Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why will _________ find success at Arkansas?

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, November 24, 2017, 09:03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

Now that Bret is gone, I've taken extra thought in who our next coach will be and WHO DO I WANT. The problem is, I'm not over-excited about anyone available. There are names like Gus, Leech, Norvell, etc, but I have excitement and reservations about them all.

Why should we buy into your choice? Convince me.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Bubba's Bruisers

There's no name being mentioned that makes me excited for the future. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 24, 2017, 09:12:00 pm

Ha ha...that's basically my sentiments.

I agree that a change was needed, but outside of guys I don't think will be coming here like Frost or Kelley, I'm highly suspect of the names being thrown out.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Swestwill66

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 24, 2017, 09:12:00 pm
What are the chances it's someone nobody's even talking about? An OC or DC from a big time program ?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Swestwill66 on November 24, 2017, 09:15:45 pm
What are the chances it's someone nobody's even talking about? An OC or DC from a big time program ?

Chances are probably pretty decent.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Swestwill66 on November 24, 2017, 09:15:45 pm

I think there's an excellent chance of that happening, but which ones think would find success here? Venables?

Bubba's Bruisers

We better find someone who can improve recruiting.  If not, then it will be more of the same since we joined the SEC.

Recruiting is THE key.  And it will be a monumental task.

Swestwill66

Not sure it's venebles. Looks like all of the talking heads has Gus or norvell. It just feels like rope a dope,like the powers that be already have their guy and it isn't Gus or norvell.

rude1

There is risk in any hire, no matter how big of a name they have. Just because a coach comes from a lower conference doesn't mean he will fail, and neither does hiring a big name coach guarantees success. Sometimes it's more about the right fit than what the coaches name is.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 24, 2017, 09:20:46 pm
We better find someone who can improve recruiting.  If not, then it will be more of the same since we joined the SEC.

Recruiting is THE key.  And it will be a monumental task.

I agree, but it just seems like we'll never get a much higher recruiting rank. So, is development and play calling what we need to focus on? If it is...then how in the world do you measure that? How can you look at the names given and know who "develops" players the best?

kid squealer

I am hoping that whoever is hired can bring in an offensive scheme that is not predictable.  Let it be an exciting brand of football that keeps Hog fans on their feet and at their seats calling the Hogs through the final horn!  WPS!
SMITE ME JACKWAGONS!!!  I NEED TO BE THE -1 KING!!!

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: kid squealer on November 24, 2017, 09:35:40 pm
I am hoping that whoever is hired can bring in an offensive scheme that is not predictable.  Let it be an exciting brand of football that keeps Hog fans on their feet and at their seats calling the Hogs through the final horn!  WPS!

Is there a candidate that fits that mold?

kid squealer

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 24, 2017, 09:39:14 pm
Is there a candidate that fits that mold?
not trying to play the politician, but I would think there are many coaches who could potentially fit that bill.  Several have and are being mentioned on HG.  I really believe the Bielema hire was destined for this outcome simply because his offensive mindset was diabolically different than BP had in place here.  We won pretty quickly when BP came and with that type of mindset.  Plz Lord Jesus let it be again!
SMITE ME JACKWAGONS!!!  I NEED TO BE THE -1 KING!!!

Planetary

In my opinion the Razorbacks have some talent that a good football coach can come in and make us competitive overnight.  There are athletic directors that have a good grip on who the new up and coming coaches are.  Is it possible for us to get a Nolan Richardson for the football program?  Someone who can really recruit and can also be an excellent coach on game day.  Personally I would like for the administration to hire an outside consultant like Jimmy Johnson to help us identify and hire the young outstanding coach that is still out there.  Who that is I do not know but would like a homerun hire.  We have had some great coaches in the past.     

HogBreath

We really don't have to improve by leaps and bounds.....today's game, the Miss. State game or the Aggies, if we just made one more play in those games, we could/would have won all three.  Just one more play.

We need a coach who can find a way to make that happen.  Bielema did a lot of good things, just never got us over the hump, but we have been at times, pretty good.

Just like today, burned them deep twice in the first half, but got away from it in the second half, went deep once as I recall.

