Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We must win.

Started by hawgon, November 24, 2017, 08:11:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

No equivocation.  No qualifications.  No mention of ANY other standard or requirements for a coach.

I suspect that statement wasn't by accident and this was intended to represent the priorities of Arkansas football.  It is a clean break from the Jeff Long era.

010HogFan

cal34

That was great.  I figured she would throw some academics line in there after that but she didn't.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawgon on November 24, 2017, 08:11:44 pm
No equivocation.  No qualifications.  No mention of ANY other standard or requirements for a coach.

I suspect that statement wasn't by accident and this was intended to represent the priorities of Arkansas football.  It is a clean break from the Jeff Long era.
The new A.D. whoever it is,must make it clear that the goal is winning championships.just like the other SEC SCHOOLS.Arkansas should never have 5 years of this.NEVER!

HogBreath

Sounds like Coach Petrino may be coming back.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

elksnort

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 24, 2017, 08:19:15 pm
The new A.D. whoever it is,must make it clear that the goal is winning championships.just like the other SEC SCHOOLS.Arkansas should never have 5 years of this.NEVER!
OR, at least challenging for it.

Bacons Rebellion

Yes, the "We must win" statmeent was clearly crafted to separate the University from Long's misstep.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 24, 2017, 08:19:15 pm

Agreed.  And that should have been made clear to the basketball coach.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 24, 2017, 08:28:09 pm

Basketball coach has played in 2 ncaa tournaments in the last 3 years and has a team now that will probably be playing in another ncaa tournament.  I would say the basketball team is fine.  Each year he has been here has been going up except for one year that he finished 16-16.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawgon

Don't frick up my thread arguing about Mike Anderson.

Danimal

Oliver

I don't care if it's Julie's statement or someone wrote it for her.

It's damn refreshing to hear.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 24, 2017, 08:31:50 pm
Basketball coach has played in 2 ncaa tournaments in the last 3 years and has a team now that will probably be paying in another ncaa tournament.  I would say the basketball team is fine.  Each year he has been here has been going up except for one year that he finished 16-16.

Six years have already been shot to hell.  MA's teams have not only failed to be competitive nationally, they haven't even been in the SEC title conversation.    It took Sutton 3 years to win the conference ; Richardson four.  Both took over much more difficult situations.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: hawgon on November 24, 2017, 08:33:51 pm
Don't frick up my thread arguing about Mike Anderson.

If 'we must win' is to be the standard for the new AD then there can't be an exception for one coach.

hawgon

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 24, 2017, 08:42:38 pm
If 'we must win' is to be the standard for the new AD then there can't be an exception for one coach.

Don't do it.

Hawgphat

Quote from: HogBreath on November 24, 2017, 08:19:33 pm

If Petrino comes back there will be a lot of Razorback fans who won't.  I'll be one of them.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 24, 2017, 08:39:01 pm
Six years have already been shot to hell.  MA's teams have not only failed to be competitive nationally, they haven't even been in the SEC title conversation.    It took Sutton 3 years to win the conference ; Richardson four.  Both took over much more difficult situations.

You want to fire a coach that had to deal with issues that had been around for almost a decade before he showed up?  Basketball was a joke for a very long time.  Every single year except for 1 Mike Anderson improved the team.  Now we are set up to possibly be in the ncaa tournament on a yearly basis and you want to fire him? That is what we ask for from our coaches to give us a chance to win.  Making it to the tournament is giving us a chance to win. 

Do you hate the baseball team too? Because they don't ever win a NC either, but every year we get the chance to play for one because we are in the tournament. 

In football all that is asked for from them is to win an average of 8 games a year.

So please give me a real reason of why you hate Mike Anderson, because the two coaches before him combined for 2 winning seasons in conference in 9 years.  Mike Anderson has had already in 6 years 4 winning sec seasons one 9-9 season and one losing season( his first season).

