Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA-asu game an issue in the Governors race?

Started by NEAHAWG, May 10, 2006, 09:34:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 02:12:57 pm
Last time we played an Arkansas team was Arkansas-Monticello in 1944

In '44 it should have been  a mismatch as the Marines were all transferred and a few navy just out of high school were the main supply of players. It was Arkansas A&M.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

indianhog

Their "fans" rushing the court was pure comedy.  Wonder how many of them could've named three starters on the team?

You'll get no arguement from me on the stupidity of them rushing the floor, but just to be clear...

Was this more or less comedic than fans of a once storied basketball program, one with a national championship to its credit, rushing the floor to celebrate the victory over a regular season, conference opponent the school faces at least once a year. An opponent that at the time had never won a national championship?

HawgLover08

Quote from: razorback1 on May 10, 2006, 09:58:12 pm
I live in Jonesboro and I can't stand the indians. All they do is talk about how they could beat us and were just scared. It pi$$es me off so much.
I also live in THE INJUN HELL HOLE, Jonesboro. ASWho fans always run their mouths about Arkansas being scared to play ASU. I cannot explain how furious that makes me. There is also license plates that say "How Long Will The Hogs Run?" with that damn indian chasing a hog.

lyon98

May 11, 2006, 02:19:33 pm #153 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:25:00 pm by lyon98
According to the media guide, asu was the last in state team they played. Dec 2, 44, score 41-0. Is the media guide wrong and that is the Arkansas A&M score? They did play that year but the guide doesn't show it. That was the 2004 guide. Must be a misprint as in the records against all teams they show it as a win.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 02:12:57 pm
Last time we played an Arkansas team was Arkansas-Monticello in 1944

Last meeting between Mizzou and Mo St?  Ohio St and Cinci didn't play from 1931 through 1998.  Your premise that we are the only school that has tried to maintain this policy is off.  Frank and the UA has just managed to keep from being forced.

hogfan064

Hogs beat Arkansas-Monticello 41-0, but the previous year they lost 20-12

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 02:24:32 pm
Hogs beat Arkansas-Monticello 41-0, but the previous year they lost 20-12

They lost to the Monticello Navy team and beat Arkansas A&M, says the media guide. . Actually, it was the Naval V-12 unit that had 400 navy people and 400 Marine peope. The football team was 100% Marines. In '43 there were not enough civilian male students to field a team, I doubt that there were 20 in the school. About the same for girls. At one time during the year, '43, they were ranked #8 in the country.

What Is A Veteran?

jvegashawg

Quote from: indianhog on May 11, 2006, 02:17:08 pm
Their "fans" rushing the court was pure comedy.  Wonder how many of them could've named three starters on the team?

You'll get no arguement from me on the stupidity of them rushing the floor, but just to be clear...

Was this more or less comedic than fans of a once storied basketball program, one with a national championship to its credit, rushing the floor to celebrate the victory over a regular season, conference opponent the school faces at least once a year. An opponent that at the time had never won a national championship?

The difference is most of the Arkansas fans who rushed the court actually followed the team (although I thought that was a little much as well).  What was the average attendance for a Lady Indians game that year?  

NEAHAWG

lyon98

May 11, 2006, 03:13:23 pm #159 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 03:47:59 pm by lyon98
A little more about Monticello Navy for those that might be interested. Wayne, "Baldy," Marshall a junior who had been a RB at Arkansas asked some other Marines as they were out playing on a Saturday afternoon if they would like to get a team together, and go up to Fayetteville and scrimmage the University. Lots of girls and not many men. He then called and asked if it were possible, the date was open and Coach Tomlin thought it would be good for the University and his team, as well as giving the Marines a weekend in Fayetteville. On Sunday, they called a meeting of any one that wanted to be a part of it. Peter Paul Palidino, Chuck Lively, and Baldy from UA. Pinky Steed, Charlie Gray, and Wilson Mathews from ArTech, Sid Haliday, all swc end from smu, a couple of aggies, K O Cook, from Henderson, several recent high school grads, one ??? Kramer played DB for the Bears for several years. A lot of others whose names I can't remember. The coach was LT. Commander George Cole, no relation to the UA's Cole that was trainer for the Chicago Bears. He had the Bears playbook and on Monday, they ran plays in tennis shoes, Tues. they got football shoes and ran plays Tues and Wed, Thur they traveled to Fayetteville, Thursday and Friday night, they partied all night, Sat they wore the UA's travel uniforms and beat them.