Limpert looked like an ace kicker, was nearly perfect on his kicks, but was a backup behind that Max Headroom guy to start the season?  Something wrong with that picture...Limpert can kick, Headroom always struggled.  Have to wonder how many other cases like this there are on the team.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

dfwalumdad

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 24, 2017, 09:03:14 pm
Now that Bret is gone, I've taken extra thought in who our next coach will be and WHO DO I WANT. The problem is, I'm not over-excited about anyone available. There are names like Gus, Leech, Norvell, etc, but I have excitement and reservations about them all.

Why should we buy into your choice? Convince me.

better yet friend ask yourself why bert didn't he was the worst coach in arkansas history since joining the sec. good riddance .

hogsmash12

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 24, 2017, 09:53:18 pm
better yet friend ask yourself why bert didn't he was the worst coach in arkansas history since joining the sec. good riddance .

Why? He's gone. I obviously just want to get perspectives on the next coach. Who fits our needs and how?

Why you would post that in this thread is very telling that you have a hatred for Bret and want to just talk about it, cuz this thread has nothing to do with that yet you still try to bring it up.

leroyhawg

Hire someone that knows how to Coach a QB, Petrino is not the only one. I'm not saying hire Gus or don't hire Gus, but he knows QB's.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

potus

Jimmy Johnson is still a very competitive person. Anything he lends his name or support to he wants to win.  Hell yes turn the hiring of the next head football coach over to him!!!

Iwastherein1969

This is kind of a silly question. There are a few necessities to being a successful coach. A man that can be a CEO to a once great and can be a great football program again. A man who can surround himself with assistants like Pittman, Chaney and Shannon and keep them at least more than a year or two. A man, and this above all, can recruit the 'honey holes' of high school talent in the deep south. Anywhere in Texas but the far western part and the southern part where Mexicans make up most of the rosters (few Mexicans are big enough to play D-1 ball), anyway, Houston, certain parts of San Antonio, Dallas and northeast Texas all the way to Texarkana. Trying to make a top shelf team out of recruiting Fayetteville, Rogers and Springdale just won't get it. We need just enough Arkansas players to keep that down home feeling. Open to new ideas, like playing recruits where they belong. And defense, please quit laying off 8 to 10 yards off of an opposing WR, we play so soft that the other team can get 6 to 8 yards every play. Just a few things.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 24, 2017, 10:28:16 pm
This is kind of a silly question. There are a few necessities to being a successful coach. A man that can be a CEO to a once great and can be a great football program again. A man who can surround himself with assistants like Pittman, Chaney and Shannon and keep them at least more than a year or two. A man, and this above all, can recruit the 'honey holes' of high school talent in the deep south. Anywhere in Texas but the far western part and the southern part where Mexicans make up most of the rosters (few Mexicans are big enough to play D-1 ball), anyway, Houston, certain parts of San Antonio, Dallas and northeast Texas all the way to Texarkana. Trying to make a top shelf team out of recruiting Fayetteville, Rogers and Springdale just won't get it. We need just enough Arkansas players to keep that down home feeling. Open to new ideas, like playing recruits where they belong. And defense, please quit laying off 8 to 10 yards off of an opposing WR, we play so soft that the other team can get 6 to 8 yards every play. Just a few things.

So...the "silly" question was based off not coming up with a good name that fits most of what you said. So, in your opinion, who fits your reasons?

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 24, 2017, 09:29:38 pm
I agree, but it just seems like we'll never get a much higher recruiting rank. So, is development and play calling what we need to focus on? If it is...then how in the world do you measure that? How can you look at the names given and know who "develops" players the best?

It is recruiting, PERIOD. If people think we can continue to recruit 10th best in the sec but are just going to "coach em up" they re crazy. For one season, when it all falls right, they might catch lightening in a bottle, but is not a recipe for consistent winning.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 24, 2017, 10:34:03 pm
So...the "silly" question was based off not coming up with a good name that fits most of what you said. So, in your opinion, who fits your reasons?
If I knew the answer, if anyone knew the answer to a certainty, well, I wouldn't be on Hogville, I'd be in an office in the football operations center. I thought that Bielema was a good choice at the time. Come to find out, he got lazy in his recruiting after Chaney and Pittman left.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jvanhorn

Well,there is always risk versus reward.  But if Norvell is really a good up and coming coach and is successful here, then we won't be having this problem for quite awhile.  Somewhere along the line you have to forget about today and try to get ahead of the curve, especially if you are a program like we are with some built in limitations.