Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tidbits for enjoying a game at Baum.

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 29, 2010, 01:50:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

April 29, 2010, 01:50:57 am Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:59:37 am by Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter
I often take my family to see the Diamond Hogs play.  I've discovered a couple of things that might make your trip to the stadium more enjoyable.  If you have some tidbits of your own, feel free to post them here.  This is for those taking your family.

1.  Even though it might be a school night, take the kids to a midweek game.  The crowds are a little smaller and it is more of a family atmosphere.  Also, those tickets are free if you go to a Taco Bell and pick them up.

2.  If you have children under the age of 5 the game gets a little long for them to sit through.  But you want to stay for the whole game?  Sit on the first base side.  There is an area there that is for handicapped, wheelchair seating.  Obviously, if there are people of special needs sitting there, don't have your kids running all over them.  But if it is clear, there is quite a large open area there in front of the seats.  There is a railing that keeps them closed in, and safe from any line drive into the stands.  Plus there is a men's and a women's restroom right there.

3.  Do NOT buy the peanuts.  They are stale and must be from last year.  I make the mistake of buying them at every game.  I hope to remember next time.

4.  Don't buy your hog gear at the stadium.  It is stupid expensive.  Instead, get into town early and go to Big Red Warehouse.  Where is this?  Well, if you are coming down 6th street/MLK keep going past the school, go through the stop light that runs right next to the football stadium.  Go through the second light.  When you are coming up on the third light look to your right and you will see it.  The sell officially licensed gear and for much cheaper.  Don't go to their regular store either, the surplus store is cheaper and you can get almost all of the same stuff.  Plus, they give a free gift to any kid that comes in with you.

5.  Do your best to sit on the first base side.  The fans over there are really funny, yet remain family friendly.  Plus Hognoixious will be throwing your kids candy all night and you save money on having to buy cotton candy.

6.  Get there early enough to park on the grass in front of Foghorns.  Face your car away from the stop sign that sits across from center field.  When the game is over, you can get out quickly and get right to the interstate.  Many times the police will be blocking off traffic and you get through the light at MLK very quickly.  This also works for football games, but it is a long walk.

7.  For your own health and taste buds, go into foghorns and order some wings.  They are worth taking back out to your car and eating them with your kids.

I'll try to have some more for the weekend games...well...after this weekend.
Retired Radio Host

TomasPistola

8. If you run into any Belligerent old men - don't harass them or they'll offer to fight you at the Alma Sonic.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Kevin

big red warehouse needs a website for us out of towners
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Kevin on April 29, 2010, 10:38:19 am
big red warehouse needs a website for us out of towners

Yeah, it is just about a mile on down from Big Red.  Same side of the road.  When you can see Walgreen's look to your right and there you will be.

I bought an old school Razorback Jacket for 10 bucks.  Normally that jacket is 60 - 80 bucks.
Bought several tee shirts for my kids for $5. a piece.  It is the place to go.
Retired Radio Host

NeverYield

Thanks UU, this is a big help.  I'm going with my family and my best friends family Friday May 14th for the opening game with South Carolina.  Ought to be a good one.  Once again, thank you sir!
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

TebowHater

Does hognoxious really still throw candy?  I thought he was an usher now? Just curious.

Smithian

Candyman throws candy. Hognoxious is an usher. First base line is where it's at.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Smithian on April 29, 2010, 11:07:44 am
Candyman throws candy. Hognoxious is an usher. First base line is where it's at.

Yes.  That is true.  My bad.  You are correct sir.
Retired Radio Host

fanofthehog

Quote from: TomasPistola on April 29, 2010, 01:59:58 am
8. If you run into any Belligerent old men - don't harass them or they'll offer to fight you at the Alma Sonic.

The Sonic in Alma is where it all goes down.  Not the place to be if you are the non-confrontational type....

TebowHater

Quote from: Smithian on April 29, 2010, 11:07:44 am

Alright, yeah I was just wondering if I was going crazy or something haha.

RazorWire™

I always try to eat 4-5 boiled eggs before I go. I enjoy sharing the experience with my neighbors ...

spudhog

I bring my own peanuts and sunflower seeds. Also, when we sit in the hogpen. I bring my own food/drink. Know everyone else does but, it sure does make a difference when you are there for those 4 hr marathons when you got a coldcut and a dr pepper to perk you up.

If that doesn't work, then just wait for Collin Kuhn to hit a walk off grand slam.

1st base side is the funner side. It's a lot of fun listening to the students and other regulars.

RHS

If you don't have kids, got sit in the outfield.

Also, thanks for the tip on the warehouse.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RHS on April 30, 2010, 11:51:19 pm
If you don't have kids, got sit in the outfield.

Also, thanks for the tip on the warehouse.

Yes, the Hog pen is a great place.
Retired Radio Host