Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU on ESPN2, And...

Started by jikhead, November 02, 2010, 08:39:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

booogaga

has asu ever completely filled that stadium before?
GO HOGS!

nwarazfan

November 03, 2010, 10:39:02 am #51 Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:02:33 am by nwarazfan
Quote from: booogaga on November 03, 2010, 10:29:39 am
has asu ever completely filled that stadium before?

I believe once vs Memphis.  They have been close vs UCA.  I think they had 25,000+ when they hosted Ole Miss.  Also 25,000+ vs Louisville this season.

Seminole Indian

November 03, 2010, 10:57:14 am #52 Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:19:28 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: elksnort on November 03, 2010, 09:33:41 am
I did my part. I took my two girls out to the game and we stayed until the 1st quarter was over. Neither of us dressed appropriately enough. Wet and cold don't mix. On top of the fact that I contacted a 24 hour flu before the game even started. But this is my personal stuff that really does not even need to be mentioned.

ASU just can't get a break in their luck. It has been dry and unseasonably warm all fall then, yesterday with cold and rain. The 33k seat stadium has rarely been packed. ASU and NEA just does not have a great football culture. They are trying to get Divison 1 crowd turnout with I-AA culture. ASU did play great 1-AA ball in the 1980s and smaller college ball in the 1970s.

Regardless, I pull for any team that has "Arkansas" in the name as one of the other posters mentioned. I have always been a Razorback fan first and I seriously doubt this will ever change. I think it's nice to see Razorback fans appreciate ASU also and visa versa. The problem is the core of one's who hate one another. Why?

Anyway, Hugh Freeze's offense looks pretty darn good and ASU, notwithstanding the record, is putting a good team on the field. Now maybe they'll make a bowl game.

Hat's off to you other Razorback fans that love your state and appreciate what the little brother is doing.
To bad you did not go to the first two games because ASU does in fact have a nice game day atmosphere and good crowds. Lots working against them last night not the least of which is the fact that that should have been their 6th win this season because Troy and Indiana should not have pulled those games out. . That is something Razorback fans probably do not know but ASU fans do and it irks them.

Still what is true is that ASU is a team that has some talent and are fun to watch. Every game they have played this year has been fun to watch, even Auburn.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Razorback88

Quote from: razorback3072 on November 03, 2010, 08:26:49 am
First of all, there are no "rain delays" in football.  They were lightning delays.  Second, midweek or not, to only have 13k there for a nationally televised game is pathetic.  Most high schools in the state turn out more than that, regardless of weather.  

There's plenty of things to criticize ASU about without making things up.  Honestly, we probably would have had a half-full stadium last night under the same conditions too.  Would you have gone to watch on a rainy mid-week election night against Middle Tennessee State when the game's on TV?

They're a program on the rise who is still well below the Hogs in both talent and support.  No need to be a hater.

NeverYield

Quote from: batman15 on November 03, 2010, 09:54:37 am
Dear lord who is that in your avi?
She doesn't look familiar?  Jenna Jameson  :P
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

Moe

Coach Roberts has done a wonderful job rebuilding this program and if he's left alone, I believe the Sun Belt will have a new powerhouse and the fan support will build. It's a tough crowd in Jonesboro. Years past ASU could start out with a few big wins and very close road loss in money games and the atmosphere was amazing, lose one game and the crowd drops considerably. Hats off to them. I hope they continue to improve. It was a fun game to watch. There were some huge hits in that game.   

NeverYield

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 03, 2010, 10:57:14 am
To bad you did not go to the first two games because ASU does in fact have a nice game day atmosphere and good crowds. Lots working against them last night not the least of which is the fact that that should have been their 6th win this season. That is something Razorback fans probably do not know but ASU fans do and it irks them.

Still what is true is that ASU is a team that has some talent and are fun to watch. Every game they have played this year has been fun to watch, even Auburn.
Very true.  ASU's gameday atmosphere is getting better and better.  Also, your right about ASU being fun to watch, even if they are down by 21 in the 3rd or 4th you have to keep watching because they still have a chance to win with their offense.  They could easily be 8-1 right now instead of 4-5.  I know that sounds crazy but it's true.

DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
Sat, Sept 4 @#22 Auburn                L52-26 0-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 11 @Louisiana-Lafayette    L31-24 0-2 (0-1)
Sat, Sept 18 vsLouisiana-Monroe      W34-20 1-2 (1-1)
Sat, Sept 25 @Troy                        L35-28 1-3 (1-2)
Sat, Oct 2 vsLouisville                     L34-24 1-4 (1-2)
Sat, Oct 9 @North Texas                W24-19 2-4 (2-2)
Sat, Oct 16 @Indiana                     L36-34 2-5 (2-2)
Sat, Oct 23 vsFlorida Atlantic           W37-16 3-5 (3-2)
Tue, Nov 2 vsMiddle Tennessee        W51-24 4-5 (4-2)
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

razorback3072

November 03, 2010, 11:26:54 am #57 Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:33:02 am by razorback3072
Quote from: Razorback88 on November 03, 2010, 10:59:20 am
There's plenty of things to criticize ASU about without making things up.  Honestly, we probably would have had a half-full stadium last night under the same conditions too.  Would you have gone to watch on a rainy mid-week election night against Middle Tennessee State when the game's on TV?

They're a program on the rise who is still well below the Hogs in both talent and support.  No need to be a hater.

One little sentence meant as an obvious exaggeration(apparently not so obvious to some) gets people in a tizzy.  No I wouldn't have gone to watch ASU in the the middle of the week but I would have gone to watch the Hogs(and do) regardless of the day, opponent or weather.

I remember a few times that Bud Walton was just about full during a weeknight game when there was snow on the ground.   

ASU fans have run their mouths off for years and want to be taken seriously as a program, yet they can't get half the stadium filled.

Their average attendance last year was 17,689 in a 30,964 seat stadium.  that's 57% capacity.  AR's average attendance in Fay last year was 68,915 in a 72,000 seat stadium.  That's 95.7% capacity.  
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Seminole Indian

Quote from: NeverYield on November 03, 2010, 11:13:49 am
Very true.  ASU's gameday atmosphere is getting better and better.  Also, your right about ASU being fun to watch, even if they are down by 21 in the 3rd or 4th you have to keep watching because they still have a chance to win with their offense.  They could easily be 8-1 right now instead of 4-5.  I know that sounds crazy but it's true.

DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
Sat, Sept 4 @#22 Auburn                L52-26 0-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 11 @Louisiana-Lafayette    L31-24 0-2 (0-1)
Sat, Sept 18 vsLouisiana-Monroe      W34-20 1-2 (1-1)
Sat, Sept 25 @Troy                        L35-28 1-3 (1-2)
Sat, Oct 2 vsLouisville                     L34-24 1-4 (1-2)
Sat, Oct 9 @North Texas                W24-19 2-4 (2-2)
Sat, Oct 16 @Indiana                     L36-34 2-5 (2-2)
Sat, Oct 23 vsFlorida Atlantic           W37-16 3-5 (3-2)
Tue, Nov 2 vsMiddle Tennessee        W51-24 4-5 (4-2)
If their defense continues to improve, and they have talent on that side of the ball, they could win out this year. They "ain't scared" and will hit you. Navy should be a good game and fun to watch plus  it is on TV.

Next years schedule is also a little better and these Sophomores will be Juniors. If they can keep Coach Freeze, they look to have a good shot at 7-8 wins next year. They have some very good young talent coming up.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Razorback88

Quote from: razorback3072 on November 03, 2010, 11:26:54 am
One little sentence meant as an obvious exaggeration(apparently not so obvious to some) gets people in a tizzy.  No I wouldn't have gone to watch ASU in the the middle of the week but I would have gone to watch the Hogs(and do) regardless of the day, opponent or weather.