That same day, Memphis naval air station played Tulane. There wasn't a navy plane available to take them to New Orleans and the Base Commander commandeered a Delta plane. A congressman was to have ridden on it and consequently, on Sunday, the memphis naval air station was history. The base commander was sent to a under water demolition team and led the way to the beach at all future landing.

I said earlier there were 400 naval and 400 Marines at A&M. Wrong there was a total of 400, 200 each. That night, the former base commander called and asked if we were going to have a team and if so he had a bunch of uniforms to sell. The 400 people each put up $10.00 and bought them for $4,000.00 Monticello played Southwest, LA to a 20-20 tie, Alvin Dark was their star, later a Boston Brave's player. Their team was made up of Tulane, LSU, and Rice players. A group of Houston businessmen organized the first Oil Bowl, played in Houston, later the Blue Bonnet or something. Monticello should have stayed home, 20-6. Dark scored all three TDs, I think.

Truthfully, I don't know what hapened to the CO of the Mem. Nas. It sounded interesting tho, didn't. Also, highly possible probable.
What Is A Veteran?

hogshank

Quote from: HawgLover08 on May 11, 2006, 02:19:19 pm
I live in Jonesboro and I can't stand the indians. All they do is talk about how they could beat us and were just scared. It pi$$es me off so much.
I also live in THE INJUN HELL HOLE, Jonesboro. ASWho fans always run their mouths about Arkansas being scared to play ASU. I cannot explain how furious that makes me. There is also license plates that say "How Long Will The Hogs Run?" with that damn indian chasing a hog.

I'm in Jonesboro as well, and from my perspective, it is far from an "Injun Hellhole". Most people I know are Razorback fans, or "fans of both."  Generally, I would say people are apathetic towards ASU. The Chamber of Commerce and ASU have coerced local businesses into putting up ASU decorations in the "Paint the Town Red" campaign, and the Jonesboro Sun covers ASU much more prominently than U of A, but thats why during football season, its hard to find a Demozette left in the dispensers.  Jonesboro, like anywhere else in the state is full of Razorback fans. The hatefulness is spewed by a small minority of their fans. And I havent seen a "how long will the hogs run?" sticker in 15 years.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: lyon98 on May 11, 2006, 11:59:31 am

The Citadel beat SC 7 times. They used to play annually, during the state fair, but either Paul Dietzel stopped that or the move of the state fair from Orangeburg did. They beat some good SC teams.

At one time the Citadel was MAJOR College. They de-emphasized football late in the last century.

hogfan064

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on May 11, 2006, 03:26:55 pm

The Citadel beat SC 7 times. They used to play annually, during the state fair, but either Paul Dietzel stopped that or the move of the state fair from Orangeburg did. They beat some good SC teams.

At one time the Citadel was MAJOR College. They de-emphasized football late in the last century.

It's not really that they deemphasized football.  But just like Army and Navy its tougher to get kids to come to a military school now days.  They still are competing at the 1-AA level in one of the best conferences in 1-AA.  They play lots of ACC and SEC schools.  They also have one of the biggest fanbases and nicest stadiums in 1-AA

lyon98

Back then, they were part of the "old southern conference." It included MD, UNC, NCSU, etc. They got out formed the ACC, most were former members of the old southern conference. There was no D-1 at that time. The Citadel, as William & Mary, Furman, Davidson were part of it, but really were never "major."

The Citadel did have a top 5 boxing team in the 30s and 40s, until boxing was dropped from college sports. They beat TN 8-1 in boxing and the next year played TN in FB. Neyland started his 3rd team and let the 1st and 2nd run plays against each other in the end zones. 38-0, I think it was, it was in 1938, that might be where the 38-0 came from. Teams really didn't run up the scores they do today. Regardless of the GaTech/Cumberland score.

One of The Citadel's better games was against Army at the beginning of WWII. They led 6-0 at the half, Army won in a very close game. One of the stars was "Big Jim" Kennedy from Pine Bluff. He played center and LB. He was tough.
What Is A Veteran?

