Wholesale Defensive Change

Started by tchog1956, November 25, 2016, 04:15:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tchog1956

Worst defense I've seen In 38 year of watching Razorback Football

TNRazorbacker

Yes, clean house. Its an embarassment

LZH

Patience....it's Petrino's fault, anyway.

SemperFi

This Defense has no heart, no pride and is lacking in talent. Not sure if any coach could have stepped in and made enough changes to prevent the trash that we're seeing on the field right now. Beyond disappointed because the best team on the field is now losing. Even if AA manages to settle down enough and regains his composure this defense is absolutely horrible and still may give the game away.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

AirWarren

Got to go.

And we have to recruit speed. For the first time I'm sick of hearing about recruiting uncommon men. We need some mean ass inner city kids that can outrun a cop car on foot.

TNhawgfan

What?? Did you not read the rhodes thread? Our secondary is salty
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Pecos Hog

Worst Arkansas defense I've ever seen since the early 1970's.   

Knot2brite

They can change the entire staff but the reality is that they will still have the same athletes. They need to change schemes but they have no athletes to put out there
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: TNhawgfan on November 25, 2016, 04:22:41 pm

What?? Did you not read the rhodes thread? Our secondary is salty

Does salt make you run slow & miss tackles ??
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

TNRazorbacker

I'm tired of the talent excuses. I've seen lots of teams with no better talent than AR, even less, that play much better defense than AR. Poor alignment, poor technique, misunderstanding covers in the secondary, and plain ole lack of tenacity and grit? These things have nothing to do with talent. Nobody (or most) is expecting Alabama or LSU type physical dominance, just competent defense.

BB said the D line was the best he EVER had before the season started yet the run defense was horrendous this year. When a team returns the number of players the Hogs did this year and they regress to this degree the primary problem is not talent.

toxichog

This IS the worst Arkansas Defense is can ever remember.  Talent is a major issue, especially in the secondary.  When Mizzou receivers were continually running behind our corners, it wasnt lack of effort.......our corners were at full throttle......that WAS their high gear.  They simply do not have SEC speed.  None of the linebackers ( possible exception Greenlaw ) could play for any other SEC team.  There are a couple freshman at linebacker with talent, but the decision was made to redshirt them.......the D-Line has talent, but has simply underachieved.  The put additional stress on the secondary. 
If people are objective ( they are not now, maybe in a couple weeks ) they will realize that the DEFENSE is what kept this team from winning 8 or 9 games.  The program is not in shambles, the O-Line improved and will be better next year ( need Ragnow to stay ). Better recruiting class coming in........BUT......the defense MUST CHANGE.......or else we will lose a couple more games next year that we should have won.

MountieDawg

Imagine how bad the defense would be if the offense ran the hurry up no huddle.  Might be giving up 65 points per game.
SEC!

count of bacon

I hate the 4-2-5 defensive  alignment.   Is there any top 20 defenses that use it? How about running  a base 4-3?

jackflash

I believe we needs chances. But replacing assistants doesn't work if we can get better ones who can recruit.  So far we haven't done that. Presser on coach BB to improve the defense and he knows this

bennyl08

Quote from: count of bacon on November 27, 2016, 09:08:27 am
I hate the 4-2-5 defensive  alignment.   Is there any top 20 defenses that use it? How about running  a base 4-3?

Seahawks...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

reddogjcss

Worse D I've ever seen, need to get different D coaches

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: count of bacon on November 27, 2016, 09:08:27 am

I'd actually think that's becoming more common with all the spread teams out there now.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

luke hawg

Quote from: toxichog on November 27, 2016, 08:36:07 am
This IS the worst Arkansas Defense is can ever remember.  Talent is a major issue, especially in the secondary.  When Mizzou receivers were continually running behind our corners, it wasnt lack of effort.......our corners were at full throttle......that WAS their high gear.  They simply do not have SEC speed.  None of the linebackers ( possible exception Greenlaw ) could play for any other SEC team.  There are a couple freshman at linebacker with talent, but the decision was made to redshirt them.......the D-Line has talent, but has simply underachieved.  The put additional stress on the secondary. 
If people are objective ( they are not now, maybe in a couple weeks ) they will realize that the DEFENSE is what kept this team from winning 8 or 9 games.  The program is not in shambles, the O-Line improved and will be better next year ( need Ragnow to stay ). Better recruiting class coming in........BUT......the defense MUST CHANGE.......or else we will lose a couple more games next year that we should have won.

One of the best posts since the loss. The offense is should be strong next season. It was supposed to be the weak point of this team replacing 3 OL, QB, RB, and TE. They actually put up great numbers and should be a strong unit next season. The defense was bad last year and atrocious this year. Apparently returning 9 of 11 starters isn't always a good thing. The bright spots were Pulley, Agim, Harris, and Jackson towards the end of the season. Ramirez and Coley were terribly inconsistent. This defense needed upperclassmen with experience like Wise, Ledbetter, Dean, Collins, Liddell, and Ellis to produce. We got very little production from any of them. While improved athleticism is a must, we also need a simplified more aggressive defense. This pro style read and react crap doesn't work in college. This is our third coordinator attempting to run a pro style defense and we've fluctuated between decent and terrible.

hoglady

Quote from: LZH on November 25, 2016, 04:20:55 pm
Patience....it's Petrino's fault, anyway.

Maybe this is the last year we'll have to hear that excuse over and over.
Give me one of Willie's defenses any day over what I watched this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoglady on November 27, 2016, 10:01:12 pm
Maybe this is the last year we'll have to hear that excuse over and over.
Give me one of Willie's defenses any day over what I watched this year.