I remember a few times that Bud Walton was just about full during a weeknight game when there was snow on the ground.   

ASU fans have run their mouths off for years and want to be taken seriously as a program, yet they can't get half the stadium filled.

Their average attendance last year was 17,689 in a 30,964 seat stadium.  that's 57% capacity.  AR's average attendance in Fay last year was 68,915 in a 72,000 seat stadium.  That's 95.7% capacity.  

I'm not trying to compare the two at all, and nobody with much objectivity does.  The Hogs have 50 times the support of ASU.  I'm just saying it's unfair to judge the fanbase on the conditions of last night.

razorback3072

Quote from: Razorback88 on November 03, 2010, 12:02:11 pm
I'm not trying to compare the two at all, and nobody with much objectivity does.  The Hogs have 50 times the support of ASU.  I'm just saying it's unfair to judge the fanbase on the conditions of last night.

And the information I posted wasn't just about last night either.  they brag about the support for their school yet they only managed 57% capacity last year.  That's not showing the support they claim.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

oldbear

Quote from: hawgndodge on November 03, 2010, 09:11:32 am
this is not even close to true.  down here in Nashville where state titles and deep playoff runs are the norm we don't pull in that many. maybe 10-12k if it is a state semifinal game against a PA or CAC or Shiloh, which doesn't look like will be happening this year.

I seriously doubt 90% of the high school stadiums in Arkansas will hold 10k with people standing.  To say that most high schools in the state average over ten thousand is ludicrous.  I tried to find some high school attendance information on the AAA web site and just couldn't find anything.  It sounds like you may go to a lot of high school games also.  The only games in Arkansas that I am aware of that have more than 10k are the state championships and the Benton/Bryant game.  The record for Arkansas, I believe, is Benton/Bryant with about 25k. 

I think you can safely say that few schools in Arkansas average even 5k.  It would certainly be fewer than 10 schools that do.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: razorback3072 on November 03, 2010, 12:05:17 pm
And the information I posted wasn't just about last night either.  they brag about the support for their school yet they only managed 57% capacity last year.  That's not showing the support they claim.
All I can say is I'm glad the focus of the criticism is on things off the field and not on the field. Was not that long ago ASU was bad in both and last night really does not reflect the support ASU has. Believe it or not the election was probably as important as the weather in keeping the crowed down.

Other than giving up a couple of big plays because of mental mistakes to Indiana and Troy they would be 6-3 and just glad that almost everyone that watched the game knows ASU is a decent team. ESPN did a good job of pointing that out to a nation-wide TV audience. Glad ASU did its part.

ark30inf

Let's face it, there are a few royal jerks in both fan bases who have a mental condition in regard to the other university.  They all do a disservice to their fellow Arkansans and Arkansas kids.  They harm their state by wishing ill and doing nothing but searching for negatives.  They both hurt their own programs by denigrating most of their own fans who support both.  They do nothing but create more haters of their own program.

I've been around long enough to know that the few royal jerks in both fan bases enjoy it too much to ever stop. I just refuse to be goaded into thinking it is a zero sum game because of their obsession.

Aston Martin 8 dude

I'm sure I'll get smited for the following remarks; however, here goes:
I love football as much as the next guy or gal (I played even into college); however, to broadcast on a Tuesday night is IMO ridiculous! Okay, Thursdays make more sense being closer to the weekend, but when will be b.s. stop? Thanks primarily to ESPN we could have a game every day during the week and no doubt they'd try to come up with an 8th day to squeeze in more games.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Aston Martin 8 dude on November 03, 2010, 12:23:01 pm
I'm sure I'll get smited for the following remarks; however, here goes:
I love football as much as the next guy or gal (I played even into college); however, to broadcast on a Tuesday night is IMO ridiculous! Okay, Thursdays make more sense being closer to the weekend, but when will be b.s. stop? Thanks primarily to ESPN we could have a game every day during the week and no doubt they'd try to come up with an 8th day to squeeze in more games.