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 03:57:20 pm

It's not really that they deemphasized football.  But just like Army and Navy its tougher to get kids to come to a military school now days.  They still are competing at the 1-AA level in one of the best conferences in 1-AA.  They play lots of ACC and SEC schools.  They also have one of the biggest fanbases and nicest stadiums in 1-AA

Hogfan, you type faster then I do.
What Is A Veteran?

ThisLittlePiggie

May 11, 2006, 05:24:07 pm #165 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 05:38:02 pm by ThisLittlePiggie

They made no attempt to keep up with the Joneses...therefore they deemphasized football. At one time they were in the Southern Conference with West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Davidson, Furman, George Washington, Richmond, VMI and William and Mary (1-1  all-time against the Hogs). Again, they chose not to compete at the major college level.

Oh, and the Citadel was never a member of the ACC. Some of the old Southern teams withdrew in about 1951 and joined the new ACC a couple of years later. The Citadel chose to stay and gradually deemphasized football.

chiefsfan

QuoteYou can sit there and say the reason why ASUJ won't play UCA is because they don't count as a win, but we all know that is bull.  ASUJ is only bowl eligible once every 35 years, so they have never had enough wins to qualify anyway.  The fact is ASUJ is dodging UCA, and that makes ASUJ nothing more than hypocrites

But for a team that made a bowl game last year, and is considered one of the front runners to do it again this year, why would you play a game against a team when it wont count for Bowl eligibility.  In 2 or 3 years when the Teddy Bears get enough schollies to count towards a bowl game give us a call, and we'll play you in Jonesboro.   If UCA is going to be a 1AA school they need to act like one, and they will be so treated as one.   Id love to play UCA, when it counts.   

and using a game that happened almost 10 years ago in your argument is ridiculous.  That was one of the worst ASU teams in history...

I cant understand this infatuation with UCA athletics.  They just hired a sorry wannabe as their AD, and now all of the sudden they believe they can come in and beat a Division 1 team.  Have fun losing to the likes of Georgia Southern, Missouri State and Sam Houston next year...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogshank on May 11, 2006, 03:24:28 pm

I'm in Jonesboro as well, and from my perspective, it is far from an "Injun Hellhole". Most people I know are Razorback fans, or "fans of both."  Generally, I would say people are apathetic towards ASU. The Chamber of Commerce and ASU have coerced local businesses into putting up ASU decorations in the "Paint the Town Red" campaign, and the Jonesboro Sun covers ASU much more prominently than U of A, but thats why during football season, its hard to find a Demozette left in the dispensers.  Jonesboro, like anywhere else in the state is full of Razorback fans. The hatefulness is spewed by a small minority of their fans. And I havent seen a "how long will the hogs run?" sticker in 15 years.

In some towns in America, they gear up and try to help out and appreciate the place which is responsible for a whole darn lot of the town revenue...   Jonesboro is a town of 70 something thousand right now, Take out the Division 1 University in its center, and see what happens to the town...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hogfan064

Quote from: lyon98 on May 11, 2006, 03:58:55 pm

Back then, they were part of the "old southern conference." It included MD, UNC, NCSU, etc. They got out formed the ACC, most were former members of the old southern conference. There was no D-1 at that time. The Citadel, as William & Mary, Furman, Davidson were part of it, but really were never "major."

The Citadel did have a top 5 boxing team in the 30s and 40s, until boxing was dropped from college sports. They beat TN 8-1 in boxing and the next year played TN in FB. Neyland started his 3rd team and let the 1st and 2nd run plays against each other in the end zones. 38-0, I think it was, it was in 1938, that might be where the 38-0 came from. Teams really didn't run up the scores they do today. Regardless of the GaTech/Cumberland score.

One of The Citadel's better games was against Army at the beginning of WWII. They led 6-0 at the half, Army won in a very close game. One of the stars was "Big Jim" Kennedy from Pine Bluff. He played center and LB. He was tough.

