Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Message Board "The Den"

Started by Lanny, August 31, 2008, 08:39:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

booogaga

Quote from: HoginHouston on August 31, 2008, 10:35:06 am
I just went over to their board. Um, are those people for real? I'm always happy to see an Arkansas team win, but that board is franking hilarious. They seem to actually believe ASU is on the edge of being competition for Arkansas. What do they have, like 20k at their games? And what the heck is their mascot anyway?

It's like you want to be a good Arkansan and support a nice upset, but then you read the board and you kind of want them to know their place. We could come up with a list of 50 games in the past 20 years that are similar to ASU beating a bad A and M team. When ULM beat Alabama, did that mean LSU should be worried? When Troy scores one of their upset specials, should Alabama and Auburn start getting scared? Geez.

ASU will NOT EVER be anything resembling a rival for Arkansas, and they need to stop complaining about the fact that the state supports the Hogs. They don't have the facilities, the fans, the tradition, or the money. Oh, and they play in the Sun Belt! Enough.
hit the nail on the head.
GO HOGS!

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 02, 2008, 07:35:25 am

Like welfare much?

If UA is going to pay an opponent to play, why don't they keep the money in-state?  Why do we have to send over a million dollars a year out of Arkansas.  This solves at least two issues.  1.  Keeping a game in LR  2.  Getting a guaranteed opponent at a bargain price.

It isn't a hand-out.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: MuleriderFan on September 02, 2008, 08:34:42 am
If UA is going to pay an opponent to play, why don't they keep the money in-state?  Why do we have to send over a million dollars a year out of Arkansas.  This solves at least two issues.  1.  Keeping a game in LR  2.  Getting a guaranteed opponent at a bargain price.

It isn't a hand-out.

I don't think we split the gate with anyone,  yet that's what you're proposing.  You don't think that's a handout?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

Think about it for a minute.  If we played ASU in WMS there'd be 45,000 Hog fans minimum and maybe... maybe 12,000 ASU fans and you want to split the gate with them.

That's the definition of welfare.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Arkstfan

UA is a welfare program, that's what Frank said when signed ULM and gave them the attendance so they could stay I-A.

I'm not interested in any split the gate deals, that doesn't make economic sense.

The only things that make economic sense are:
Playing in Fayetteville for whatever the going rate is minus the reduced travel costs.
Doing a ULM sort of deal so the game is under the Sun Belt TV contract (thereby being one of the best games in Sun Belt TV inventory and if not picked up by ESPN/ESPN2 can be sold on a local syndication deal).

Anything else is just stupid rantings.

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 02, 2008, 09:25:11 am
UA is a welfare program, that's what Frank said when signed ULM and gave them the attendance so they could stay I-A.

I'm not interested in any split the gate deals, that doesn't make economic sense.

The only things that make economic sense are:
Playing in Fayetteville for whatever the going rate is minus the reduced travel costs.
Doing a ULM sort of deal so the game is under the Sun Belt TV contract (thereby being one of the best games in Sun Belt TV inventory and if not picked up by ESPN/ESPN2 can be sold on a local syndication deal).

Anything else is just stupid rantings.

That makes good sense.  I have wondered why the UA cares so much about an out-of-state school.  I guess Frank never cared about helping out his neighbors.  The deal was more of a slap in the face to ASU.  I have been a Hog fan ever since the day I was born, never cared that much about ASU, but I even realized that.
I would like to see a UA-ASU football game.  I was in attendance at the UA-ASU NIT game over 20 years ago.  There was alot at stake that night.  UA would have lost, Nolan would have lost his job the next day.  I don't think that Long would fire a coach for losing to ASU once.  UA has not lost to a member of the Sun Belt, and I don't think they are going to start anytime soon.  Who knows, after 4 or 5 years, ASU might want out of the deal.  Play them in Fayetteville, LR, Jonesboro, wherever.  UA will prob beat them by 5+ td's.  (except for this year)
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 02, 2008, 09:25:11 am

We can agree on this!  I don't have any problem at all scheduling ASU as a home game.  I don't agree with the notion that it MUST be an annual game.

I believe we should put y'all on the schedule when it works out for us and is in our interest and it aligns with your interests, as well.

These folks and their mandatory annual game in WMS drive me up the wall.

Sivad

Same-O, same-O over there:
Squealing about the Hogs not playing them and making them relevant;
Badmouthing and hoping for destruction of the Razorbacks; and
Proclaiming themselves worldbeaters and champions for beating an unranked team that is not in their ridiculous Sun-Belt conference.

budcampbellfan

September 02, 2008, 09:59:46 am #58 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:40:05 am by budcampbellfan
If we ever play ASU, we better come to play.  Anyone remember Memphis State series?  We show up half-assed every year and got beat.  So we drop the series because we didn't sign up to play real football.  We only signed up for a cupcake and they did not comply.