Boise plays on Tuesday and Friday nights.  It is small time and I agree it is a little much. 

Bama Hog™

If it looks like a High School game and smells like a High School game, probably a Sunbelt game.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Jborohog09

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 03, 2010, 10:39:02 am
I believe once vs Memphis.  They have been close vs UCA.  I think they had 25,000+ when they hosted Ole Miss.  Also 25,000+ vs Louisville this season.

We'll prolly have sell out's next year when we play both of them again.  Very exicted for next season, but I'm still excited about this season too, still have a shot at the SBC title (albeit a slim one) and still have a chance to go to a bowl.  Hope this performance will help with the attendance for the WKU game.

SwineFlew

Personal feelings about ASU aside, anyone who watched any of that game must admit:  ASU plays hard and they have a head-knocking defense.  There were some vicious hits.

Kicking Wing

November 03, 2010, 03:12:49 pm #69 Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:20:37 pm by Kicking Wing
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2010, 01:28:40 am
Some businesses do a good job but not "most".
I've been to a lot of games at schools the size and level of ASU and none of them came anywhere close to the level of support that you see from businesses in Jonesboro.  Not even remotely close.  Ten years ago it was pathetic but you can;t walk around a store or public place in town now without seeing more Red Wolves gear.  Way more.  Most of it is finally having decent apparel options and appealing logos for a change.  Part of it is that people finally started tailgating and buying into the gameday experience in town (at least until November) and having John Brady has provided a boost as well.

You still have a lot of support for the hogs and there is a lot of dual support as there should be.  The hogs are still the #1 team in the state by a longshot but in NEA people have finally started supporting the local team as well.

It was a miserable night to sit in the stands but a good showing on the field.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 03, 2010, 12:26:15 pm
Boise plays on Tuesday and Friday nights.  It is small time and I agree it is a little much. 
SEC teams, including Arkansas, play on Thursday nights.  I don't see the problem.  I love watching football and you don't pass up national TV.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Razorback88 on November 03, 2010, 12:02:11 pm
It's unfair to compare them, period.  One plays in the richest and best conference and the other is a mid major in the newest conference inall of D1.  I don't know why people feel compelled to compare apples and oranges.  Just because some people think they should play doesn't mean they are suggesting the schools play on the same level or have the same level of support.

25K is not anything by SEC standards, but no other sporting events in Arkansas regularly draw anything close to that and it's not bad for playing in the SBC.

nwarazfan

November 03, 2010, 03:36:57 pm #72 Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:40:53 pm by nwarazfan
Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 03, 2010, 03:21:34 pm
SEC teams, including Arkansas, play on Thursday nights.  I don't see the problem.  I love watching football and you don't pass up national TV.

When is the last time Ark has played a Th night game? 

Let me rephrase, the SEC is forced to provide one or two non holiday weekend Th nights due to the contract. It is very rare an SEC team plays on a weeknight.  S Car has opened the season on Th night in recent years and that has mostly been it.  That is much different than what Va Tech has done over the years.  Not saying there is a problem and stop being defensive.  I've defended ASU and given your program credit throughout the thread including acknowledging the national exposure your program received.  I just personally believe weeknight football is very small time. 

Seminole Indian

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 03, 2010, 03:36:57 pm

Let me rephrase, the SEC is forced to provide one or two non holiday weekend Th nights due to the contract. It is very rare an SEC team plays on a weeknight.  S Car has opened the season on Th night in recent years and that has mostly been it.  That is much different than what Va Tech has done over the years.  Not saying there is a problem and stop being defensive.  I've defended ASU and given your program credit throughout the thread including acknowledging the national exposure your program received.  I just personally believe weeknight football is very small time.

For an Arkansas, probably but for an ASU , no way. Do not know if many noticed but most of ASU's quality players are from out of state and that is not going to change. They recruit coast to coast and this game , like playing well against the larger schools, is why they can now recruit quality players to ASU. They have talent .