Let's not forget the Bulldogs trip to the CWS in the early 90s and the Southern Conference title in the early 90s also.  The Southern Conference is a tough conference with Georgia Southern, Furman, and App State all winning NCs in the last 20 years.  Its also a great baseball conference that currently is 7th in RPI among 30 conferences and has 2 teams in the top 20 in RPI(ELon and CofC)   The Citadel is also has produced some good coaches like Ralph Friedgen and Bobby Ross.  Charlie Taffe had the program going in the right direction in the early 90s, but I believe some drinking problems got him fired.   Charlie certainly gave Arkansas and USC enough worries. 

pigfoot

Usually when there is talk of scheduling ASU, the word is, "Why should we? We have everything to lose and nothing to gain."  The same could be said about playing ULM, Missouri State, or New Mexico State.  I say, "Bring 'em on.  Let's settle the issue."
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

lyon98

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on May 11, 2006, 05:24:07 pm

They made no attempt to keep up with the Joneses...therefore they deemphasized football. At one time they were in the Southern Conference with West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Davidson, Furman, George Washington, Richmond, VMI and William and Mary (1-1  all-time against the Hogs). Again, they chose not to compete at the major college level.

Oh, and the Citadel was never a member of the ACC. Some of the old Southern teams withdrew in about 1951 and joined the new ACC a couple of years later. The Citadel chose to stay and gradually deemphasized football.

It doesn't it say The Citadel. Crap, any one knows who has been in the ACC. I doubt that all know most of the acc used to be in a conference with The Citadel.The Citadel never demphasized football and stayed in the Southern Conference. Their budget is like every one else's bigger, the ncaa started D-1 and D-1A schools and set the number of scholarships. Next thing is you will probably sat Arkansas has deemphasized football. Same reasoning, they haven't kept up with the Joneses, bama, auburn, lsu and Florida. I can remember when they were always in the top 10. Been a long time tho.
What Is A Veteran?

fatman423

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 01:48:55 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on May 11, 2006, 01:47:57 pm
UA vs ASU =  Nebraska vs Creighton

Creighton isn't a Division 1 school.  So that's not true
I'm not really sure that Jonesboro is either.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogapalooza on May 11, 2006, 11:47:28 pm
A.S.U.......   Arkansas SECOND  Univeristy!

SMITE THIS!

I was thinking Arkansas' Sixth University behind Arkansas, UAPB, UCA, Arkansas-Monticello, and UAFS,

NEAHAWG

If there is ever any reason to play asu, I will be willing to play.
If there is ever any thing in it for the Razorbacks, I will be willing to play.
Untill then I plan to continue to oppose any thoughts of putting ourselves in the nowin situation.  I will point out the uselesness of playing asu anytime I see it posted.  All you have to do is read their board to know why.

hogshank

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 11, 2006, 05:39:25 pm
Quote from: hogshank on May 11, 2006, 03:24:28 pm

In some towns in America, they gear up and try to help out and appreciate the place which is responsible for a whole darn lot of the town revenue...   Jonesboro is a town of 70 something thousand right now, Take out the Division 1 University in its center, and see what happens to the town...

Thank you for that informative exposition. As you pointed out, in some towns in America they do gear up and try to help out the local university. In other towns, they dont have to because the university does just fine without coercing local business owners into painting the windows of their places of business the colors of the local university. ( For reference please see Fayetteville, AR). That was my only point. And I'm glad ASU is in Jonesboro so dont put words in mouth.

NEastArkie

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you take ASU out of Jonesboro, it leaves a giant hole. However, taking away the Div 1 status from ASU would have almost zero impact on Jonesboro.  The number of people who come from out of town to watch games & spend the night is almost nil.  In fact, attendance at ASU football is not much, if any, better now than it was when ASU was 1AA.  It's probably worse in relation to the population growth of the city & county.

NEastArkie

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 10, 2006, 11:25:26 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on May 10, 2006, 10:59:55 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on May 10, 2006, 10:59:08 pm
ASU actually plays Memphis really well many years and have played Ole Miss tough more than a few times.   Closer than ULM plays us.  Its sad for them that they can't build teams like they had in the 80s under Lacewell. 
Have they ever beaten them ?

Yes

It was in 1914 or something like that.  I'm almost positive ASU has never beaten any team from a BCS conference other than that 1914 win against Ole Miss.

NEastArkie

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 10, 2006, 11:58:30 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on May 10, 2006, 11:46:38 pm

I don't know how many times I have to explain this. I'm not a reporter for Hogville. I post here just like you do. I have my opinions just like you. I don't need to do a ton of research to believe that Arkansas would not lose to ASU probably more than once in a generation. However I do believe if I wanted to spend the time comparing common opponents the conclusion would be that in most years the Indians would not stand a snowball's chance against Arkansas or any other SEC school.

