich st is his alma matter. 

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2016, 12:42:59 pm
I think MSU is about the only threat to lose him as an OC.
You can't be serious, he can go anywhere in college football except the SEC. I'd say the odds are pretty good actually.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Kevin on November 26, 2016, 12:42:10 pm

This is my thinking, while not perfect, has much more good than bad, and does a very good job developing/preparing QBs which can not be discounted even after a poor game. 

I know the odds are not high that he leaves but would hate to lose him.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Redhogs on November 26, 2016, 12:46:33 pm
You can't be serious, he can go anywhere in college football except the SEC. I'd say the odds are pretty good actually.

No he can't. What are some of his choices? Any successful programs aren't hiring OC's this season.  I'm not saying he won't have opportunity I'm saying he won't leave unless it's MSU. He can't be an OC in the SEC so that leaves head coach or OC in a lesser conference. Unlikely.

hogcard1964

Who cares?  If we clean house in a year, does it really matter if Enos sticks around?

WorfHog

That'd be one hell of a loss. The mastermind of our glorious second half where we scored ZERO points against the worst team in the conference. It'd be a shame to lose that guy.

luke hawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2016, 12:50:29 pm
No he can't. What are some of his choices? Any successful programs aren't hiring OC's this season.  I'm not saying he won't have opportunity I'm saying he won't leave unless it's MSU. He can't be an OC in the SEC so that leaves head coach or OC in a lesser conference. Unlikely.

There aren't many places he can go that run his system. Anywhere outside the SEC won't be able to offer more money.

Beaverfever

He's a good OC and is NOT our problem.  I hope we don't lose him. 

Sooie71923

LOL

Who cares if we lose Enos?! According to most on here, he wouldn't be missed.

swineology

Chances are very high. If LSU wiff's on Kiffin, Dan will be the next call.

PorkRinds

Quote from: luke hawg on November 26, 2016, 12:55:59 pm
There aren't many places he can go that run his system. Anywhere outside the SEC won't be able to offer more money.

Exactly. He will get a big raise after this season is up. I'll say it again. Only way he leaves is for a HC job.

longpig

CDE is young and MSU doesn't pay.  Long as he likes where he's living, who he's working for, who's working for him and has players to work with at a competitve salary, he's not going anywhere.  Hopefully he'll be bumped to around 1 mil soon.
Don't be scared, be smart.

PorkRinds

Quote from: swineology on November 26, 2016, 12:57:31 pm

He. Can't. He has a non-compete.

East Clintwood

We had better hope he doesn't leave.

I think we're going to have trouble hiring good assistant coaches from now on.  Bret's locked in for two more years and unless some divine miracle happens, he will be let go at that point.  In all probability, as is usual with coaching changes, most of the assistants will not be retained by whomever replaces BB.

Also, I think many assistants will look a BB's lackluster performance here  and decide that joining his staff is not likely to be much of a boost to their resume.

I'm not sure too many assistants will be willing to move their families for just a two year gig.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

onebadrubi

Quote from: swineology on November 26, 2016, 12:57:31 pm

Geeze how stupid.  how many times do we need to say it.  I'm not even going too.  Just a DA

MountieDawg

He put up 0 points in the 2nd half vs a team that gave up 51 to Middle Tennessee State.  I don't believe his phone is ringing.
SEC!

WorfHog

Why in the world would Kiffin leave Alabama for LSU? That's like trading a Ferrari for a Cadillac.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: WorfHog on November 26, 2016, 01:48:51 pm
Why in the world would Kiffin leave Alabama for LSU? That's like trading a Ferrari for a Cadillac.
I am still vexed that LSU hired the "Pepper up the gumbo" man.   Either LSU whiffed on several candidates and did so quickly or they just don't have the money after Leslie took them for the mother-load. I think it's the latter, LSU is hurting for money, so they hired a cajun who was 5-2.....I still find it difficult to believe that we'll get to play Orgeron for the next 5 years. Some dreams do come true.

AD: as to not derail this thread, Enos is going nowhere...It's my opinion that he believes that he may just get the HC job at the UA if he has one really good year.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

lefty08

Should we be upset to see him go?   The loss yesterday was 100% on him. I know he's a darling and all on this site, but he is just as much to blame as the rest of the staff for the poor year
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: lefty08 on November 26, 2016, 01:55:50 pm
Should we be upset to see him go?   The loss yesterday was 100% on him. I know he's a darling and all on this site, but he is just as much to blame as the rest of the staff for the poor year
disagree...he made one bad play call yesterday, obviously bad play call and that was the reverse with Cornelius from inside the 5 yard line...those plays rarely work when the defense isn't stretched out...in other words, the placement on the field was the reason that call didn't work...the play that killed us, and Bielema should have seen this coming, is the fake punt...Mizzou knew if they punted to us from that position on the field that we would go down and put the game out of reach...point is, Bielema, given the same set of circumstances would have likely faked the punt also...after all, Mizzou had nothing to lose, their season was over and still is

lefty08

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 26, 2016, 02:00:30 pm
disagree...he made one bad play call yesterday, obviously bad play call and that was the reverse with Cornelius from inside the 5 yard line...those plays rarely work when the defense isn't stretched out...in other words, the placement on the field was the reason that call didn't work...the play that killed us, and Bielema should have seen this coming, is the fake punt...Mizzou knew if they punted to us from that position on the field that we would go down and put the game out of reach...point is, Bielema, given the same set of circumstances would have likely faked the punt also...after all, Mizzou had nothing to lose, their season was over and still is