LZH

Quote from: oldbear on November 03, 2010, 06:56:55 am
I watched some of the game and really enjoyed it. Steve Roberts is a good guy. It was good publicity for ASU to get a tv win like that.

He was a TE/DE at Joe T. when I was a soph....they came down here in the early '80's for a playoff game.  When I realized it who it was that ASU hired, I thought it was neat.

He seems to be pretty secure, jobwise.  That tells me he's doing well with what he has.

It would be great if ASU could continue to improve and become a Southern Miss-type story...once a little brother/mid-major who played their way into some national recognition.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 03, 2010, 03:49:09 pm
For an Arkansas, probably but for an ASU , no way. Do not know if many noticed but most of ASU's quality players are from out of state and that is not going to change. They recruit coast to coast and this game , like playing well against the larger schools, is why they can now recruit quality players to ASU. They have talent .

It definitely helps programs trying to build if for nothing else the networks overhype them and they end up getting things they don't really earn like a VT or Boise has.  For the Sun Belt, you are right in that it gets the name "Arkansas State" out there and shows kids from out of state that they can get on national tv by going to an ASU.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 03, 2010, 03:36:57 pm

UNLV was the one that came to mind.  I am not at all defensive, just pointing out that a lot of big time programs play on week nights.  I don't see the problem with it at all for the average fans that want to watch football but if you prefer Dancing with the Stars that's cool.

LZH

Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 03, 2010, 04:12:14 pm
UNLV was the one that came to mind.  I am not at all defensive, just pointing out that a lot of big time programs play on week nights.  I don't see the problem with it at all for the average fans that want to watch football but if you prefer Dancing with the Stars that's cool.

We played SC on a Thursday since then, I believe.....maybe around 2004?

nwarazfan

Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 03, 2010, 04:12:14 pm

That was a decade ago.  We played South Carolina many years ago on a Th night as well. 

abbott347

First off im a Hog fan all the way but I do pull for the redwolves also. Why not? They dont play each other and dont really battle in recruiting. My son and I went to the game but he didnt make it to half before he was freezing and ready to go. I do think if it wasnt raining 10k more would have shown up.

batman15

Quote from: NeverYield on November 03, 2010, 11:07:50 am
She doesn't look familiar?  Jenna Jameson  :P

That's who I though, but the pic was small so I didn't know. Brb fap fap fap.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: abbott347 on November 03, 2010, 04:55:14 pm
First off im a Hog fan all the way but I do pull for the redwolves also. Why not? They dont play each other and dont really battle in recruiting. My son and I went to the game but he didnt make it to half before he was freezing and ready to go. I do think if it wasnt raining 10k more would have shown up.
Excellent points and I agree completely on the weather.  The good thing is that the refs had a better chance to hear me when I screamed words of encouragement last night.  They were terrible.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 03, 2010, 03:12:49 pm
I've been to a lot of games at schools the size and level of ASU and none of them came anywhere close to the level of support that you see from businesses in Jonesboro.  Not even remotely close.  Ten years ago it was pathetic but you can;t walk around a store or public place in town now without seeing more Red Wolves gear.  Way more.  Most of it is finally having decent apparel options and appealing logos for a change.  Part of it is that people finally started tailgating and buying into the gameday experience in town (at least until November) and having John Brady has provided a boost as well.

You still have a lot of support for the hogs and there is a lot of dual support as there should be.  The hogs are still the #1 team in the state by a longshot but in NEA people have finally started supporting the local team as well.