I dont know about that.  ASU should have beat Ole Miss 2 years ago, and probably could give MissStake a good game right now.  The same goes for Kentucky and Vandy.   I remind you, that Vandy, despite their great season last year, still lost to Sun Belt middle of the pack Middle Tennessee State

No. You shouldn't have beaten Ole Miss.  You had an opportunity to beat them late in the game.  That happens about 1 out of 5 times when you play Ole Miss.  There's a vast difference between having an opportunity to win and "should've won".  If you "should've won" you almost certainly would've won.  Ole Miss was up 2 TD's with 4 mins to go & figured the game was in the bag.  ASU scored late to go down by 7, got the ball back with about a minute to go and could do nothing.  That's not a great brag when the Ole Miss team you played was one of its worst in recent memory.

hogfan064

Quote from: NEastArkie on May 12, 2006, 08:35:03 am
ASU actually plays Memphis really well many years and have played Ole Miss tough more than a few times.   Closer than ULM plays us.  Its sad for them that they can't build teams like they had in the 80s under Lacewell. 

Yes

It was in 1914 or something like that.  I'm almost positive ASU has never beaten any team from a BCS conference other than that 1914 win against Ole Miss.

If you look, earlier in this topic I posted ASU's alltime record against D-1 and BCS conferences.  I believe its on page 2

NEastArkie

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 12, 2006, 08:55:59 am

Yes

If you look, earlier in this topic I posted ASU's alltime record against D-1 and BCS conferences.  I believe its on page 2

Thanks. I missed that.  Good research.  Their record is even worse than I realized. For all practical purposes they have 0 wins against major competition.  The 1915 win against Ole Miss hardly counts & Cincy was terrible until just the last few years when they've become reasonably decent.

hogfan064

Quote from: NEastArkie on May 12, 2006, 09:28:08 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 12, 2006, 08:55:59 am

Yes

Thanks. I missed that.  Good research.  Their record is even worse than I realized. For all practical purposes they have 0 wins against major competition.  The 1915 win against Ole Miss hardly counts & Cincy was terrible until just the last few years when they've become reasonably decent.

Yeah the Cincy win was when they were an independent. Technically they've never beaten a BCS school ever.  I'm bored at work and its slow so I think I'll do some more fun research like that today

NEastArkie

Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 11, 2006, 10:31:55 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 10:15:35 am
Quote from: codeHog on May 11, 2006, 10:05:51 am
Any Hog fan that is too dang dumb to realize that playing asu would be bad for the UofA, needs to take long look in the mirror because they don't really love the HOGS

Ok I love the HOGS, but I still want to play them.  Please explain to me how playing ASU is bad for the program.

Florida plays UCF
Tennessee plays Memphis
South Carolina plays Citadel, Furman, and Wofford
WVU plays Marshall
LSU plays Tulane and ULM
Oklahoma is playing AT Tulsa

You are obviously one of the more mature and wise people on this board.  This shouldn't be a big deal.  All the schools should schedule each other when possible and just get over it.  The world will not end and I promise you that it is not going to elevate or diminish anyone's standing to play a few games.

I for one cannot wait until UCA gets their scholarships up so we can trash them instead of UTM. :)

What a self-righteous bunch of BS.  There is nothing "mature or wise" about either position on this issue. It's in the UA's best interest to continue its policy & it's in ASU's best interest to schedule a game.  Just because there are some UA fans who don't agree with that view hardly makes them "mature or wise".  It simply happens to be in accord with your view as an ASU fan. The fact that you want us to ASU hardly lifts you to some morally superior position.  And given all the different handles you use on different boards to spew the same crap suggests you're the one who is immature.

NEastArkie

May 13, 2006, 06:28:54 pm #183 Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 06:39:57 pm by NEastArkie
Quote from: indianhog on May 11, 2006, 01:15:09 pm
Quote from: lyon98 on May 11, 2006, 01:12:32 pm
Quote from: indianhog on May 11, 2006, 01:05:48 pm

P.S. As somebody that saw both teams play last year on mutliple occasions, the talent levels on the field were much closer than people would like to admit.

