Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

asu-j turned down bowl bid

Started by LoseAnutt, December 07, 2008, 07:25:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LoseAnutt

looks like baby brother turned down the motor city bowl. my buddy that works out there told me that this is fact. somebody need to tell those guys that just because theyre 6-6 doesnt mean that they are like notre dame.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

How did a 6-6 Sunbelt team even get an invite?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

IndyHog76

They didn't want to play Central Michigan?

RunnerHog

Quote from: LoseAnutt on December 07, 2008, 07:25:36 pm
looks like baby brother turned down the motor city bowl. my buddy that works out there told me that this is fact. somebody need to tell those guys that just because theyre 6-6 doesnt mean that they are like notre dame.

Amazing, how many times does this team get the opportunity to play in a bowl?  Their AD is nutts.

IndyHog76

A Sun Belt team was supposed to take the place of an SEC team in the Independence Bowl as well, however, N. Illinois is going.  Could this mean ASU also possibly declined the Independence?

EDIT - Disregard, I forgot that LA Tech was going.

colbs

RunnerHog

Maybe they are holding out for that BCS bid.

Ex-Trumpet

Sunbelt conference ought to be pisched...will they send ASU a bill for the monies they would have had?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PoormansRobbyHampton

Wow, ASU shouldn't be turning down any bowl ever.

HoopS

Sometimes the payout < the cost.  Perhaps that's the case?

Masshog

You have to be kidding right?  If true, what a disservice to the kids that busted their ass all year.   
My feets hurt.

Hawgrox

Quote from: RunnerHog on December 07, 2008, 07:34:51 pm
Maybe they are holding out for that BCS bid.

...or they feel that the name "Motor City Bowl" projects a negative stereotype on the Internal Combustion Engine and turned it down in protest. Those Red Wolves are pretty culturally sensitive ya know...

Sivad

ASU's "program" earns so little, they probably do not have the money to go.

secfan30

TrumannRazorback24

I seriously hope this is a joke.

Hawgrox

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/jonesboro-ar/TP9SUGLOKM8HLRM9A

This board is saying that ASU turned down TWO bids...and that Steve Roberts is about to be fired and (get this) Tommy Tuberville will be their next coach!

Who are these people?

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 07, 2008, 08:03:16 pm

This board is saying that ASU turned down TWO bids...and that Steve Roberts is about to be fired and (get this) Tommy Tuberville will be their next coach!

Who are these people?

Thats a topix board.  Ignore them.   Its a running joke that some of the ASU posters get on there and post the craziest rumors possible just to see what happens

Yes we did turn down the Motor city bowl.   Motor City Bowl had to choose between us or Florida Atlantic, they asked us, and we said no.   FAU is going instead

As for why.  I have no earthly idea.  But something is up.  You can say financials.  But we lost money going to New Orleans a couple years ago and still did that.   It would have been our 2nd bowl bid ever...so you just dont turn it down for no real reason.   

Roberts got some heat late this season after we started to struggle in October and November for the 3rd year in a row.   Lost 3 games in the last 2 minutes this year.  His situation is alot like Nutt at Arkansas.  he wins 6 games consitantly each year.  but can never get us to that 7th win hump.   after a while, you begin to wonder if its not time to bring someone else in
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

LoseAnutt

Who are these people?
maybe it's not as crazy as it seems. tuberville's first coaching job was as an assistant coach at arkansas state.

riccoar

Roberts is a good guy, unlike TCTWF.  What does ASU have to lose?  They got Brady.  Hell, why not try and make a run at Tommy?

chiefsfan

Quote from: HoopS on December 07, 2008, 07:38:36 pm
Sometimes the payout < the cost.  Perhaps that's the case?

Yes and No.   There are a bunch of D1 teams that actually lose money going to a bowl.  ASU is one of them.   That doesnt mean that you dont want to go though

We're mythed.   Most of the fans here would admit, we probably didnt deserve a bid.  But not one of us dared even suggest we should turn an invite down
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: riccoar on December 07, 2008, 08:11:21 pm
Roberts is a good guy, unlike TCTWF. 

Oh trust me I know that.   Im just comparing our results to that of TCTWF's   wins about the same number of games each year.  Never truly has a bad year.   But doesnt get over a certain number of wins

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 07, 2008, 08:08:36 pm
Thats a topix board.  Ignore them.   Its a running joke that some of the ASU posters get on there and post the craziest rumors possible just to see what happens

Yes we did turn down the Motor city bowl.   Motor City Bowl had to choose between us or Florida Atlantic, they asked us, and we said no.   FAU is going instead

As for why.  I have no earthly idea.  But something is up.  You can say financials.  But we lost money going to New Orleans a couple years ago and still did that.   It would have been our 2nd bowl bid ever...so you just dont turn it down for no real reason.  

Roberts got some heat late this season after we started to struggle in October and November for the 3rd year in a row.   Lost 3 games in the last 2 minutes this year.  His situation is alot like Nutt at Arkansas.  he wins 6 games consitantly each year.  but can never get us to that 7th win hump.   after a while, you begin to wonder if its not time to bring someone else in
I would think that a bowl bid would have enough significance to the Arkansas State program that losing some money wouldn't hurt too much.