So do you want to go back to where we were having losing seasons in the sec every year?

forrest city joe

Quote from: elksnort on November 24, 2017, 08:22:37 pm
OR, at least challenging for it.
Agreed. nobody other than Bama wins every year.the last 2 years of CBP is what i want. be in the hunt.and one of these years you might win the sec,and make the playoffs.but be in the hunt. and never be this bad again.

HogBreath

Quote from: Hawgphat on November 24, 2017, 08:45:09 pm
If Petrino comes back there will be a lot of Razorback fans who won't.  I'll be one of them.
Was you there today?

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

BigoBoys

That's not happening.  Lawyers won't let that happen

forrest city joe

The basketball coach is winning. so stop.program is looking up. and he is going to bring an Sec and maybe NC to Arkansas one day in my opinion.

hehawg

That '12 Cotton Bowl was exciting to watch!
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

buldozer

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 24, 2017, 08:25:31 pm
Yes, the "We must win" statmeent was clearly crafted to separate the University from Long's misstep.
No doubt written for her by others who are demanding a 180 degree turn from the JL era.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Oliver on November 24, 2017, 08:35:30 pm

Yes it was.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogBreath

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 24, 2017, 09:03:25 pm
That's not happening.  Lawyers won't let that happen

So rehiring a very successful former employee is illegal?

Poop Hoggy Hogg

I don't care if we cheat. We must win.

Locutus_of_Boar

Arkansas coaches staying four or more years by winning percentage:

Ken Hatfield 6 years 76% vs SWC, resigned to accept Clemson job.

Lou Holtz 7 years 74% vs SWC, terminated and went to Minnesota until Notre Dame opened

Franks Broyles 19 years 71% vs SWC, retired as AD

Hugo Bezdek, 5 years 69% vs Independent, moved up to Oregon and long time Penn St. coach.

Bobby Petrino, 4 years 67% vs SEC, terminated for non-football cause

Francis Schmidt, 7 years 65% vs SWC, moved up to TCU and long time Ohio St coach.

Houston Nutt, 10 years 61% vs SEC, moved down to Ole Miss

John Barnhill, 4 years 56% vs SWC, retired as AD due to medical reasons.

Fred Thomsen, 13 years 48% vs SWC, bought out and reactived by army for WWII.

Danny Ford, 5 years 47% vs SEC, terminated and left coaching.

Bret Bielema, 5 years 46% vs SEC, terminated.

Bottom line a 60%'er like Nutt can hang on but a 67% like Petrino should be the aiming point.

SlickWilly

razorsharptusk

Seems like all through her questioning, she presented a quiet confidence as if the head coaching job was nailed down.  However keeping it under wraps until a future time.  I can't help but wonder if Gus is seriously looking at the Hogs.  And let's not forget Horton is an Arkansas man as well. Just a speculation of course.
GO HOGS!!

Kevin

winning was in the release. and she said it twice. they are really trying to distance themselves from longs comments
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HoggyCat

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 24, 2017, 08:31:50 pm
Basketball coach has played in 2 ncaa tournaments in the last 3 years and has a team now that will probably be playing in another ncaa tournament.  I would say the basketball team is fine.  Each year he has been here has been going up except for one year that he finished 16-16.

They're fine until, like today, they play real competition.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

jkstock04

This. Starting with Long being kicked to the curb the message from the admin has done nothing but get better and better.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Con el Cerdos

Absolutely necessary.  I suspect Long was emboldened by the encouragement from his two immediate superiors, who like him, lost sight of the wishes of many of the large boosters, supporters, fans and maybe most important the BOT.  Only he paid the price with his job.

How unwise.

Swestwill66

I saw the Hog basketball team for first time yesterday. For the first time in a long time they look like a real team. Looks like Anderson found some grown men to play for him.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 24, 2017, 08:39:01 pm
Yes they have.they finished 3rd behind KY and FL,the year Portis won SEC player of the year.so take your hate back to Jump Ball. Mike Anderson is doing good job with his program.and he's winning.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 24, 2017, 09:47:25 pm
They're fine until, like today, they play real competition.

It's basketball some games aren't always good. In the end though what we ask for is for them to make the tournament.  You make the tournament you have a chance of winning it all. 

