Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May Have Heard The Stupidest Statement Ever Tonight

Started by Dwyane Wade, September 03, 2009, 01:02:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lokopig

Quote from: felixfan on September 03, 2009, 03:35:26 am
womens basketball coach

........enough said!

LOL!!! +1 Just what I was thinking. Football coach kept his mouth shut and sphincter tightened when he heard her say that.

lookinupthehill

Quote from: healthyhog on September 03, 2009, 12:30:49 pm
Sorry AState guys, but your school and athletic program just took another step into the pathetic zone with that story.

I'm all about you guys having your pep rally or whatever it is, I actually support ASU when they play people like Texas and aTm...but for one of your coaches to call out a team you don't even play as if UofA owes the sad town of jonesboro something, is just....well, pathetic.

I was trying to come up with a comparison for an Arkansas coach saying something that stupid, but I really can't come up with one that makes any sense in my head.

As for the great UA v ASU debate, I say screw you guys.  If you didn't act like a bunch of whiney little biotches every year, I might consider joining the pro side.  But, I've seen enough of those stupid "I'm for the Indians, and whoever is playing the Hogs" bumper stickers in my years to tell me you guys don't deserve a game.  Enjoy your time in the Sun Belt.  Go UCA.

Stay classy, guy!  From the sounds of it you could benefit from some English classes at either school.  How many ASU fans have you seen on here whining and complaining about this?  Most people are in agreement that it wouldn't make much sense. 

And all she said was that the ASU football team would be the UofA football team.  She didn't call anyone out or suggest that Fayetteville owes Jonesboro anything.

Oh.. and I spent the first 23 years of my life in NE Arkansas and never once saw a bumpersticker like you describe.  The last 5 of those years in Jonesboro and NEVER heard anyone talk smack about the UofA.  Most people were ASU fans first but still cheered for the Hogs as well.  So before you go making rash generalizations based off 10 seconds of personal experience or heresay, you might want to actually talk to some people who've been there.

donewithdale

Quote from: MTBrookHog on September 03, 2009, 12:41:17 pm
What is also pathetic is some fans would rather beat Texas than beat Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc. Back when we beat Texas and then went 0 for October, some of our fan were still overjoyed with the "big" win. We also made a spectacle of ourselves after the game with the antics our players did. I was at the WNIT game. The first thought that came to my mind was this is how Texas feels when we beat them. 

Not nearly the same.
Quote from: ruby2sdaynar on September 03, 2009, 01:03:38 pm
So who benefits from U of A playing La Monroe, North Texas, FIU, and Troy?

Wouldn't it be a nightmare to  lose to any SBC school? Makes no difference which SBC school it was.

So its ok to pay for programs in Missouri, Michigan and Alabama?
You really want Arkansas dollars being used to support other states?

We support Mo St, Troy, ULM, E Mich, MTSU etc.  Missouri, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee etc return the favor by playing you.  It all evens out.  And its not all Arkansas dollars which pay for the tickets and goes to the Razorback Foundation.  Another fallacy in your 'lets keep the money in the state' argument. 

healthyhog

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 03, 2009, 01:03:55 pm
Stay classy, guy!  From the sounds of it you could benefit from some English classes at either school.  How many ASU fans have you seen on here whining and complaining about this?  Most people are in agreement that it wouldn't make much sense. 

And all she said was that the ASU football team would be the UofA football team.  She didn't call anyone out or suggest that Fayetteville owes Jonesboro anything.

Oh.. and I spent the first 23 years of my life in NE Arkansas and never once saw a bumpersticker like you describe.  The last 5 of those years in Jonesboro and NEVER heard anyone talk smack about the UofA.  Most people were ASU fans first but still cheered for the Hogs as well.  So before you go making rash generalizations based off 10 seconds of personal experience or heresay, you might want to actually talk to some people who've been there.

Did you really just try to critique my writing style on an internet message board?  Wow...irony.

And, don't attempt to prove me wrong on the bumper stickers, tshirts, billboards, and everything else that slogan was thrown up on in the 80s-90s.  I'm from east arkansas, I saw it everywhere.