Rather than start kicking their butts, we said "No, thanks.  Your're not cooperating.  We ain't into this game for the competition, just want a little warm-up."  Based on what ASU did in Texas the past 2 years, we better take them seriously. 

That goes for ULM too, this Sat.  I do look for Arkansas to dominate this weekend.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

maximus

good win for asu.  i am pumped for them.  i think its awesome. 
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

Arkstfan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 02, 2008, 09:37:45 am

We can agree on this!  I don't have any problem at all scheduling ASU as a home game.  I don't agree with the notion that it MUST be an annual game.

Agree 100%. Maybe someday but there's a lot to happen between now and when/if that day comes. Just as it took time for that to happen in Colorado. Maybe it never gets there.

I like Georgia's philosophy. Back when the one in four rule was in place for bowl eligibility against I-AA's they signed a multi-game contract with Georgia Southern to play every four years.

If I were AD at Arkansas State, my top scheduling priority is getting another Memphis contract signed because there is only one game left in that series and it isn't until 2010 or 2011. Don't even spend the night in a hotel for that one and it gives us home games.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 02, 2008, 10:19:45 am

If I were AD at Arkansas State, my top scheduling priority is getting another Memphis contract signed because there is only one game left in that series and it isn't until 2010 or 2011. Don't even spend the night in a hotel for that one and it gives us home games.

That game has always been good for ASU,  is actually fun (I've even attended a few) and makes good financial sense.

DeltaBoy

Lets just play A-state or else quit playing Sunbelt team altogether. If I am giving out money, I rather give it to my Neighbor ASU rather than a out of stater like UNT or ULM.  That is my 2 cents on that issue.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cbjagman

Congrats certainly to the Red Wolves. A super victory for the boys in white, red and white. I believe they deserve the win of the week honors.

pigz

ya fock those guys, one of our own says congrats and good luck sincerely and one of thier mods tells them to shove it? they can suck our huge SEC balls.
You guys have a good time frig dancing

budcampbellfan

If ASU had more than 12,000 fans they would be dangerous.  lol
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Sivad on September 02, 2008, 09:38:52 am
Same-O, same-O over there:
Squealing about the Hogs not playing them and making them relevant;
Badmouthing and hoping for destruction of the Razorbacks; and
Proclaiming themselves worldbeaters and champions for beating an unranked team that is not in their ridiculous Sun-Belt conference.

Its a tense relationship.    And a few arent helping it by coming over and telling us that we will always be irrelevant.

Thats sort of like going over to an Ole Miss board and congratulating them on beating memphis by saying "I still think your coach is a moron only out for himself and I still think that you will be irrelevant in the SEC for thousands of years but congrats on the win"

The Problem a few razorback fans have...and yes there are a few like this, is that they honestly cannot understand why someone in the state of Arkansas, with no ties to another SEC team or Texas would hate them.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

PositronHog

Quote from: jpsand on September 02, 2008, 12:16:20 pm

http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=873c3fd49f3f960ec292d0f8fa7e904a&topic=37742.0

Talk about talking smack.  We are amateurs compared to these guys.
I say we schedule ASU next year and let BP and Co. kick the sh-t out of the little puppies arrogant as-es who think they can run with the big dogs! :puke:

chiefsfan

Quote from: pigz on September 02, 2008, 11:30:04 am
ya fock those guys, one of our own says congrats and good luck sincerely and one of thier mods tells them to shove it? they can suck our huge SEC balls.

You mean this congratulatory post

"As a hog fan in Northeast Arkansas I wanted to say congratulations.  But what you guys need to realize is a season isnt measured on one win. You have to play the whole season to be deemed a success so good luck and I do hope you win your conference. But one thing that bothers me is the reference to Arkansas not scheduling ASTATE. Well why dont you schedule Central Arkansas.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds fishy dont it.
WPS "

The response was a well deserved   Shove it

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogfanbryan on September 02, 2008, 12:29:23 pm
I say we schedule ASU next year and let BP and Co. kick the sh-t out of the little puppies arrogant as-es who think they can run with the big dogs! :puke:

Too late.  we're already scheduled to play Nebraska and Iowa.    But our 2010 schedule is open.     Why dont your people contact our people.   

nextlevel

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 02, 2008, 12:33:04 pm

Too late.  we're already scheduled to play Nebraska and Iowa.    But our 2010 schedule is open.     Why dont your people contact our people.   

Why don't your people contact UCA's people and we'll take the winner in '11.