HF#1

Quote from: HogBreath on November 24, 2017, 09:11:10 pm
So rehiring a very successful former employee is illegal?

He is a HR nightmare and I would imagine he is not eligible for rehire.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 24, 2017, 10:02:50 pm
It's basketball some games aren't always good. In the end though what we ask for is for them to make the tournament.  You make the tournament you have a chance of winning it all. 

What we expect of coaches is to win championships.  That starts in the conference.  That's where the championship culture is forged.  If they're not winning SEC titles then they're certainly not going to be winning national titles.  Making an NCAA cameo from time to time is meaningless.

Garon111

I WOULD LOVE IT IF THEY BROUGHT HIM BACK.  GIVE HIM A YEAR OR TWO AND YOU WOULD TOO.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 24, 2017, 10:07:22 pm
What we expect of coaches is to win championships.  That starts in the conference.  That's where the championship culture is forged.  If they're not winning SEC titles then they're certainly not going to be winning national titles.  Making an NCAA cameo from time to time is meaningless.

So we should fire everyone then correct? Even the baseball coach because he doesn't win the SEC much either.  I just wish you would admit the real reason of why you hate Mike Anderson.  He has turned the program around to actually be better in the SEC and will probably have us in a 3rd ncaa tournament in 4 years. But you have a hardon for him for some reason.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on November 24, 2017, 09:38:28 pm
winning was in the release. and she said it twice. they are really trying to distance themselves from longs comments
Yep.and you never heard her say that we are not a win at all cost program. we have never been a win at all cost program.Frank Broyles ran a clean program.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 24, 2017, 10:17:03 pm
So we should fire everyone then correct? Even the baseball coach because he doesn't win the SEC much either.  I just wish you would admit the real reason of why you hate Mike Anderson.  He has turned the program around to actually be better in the SEC and will probably have us in a 3rd ncaa tournament in 4 years. But you have a hardon for him for some reason.

You seem to have the hard on for some strange reason.  I prefer a coach whose teams win championships.  We've seen that great coaches can do great things with the Razorback basketball program.  What's hard to understand is why one would embrace anything less.

hogsanity

Now define "win"
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

yeah i seriously doubt that
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 24, 2017, 10:29:47 pm
Yep.and you never heard her say that we are not a win at all cost program. we have never been a win at all cost program.Frank Broyles ran a clean program.

Bu wjat is "win" exactly? Win more games than they lose each year? WIn all the games they are favored in? Win the secw? SECCG? Make the CFP? WIn the CFP?

Just what is win?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 24, 2017, 11:18:46 pm
You seem to have the hard on for some strange reason.  I prefer a coach whose teams win championships.  We've seen that great coaches can do great things with the Razorback basketball program.  What's hard to understand is why one would embrace anything less.

So you are for firing a coach that is getting us into the tournament and giving us a chance to possibly win it all?  So you are ok with firing the baseball coach too correct?  He doesn't win sec championships or get us NC games so we should fire him because that is all that matters correct?  If that is the case then we should fire every coach we have except for the track coach.  I just want to make sure you are ok with firing everyone that gives us a chance to win a championship. 

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 11:52:14 pm
Bu wjat is "win" exactly? Win more games than they lose each year? WIn all the games they are favored in? Win the secw? SECCG? Make the CFP? WIn the CFP?

Just what is win?
We have to get back to the levels Nutt and Petrino had us. That's doable. Arkansas being on permanent status with Vanderbilt in football shouldn't be acceptable.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 24, 2017, 11:58:37 pm
We have to get back to the levels Nutt and Petrino had us. That's doable. Arkansas being on permanent status with Vanderbilt in football shouldn't be acceptable.

At least you actually put some sort of parameters on it. So 7-8 wins a year, on average, occasionally jumping up to 9 or 10. Fair enough.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 11:22:14 pm
Now define "win"
CBP last 2 years.we were in the hunt.and if you can be in the hunt most years. one of these years you might just win it.