Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State's New Mascot

Started by The_Hill, January 27, 2008, 12:46:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Does anybody have a picture of Injun Joe?  I did an internet search and came up empty.  I remember they would show a picture of him on Channel 7 when they would talk about ASU on the news program.

CowHog

who cares...this is for RAZORBACK news and discussion!

Wash Hogwallop

Quote from: bugo on January 29, 2008, 02:41:27 am
Does anybody have a picture of Injun Joe?  I did an internet search and came up empty.  I remember they would show a picture of him on Channel 7 when they would talk about ASU on the news program.

Jumpin' Joe

Runnin' Joe

Hogsnort

OLDHOG

Milton

Quote from: SonicHogMan on January 28, 2008, 08:19:28 pm
I would have thought that "Tornadoes" would have been good.  Jonesboro sure does seem to have their share of them...
Tornadoes doesn't sound right, let's more it more redneckified. How about the ASU Naders
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on January 28, 2008, 10:37:14 am
Looking for something regional to NEA. How about the...

BeerRunners

Those people from Jonesboro (Dry) spend half their lives in Paragould (Wet).

How about "Bootleggers"?  Don't ya' think that before the advent of beer joints that there may have been a few stills about the area?
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

ke2743

Quote from: secfan30 on January 27, 2008, 01:56:02 pm
Most people with Indian Heritage had no problems with it. The issues came from a politically correct few that have the power to make it hard on the rest of us.
seriously.. I'm 1/16 Cherokee, which basically means I'm nothing, but if I was native american I would be honored to have a college team named after me.  Or I just wouldn't care.  But those new names are stupid, no wonder everybody in Jonesboro cheers for the HOGS more than ASU. 

preach33

Here is something to think about gang - if the NCAA continues to get thier way on this issue - it will filter down to the high school level.

How many of our high schools in Arkansas have some sort of Native American mascot - right off hand

1. Pocahontas - Mohawks
2. Osceola - Seminoles
3. Blytheville - Chickasaws
4. Pottsville - Apaches
5. Lamar - Warriors

are there some others

Here are a couple of interesting reads when it comes to the Indian Heritage in Jonesboro -http://www.jonesboro.org/History/History.htm

Here is another interesting read

http://www.joebobbriggs.com/jbamerica/2002/jba20020516.html

Swinehart

January 29, 2008, 09:42:10 am #159 Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:47:41 am by Swinehart
Quote from: crowe6_1 on January 27, 2008, 11:32:26 pm
what is arkansas state changing their name for?
NCAA says they are dissing the noble Native American and will cut off their electricity (juice) if they do not change.

On another note, regarding the way they are treated in the state maybe they should be called:

"THE REDHEADED STEPCHILDREN".

preach33

NCAA picking on the little guys

Go fight with Florida State - oh wait - they have the money to fight with the NCAA.

Scaife

If Hogstudent79 is right, then I guess I see what it going on. It always seemed strange to me that the PC nazis would choose to get involved with the NCAA and go after the schools mascots where there are much more "offensive" mascots in professional sports (e.g. Washington Redskins).

I am not an ASU fan, but I hope that they get a better mascot that the lame ones that they are bandying about currently.

txkrazorback

why not name them the "Mallards" or "Greenheads"?
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

jst01

Quote from: Texman on January 27, 2008, 02:57:49 pm
You must not realize how silly, redneckish the "Woo Pig Sooie" is looked at around the US.

you must not realize that everyone besides Texans think Texas is a sh*t pile and full of conceited jerks. 

razorbak

they are black so the colors can remain the same.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

Bama Hog™

I was hoping for one of these:

1. The Meth Makers
2. The Spit Cups
3. The Fighting Elmers 
4. The Trailer Parkers
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

socalhogcaller

Quote from: elksnort on January 27, 2008, 02:37:16 pm
How many actual Razorbacks are in Arkansas?\
answer: none, they are in Australia

That's news to me.  I was always under the impression that true Razorbacks were Russian boars that escaped farms and became wild.  From my understanding they were common in the South until hunted to extinction.  I'd be interested in knowing the truth about it though.  However, I've never heard that they are in Australia.

hogzirra

Quote from: preach33 on January 29, 2008, 09:38:37 am
Here is something to think about gang - if the NCAA continues to get thier way on this issue - it will filter down to the high school level.