Even tho I didn't see  asu play, I will take exception to this. However, if you had said coaching talent, who would disaagree?

I'm not for a second saying ASU/UA were equal in talent, especially depth, but they were a lot closer than I would have expected. I'm not saying ASU would have won. Far from it. I'm just saying the talent was much closer than I would have expected. Coaching at ASU is top-notch as well and that probably made the talent look better than it was just as questionable coaching can make good players look worse than they are.

If the talent were very close, it would show up on the scoreboard against comparable opponents.  Yeah we got blown out by So Cal, but otherwise all our losses were quite close to teams that would've easily blown ASU away.  Our wins were all blowouts against teams that would've likely beaten ASU. ULM did just that.  ASU got blown out by Army & Mizzou.  Their margin of loss in almost every loss was large. Their wins were squeakers against the likes of ULL & UNT. 

While comparing scores against only 1 common opponent might be misleading, a whole season of scores provides good comparisons.  As Mike Irwin said, we've NEVER lost to a Sunbelt team & ASU has NEVER beaten a BCS conf team (except for the 1915 game against OM.)  That kind of history is pretty darned instructive even if it does include games from 20+ years ago.  After all, it also includes the last 3-4 years.

Nah, the talent level isn't very close.  One or two ASU players might be SEC level, but that's about it.

rlamb

What candidate or Governor would want to get in the middle of something
like this as I feel a good 50% of the people even in Jonesboro are admitted Hog
fans and another 30 or so % are closet Hog fans. 

NEAHAWG

AG Beebe posts on TG and seems to be of like mind with most of the posters there.  As my mom said, you can tell a lot about a person by the company he keeps.

RedSatinHog

One of the hosts on ESPN talk radio this past Friday morning was talking about "true rivalries" in sports.  Of course, the one which was first and foremost was the Yankees versus the Red Sox, but one of the key requirements for any rivalry to truly fit the bill was for nearly all fans from both sides to pretty much say that the other was their most hated rival.  It also must be somewhat evenly contested over time.

It got me to thinking.  Like it or not, Arkansas has no true rival.  It's not Texas, mainly because UT fans will all tell you that A&M is their no. 1 rival, followed by OU.  It's not LSU.  Too one-sided to fit that billing, plus LSU fans could care less about the UA game.  Alabama?  Nope, their most hated opponent is Auburn.  Ole Miss?  Their most hated rival is MSU.

To that end, an annual clash with ASU would make sense.  I can certainly understand why the UA doesn't want it to happen (busting up fan support in the state, nothing to gain from playing the game, etc.), but an annual clash in War Memorial Stadium would be a pretty neat event.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

g.lynn

You've got to be kiddin'.  The Hogs vs Indians in War Memorial?  NO, not anytime soon.  Since the great stadium debate, ASU has had the opportunity to build their fan base by playing 3 or 4 of their home games in LR.  They haven't.  Why?  Fans?  $?  Or both?  The opportunity is still there.  Who do the Hogs play in LR this year?  La-Monroe and LSU.  Wow!  The opportunity is still there for ASU.  Until they can draw 40,000+ when playing La-Monroe or USM in LR, please don't mention this again.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

Born

Now.. if any candidate chooses to endorse this game, he will lose my vote.  Not because of Ark playign ASU, but because there are things a helluva lot more important that need addressing than the schedules of sports teams in the state.

Next..  bear with me while I do discuss this purposted game.

a.  Keep the money in-state : Everytime anyone says this, ask what money?  They are talking about the game guarantees the Razorbacks pay visiting teams.  My comment in response is.. it appears ASU wants to use Razorback money to fund their program.   After all, it is keeping the money in-state to help another state school, right?

b. It would be fun to watch :  Only for about 10 minutes before kickoff.  Then Arkansas would literally pummell ASU into oblivion.   There is a parallel for this, right in Jonesboro.