He completely abandoned the run in the 2nd half and Austin doesn't know how to throw a ball away.  Yesterday was on Enos.

I like the guy and I think he's a good coach.  I hope he stays.  People talking about the bad defense after that game are just touting the company line.  Missouri has the best offense in the league and we gave up 28. Our offense didn't show against the worst defense in the league.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

TNhawgfan

In between the 20s i agree. Inside the 10 yard line he's been worse than chaney this year. I don't want to lose him though
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2016, 12:50:29 pm
We'll see...we agree to disagree. I think he would have left for Ga. last year if not for the non-compete.

Redhogs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 26, 2016, 12:53:01 pm
Who cares?  If we clean house in a year, does it really matter if Enos sticks around?
like that's gonna happen.  ::) ::)

IronHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 26, 2016, 02:00:30 pm

He called a horrible game yesterday

He also let that OL BS go on far too long
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ThisTeetsTaken

I hope not. He
had a bad day yesterday , but overall he has been awesome
Only had a bad half.  First half he was nearly flawless.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DeltaBoy

Who cares we lost to the ZOO.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 26, 2016, 02:20:23 pm
Who cares we lost to the ZOO.
this ....after all is said and done, what does it matter...sounding like Hilary now

Sed76

He can come across as a genius at times and a idiot on others. The second half yesterday and the Texas A&M game was just terrible.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Not perfect but his positives far outweighed the negatives all year.  Also he is not the Oline coach and a lot of offensive shortcomings this year fall squarely on the shoulders of the O line where they are lead by a guy 4 with years FBS coaching experience at a crappy EMU team.  Dan had to overcome poor Oline play all year and find ways to make the best of it.  He may have called some passes that should have been runs yesterday but he is not the reason we finished with 5 losses.  He may be a big reason we have 7 wins.

When evaluating the staff as a whole or ranking the assistants DE is at the front of the line while I believe RS1, RS2, and KA are at the bottom.  Losing either of those 3 would not be a blow and should be an easy upgrade.  Losing DE would be a blow.  And while you may disagree with some play calls cannot argue with his ability to develop QBs.

SCHawgfan

Yea that guys sucks, those two int's in the red zone, oh wait that was the QB that had a bad day. But still he got them in position to win and threw two almost perfect passes that were dropped. ITS NOT THE OFFENSE!! That has killed us this year.  Rob Smith plain and simple is the problem. It would be a huge loss if Enos left. AA having to start his Sr year in a new offense, no thanks.

ATU HOG

If it wasn't for Enos, these last 2 seasons would have been even worse.  He is one of the best OC's in the country.  Look what he did for Brandon Allen.  Did anyone EVER think he was going to get drafted his first 2 years as a starter?

He makes mistakes too there's no doubt about that, but he's a guy giving us a chance.

JackTNHogfan

Quote from: Sed76 on November 26, 2016, 02:53:50 pm
He can come across as a genius at times and a idiot on others. The second half yesterday and the Texas A&M game was just terrible.

Exactly.  If he wants out, I'll help pack his bags.  I say we change philosophy and run the triple option.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: lefty08 on November 26, 2016, 01:55:50 pm

i hesitated to weigh in, but this just isn't the case. the defense has been the issue this year, and is largely responsible for most of our losses these last several years. there are a few exceptions, but on average, it's the defense.

enos has had one hell of a year, all things considered. yesterday; not so much. still, with a defense that can help out just a little bit, yesterday should've been in the bag.

just think back; how many qb's have had great games against the hogs? damn near everyone we've played. bo wallace would be an exception. we were all over him. but unfortunately, that game is an exception where it should be the rule.

the early season woe's we've had - BAD defense. we have an unnatural and elevated fear of dual threat qb's. watching closely, it's as though our defenders are so fixated on containment that they forget that the overall object is to get the player down. when one of our DL's happens to get one on one in the backfield with the qb, it is too often a dancing contest.

perhaps the best example of our lack of defensive aggression is atm 2 years ago. i point to this play often. we were up and had atm pinned deep in their field on a long 3d down. we were in charge at that point. but what do we do? we don't go after hill and put him down. NO. we rush three and let him dance around until he delivers a deep strike. THAT PLAY lost the game.

comparing enos to smith; the former has been much more consistent than the latter. enos didn't have his best day yesterday but it was far from terrible. on the other hand, with regard to smith, there's not a part of the last three years that weren't terrible. some of it was downright dreadful.

so respectfully, i disagree. we clamored around smith much too soon. enos has proven his pudding with consistency. we have OL issues for sure, but those seem to be more personnel rather than coaching.

enos is not the, or a, problem.