It's pretty clear BB doesn't care about defense.  No different than BP.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hoglady

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 27, 2016, 08:56:38 am
Imagine how bad the defense would be if the offense ran the hurry up no huddle.  Might be giving up 65 points per game.

Imagine how bad our defense would look if we had to face competent offenses every week.
The SEC offenses overall are pretty pitiful this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

arlhog

I have no problem complaining about our defense, but the offense did absolutely nothing the 2nd half.   It's a whole team thing, not just a defense thing.   Our defense didn't do that bad in the 1st half and our offense dominated the first half.   The 2nd half hits and neither is worth anthing.   It wasn't just a defensive breakdown.   The offense scores 1 touchdown in the 2nd half and it's a w not an l.

hoglady

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 10:03:09 pm
It's pretty clear BB doesn't care about defense.  No different than BP.

Petrino is an offensive mind.
I thought BB was all about good Oline play and solid defense.
It's been a really confusing year for sure.

hoglady

Quote from: arlhog on November 27, 2016, 10:06:04 pm
I have no problem complaining about our defense, but the offense did absolutely nothing the 2nd half.   It's a whole team thing, not just a defense thing.   Our defense didn't do that bad in the 1st half and our offense dominated the first half.   The 2nd half hits and neither is worth anthing.   It wasn't just a defensive breakdown.   The offense scores 1 touchdown in the 2nd half and it's a w not an l.

You're right - 2nd half of the game wasn't one of Enos' better games.
Don't know why he insisted on passing so much. Just give the ball to RWIII and Whaley and win the dang game.

jm

DB's don't get that badly by a lack of pure speed. We lack recognition and instincts. Like great outfielders who read the ball so quickly that they seem to move before the swing of the bat, great DB's seem to recognize the situation and run the route better that the receiver sometimes.

Torqued pork

Time of possession was our defense.

Fan1958

Definitely the worst defense since 1990. 

Probably get banned for this but 29 was constantly CHASING the receiver.  Got beat at least twice in the second half that resulted in TDs.  Worrisome thing is must have nobody better. Pulley the only bright spot in the secondary.  Just needs some work with the WRs and catch a few more of the passes he steps in front of.

Linebacker play was HORRENDOUS the entire season and it had NOTHING to do with alignment. I realize the senior linebacker was everybody's All American and he played with grit and heart but I seriously doubt he could be more than third on most SEC defenses.  Was always 2-3 steps behind the receiver on the underneath routes.

Offense not the problem.  Defense cost the aTm and Mizzou games. Little chance at Bama, and LSU and Auburn were just blowouts. Better defense MIGHT have kept them in the LSU game.   

A bit better defense and looking at 9-3 with a decent bowl and a chance at a 10 win season.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ckhawgu

It certainly was a sorry & pitiful defensive year for this team! We've also regressed mostly with these same players going on three yrs now. Linebacker & safety play, as well as, lack of a pass rush has been a thorn in our side for these past few seasons as well. Since we clearly have regressed over this time frame, how can he possibly justify not making changes to this staff going forward? Just unbelievable if that is the case...

sigpooie

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 28, 2016, 11:51:35 am
If this isn't a reason to make changes with the DC then I don't know what is.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category10/sort02.html

go ahead and hit the year tabs at the top of the page. We have sucked for over 7 years. Avg over 5 yards in most and over 6 yards in other years. We need some grown a-- men to fix this. Coaches and players. And someone needs to ask the head yard dog, why do the hud teams have less yards allowed that a team that eats up that much clock. It's time for the frat boy to grow a pair and go coach somewhere else.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

tophawg19

Quote from: hoglady on November 27, 2016, 10:11:38 pm
You're right - 2nd half of the game wasn't one of Enos' better games.
Don't know why he insisted on passing so much. Just give the ball to RWIII and Whaley and win the dang game.
i think the change came when the went to a 4 DE , quicker D-line . it was beating our O-line off the snap and jamming the run lanes . it would have helped if we had caught the ball better . Allen gave away two in the end zone as well. When Mcfain missed his kick , it shut down the kicking game as far as CBB was concerned . that forced us into some bad plays .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

razorbackred1

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 27, 2016, 08:16:42 am
I'm tired of the talent excuses. I've seen lots of teams with no better talent than AR, even less, that play much better defense than AR. Poor alignment, poor technique, misunderstanding covers in the secondary, and plain ole lack of tenacity and grit? These things have nothing to do with talent. Nobody (or most) is expecting Alabama or LSU type physical dominance, just competent defense.

BB said the D line was the best he EVER had before the season started yet the run defense was horrendous this year. When a team returns the number of players the Hogs did this year and they regress to this degree the primary problem is not talent.

This!!!!!! Anybody can do a good job with Alabama's talent, it takes a special coach to make em play bigger then they are .... RS ain't it!

GoHogs1091

I would like to see the following.

Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers    Jim Leavitt

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1065&path=football

Defensive Line    Tracy Rocker

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tracy_rocker_883838.html

Cornerbacks    Tim Duffie

"The downfield coverage from Duffie's cornerbacks played a significant role in the Cowboys finishing the 2015 season ranked sixth nationally in sacks."

http://www.okstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=27

Safeties    Mike Archer

1976–1977   Miami (FL) (GA)
1978   Miami (FL) (assistant)
1979–1983   Miami (FL) (DB)
1984   LSU (DB)
1985–1986   LSU (DC/DB)
1987–1990   LSU
1991–1992   Virginia (LB)
1993–1994   Kentucky (DC/LB)
1995   Kentucky (AHC/DC/LB)
1996–2002   Pittsburgh Steelers (LB)
2003–2006   Kentucky (DC)
2007–2012   NC State (DC)
2014   Virginia (S)
2015   Virginia (Assoc. HC/LB)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Archer_(American_football)