For years Nettleton High School in Jonesboro asked for Jonesboro High School to schedule them in football.  Jonesboro is 5-A, Nettleton is borderline 3-A/4-A.  Finally, in 1999 and 2000, they played a 2 game set.  It wasn't even close. Jonesboro won both games by an appx average score of 40-7.  All the fancy "The Rivalry Begins" tee-shirts that people were selling became an overstocked item after Nettleton decided to cancel the extension option on the 2-yr contract.  Nettleton could not compete with Jonesboro, regardless of how many Nettleton egos wanted the game.

c.  Fans can support both teams  :  I am glad ASU went to a bowl.  Good for them.  I even watched a bit of it.  However,  if it came down to supporting one or the other.. I am whole Hog all the way.

d.  It is only a minor few hard-case fans who have such hatred :  bull, pure and simple.   Talk to the construction workers who just finished up the new student union at ASU, and how they received more than one lecture from ASU administration about not wearing anything Razorback while the contruction work was going on.   Talk to students who received a lower grade on a test because they work a Razorback tee-shirt to class that day, and had the professor tell them about it.  Ask the ASU student who flew the state flag up-side down around the court, after the Lady Indians beat the Ladybacks.  Ask about the ASU boosters pissing on a Hog hat on-camera, with one of said boosters being on the selection committie for the Independence Bowl.

No other way to put it.  ASU has a hatred-envy complex for the University of Arkansas.  They hate anything related to the Razorbacks, but would sell their souls in a hearetbeat if they could switch places with the Razorbacks right now.

e.  They are growing as a Div 1-A sports team :  No they are not.  There were tenured professors on-campus, quite good ones, who had not had a raise in 5-10 yrs due to ASU's sinking money into the pit that is their Div 1 football program.  Notice I said were.  The good ones got better positions elsewhere.  Whats left are the wanna bee professors and those with golden handcuffs who can't afford to go elsewhere.

I do live in Jonesboro, and have dealt with the complete range of ASU fans.  Jonesboro is better than 70% Razorback, but the hardcore ASU fans doth protest too much.  If frank Broyles would die in the next day, there would be a celebration among the ASU faithfull that would approach biblical.  They blame Broyles for the fix they are in, convinced he is the root of all their failings as a Div 1 sports enterpirse.

This game does NOT need to happen, period.

T-Bag Hawg

My only ? is why play some directional Louisiana or Missouri school, or Utah Tech, when you can beat up on someone in your own state?  One good a$$ whipping and all 7 ASU fans will never talk of playing UA again.  I'm an ASU alum
and I approve of this message.
It's a pill, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!  You just don't get it!

An old hog fanatic

Mike Beebe has been a personal friend of mine for many years.  He's not only an excellent politician but also fine attorney.  While it is true he did graduate from ASU and at one time sat on their Board of Trustees, he is also a graduate of the UA Law School.  I cannot believe Mike would EVER publically endorse a game between the two schools.  His political skills are much sharper than that!
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

4thdownnutt

no one cares about uajunior--they have no fans and no money

RedSatinHog

Quote from: g.lynn on May 14, 2006, 11:41:28 am
You’ve got to be kiddin’.  The Hogs vs Indians in War Memorial?  NO, not anytime soon.  Since the great stadium debate, ASU has had the opportunity to build their fan base by playing 3 or 4 of their home games in LR.  They haven’t.  Why?  Fans?  $?  Or both?  The opportunity is still there.  Who do the Hogs play in LR this year?  La-Monroe and LSU.  Wow!  The opportunity is still there for ASU.  Until they can draw 40,000+ when playing La-Monroe or USM in LR, please don’t mention this again.

Since by your own admission ASU obviously has no fan base and even less of a chance of winning such a matchup, what would the Hogs have to lose at that point?  One less reason to keep Nutt on board as coach in the odd chance that ASU pulls an upset?

Don't get me wrong, I don't for one minute believe the Tribe has an ice cube's chance in Hades of winning such a game, but it would go a long way toward shutting the ASU crowd up once and for all.

Besides all that, where would YOU propose we play such a game?  At UCA?  Certainly not in Jonesboro, as that place would not even seat a top-notch high school clash.

4thdownnutt

Ok since you asked --  five game series all in Fay.  all money goes to UA since assu just wants a game, Hogs cannot pull its first string, assu would play uca before and uapb after our game if assu can't  win one of the five they don't play again for 50 years. Anything I left out? how about they drop down to  where they belong to 1aa  after losing by 60 each game?

Macgyver Hawg

I agree with Born.  Making this a political issue is really stupid with all they could be focusing on.