Very puzzling decision.

jmingram911

Wow if they actually turned down a bowl bid, that's amazing for a program that's only been to ONE bowl previously.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

riccoar

I think a serious run at Tommy Tuberville by ASU would be smart.  I think after Auburn, TT may just enjoy a little less stress for a couple years.

chiefsfan

Quote from: riccoar on December 07, 2008, 08:19:10 pm
I think a serious run at Tommy Tuberville by ASU would be smart.  I think after Auburn, TT may just enjoy a little less stress for a couple years.

Problem is we still have a coach.  And Tubberville seems insistant on taking a year off

If you listened to the fictional new coach talk up here, the only names you here are Tommy Tubberville and Gus Malzhan.   Neither of which are nothing more then a pipe dream.  Unless the administration puts Brady like money into the football program.  We pay Roberts less then some 1AA teams do

SquidBilly

If ASU can't afford to send their team to a bowl there is no way they can afford Tommy Tuberville.  Hiring Tuberville will cost exponentially more than sending 100 guys to Detroit.

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 07, 2008, 08:25:03 pm
Problem is we still have a coach.  And Tubberville seems insistant on taking a year off

If you listened to the fictional new coach talk up here, the only names you here are Tommy Tubberville and Gus Malzhan.   Neither of which are nothing more then a pipe dream.  Unless the administration puts Brady like money into the football program.  We pay Roberts less then some 1AA teams do
Yeah I had a friend talking about the money that ASU pays Roberts the other day.  He said he didn't know for sure but he thought it was in the 200,000 range.

I thought that was crazy because most BCS conference coordinators make that kind of money.

chiefsfan

Quote from: TrumannRazorback24 on December 07, 2008, 08:30:02 pm
Yeah I had a friend talking about the money that ASU pays Roberts the other day.  He said he didn't know for sure but he thought it was in the 200,000 range.

I thought that was crazy because most BCS conference coordinators make that kind of money.

325,000 I believe is his official salary.    its like 115th or so in D1.  Most of the top 1AA teams pay more.

chiefsfan

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 07, 2008, 08:27:27 pm
If ASU can't afford to send their team to a bowl there is no way they can afford Tommy Tuberville.  Hiring Tuberville will cost exponentially more than sending 100 guys to Detroit.

The basketball team didnt have the money to hire Brady.  We got Booster help.  Its certainly possible

AckaBacka

December 07, 2008, 08:39:05 pm #30 Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:40:49 pm by AckaBacka

Who are these people?
Why would the Indians turn down an invite to an SEC bowl?  Is Vandy turning it down as well?  I bet its a mistake and the story was supposed to read that ASU is playing in place of Vandy in the Music City Bowl in Nashville.  It would make much more sense for Vandy to turn that bowl down, not ASU.  ASU (team and fans) could travel easily and cheaply. What about the extra practice time? Also I cannot belive that Tubberville would go to ASU even though they do have Brady coaching BB there and he went to a Final Four very recently.

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 07, 2008, 08:32:25 pm
325,000 I believe is his official salary.    its like 115th or so in D1.  Most of the top 1AA teams pay more.
That just seems ridiculous.

I have been hearing about the heat Roberts is getting.  I live right in the middle of all kinds of Arkansas State fans and I understand that the road struggles really gets to some of them and I can see why.

At the start of this year they looked like they were going to have a pretty solid year but something happened.  I can see why alot of ASU fans can be frustrated with him.

joeyself

I don't have a dog (or wolf) in the fight, but from my vantage point, I can see the logic in turning it down.

On the upside, you can say you played in a bowl.

On the downside, if the money is not good enough, you paid for the privilege of screwing up your Xmas holiday to go to Detroit Freakin' Michigan in the winter to play Central Michigan in a home game that no one really cares about in the first place.

Downside wins.  Let's go to Grandma's and get some good cooking for the holidays.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

chiefsfan

Quote from: AckaBacka on December 07, 2008, 08:39:05 pm
Why would the Indians turn down an invite to an SEC bowl?  Is Vandy turning it down as well?  I bet its a mistake and the story was supposed to read that ASU is playing in place of Vandy in the Music City Bowl in Nashville.  It would make much more sense for Vandy to turn that bowl down, not ASU.  ASU (team and fans) could travel easily and cheaply. What about the extra practice time? Also I cannot belive that Tubberville would go to ASU even though they do have Brady coaching BB there and he went to a Final Four very recently.

