Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA shuts out #8 South Dakota

Started by fire_hog, September 30, 2006, 06:32:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spe450

Quote from: Arkstfan on October 02, 2006, 12:21:18 am
Quote from: spe450 on October 02, 2006, 12:13:39 am
What's funny is that UCA leads the series 12-8-2.

ASU leads 2-0 since leaving the NAIA and 5-0-1 since the end of WWII.
The rest date back to the era when Arkansas lost to Ouachita Baptist and UAM.
That's what is funny about it.  ASU's biggest win and biggest loss was to UCA.  101-0 ASU one year I believe, then 95-0 UCA the following year.  I just wanted to see how fast a knowledgeable ASU fan would respond.  Didn't play for 50 years.  Played twice in the mid 90's, both of which were close games.  Very fast Arkstfan. :)

spe450

Quote from: Slapatarian on October 01, 2006, 08:49:58 pm
UCA Grad, 92 - 98....Pike

BTW, I believe that UCA has the best head football coach in the state.

Porkatarian
Started at UCA in 98.  Was a sig ep.  Knew and hung out with several Pikes from your time there.

frathog

I've been hearing this UCA ad on the radio, the one where John Thompson is talking about the team.  In it he says that he has been involved with some of D-1's most elite programs, and I was just wondering which ones he was referring to.  I don't mean this in any way, just wondering where he has been

joshUCA

October 02, 2006, 07:26:35 am #53 Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 07:29:56 am by joshUCA
I know that JT has been at Arkansas, Florida, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Eastern Carolina, Southern Miss, Memphis, Louisiana Tech, and Northwestern State.   Read more on page 10 of our media guide: http://www.ucasports.com/pdf/UCA_FB_MG_06.pdf

Arkstfan

It will be interesting to see how Thompson does as AD. These days its not that common for a coach to move over to AD, at least not without some intervening administrative years.

It's going to be interesting to me to see how UCA shifts its recruiting model. ASU in I-AA hit Arkansas, west Tennessee, and north Mississippi like it was home base (but then a lot of our regular student base came from there), secondary was east Texas, north Louisiana, and the Florida panhandle.

One of the biggest problems ASU had in transition to I-A was the adoption of prop 48. That change slashed the number of available recruits coming out of Memphis.

I think UCA has two big options. One is to do more in east Texas and north Louisiana, but that means recruiting head-to-head with conference mates in those states. The other is to go west. There are no I-AA programs in Oklahoma and Kansas but I don't know how much I-AA talent there is there.

doo-ran

Quote from: Kicking Wing on October 01, 2006, 07:34:02 pm
Quote from: Squishy on October 01, 2006, 03:54:39 pm
Quote from: Kicking Wing on October 01, 2006, 03:23:55 pm
Quote from: 98hogs on October 01, 2006, 06:24:19 am
Quote from: Adrenaline_Junkie on October 01, 2006, 04:45:30 am
UCA is whack...........they shouldn't be a D-I team
If ASU is D1 then UCA should be too and the fan turn out.  They have a nice program and do things 1st class.  Lets see ASU play UCa before claiming they need to play the Hogs. UCA will handle ASU.  Former Hogs CEdric Logan and Marc Winston played good yesterday.
Sounds like ASU fans in the mid-80s talking about UA.  I was at the game in Conway yesterday and UCA has some nice skill players and can compete in D1AA, but even diehard UCA fans know that you are just being ridiculous.  USD mived the ball up and down the fiedl all day and even though they are a solid D2 team, it showed that UCA sti9ll has some growing to do.

ASU vs. UCA would NOT be close.  Sorry to my UCA friends, but it just wouldn't.  The size and speed difference is quite noticeable.  It would be better than ASU playing UTM on pure emotion alone, but calling for UCA to beat ASU on the field or in the stands is plain idiotic at this point.  UCA needs to build on what they have and not worry about this crap.