How many of our high schools in Arkansas have some sort of Native American mascot - right off hand

1. Pocahontas - Mohawks
2. Osceola - Seminoles
4. Pottsville - Apaches
5. Lamar - Warriors

are there some others

Here are a couple of interesting reads when it comes to the Indian Heritage in Jonesboro -http://www.jonesboro.org/History/History.htm

It's Pocahontas Redskins, Piggott is Mohawks
"The smell of fat chicks throws my spine out of place"

-David Bowie

AckaBacka

preach33

Quote from: hogzirra on January 29, 2008, 12:45:01 pm

It's Pocahontas Redskins, Piggott is Mohawks

Thank you for the correction - my bad

Wild Bill Hog

"Red Inks" to correspond to the financial impact of their athletic department?

MB Hog

Quote from: bao187 on January 27, 2008, 02:05:22 pm
how many Buccaneers have you seen in Tampa, or How many Tigers have you seen in Missouri a team does not hav to be named based off its location and surrounding Titans in Tennessee
Good point.  But thought I'd mention that Florida has an annual holiday called Gasparilla Day (at least they did when I was a kid).  On this day in Tampa, lots of local businessmen sail down a channel on pirate ships wearing pirate costumes.  They pass out souvenir gold coins and shell casings to the kids.  It's has to do with some kind of historical pirate event.  So Tampa actually has a little bit of history behind the naming of the football team.  Not trying to be a butt... just thought it was some interesting trivia.

MB Hog

Ex-Trumpet

I guess "Arkansas State Native Americans" is out?  Too politically correct?

BTW...when's Notre Dame gonna change their mascot?  As a European American of Irish descent, I'm offended by the notion that the Irish just drink, get drunk, fight, uh....never mind!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

bugo

Quote from: ke2743 on January 29, 2008, 09:36:30 am
seriously.. I'm 1/16 Cherokee, which basically means I'm nothing, but if I was native american I would be honored to have a college team named after me.  Or I just wouldn't care.  But those new names are stupid, no wonder everybody in Jonesboro cheers for the HOGS more than ASU. 
I have a friend here in Tulsa, he's 1/128th Cherokee, and he has a card to prove it.  He looks like a typical white cracker, but he identifies as a Native American.  Strange, I know. but hey, it's Oklahoma.

bugo

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: bugo on January 29, 2008, 05:58:19 pm
I have a friend here in Tulsa, he's 1/128th Cherokee, and he has a card to prove it.  He looks like a typical white cracker, but he identifies as a Native American.  Strange, I know. but hey, it's Oklahoma.

Saltine, or Ritz?  ;)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Rooka

Quote from: preach33 on January 29, 2008, 09:38:37 am

1. Pocahontas - Mohawks
2. Osceola - Seminoles
4. Pottsville - Apaches
5. Lamar - Warriors

are there some others

Add...

Nettleton Raiders
Westside Warriors
EPC Warriors

DrSwineESQ

January 29, 2008, 06:09:12 pm #177 Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:12:34 pm by DrSwineESQ
Quote from: socalhogcaller on January 29, 2008, 12:35:00 pm
That's news to me.  I was always under the impression that true Razorbacks were Russian boars that escaped farms and became wild.  From my understanding they were common in the South until hunted to extinction.  I'd be interested in knowing the truth about it though.  However, I've never heard that they are in Australia.

