Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok I'll Say It

Started by GoHogzzGo, May 11, 2017, 11:06:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogzzGo

Anyone else a bit concerned we haven't received any other commits?

Not going nuts on it or anything, here is my reasoning. Everyone is trending towards lots of commits prior to the start of season, including us, the last couple years. Additionally I waited to see all the spring game visits and early face to face visits finish. As it appears Bielema's strong suit is closing kids in person on campus or shortly thereafter.

So, not saying the sky is falling, but a bit concerned at not already having a couple more and losing momentum from our initial 4.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 11, 2017, 11:06:53 am

Not going nuts on it or anything, here is my reasoning. Everyone is trending towards lots of commits prior to the start of season, including us, the last couple years. Additionally I waited to see all the spring game visits and early face to face visits finish. As it appears Bielema's strong suit is closing kids in person on campus or shortly thereafter.

So, not saying the sky is falling, but a bit concerned at not already having a couple more and losing momentum from our initial 4.

I hadn't really thought about it until you brought it up but no, not really concerned. Perhaps, we have some silent commits who want to wait for a certain time, place, or event to announce.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 11, 2017, 11:34:41 am
Limited scholarships this year. That's what happens when you have excellent retention rates. Coaches are being very selective, probably bringing in 15 (maybe up to 17) total. They've landed some highly rated guys that were at the top of the board. Some offers are continuing to go out. I've think they've learned that they can't just wait for the big fish at the end and wind up being caught with your pants down on NSD. But there's a system in place and again, they're being selective.

Hopefully that is the answer. I did think about the schollie limit this year, however we have sure put out plenty of offers and hosted plenty of 2018 recruits with commitable offers. Really think we should be at 7 right now if the staff could have their way and we are just a bit off pace.

Ah well, if quality stays anything near what we have done so far we will be ok of course.

LRHawg

Way too early to worry, especially considering our #'s we can bring in this year.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 11, 2017, 11:06:53 am

I actually hadn't even thought about it until you mentioned it. Some years recruiting is slower than others. Nothing is official until the December signing period anyway
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

We'll get some commits in the June/July period. I think they'll expect to be half full by the football season, so that means 3/4 this summer.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2017, 01:14:31 pm
We'll get some commits in the June/July period. I think they'll expect to be half full by the football season, so that means 3/4 this summer.

I'd take 8 of 16ish by August/September. Figured they'd like to go in with 10 or so like last year but I understand the challenge.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 11, 2017, 05:09:08 pm
I'd take 8 of 16ish by August/September. Figured they'd like to go in with 10 or so like last year but I understand the challenge.

10 was out of 25 in the end, I'd be happy with 16......

RazorWhacker

No. It's definitely time to panic.

It's almost the middle of May for crying out loud. There's only ~9 months left until signing day, and NOBODY announces on signing day anymore.

Note to self: a good idea is for me to stay out of the recruiting forum for a few more months. Or, at least, don't open it after drinking. K.

Hoggish1

So, you are not saying the sky's falling but you said it?  Hello?

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 12, 2017, 09:11:12 am
So, you are not saying the sky's falling but you said it?  Hello?

Is anyone saying the sky is falling lol? Not I  8)

I am saying we are behind the curve in getting commits right now. IMHO.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

jgphillips3

The guys on board are great.  I strongly suspect 3 to maybe 5 more solid players will be solidly committed by the end of summer camps.  If our numbers we can't take remain in the 15-17 range, I would suspect we will have 10-12 signed in December while pursuing big fish or late bloomers at the remaining slots.

Hawghiggs

Recruiting has changed a lot over the last few years. Grad transfers are more common. So I would suspect that we would lose a few players and possibly gain a few players.

Richard Davenport

June is full of camp dates so you'll have some get offers while others will be visiting. I suspect June will see several jumping on board.