This is a rivalry no one cares about except a few ASU fans.  Some say Texas fans could say the same thing about us but what other games do you see a president flying in for along with Billy Graham and John Wayne?  Texas and Arkansas are known for being a rivalry all over the nation.

Adding Arkansas State to the schedule would go over about as well as cousin Oliver did for the Brady Bunch.

NEAHAWG

Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on May 14, 2006, 02:40:17 pm
Mike Beebe has been a personal friend of mine for many years.  He's not only an excellent politician but also fine attorney.  While it is true he did graduate from ASU and at one time sat on their Board of Trustees, he is also a graduate of the UA Law School.  I cannot believe Mike would EVER publically endorse a game between the two schools.  His political skills are much sharper than that!
He will not publically endorse a game, but he does support it.  His posts on TG seem to be in agreement with that boards' thoughts.  There are ways to go about forcing a game without him publicly endorsing it.  Some Senator/Representative wants some state money for something in his district, the Governor can tell him he needs a favor, Introduce a bill for a game to be played between UA-asu in Little Rock with a surcharge of $20 a ticket going to "a good cause" and give asu the same payday they give ULM + say $100,000  out of the surcharge and Hogs keep the rest.  When the press asks the Governor about it, He says "That's Senator/Representative Rackley's bill and we will have to see if it passes.  His legacy among the Injun fans would be bigger than Elvis Presley among Elvis fans.  It could happen in the second term.  I would love to vote for Beebe but untill I am 100% positive that he will not support any legislation to force a game ie; his promise to VETO any bills forcing such a game, then I will be forced to vote for someone else.  After all he is the one who elected to post on that board.

pigture perfect

If there is nothing to fear, just play the game and it would be a dead issue for about 20 years.

It is stupid to make this a political issue.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

codeHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 10:15:35 am
Quote from: codeHog on May 11, 2006, 10:05:51 am
Any Hog fan that is too dang dumb to realize that playing asu would be bad for the UofA, needs to take long look in the mirror because they don't really love the HOGS

Ok I love the HOGS, but I still want to play them.  Please explain to me how playing ASU is bad for the program.

Florida plays UCF
Tennessee plays Memphis
South Carolina plays Citadel, Furman, and Wofford
WVU plays Marshall
LSU plays Tulane and ULM
Oklahoma is playing AT Tulsa

Tooo stupid of a post to even answer. I have not read any post after yours, but maybe somebody told you why you are wrong.

I repeat, you do NOT LOVE the Hogs if you want them to play asu. Period.

Now, do you like the Hogs, could be. Do you like sports, probably do.

BUT, do you love the Hogs enough to want the best for them......Not if you would wish that game on them.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on May 14, 2006, 09:39:27 pm
Ok since you asked --  five game series all in Fay.  all money goes to UA since assu just wants a game, Hogs cannot pull its first string, assu would play uca before and uapb after our game if assu can't  win one of the five they don't play again for 50 years. Anything I left out? how about they drop down to  where they belong to 1aa  after losing by 60 each game?

That has to be the most illegitimate response I have read on this site yet.  You totally ignored the first 2 questions I asked and jumped to the question you wanted to answer, then made a mockery of yourself in the process. 

The Hogs don't get that arrangement with any other patsy they schedule.  Why should ASU be any different?  Because you look down your nose at them?  Surely you can do better than that.

NEastArkie

I could tell you several reasons why we should treat ASU differently, but I'll just mention a few.  One.  You treat them differently because unlike any other patsy they crave the game.  If you've got something to sell to any willing buyer but one buyer is desperate to get it, you take advantage of his desperation & charge a high price.  It's called the free market.  Two.  Unlike any other patsy on the schedule, the UA has a lot more to risk by playing ASU.  That's true whether we win by a huge margin & create some sympathy for "little brother", win by a close margin & give them credibility for fund-raising, recruiting, etc, or lose & create even more problems.  In other words, our potential cost for a game with ASU is high so that provides more reason to "charge" more for a game.  Again, it's the free market at work.

Finally, there is simply freedom of contract.  In this country people generally get to do business with who they want to enter into a contract with--especially if it's better business to do it with one person over another.  Even if for some reason the UA is wrong in its assessment of what is best for it--it isn't-- the UA should have the right to be wrong.