Maybe this is more information than you really want, but I love Arkansas folklore and legend, and much of it revolves around the Razorback.  Take the following with a grain of salt because I know folks who swear that Razorbacks still roam the hills of Arkansas and elsewhere, and I'm not wanting to debate procine anatomy here.  But as I understand it:  There are no swine native to North America, and it is believed that De Soto brought over the first European/Russian boars in the 16th century.  Those hogs were released and became the original "wild boars" of North America.   In time, some of them made it into the Ozark region and here they evolved differently than the "feral" hogs elsewhere.  In particular, the Ozark hogs grew taller and leaner as a response to the rough terrain and thick underbrush.  Their tusks became more pronounced and they developed a narrow ridge, covered in thick hair, down their spine.   Local Folklore is full of references to these beasts, they had a ferocious disposition.  Author Donald Harrington's book Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks, has a wonderful little tail featuring an 18th century encounter with a razorback—the tail is fiction, of course, but based on years of Harrington's research on Arkansas folklore, it's a great read. 

By the early 19th century, the Ozarks were being settled and the pioneers were coming face to face with the wild hogs, the true Razorbacks.  A lot of stories suggest that the hogs were more feared than wolves.   Whether the legends are true or not, I can't say, but a campaign to eradicate the hogs was begun.  Another old practice, that many are not aware of, may have had an impact on the true Ozark Razorbacks as well.   Farmers who settled the region brought their own hogs, of course, and while some escaped into the wild, it was a common practice for farmers to turn their domestic hogs loose to forage in the wild many months.   Those farmers would later capture the hogs in large pens to butcher or take to market.   As you can imagine, many of the "domesticated" hogs were not caught, they would turn feral and breed with the Razorbacks.  Historians suggest that the capture and release practice was abandoned by the depression, but I've read many accounts that say that "true" razorbacks were hunted to extinction and/or watered down by breeding with domestic hogs by the early 20th century.   

The wild hogs in Australia are not related to the classic "razorbacks" of the Ozarks, but many people claim that the Australian hogs are the closest thing to the beasts that once roamed the hills of Arkansas.   One thing might be a bit confusing, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission reports that wild hogs still roam its park lands, and it permits hunting "feral" hogs during hunting season.  They classify any hog as "feral" that has escaped captivity and survived on its own for more than 5 days--many incorrectly call these hogs "razorbacks", and likewise, most websites that advertise "razorback" hunting are talking about feral hogs, they simply apply the "razorback" name to liven things up a bit--and if you read the fine print on their webpages, that becomes clear.   It's probably safe to say the only "true" razorbacks now survive in legend. 

Sivad

secfan30

Quote from: DrSwineESQ on January 29, 2008, 06:09:12 pm
Maybe this is more information than you really want, but I love Arkansas folklore and legend, and much of it revolves around the Razorback.  Take the following with a grain of salt because I know folks who swear that Razorbacks still roam the hills of Arkansas and elsewhere, and I'm not wanting to debate procine anatomy here.  But as I understand it:  There are no swine native to North America, and it is believed that De Soto brought over the first European/Russian boars in the 16th century.  Those hogs were released and became the original “wild boars” of North America.   In time, some of them made it into the Ozark region and here they evolved differently than the “feral” hogs elsewhere.  In particular, the Ozark hogs grew taller and leaner as a response to the rough terrain and thick underbrush.  Their tusks became more pronounced and they developed a narrow ridge, covered in thick hair, down their spine.   Local Folklore is full of references to these beasts, they had a ferocious disposition.  Author Donald Harrington’s book Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks, has a wonderful little tail featuring an 18th century encounter with a razorback—the tail is fiction, of course, but based on years of Harrington’s research on Arkansas folklore, it’s a great read. 