BigErn

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 03, 2009, 12:01:04 pm
Because believe it or not, the 12,000 people that attend ASU do actually have some interest in what goes on there.  Not to mention the alumni and other supports in NE Arkansas.  Not everyone can be an elitist like you.

And before you ask, yes, I went to ASU.  Am I sorry for it?  No.  Our engineering program had better national test scores than UofA's year after year. 

Is the athletic program interesting on a national level?  Not usually, but that doesn't mean there aren't any fans.  Get over yourself.

I'm a Hog fan through and through and agree that was a stupid statement, but some of these opinions are just ridiculous.

The test scores statement is simply not true... and half of ASU's engineering programs are not even ABET accredited. ASU had half of the number of students pass the FE exam this past Spring as the UA and a lower pass rate.

ASU is not even in the same league as the UA in terms of engineering and you know it... it is a school that is nowhere near as competitive and lacks seriously in all facets of funding compared to the UA. The research alone at the UA disspells any notion of comparisons, especially in engineering.

healthyhog

Quote from: BigErn on September 03, 2009, 03:07:50 pm
The test scores statement is simply not true... and half of ASU's engineering programs are not even ABET accredited. ASU had half of the number of students pass the FE exam this past Spring as the UA and a lower pass rate.

ASU is not even in the same league as the UA in terms of engineering and you know it... it is a school that is nowhere near as competitive and lacks seriously in all facets of funding compared to the UA. The research alone at the UA disspells any notion of comparisons, especially in engineering.

Maybe he meant ASU-Beebe-Newport, Searcy Campus.  The cosmetic engineering program is top tier.

Hogz87

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 03, 2009, 12:01:04 pm
Because believe it or not, the 12,000 people that attend ASU do actually have some interest in what goes on there.  Not to mention the alumni and other supports in NE Arkansas.  Not everyone can be an elitist like you.

And before you ask, yes, I went to ASU.  Am I sorry for it?  No.  Our engineering program had better national test scores than UofA's year after year. 

Is the athletic program interesting on a national level?  Not usually, but that doesn't mean there aren't any fans.  Get over yourself.

I'm a Hog fan through and through and agree that was a stupid statement, but some of these opinions are just ridiculous. 

Thank you! 

I used to have a similar outlook as many people from the NWA and Western part of the state since that is where I was born and raised about ASU, and ASU v Arkansas.  I've been dating a girl for close to a year now and she attends ASU.  After visiting her on campus a few times and meeting some people that also attend ASU, and the students(for the most part)are very passionate about ASU sports, especially football.  My girlfriend doesn't really even care for football, and doesn't know jack about the game, but she says going to ASU games and sitting in the student section is a blast.

This crap about us not playing ASU because we have nothing to gain and everything to lose doesn't make any sense to me.  Schools all around the nation play other, smaller, in state schools on a regular basis.  LSU plays Louisiana Tech and Tulane, Ohio State plays Ohio, Michigan usually plays one of the other D-1A schools, and the list goes on.  What do those schools stand to gain?  Little to nothing but they still play the games.

thehill1414

No one outside of Arkansas even knows what ASU is. They might assume there is an Arkansas State, but the average sports fan has never even heard of it, could name the mascot, etc. This is why it would be bad if we played them. We absolutely have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

lookinupthehill

Quote from: healthyhog on September 03, 2009, 02:58:17 pm
Did you really just try to critique my writing style on an internet message board?  Wow...irony.

And, don't attempt to prove me wrong on the bumper stickers, tshirts, billboards, and everything else that slogan was thrown up on in the 80s-90s.  I'm from east arkansas, I saw it everywhere.

So you're basing your opinions on propaganda from 20 years ago?  Wow... irony.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Dwyane Wade on September 03, 2009, 01:02:36 am
So I attend ASU and tonight they had the annual call of the pack spirit rally. During this rally the womens basketball coach at Arkansas State suggested ASUs football team will beat the Razorbacks if they were to ever meet.

...make it happen Jeff Long...I wanna see these idiots silenced over here in Jonesboro

Brian Boyer DID NOT say that, a student did, who just so happens to be a women and probably doesn't know a whole lot about sports.

lookinupthehill

Actually it's 100% true.  While I was there from 1998-2002, the program was 100% ABET accredited and EIT test grades given to ASU students were better than than UofA's the last two years.  We passed 100% of participants in two of those semesters, so if UofA's engineering program beat that, well, that would be impressive.