The Independence Bowl and the Sun Belt conference are most likely not on speaking terms anymore.  We contracted with them to take a Sun Belt school if the SEC or Big 12 couldnt fill its spots there.   Neither conference did.   Problem is that the I Bowl committee selected Louisiana Tech for one spot, and the Tech administration essentially threatened to not go there if they took a Sun Belt school as an opponent

Papa Johns had the same deal, but the contract didnt require a 6 win team to be taken.  they got to choose before the I Bowl for 6 win teams and chose NC State instead.   When the I Bowl selection came around, it was either the Sun Belt or Northern Illinois.   They took NIU.  Which is slightly ridiculous when you think about what either Arkansas State or Louisiana Lafayette would have brought to Shreveport

Motor City basically had last pick, and had to choose between San Jose State or the 3 Sun belt Schools.   They called and asked if we were interested, and were told no

ScotchHog

Quote from: jmingram911 on December 07, 2008, 08:16:05 pm
Wow if they actually turned down a bowl bid, that's amazing for a program that's only been to ONE bowl previously.
Four bowls.
They went to the Pecan Bowl three straight years from '68-'70.
Always waiting

Hawgrox

Quote from: joeyself on December 07, 2008, 08:48:37 pm
I don't have a dog (or wolf) in the fight, but from my vantage point, I can see the logic in turning it down.

On the downside, if the money is not good enough, you paid for the privilege of screwing up your Xmas holiday to go to Detroit Freakin' Michigan in the winter to play Central Michigan in a home game that no one really cares about in the first place.

Downside wins.  Let's go to Grandma's and get some good cooking for the holidays.

JcS

...not if you're a competitor.

chiefsfan

Quote from: joeyself on December 07, 2008, 08:48:37 pm

JcS

That downside exists for a school like Arkansas.   but Arkansas State has played in 1 sanctioned bowl since the 1950's.   it doesnt make sense for us to turn down a chance to say we made the postseason

chiefsfan

Quote from: ScotchHog on December 07, 2008, 08:50:22 pm
Four bowls.
They went to the Pecan Bowl three straight years from '68-'70.

and the Refrigerator Bowl twice in the 50's  but none of those exist anymore

joeyself

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 07, 2008, 08:50:33 pm

...not if you're a competitor.

I don't know that a team has to travel to the garden capital of the Midwest (where is that sarcasm smilie?) to play the day after Xmas to prove they are competitors.  I can see why teams wouldn't want to go there for a low paying gig.   Common sense has to enter into the equation somewhere.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

RunnerHog

Normally Arkansas State goes to Flusing NY to play in the toilet bowl. Roberts getting them into a two bowls now, if they had accepted, should of warranted a alter being built to Roberts and new religion in Jonesboro.

Tommy T is not going to be their coach. Mark that down.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 07, 2008, 08:33:52 pm
The basketball team didnt have the money to hire Brady.  We got Booster help.  Its certainly possible

Don't have $100,000 to pay a coach like Brady?? If they would turn the light off at teh baseball stadium and the football stadium on weeknight they could save that much easy. Never understand why they burn those light with not a soul in sight.

Hawgrox

Quote from: joeyself on December 07, 2008, 08:55:31 pm
I don't know that a team has to travel to the garden capital of the Midwest (where is that sarcasm smilie?) to play the day after Xmas to prove they are competitors.  I can see why teams wouldn't want to go there for a low paying gig.   Common sense has to enter into the equation somewhere.

JcS

Then why turn down the Indy Bowl.....not as far to travel...the fans have a good time gambling...and it's 3 days after Christmas...

LJHOG

I thought Tuberville was staying at Auburn in some capacity so he gets his six mil.  Not sure now where I heard that.

joeyself

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 07, 2008, 09:08:41 pm
Then why turn down the Indy Bowl.....not as far to travel...the fans have a good time gambling...and it's 3 days after Christmas...

Can't answer that one, and won't try--I can just see the logic in saying "Nah" to Detroit.

JcS

RunnerHog

Quote from: LJHOG on December 07, 2008, 09:13:54 pm
I thought Tuberville was staying at Auburn in some capacity so he gets his six mil.  Not sure now where I heard that.

I am not sure if that is true, I am sure that Ark. St could not come up with the 2 Mil + it would take to hire Tubby.

hogfan56

"Names surfacing to replace old coach...

BUTCH JONES – Central Michigan

BRADY HOKE – Ball State

TODD GRAHAM – Tulsa

TURNER GILL – Buffalo

BRIAN KELLY – Cincinnati"

This came from a poster on that board.

All I could think was...keep dreaming.

Hawgrox

Who are these people?

Did anybody catch the "I Just" post over there?

RunnerHog

"Arkansas State is growing my friend. These coaches know if they come here they will get recruits and win games "

These people live to close to Oxford, delusions are a catching illness over that way.

chiefsfan

Please ignore the topix board.  Theres a thread over there debating whose the hottest cashier at Wal-Mart

We didnt turn down the I Bowl bid.  Louisiana Tech basically threatened to leave if they invited a Sun Belt School

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 07, 2008, 08:08:36 pm
Roberts got some heat late this season after we started to struggle in October and November for the 3rd year in a row.   Lost 3 games in the last 2 minutes this year.  His situation is alot like Nutt at Arkansas.  he wins 6 games consitantly each year.  but can never get us to that 7th win hump.   after a while, you begin to wonder if its not time to bring someone else in

Please don't ever compare Steve to Nutt again. Ever. I went to college with him and he is nothing but class.