By the early 19th century, the Ozarks were being settled and the pioneers were coming face to face with the wild hogs, the true Razorbacks.  A lot of stories suggest that the hogs were more feared than wolves.   Whether the legends are true or not, I can’t say, but a campaign to eradicate the hogs was begun.  Another old practice, that many are not aware of, may have had an impact on the true Ozark Razorbacks as well.   Farmers who settled the region brought their own hogs, of course, and while some escaped into the wild, it was a common practice for farmers to turn their domestic hogs loose to forage in the wild many months.   Those farmers would later capture the hogs in large pens to butcher or take to market.   As you can imagine, many of the “domesticated” hogs were not caught, they would turn feral and breed with the Razorbacks.  Historians suggest that the capture and release practice was abandoned by the depression, but I’ve read many accounts that say that “true” razorbacks were hunted to extinction and/or watered down by breeding with domestic hogs by the early 20th century.   

The wild hogs in Australia are not related to the classic “razorbacks” of the Ozarks, but many people claim that the Australian hogs are the closest thing to the beasts that once roamed the hills of Arkansas.   One thing might be a bit confusing, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission reports that wild hogs still roam its park lands, and it permits hunting “feral” hogs during hunting season.  They classify any hog as “feral” that has escaped captivity and survived on its own for more than 5 days--many incorrectly call these hogs "razorbacks", and likewise, most websites that advertise “razorback” hunting are talking about feral hogs, they simply apply the “razorback” name to liven things up a bit--and if you read the fine print on their webpages, that becomes clear.   It’s probably safe to say the only “true” razorbacks now survive in legend. 

I find these things interesting. Thank You for taking the time to type it all out and share this with the rest of us. +1

DrSwineESQ

Thanks, and you're welcome, I really love this stuff--besides, the "Razorback" is the best mascot in college sports. 

CORZRBACKFAN

First, ASU embarrassed the state by pulling a circus stunt name change in the face of BS political correctness. Now all they can come up with is a train, a moonshine runner (or worse, a hippie), and an animal on the verge of extinction because it was known to be timid and weak? Brilliant....
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

rhinohog84

They should have stuck w/ the mosquitos.  They are annoying and get killed.

Dr Swineglove

January 29, 2008, 10:51:01 pm #183 Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:09:55 pm by Dr Swineglove
Quote from: socalhogcaller on January 29, 2008, 12:35:00 pm

Razorbacks are (were) descended from domesticated pigs that escaped from the De Soto expedition when Arkansas was first explored by Europeans, circa 1550 CE.  They went feral and developed into the 'wild' Razorbacks of yore.  Basically, any 'razorback' is to a domesticated pig what a mustang is to a horse - it's just a name for the feral form of a domesticated species.  Therefor razorbacks, obviously, have not really gone extinct in the same sense, that say, the mastodon, the Dodo bird or the passenger pigeon are extinct.

The word 'Razorback' can be used generically to mean any feral pig; this is where the Aussie usage of the word comes from.  Technically, any feral pig is a Razorback, but an "Arkansas Razorback" is specifically descended from De Soto's swine herd - their genetic lineage certainly lives on in domesticated pig stock, and feral pigs are still found in nineteen US states (ironically, the largest population of razorbacks is found in Texas).  So, no, razorbacks are not extinct, but the current living varieties of feral pig found in Arkansas today probably owe more genetically to modern breeds other than to those of the De Soto expedition.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

socalhogcaller

You truly are the Dr. of Swine...thanks for the insight.  Nice to know that the Razorbacks are infesting texass. +1

preach33

KARN news in Little Rock this morning had a brief interview with an official from ASU and he confirmed the following mascots

1. Red Wolves
2. Ridge Runners
3. Express.

WOW that is the best those folks would come up with.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: The Lemming on January 27, 2008, 02:13:03 pm
Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they weren't here. They used to be very widespread throughout the southeast before they were targeted for extermination. Arkansas held a very high population of red wolves.

he, if they're gonna have a mascot that they targeted for extermination, they should just stay with indians...

Rooka

Quote from: preach33 on January 30, 2008, 09:52:46 am
KARN news in Little Rock this morning had a brief interview with an official from ASU and he confirmed the following mascots

1. Red Wolves
2. Ridge Runners
3. Express.

WOW that is the best those folks would come up with.
Without offending someone, yes.