It was a miserable night to sit in the stands but a good showing on the field.
Like I've said I have a business in Jonesboro. Support is better now than it used to be. However to say that "most" of the businesses in Jonesboro support it is just not factual. To me that definition would mean 50% or more do something other than just decorate their windows. That is not the case. I don't consider that to be "real" support although it is nice. There actually should be much MORE support. I agree the logo and mascot change have helped.  I have also been to a lot of other towns with bigger, smaller or similar size athletic programs and I disagree that Jonesboro businesses support the Wolves more than those cities businesses. Yes it was a bad night to be in the stands. I know the coaches, Brady included and actually like him unlike some Hog fans. I do some business with some of them. In colleges coaches support goes only as far as winning will go. Coaches know that is what gets and keeps them supported.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

clutch

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2010, 08:26:36 pm
Like I've said I have a business in Jonesboro. Support is better now than it used to be. However to say that "most" of the businesses in Jonesboro support it is just not factual. To me that definition would mean 50% or more do something other than just decorate their windows. That is not the case. I don't consider that to be "real" support although it is nice. There actually should be much MORE support. I agree the logo and mascot change have helped.  I have also been to a lot of other towns with bigger, smaller or similar size athletic programs and I disagree that Jonesboro businesses support the Wolves more than those cities businesses. Yes it was a bad night to be in the stands. I know the coaches, Brady included and actually like him unlike some Hog fans. I do some business with some of them. In colleges coaches support goes only as far as winning will go. Coaches know that is what gets and keeps them supported.

Wait, wasn't the whole point that many businesses put stuff on their windows in support of the Red Wolves? I think that was aaron's whole point. To me that is showing support, I don't know what else a small time business can really do to support a program as most don't have the funds available to donate much to them. I live in Jonesboro and will just have to disagree with you on this one. I think the local businesses do a great job of supporting the Red Wolves. I thought of your post today while I was driving down Caraway road and tried to count how many places I saw with stuff on their windows. I lost count.

Quote from: LedZepHog on November 03, 2010, 03:53:16 pm
He seems to be pretty secure, jobwise.  That tells me he's doing well with what he has.

I hope you are right, but I am not so sure on how secure his job is. There is a lot of angry Red Wolves fans in the area. Their main complaint is that he can't win a road game. I think he has done a great job with the program and hope that they keep him around. I think he can turn them into a SBC champion contender year in and year out, especially if HF stays. However, I have started to wonder if they brought HF in as the next in line.

phoggy

Quote from: clutch on November 03, 2010, 09:02:25 pm
Wait, wasn't the whole point that many businesses put stuff on their windows in support of the Red Wolves? I think that was aaron's whole point. To me that is showing support, I don't know what else a small time business can really do to support a program as most don't have the funds available to donate much to them. I live in Jonesboro and will just have to disagree with you on this one. I think the local businesses do a great job of supporting the Red Wolves. I thought of your post today while I was driving down Caraway road and tried to count how many places I saw with stuff on their windows. I lost count.

I hope you are right, but I am not so sure on how secure his job is. There is a lot of angry Red Wolves fans in the area. Their main complaint is that he can't win a road game. I think he has done a great job with the program and hope that they keep him around. I think he can turn them into a SBC champion contender year in and year out, especially if HF stays. However, I have started to wonder if they brought HF in as the next in line.

I don't understand why ASU loves him so much. He's been to what 1 bowl game. I like him as a person,  but does he even have a 500 record? I wish they would have taken Gus when he was with Hooten.
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

ke2743

Quote from: ark30inf on November 02, 2010, 10:44:28 pm
The majority are fans of both programs.

Umm.. I have to disagree. Growing up in NEA, going to school at U of A, and then moving back to NEA, I can honestly say that there are way more people here in Jonesboro driving around with Hog gear on their vehicles and wearing Razorback gear than red wolves.  I'm not dogging ASU, I wish them the best.  But if it wasn't for "Paint the town red" which is a chamber of commerce event to get local businesses to support ASU athletics some game days you wouldn't even know ASU was playing.  Also if and when the Hogs play at the same time as ASU, I can guarantee there are more TV sets turned on to the Razorback game in Jonesboro then people attending the ASU game.  Once again, I'm not saying anything bad about ASU but until they get a winning program, they are still going to be just the little Red Wolves over in NEA. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: ke2743 on November 03, 2010, 10:23:26 pm
Umm.. I have to disagree. Growing up in NEA, going to school at U of A, and then moving back to NEA, I can honestly say that there are way more people here in Jonesboro driving around with Hog gear on their vehicles and wearing Razorback gear than red wolves.  I'm not dogging ASU, I wish them the best.  But if it wasn't for "Paint the town red" which is a chamber of commerce event to get local businesses to support ASU athletics some game days you wouldn't even know ASU was playing.  Also if and when the Hogs play at the same time as ASU, I can guarantee there are more TV sets turned on to the Razorback game in Jonesboro then people attending the ASU game.  Once again, I'm not saying anything bad about ASU but until they get a winning program, they are still going to be just the little Red Wolves over in NEA. 
You may not be trying to dog anyone but you are FAR from factual.