I sure hope they start playing in JB soon though.
I respectfully disagree. I think UCA could hang with ASU any saturday. I would pick UCA. They have A LOT of talent and the defense is great.
I appreciate your disagreement being respectful and I wish I could say the same, but there is NO doubt that ASU would wipe the floor with UCA.  It's the equivalent of saying just because ASU won the Sun Belt and went to their bowl that they would beat UA.  It's ridiculous.  It would be close for about a quarter maybe a quarter and a hlaf and UCA would be worn down by the OL and DL of ASU and it would get ugly.

Sorry, that's just the truth.  Beating lower tier D1A teams and a good D2 team is a good start, but I think you are jumping the gun in your bold prediction.
Had it not been for late game miscues (mistakes by UCA) UCA would have beaten ASU in both 96 and 97. There is no doubt that UCA would spank ASU right now. If I am not mistaken ASU was Division I and UCA was still NAIA.

louisianahawg

Quote from: joshUCA on October 01, 2006, 01:36:36 pm
Quote from: billself4prez on October 01, 2006, 01:14:54 pm
Clint Conque will leave for a better job in the next 3 years so we better have someone on our radar. 
Don't say that!!!
Sorry to say this, but he will get a shot at a big time program.

joshUCA

Quote from: louisianahawg on October 02, 2006, 08:34:02 am
Quote from: joshUCA on October 01, 2006, 01:36:36 pm
Clint Conque will leave for a better job in the next 3 years so we better have someone on our radar. 
Don't say that!!!
Sorry to say this, but he will get a shot at a big time program.
Oh, I have no doubt of that, I just don't want it to happen any time soon!!

Swino

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  UCA has a better athletic director & head football coach that the University of Arkansas

1stwordswerewoopig

You ever notice when the Little Rock news stations talk about UCA's move to Division I this year that they always leave out the "AA."

Let's not get to carried away folks, DI-AA is NOT D-I.

joshUCA

QuoteYou ever notice when the Little Rock news stations talk about UCA's move to Division I this year that they always leave out the "AA."

Let's not get to carried away folks, DI-AA is NOT D-IA.
And thank goodness for that!!! ;)

demonHOG1013

As a former Northwestern State player (Southland Champs in '04) welcome to I-AA,UCA good start so far, beat Stephen F. Austin. I'll pull for em every game except NSU.  Good Luck Bears!

Arkstfan

October 02, 2006, 09:21:17 am #62 Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:25:01 am by Arkstfan
Quote from: dooran on October 02, 2006, 08:27:43 am
Had it not been for late game miscues (mistakes by UCA) UCA would have beaten ASU in both 96 and 97. There is no doubt that UCA would spank ASU right now. If I am not mistaken ASU was Division I and UCA was still NAIA.

ASU was well on its way to hitting total rock bottom when those games were played.
Game 1 was played under John Bobo who was 13-30-1 at ASU in four years. Game 2 was played under Joe Hollis who went 13-43 in five years. His tenure was marked by three losses to I-AA programs.

Steve Roberts inheirited that mess and has gone 22-30, is undefeated against I-AA schools and has yet to have a I-AA team stay within three scores. You are utterly ignorant of what you discuss if you think UCA would spank ASU today.

All we have for comparison is this.
Last season. UCA 34 TN Martin 35. ASU 56 UT Martin 7 (the entire first team offense for ASU left the game after the first series of the second half).

We also have this.
ASU is 2-2. Teams we have beaten are 2-8 against I-A competition teams we have lost to are 4-3 against I-A. Our opponents are 2-0 vs. I-A.

UCA is 4-1. Teams they have beaten are 0-3 vs. I-A, 0-5 vs. I-AA and 8-2 vs. Division II. Team they lost to is: 3-0 vs. I-AA and 0-1 vs. I-A.

If you don't want to look stupid, don't post.

Arkstfan

Quote from: Fresh Legs on October 02, 2006, 09:11:54 am
And the only thing that DI-AA is relevant in is football.  They are Division I in basketball just like everyone else.  I don't think it is some type of push by the media. 