Call me a liar if you want, I was there, were you?

lookinupthehill

Quote from: Jborohog09 on September 03, 2009, 03:56:31 pm
Brian Boyer DID NOT say that, a student did, who just so happens to be a women and probably doesn't know a whole lot about sports.

Wow...  good job, OP.  I swear, anything to start crap about Jonesboro.  Or maybe he read it in a 20 year old newspaper article.  Apparently stuff of that age is still valid...

BigErn

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 03, 2009, 03:57:02 pm
Actually it's 100% true.  While I was there from 1998-2002, the program was 100% ABET accredited and EIT test grades given to ASU students were better than than UofA's the last two years.  We passed 100% of participants in two of those semesters, so if UofA's engineering program beat that, well, that would be impressive.

Call me a liar if you want, I was there, were you?

The program that you went through may have been ABET accredited at that time. However, even to this day not all of the ASU engineering programs are ABET accredited. They are working very hard to get their and I think they will in the near future but I can assure you that not all of the programs at ASU are accredited yet.

I am currently serving on the state board and am very curious as to how you got test results that are not publicly posted. Overall test scores are released to individual depts. but as far as a general list that compares differnet programs... that does not exist.

So I presume that one of your professors may have mentioned a better testing area than the UA and you are trying to take that little piece of heresay and make it seem as though your degree carries more weight and is more competitive than one from the UA.

Very childish indeed and common amongst recent graduates. But the truth is I know for a fact that the UA has consistently higher pass rates in every area of engineering and that ASU has NEVER had a 100% pass rate on the FE exam in any semester since I have been serving, which has been since 2000.

The Boar War

Quote from: BigErn on September 03, 2009, 04:26:29 pm
The program that you went through may have been ABET accredited at that time. However, even to this day not all of the ASU engineering programs are ABET accredited. They are working very hard to get their and I think they will in the near future but I can assure you that not all of the programs at ASU are accredited yet.

I am currently serving on the state board and am very curious as to how you got test results that are not publicly posted. Overall test scores are released to individual depts. but as far as a general list that compares differnet programs... that does not exist.

So I presume that one of your professors may have mentioned a better testing area than the UA and you are trying to take that little piece of heresay and make it seem as though your degree carries more weight and is more competitive than one from the UA.

Very childish indeed and common amongst recent graduates. But the truth is I know for a fact that the UA has consistently higher pass rates in every area of engineering and that ASU has NEVER had a 100% pass rate on the FE exam in any semester since I have been serving, which has been since 2000.

Owned.

aar0n

..... silence has never been so loud...  or however you would say that pertaining to typing

RedRock

Who are the ASU Red Wolfes and where are they?  Is this a D1 football team somewhere?

The Boar War

Quote from: Tripod1 on September 03, 2009, 07:40:56 am
I use to subscribe to this statement but have since changed my mind.  Why is this statement true?  If so then why do so many other states play within their state?  99 out of 100 times Hogs win and the game would create lots of in state interest.  I just don't see a problem playing them as opposed to some directional school or even our opponent this Saturday.

Because the first few years would generate interest.  After beating them severely that interest would wane and we would be stuck playing a sub par team.  The only thing different between playing ULM and ASU would be having to listen to a few ASU fans talk about how they're going to give us a good run this year.  I like it when the rent a wins are quiet, try to play a good game, and leave understanding their role in the food chain.  Also these kinds of games are like taxes in that a lot of them don't have sunset clauses.  What happens when the record becomes ridiculous?

mj4president

What a sad school that is. Women's basketball coach at a rally....and talking speaking at that.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Dr Swineglove

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

MTBrookHog

Quote from: thehill1414 on September 03, 2009, 03:42:06 pm
No one outside of Arkansas even knows what ASU is. They might assume there is an Arkansas State, but the average sports fan has never even heard of it, could name the mascot, etc. This is why it would be bad if we played them. We absolutely have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
I bet Texas and Texas A&M know who they are.