A UCA vs UA match up would be fun to watch.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

PositronHog

Nah! by 2010 J.Adams, Ford and the Warren trio + the rest of the freshmen will be juniors and Mallet will be a senior, be way 2 easy. ;) ;)

budcampbellfan

Too late.  we're already scheduled to play Nebraska and Iowa.    But our 2010 schedule is open.     Why dont your people contact our people.   
Too late?  ASU would cancel next week's game if necessary for UA.

chiefsfan

Quote from: budcampbellfan on September 02, 2008, 12:44:12 pm
Too late?  ASU would cancel next week's game if necessary for UA.

Considering that both Iowa and Nebraska are paying us 1 million dollars each for the game...i doubt it

chiefsfan

Quote from: nextlevel on September 02, 2008, 12:38:55 pm
Why don't your people contact UCA's people and we'll take the winner in '11.

A UCA vs UA match up would be fun to watch.

You honestly think UCA would beat us?   Do You watch football at all?

budcampbellfan

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 02, 2008, 12:57:22 pm

Considering that both Iowa and Nebraska are paying us 1 million dollars each for the game...i doubt it
I think ASU would cancel and pay Arkansas.  They have way more to gain than a measely $million.

pigz

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 02, 2008, 12:29:38 pm
You mean this congratulatory post

"As a hog fan in Northeast Arkansas I wanted to say congratulations.  But what you guys need to realize is a season isnt measured on one win. You have to play the whole season to be deemed a success so good luck and I do hope you win your conference. But one thing that bothers me is the reference to Arkansas not scheduling ASTATE. Well why dont you schedule Central Arkansas.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds fishy dont it.
WPS "

The response was a well deserved   Shove it

It was deserved because he stated a fact? Or was it when he said he hoped you won your conference? One win doesnt mean shite. Keep up the little man complex, i'm sure asu will be a huge football program real soon...

Arkstfan

September 02, 2008, 03:08:38 pm #78 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:11:17 pm by Arkstfan
When you come visit and act like a jerk. Absolutely deserved. Come over post something like that I'll tell you to shove too.

Hog fans have ABSOLUTELY no moral authority to suggest ASU play anyone in-state first.

We played UALR when they joined Division I long before joining the same league. We played UAPB in every sport but football and then only because UAPB wouldn't come to Jonesboro for normal I-AA pay. We've played UCA.

How dare any Hog fan suggest we improve our in-state scheduling without having ever scheduled in-state in modern times.

ExArky

September 02, 2008, 03:22:01 pm #79 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:26:30 pm by ExArky
There is no other reason that Arkansas doesn't play Arkansas State other than it simply hasn't wanted to. UA has the right to schedule who it wants to and not schedule who it doesn't want to, for whatever reasons or no reasons, even if playing Western Illinois and Tulsa instead doesn't really make a lot of sense.

There is no reason to for Arkansas State to care anymore whether or not it plays Arkansas when it has reached a point that it can on occasion compete with BCS programs and regularly schedule major-conference teams for big bucks.

The success or failure of either program would not be affected by a game between them, regardless of the outcome. If UA, with vastly greater resources, began losing to ASU on a regular basis, it would be a symptom of other issues in the athletic program, not a cause of them.

The efforts of UA to keep ASU in check politically and academically, that ArkStFan mentions, are well documented, but hopefully in the past as new administrations are in power. Public education institutions need to be pulling together politically, not apart, and that happens in many states even when there is athletic rivalry. Arkansas public universities are academically mediocre by any national measure -- and I have a degree from one, so that's not arrogance on my part. They need to be working together to correct this, not against each other.

All that said ... it would be a lot more fun for a lot of fans to see Arkansas-Arkansas State rather than Arkansas-ULM or Arkansas State-Texas Southern. It's a game, for crying out loud. Play it. Life goes on.

pigz

Arkstfan

At one time not playing wasn't merely a matter of preference. IT MADE GOOD BUSINESS SENSE.

Many fans forget that the NCAA used to control television and seriously limit the number of TV appearances a school could make. If a team attracted some attention it could end up on ABC Regional or National TV because they couldn't show every Notre Dame game under NCAA rules. Playing some little ol up-comer could launch them to TV appearances.

There used to be less than half as many bowl games and no one except SOME conference champs were guaranteed a bowl appearance. A team attracting attention could suddenly end up in a bowl game. South Carolina would have been welcomed by several bowls last year because of their fan base. Troy would have been considered interesting as well but there were no bowls not filled by pre-existing agreements last year.

There used to be more independents as well before Penn State moved to the Big 10. Former independents from that era include South Carolina in the SEC, four ACC schools, Penn State in the Big 10, six of the Big East schools, five CUSA schools, 2 MAC schools, and one from the Sun Belt. Schedules weren't set years in advance. You could quickly schedule a slate that would get you national attention.

That dynamic is all gone now, but it absolutely made sense at the time.

Ceba

ASU will maybe schedule UCA now.  ASU should help there little brother in central Arkansas. 