HogNuttz

January 30, 2008, 11:41:04 am #188 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:45:03 am by HogNuttz
Should've been rice birds.  It captures two aspects of the local culture.

Where have I heard rice birds before?  Is that the name of a high school or small college mascot in Arkansas?

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on January 29, 2008, 10:51:01 pm
Razorbacks are (were) descended from domesticated pigs that escaped from the De Soto expedition when Arkansas was first explored by Europeans, circa 1550 CE.  They went feral and developed into the 'wild' Razorbacks of yore.  Basically, any 'razorback' is to a domesticated pig what a mustang is to a horse - it's just a name for the feral form of a domesticated species.  Therefor razorbacks, obviously, have not really gone extinct in the same sense, that say, the mastodon, the Dodo bird or the passenger pigeon are extinct.

The word 'Razorback' can be used generically to mean any feral pig; this is where the Aussie usage of the word comes from.  Technically, any feral pig is a Razorback, but an "Arkansas Razorback" is specifically descended from De Soto's swine herd - their genetic lineage certainly lives on in domesticated pig stock, and feral pigs are still found in nineteen US states (ironically, the largest population of razorbacks is found in Texas).  So, no, razorbacks are not extinct, but the current living varieties of feral pig found in Arkansas today probably owe more genetically to modern breeds other than to those of the De Soto expedition.

But not so ironically, the modern texan "razorbacks" are actually causing lots of problems for certain farmers.

Thanks for the edumakation.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

preach33

Quote from: HogNuttz on January 30, 2008, 11:41:04 am
Should've been rice birds.  It captures two aspects of the local culture.

Where have I heard rice birds before?  Is that the name of a high school or small college mascot in Arkansas?

But not so ironically, the modern texan "razorbacks" are actually causing lots of problems for certain farmers.

Thanks for the edumakation.

Stuttgart High  - Ricebirds

hogginuplittlerock

for all those interested i just got a call from my buddy who lives and goes to asu and he said the board voted today and they are recommeding to their chancellors that they become the 'wolves' and they leave up to the chancellor about whether to add 'red' or not

darth sooie

January 30, 2008, 01:22:50 pm #191 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:27:48 pm by darth sooie
Maybe instead of red they could go with big bad. I still like the idea a-state cans nutt this year and hires nolan, he is only 66 but neither are probably interested in that happening.

softballguy8

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on January 27, 2008, 02:01:34 pm
How many red wolves have you seen in northeast arkansas???

How many Razorbacks are in Arkansas? Think about it ....
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

TLFHAWG

Sounds like the new mascot will be Wolves.  This is being reported by KAIT in Jonesboro.  GO HOGS

chiefsfan

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on January 29, 2008, 07:55:10 pm
First, ASU embarrassed the state by pulling a circus stunt name change in the face of BS political correctness. Now all they can come up with is a train, a moonshine runner (or worse, a hippie), and an animal on the verge of extinction because it was known to be timid and weak? Brilliant....

we didnt have a choice.  we stood to lose millions of dollars in possible revenue if we didnt change the name
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

RazorBassin

Hope they at least go with the Red Wolves.

BartIV

Please God, go with Red wolves.
I just can't support the Arkansas State Ridgerunners or the
Arkansas State Express Train

TLFHAWG

The Chancellor and the Board of Trustees still need to do a vote to approve the committee's recommendation and they have the option of adding Red to the Wolves.

OneLoneHogAmidstTheSteers

Don't forget, "Terry Tate: Office Linebacker"

"THE PAIN TRAIN IS COMING BABY! THE PAIN TRAIN!!!"  :D
Truth does not become error just because nobody believes it.
-Gandhi

We either make ourselves miserable or we
make ourselves strong.  The amount of work
is the same.

-don Juan Matus
as quoted by Carlos Castaneda

Scaife

The Arkansas State Lumber Mills!

We're bringing the wood, baby!