The rest of the frog.

Danny J

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 26, 2016, 12:56:53 pm
LOL

Who cares if we lose Enos?! According to most on here, he wouldn't be missed.
Yeah but those people are clueless. Enos and Michael Smith are the two best coaches on the staff. As a matter of fact I would rather them stay than CBB.

IronHog

How is the defense responsible for the goal line debacles and turnovers vs ATM?

5 turnovers vs Bama?

Turnovers and poor execution vs LSU?

Compete no show vs Auburn?

Complete no show in second half vs mizz?

Why hogville gives the offense a pass is beyond me.....in modern football it's an offensive game.  Expecting a defense to stone teams is a thing of the past.

Danny J

Quote from: ATU HOG on November 26, 2016, 03:41:21 pm
If it wasn't for Enos, these last 2 seasons would have been even worse.  He is one of the best OC's in the country.  Look what he did for Brandon Allen.  Did anyone EVER think he was going to get drafted his first 2 years as a starter?

He makes mistakes too there's no doubt about that, but he's a guy giving us a chance.
Exactly...nobody is perfect. Petrino is the best play caller in college and he screws things up from time to time.

hogcard1964

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2016, 04:15:44 pm

5 turnovers vs Bama?

Why hogville gives the offense a pass is beyond me.....in modern football it's an offensive game.  Expecting a defense to stone teams is a thing of the past.

+1000

The entire coaching staff is fair game.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 26, 2016, 12:53:01 pm

Everything Enos has done to improve the QB's and the offense is barely enough to offset horrendous defense and mediocre to bad special teams play and get Arkansas bowl eligible year to year.  If he jumps on any job opportunity with one of the new staffs this year I think CBB has no hope of recovering before things spiral out of Jeff Long's control.

I think he has a no compete claise in the SEC but he might go elsewhere.

Atlhogfan1

I am not a fan of pass first limited as runner qbs in college football. We have loaded up on them.  Not a fan of how slow developing our plays are especially pass. 

Enos has been very good till red zone. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2016, 04:15:44 pm

5 turnovers vs Bama?

I'm not sure Enos can really bare primary responsibility for this year's OL issues which are the primary reason for the goal line problems and the reason AA gets inaccurate under high pressure.

In general Arkansas operates in a mode where the team can win if the offense makes few or no mistakes and scores virtually every possession and losses if the offense is only scoring on 50-60% of possessions.  That's not realistic for any team playing in the SEC.

IronHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 26, 2016, 04:26:58 pm
I'm not sure Enos can really bare primary responsibility for this year's OL issues which are the primary reason for the goal line problems and the reason AA gets inaccurate under high pressure.

In general Arkansas operates in a mode where the team can win if the offense makes few or no mistakes and scores virtually every possession and losses if the offense is only scoring on 50-60% of possessions.  That's not realistic for any team playing in the SEC.

What you just described is 80% of college football

That OL mess is on Enos.  He's the coordinator.

Mizz with a good offense only scored 28.  They have a dumpster fire defense and the hog offense rolled over for them in the second half yesterday......24 points ain't enough in 2016

Pigasaurus

Enos has to deal with under performing OL not protecting his first year starter QB in the SEC west.  I think he has earned his pay this year. 
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Redhogs

Quote from: Danny J on November 26, 2016, 04:13:29 pm
Yeah but those people are clueless. Enos and Michael Smith are the two best coaches on the staff. As a matter of fact I would rather them stay than CBB.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Kevin

Emotionally driven decisions are mostly bad decisions

Don't let your emotions of losing to a bad team over ride the facts of the last two years.

Enos is a keeper, he leaves, that would be bad for the hogs.

I think the next oc is lunney. Cbb has spoke very highly of him, this year. I also, think he would want to keep continuity with the offense

Are you guys ready for that?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

tlmack

I think worfhog and hogcard 1964 should pay all the buyouts for the coaches and become headcoach and OC. We would then suddenly get so many 4 and 5 star players across the country begging to have an opportunity to be a Razorback we would turn some away. Wow! 8 of the next 10 National Titles will be ours!!!!!

The Kig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 26, 2016, 12:43:46 pm
If he goes Mich St i don't think it's because his thought is I'm leaving because there is heat on Bielema.  Mich st is his alma matter.

I don't think he leaves for an OC job anywhere.  HC at a good school will be his for the taking in the coming years. 
Poker Porker