Seminole Indian

November 04, 2010, 06:10:27 am #87 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:44:50 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 03, 2010, 10:35:34 pm
Actually this type of misinformation is something you get use to when it comes to sports in Arkansas and that goes back to that monopoly thing. That and a fundamental insecurity that permeates this state that only the Razorbacks can cure.
The fact that the University of Arkansas has a first rate athletic program, is in the SEC, is a fine school  and are the #1 team in Arkansas  is not enough for a few of their fans , and most of the media  and they can never acknowledge that there is another FBS program in Arkansas.

Cannot tell you how many times I have seen people from other parts on the ASU campus for the first time just walking around and gawking. When asked what they think most simply say they did not have a clue ASU was as impressive as it is. Most though it was like UCA.

I have never understood why it is this way in this state , just that it is. It is a Arkansas thing.

ark30inf

We live in a weird state.  Inferiority complexes everywhere.

UA has been to SEC Championship Games with a bad coach.  UA is capable of anything including winning it all.  UA is in a beautiful area and has a great atmosphere and facilities.  UA is a great program and represents our state very well.  That is why they have fans in every corner of our state....not because someone else sucks.  We are proud of the UA program.

When I started as an ASU fan our rivals were programs like Lamar and UT-Arlington.  Both of those programs were left in the dust.    ASU played in a tiny stadium with a few bleachers at a very low level.  Old rivals McNeese, Nicholls, Stephen Austin, Abilene Christian, and all those others are still right where they used to be. UNO has moved its sports to Division III.  No, ASU is not on the same level as UA, it is one of the least wealthy programs in Div I.  But it has done very well improving itself with the minimal resources it has.  It has always been an underdog and it never threw in the towel.  That is worthy of at least a little bit of respect. 

UCA has a lot of the same obstacles as ASU....plus a few of their own.  They were not content to stand still and are struggling to take the same sort of path.  I really don't know how any Arkansan couldn't be proud of how they handled the first couple of years of their transition to a higher level.  Seriously, what an awesome job moving into a league full of long established Texas programs and showing them who the new guy was. 

In our house we have Razorback stuff, we have ASU stuff, and even a little UCA stuff (love the new logo).  These are all Arkansas programs and I really see no reason to not root for all of them to succeed.

GreenwayTigerHog

November 04, 2010, 08:10:00 am #89 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:13:52 am by GreenwayTigerHog
They simply over built ASU Stadium when they were making the move from 1AA.  It sure makes attendance look sparse when really lower to mid teens is pretty decent sized crowd.  I was at ASU in the late 80s before the expansion and attendance was probably 1/2 of that... but looked like more impressive. 

I noticed late in the game they showed 1 guy in the stands with a Razorback jacket/pullover.  I kinda chuckled. 

jkstock04

November 04, 2010, 08:22:04 am #90 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:25:08 am by jkstock04
Quote from: ThunderHog on November 02, 2010, 10:15:46 pm
Tip of the hat to the boys in Northeast Arkansas. 

They beat the snot out of those boys from Tinnersee.

There were some real slobber knockers from their defense.

I agree...and I'm actually not being sarcastic.  I watched the game also, and they got some guys in their secondary who will absolutely light the ball carrier/catcher up.  Head hunters.