Arkstfan

nextlevel

I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Arkstfan

Let's see they aren't even officially I-AA yet (can't go to playoffs).

Arkansas State has been Division I since 1975.

I think maybe ASU should follow your example and wait just as long to play them.

You do realize what a completely stupid argument that is don't you? First that's like Larry Flynt raising hell because the Sears catalog shows too much skin.

When UA gets some moral authority on this matter that might be the time to give advice.
ASU has played UCA two more times in football in the last forty years than UA has scheduled any Arkansas school in ANY sport.

nextlevel

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 02, 2008, 04:34:53 pm
Let's see they aren't even officially I-AA yet (can't go to playoffs).

I think maybe ASU should follow your example and wait just as long to play them.

You do realize what a completely stupid argument that is don't you? First that's like Larry Flynt raising hell because the Sears catalog shows too much skin.

When UA gets some moral authority on this matter that might be the time to give advice.
ASU has played UCA two more times in football in the last forty years than UA has scheduled any Arkansas school in ANY sport.

Give me reasons that are beneficial to the UA to play stAte. Until then I think its highly hypocritical of stAte fans to rant and rave about a match up with an in state team while they keep running from other eligible in state teams, mainly UCA.

ell oh ell

Texman

Quote from: nextlevel on September 02, 2008, 04:41:41 pm
Give me reasons that are beneficial to the UA to play stAte. Until then I think its highly hypocritical of stAte fans to rant and rave about a match up with an in state team while they keep running from other eligible in state teams, mainly UCA.

Why does it have to be beneficial to UA?  Heck, you have to have a "rent a win".  From the sound of it, ASU is it for UA... now, they just need to settle the deal.

nextlevel

September 02, 2008, 04:57:18 pm #88 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:58:51 pm by nextlevel
Quote from: Texman on September 02, 2008, 04:50:11 pm
Why does it have to be beneficial to UA?  Heck, you have to have a "rent a win".  From the sound of it, ASU is it for UA... now, they just need to settle the deal.

You "rent a win" every team other team in the sunbelt, and it just that a "rent a win". Then you have stAte, giving them a "superbowl" every year. Then you get into having to split the gate, play in WMS, etc that I'm sure stAte feels they are some how entitled too.

It sounds like UCA would be a great replacement for that Texas-southern spot for stAte.

ell oh ell

nextlevel

ell oh ell

Texman

Quote from: nextlevel on September 02, 2008, 04:57:18 pm
You "rent a win" every team other team in the sunbelt, and it just that a "rent a win". Then you have stAte, giving them a "superbowl" every year. Then you get into having to split the gate, play in WMS, etc that I'm sure stAte feels they are some how feels entitled too.

It sounds like UCA would be a great replacement for that Texas-southern spot for stAte.

Unfortunately, you like to compare apples to oranges.  And yes, as pointed out previously, ASU and UCA have played in football in the past.  So, are you scared of ASU?  A number of people support the game.. I am one.  I see no negative in it whatsoever and the it would be great for football fans in the state. 

nextlevel

Quote from: Texman on September 02, 2008, 04:59:55 pm
Unfortunately, you like to compare apples to oranges.  And yes, as pointed out previously, ASU and UCA have played in football in the past.  So, are you scared of ASU?  A number of people support the game.. I am one.  I see no negative in it whatsoever and the it would be great for football fans in the state. 

So what UA has played UCA as well in the past as well as several other in state schools.

I see no positives to the game. I guess I see stAte like they see UCA, not worth scheduling.

ell oh ell

Texman

Quote from: nextlevel on September 02, 2008, 05:04:11 pm
So what UA has played UCA as well in the past as well as several other in state schools.

I see no positives to the game. I guess I see stAte like they see UCA, not worth scheduling.

Typical t-shirt fan attitude. 

nextlevel

ell oh ell

Sivad

Quote from: nextlevel on September 02, 2008, 04:41:41 pm

I'll answer your question:
There are absolutely NO advantages for the UA to play that school in Jonesboro.
And yet, that school cries, whines, begs, threatens and is absolutely obsessed with forcing a game with the program they hate beyond passion, the program they constantly ridicule, the program they cheer to fail, the UA.
Interesting that the week of them winning what writers have been calling the "most embarrassing upset in the history of the Big-12", they choose rather than to celebrate, to dredge up their moby dick chase of a game with the team they despise in the hopes the UA will change course and agree to help pull them up from their nothingness.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 02, 2008, 04:34:53 pm

Except for the years that they were dropped to 1-AA.

Table Rocker

Maverick Razorback

IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

cbjagman

What you guess have to realize is that a group of AState fans, like even some Hog fans, can never accept a congrats graciously. Must be really miserable for those A state folks to have peni* envy.