Come December there term I-A will no longer exist. It will be Bowl Subdivision and I-AA will be Championship Subdivision.

Razorback88

As a UCA grad (91-96)  I am loving the fact that we are getting way more attention the asu.  In a short time, we will be the second best school in the state (athletically).  asu has had their chance and now we will take over their position in the eyes of the nation.  Clint Conque will leave for a better job in the next 3 years so we better have someone on our radar. 

1)  You are not getting more attention than ASU other than probably on the UCA campus and this thread.
2)  I do believe eventually UCA will have the better athletics....however, not for many, many years.
3)  The 'eyes of the nation' don't care about ASU or UCA.  At all.
4)  I live in Conway and respect the UCA program;  I'm just not blind.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Kicking Wing on October 01, 2006, 07:34:02 pm
Quote from: Squishy on October 01, 2006, 03:54:39 pm
Quote from: Kicking Wing on October 01, 2006, 03:23:55 pm
Quote from: 98hogs on October 01, 2006, 06:24:19 am
Quote from: Adrenaline_Junkie on October 01, 2006, 04:45:30 am
UCA is whack...........they shouldn't be a D-I team
If ASU is D1 then UCA should be too and the fan turn out.  They have a nice program and do things 1st class.  Lets see ASU play UCa before claiming they need to play the Hogs. UCA will handle ASU.  Former Hogs CEdric Logan and Marc Winston played good yesterday.
Sounds like ASU fans in the mid-80s talking about UA.  I was at the game in Conway yesterday and UCA has some nice skill players and can compete in D1AA, but even diehard UCA fans know that you are just being ridiculous.  USD mived the ball up and down the fiedl all day and even though they are a solid D2 team, it showed that UCA sti9ll has some growing to do.

ASU vs. UCA would NOT be close.  Sorry to my UCA friends, but it just wouldn't.  The size and speed difference is quite noticeable.  It would be better than ASU playing UTM on pure emotion alone, but calling for UCA to beat ASU on the field or in the stands is plain idiotic at this point.  UCA needs to build on what they have and not worry about this crap.

I sure hope they start playing in JB soon though.
I respectfully disagree. I think UCA could hang with ASU any saturday. I would pick UCA. They have A LOT of talent and the defense is great.
I appreciate your disagreement being respectful and I wish I could say the same, but there is NO doubt that ASU would wipe the floor with UCA.  It's the equivalent of saying just because ASU won the Sun Belt and went to their bowl that they would beat UA.  It's ridiculous.  It would be close for about a quarter maybe a quarter and a hlaf and UCA would be worn down by the OL and DL of ASU and it would get ugly.

Sorry, that's just the truth.  Beating lower tier D1A teams and a good D2 team is a good start, but I think you are jumping the gun in your bold prediction.
You just lost any credibility at all.  Talk to an actual knowledgeable UCA fan or anyone that has seen either tema play more than once this year and you will realize how foolish your statement is.

Arkstfan

And you are mistaken. UCA was NCAA Division II competing in the GSC at the time. They were 6-5 the year of the first meeting (ASU went 4-7, 2-7 vs. I-A). The next year UCA went 6-4 and ASU was 2-9 (0-9 vs. I-A).

manofsteelhog

HogasaurusRex

For those of us that live out of state....Had UCA moved to DIV I, or they are moving to DIV I?  The posts are a lil confusing....
I'd like to see the UCA and ASU play.  Ive seen ASU down here against ULM and they are always very physical and seem to have good skill players.

hawgabilly

October 02, 2006, 04:47:58 pm #69 Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:51:50 pm by hawgabilly
Quote from: Pig Newton on October 01, 2006, 09:31:01 pm
UCA Grad..  84-88.. Phi Sig  (frat was eventually evicted from campus)

I was there when Harold Horton led the bears to back to back TIES in the NAIA national championship games...

GO HOGS
GO BEARS!
Who are you???
I'm a UCA GRAD 83-88, Sig Ep society (future AZ chapter)founder and Royal Rooter.