I have a degree of respect for A-State's defense....in particular their secondary after watching that game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Seminole Indian

November 04, 2010, 08:30:39 am #91 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:36:03 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on November 04, 2010, 08:10:00 am
They simply over built ASU Stadium when they were making the move from 1AA.  It sure makes attendance look sparse when really lower to mid teens is pretty decent sized crowd.  I was at ASU in the late 80s before the expansion and attendance was probably 1/2 of that... but looked like more impressive. 

I noticed late in the game they showed 1 guy in the stands with a Razorback jacket/pullover.  I kinda chuckled.
The first two games had 25K and 25K in that stadium looks impressive and is impressive for a SBC team. They have a very good game day atmosphere because of the tailgating  Not doubt whatsoever that they would have had  20+ if it had not rained.

Sorry everyone did not get to see a good ASU crowed but they did  get to see ASU has a decent young team, nice stadium and are fun to watch. More were impressed with ASU than were not and that has been the case more often than not when ASU has gotten the chance to perform on a bigger stage recently.

nwarazfan

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on November 04, 2010, 08:10:00 am

I believe ASU had to expand in order to meet the at the time NCAA capacity requirements.  Would have looked much better if they had not been pressed to do that and could have added a matching upper deck on the east side when they could have obtained the financing.  Instead they had to go quicker and cheaper to get to over 30K. 

elksnort

The NCAA needs to go jump in the damn lake sometimes. Especially regarding nicknames. Anyway, this is another story.

ke2743

Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 03, 2010, 10:35:34 pm

Agree to disagree.  I live about a mile from the Stadium and I drive past it three or four times every day to work, on the weekends, at night, etc.  I guess I don't know what the hell I'm talking about though.  Those "House Divided" license plates need to say "City Divided". 

Seminole Indian

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 04, 2010, 08:22:04 am
I agree...and I'm actually not being sarcastic.  I watched the game also, and they got some guys in their secondary who will absolutely light the ball carrier/catcher up.  Head hunters.

I have a degree of respect for A-State's defense....in particular their secondary after watching that game.
Wish the little 5'9, 170lb CB they had last year had not graduated so everyone could have seen someone really " bring it" Tuesday night. There are receivers in places like Austin Texas, College Station Texas, Ames Iowa, and Lincoln Nebraska still having nightmares about that little guy. 

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 04, 2010, 08:30:39 am
The first two games had 25K and 25K in that stadium looks impressive and is impressive for a SBC team. They have a very good game day atmosphere because of the tailgating  Not doubt whatsoever that they would have had  20+ if it had not rained.

That's cool!  I didn't realize they were drawing that well.  Good to hear. 

SgtPepper

Here's the difference between UofA fans and ASU fans in NE Arkansas.

Most ASU fans in NEA take an active part in ASU athletics and regularly attend sporting events.

Most UofA fans in NEA have no ties to the UofA.  They just went to Wal-Mart, bought themselves a Razorback t-shirt and annointed themselves a fan.  Their idea of supporting their team is watching them on TV.

The stAte's University

SgtPepper

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2010, 08:26:36 pm
Which business do you own?
The stAte's University

nwarazfan

Quote from: SgtPepper on November 04, 2010, 10:16:57 am
Here's the difference between UofA fans and ASU fans in NE Arkansas.

Most ASU fans in NEA take an active part in ASU athletics and regularly attend sporting events.

Most UofA fans in NEA have no ties to the UofA.  They just went to Wal-Mart, bought themselves a Razorback t-shirt and annointed themselves a fan.  Their idea of supporting their team is watching them on TV.

The sad part is the ASU fan base is so small.  You wish you could attract a "t-shirt" fan base.  Perhaps if some of you wouldn't blame all of your problems on the UA and Broyles and wouldn't behave like classless idiots like the WNIT game, you would have more support in the state. 

The most pathetic part is when ASU is playing a home game yet ASU students and alumni attend the Razorback game instead.  That has got to be hard on that small group of ASU fans.