Sivad

September 03, 2009, 05:44:59 pm #71 Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:55:34 pm by Sivad
The great goal, the be all and end all for the Arkansas Staters is to play Arkansas.
And they absolutely hate the Razorbacks and hope for their failure both as an institution and an athletic program.
They think it would give them the legitimacy they have never had.
A-State's constant whining, crying, threatening, political posturing, moaning and groaning about what they consider to be "The Game" is PITIFUL.
Tired of hearing it.
Go try to win the mighty Sun Belt you crybabies.

Pignutx32

lookinupthehill

Quote from: BigErn on September 03, 2009, 04:26:29 pm

First of all, let's put that "recent graduates" crap to bed, jackass.  Just because you're not in your twenties anymore doesn't mean you're all knowing. 

Secondly, the program was accredited while I was there.  I wasn't just a face in the crowd I worked actively in the program on many different fronts, so I think I would know.  Yes, they have changed alot since I've graduated, so that may have affected things, I'm not sure.  I know the EE program is now Electrical and Computer Engineering so I'm assuming that would change things.

Thirdly (I know I'm getting a little high in the numbers, so try to stay with me), one of the best perks of the program was that it was so small, especially in the upper classes.  I would say there were no more than 5-8 people who took the FE exam any given semester.  I know for a fact that the semester I took it, everyone passed.  I know this because I saw all their certs, just like the one I got (hmm... wonder if it had your signature on it.  nah...).  The next semester was still a group of people in my classification and I knew them all well.  I don't know if I saw all their certs, but I know the all told everyone they passed and I'd believe any one of them over anyone on this board.

I'll go ahead and wrap this up since it's probably past your bedtime, but I never said ASU's engineering degree was better than the U of A's.  Go back and get your bifocals and read it again.  I simply stated that I wasn't sorry for going to ASU because that's usually the first thing that pops up around here when you mention you're an alumus.  I feel I got a quality education and more quality time with the professors that I would've ever gotten at U of A.  And if you really are who you say you are, then you know as well as I do that on the national scale any engineering degree from the state of Arkansas doesn't hold a candle to the Purdue, Cal Tech, GA Tech, etc degrees, so what does it matter.  I had the work ethic and outside the classroom experience to get a killer job over here anyway.    Plus it allowed me to meet my future wife who I have two wonderful kids with now.  I don't regret a damn thing.

lookinupthehill

Jborohog09

you people ever consider the fact that ASU is bitter towards UA because they are the only ones who opposed them gaining University status in the 60's?

donewithdale

ASU's engineering programs' majors might as well be Arts and Crafts and Small Engine Repair.  They can probably get jobs fixing lawnmowers in Bono or Lake City.

Jbhog- Not more of that crap from the 1960's.  Get the frank over it.  That is real pathetic.  No, I don't consider that a legit reason to be bitter. 

Jborohog09

Quote from: donewithdale on September 03, 2009, 09:47:56 pm

Jbhog- Not more of that crap from the 1960's.  Get the frank over it.  That is real pathetic.  No, I don't consider that a legit reason to be bitter. 

seems like a pretty legit reason to me.  why do you not think so?  just being curious.

donewithdale

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 03, 2009, 09:03:16 pm
First of all, let's put that "recent graduates" crap to bed, jackass.  Just because you're not in your twenties anymore doesn't mean you're all knowing. 

Secondly, the program was accredited while I was there.  I wasn't just a face in the crowd I worked actively in the program on many different fronts, so I think I would know.  Yes, they have changed alot since I've graduated, so that may have affected things, I'm not sure.  I know the EE program is now Electrical and Computer Engineering so I'm assuming that would change things.

Thirdly (I know I'm getting a little high in the numbers, so try to stay with me), one of the best perks of the program was that it was so small, especially in the upper classes.  I would say there were no more than 5-8 people who took the FE exam any given semester.  I know for a fact that the semester I took it, everyone passed.  I know this because I saw all their certs, just like the one I got (hmm... wonder if it had your signature on it.  nah...).  The next semester was still a group of people in my classification and I knew them all well.  I don't know if I saw all their certs, but I know the all told everyone they passed and I'd believe any one of them over anyone on this board.

I'll go ahead and wrap this up since it's probably past your bedtime, but I never said ASU's engineering degree was better than the U of A's.  Go back and get your bifocals and read it again.  I simply stated that I wasn't sorry for going to ASU because that's usually the first thing that pops up around here when you mention you're an alumus.  I feel I got a quality education and more quality time with the professors that I would've ever gotten at U of A.  And if you really are who you say you are, then you know as well as I do that on the national scale any engineering degree from the state of Arkansas doesn't hold a candle to the Purdue, Cal Tech, GA Tech, etc degrees, so what does it matter.  I had the work ethic and outside the classroom experience to get a killer job over here anyway.    Plus it allowed me to meet my future wife who I have two wonderful kids with now.  I don't regret a damn thing.

My wife and many of her UA peers were recruited to corporations right alongside Penn St, Purdue, Auburn, Ga Tech, Texas and others.  The UA attracts many of the most advanced companies to recruit its engineering students.  I have not only never met but I have never even heard of an ASU engineer working for the companies I have worked for or my wife has worked for.  I'll ask the engineers I know from these major universities if they have known an Ark St educated engineer.  Since none of them are based in JB, I doubt they have.  Hope they dont laugh too hard.  Sorry to be mean and blunt but you are on our board. 

Melorock089

I'm against playing ASU

It would be fun for the fans, but sooner or later, they will beat Ark. and even the contrasts. It won't happen this year or possibly the next 10, but thats how 'Auburn's arise.

elksnort

Quote from: Dwyane Wade on September 03, 2009, 11:06:06 am
The Call of the Pack thing isn't really lame to be honest...I mean it is in a sense but it isn't...They are just trying to start some tradition, and ASU atheletics are on the rise (believe it or not)...Some things they do are just getting plain lame, last night they played the same Wolf Howl repetitively over the PA for what I know had to be about 10 minutes, not to mention I think they straight up stole that howl from Quinton Rampage Jackson...sounds just like it....But to think they will beat UofA at football is ridiculous
-more than you could earn back from even bringing this tired subject up and sensationalizing it to get responses. Yeah, there are many delusional A State fans as there many delusional Razorback fans too.

Why don't you start a thread with more substance.

pigsiouxie

the hogs should play them about once every ten years, and beat the hell out of them...

MTBrookHog

I know that people are free to run down anybody they want to. That being said, one of our starters Dad played for ASU. I don't know if he reads these boards but if he does, I'm sure he appreciates all the cut downs.

BigErn

Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 03, 2009, 09:03:16 pm

This is not a matter of you proving anything to me. I know the facts and personally handle these matters. I am just trying to make sure that the facts are straight and that there is no confused notions by any of the readers of this website and their university. I am not trying to degrade your educaion in anyway, I am very proud that when any Arkansasan takes it upon themselves to get a college education, especially in engineering.

But, to say the things you did in your original post about ASU having higher test scores than the UA is simply not true... and not only is it untrue there is no way for you to know that information b/c it is not released. The FE (as you know) is a Pass/Fail exam to all who take it. Other members of the board and national board members are the only ones who can view the percentage scores.

I am not going to keep on arguing this with you b/c I believe I have made my point and feel that it is futile. I will say this though, I can assure you that test scores have been recorded by students at the UA that were a perfect. I have never seen one from ASU. One year only 27 students made a perfect score in the entire nation and one was from the UA Civil Engineering Dept.

The UA has a much stronger reputation than you know amongst the nations top engineering schools and they do have a ways to go to compete with the likes of top rated Illinois, Purdue, etc... but they are not for off b/c most of the current faculty have bachelor's, master's, and phd's from those schools and are striving to get to those standards. Again, I am not trying to degrade ASU in anyway... just stating the facts b/c we all know the harm that misinformation/rumors can cause.

elksnort

Quote from: MTBrookHog on September 03, 2009, 11:15:48 pm
I know that people are free to run down anybody they want to. That being said, one of our starters Dad played for ASU. I don't know if he reads these boards but if he does, I'm sure he appreciates all the cut downs.
Yes, and this starter's dad is also a pretty good fellow too.