Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

was in Jonesboro today

Started by slopinhogs, June 28, 2007, 09:59:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

First you say the Fayetteville campus is just like any other school with regard to athletics. Then it's been self sufficent since joining the SEC. Now it's that the U of A had to "start somewhere."
How far are we going to go back ? 1894 ?
The fact is athletics at A-State costs the taxpayers of this state money every year.
Athletics at the U of A gives money back to the state every year.

Kicking Wing

1.  Every public university is built on public land and the athletic departments arose out of the operations of those public insitutions.  That applies to UA and every public school.

2.  The UA took the taxpayer transfer until joining the SEC.  That is plain and simple.  It was taxpayer money.  No matter how Rick Schaeffer tries to spin it, UA and the other state schools (even thier athletic departments) are public state institutions.  Don't agree?  Why do you think they couldn't keep Houston's phone records private?

3.  Yes, I do want to go back to 1894 because that's when it all started.  It is very relevant.

4.  The FACT is that ASU, UCA, Henderson St. SAU, etc. all cost the taxpayers money every year.  So do their bands, drama clubs and so on.  For the first 100 years or close to it, UA cost them money directly as well.  Now, UA is among the elite and doesn't need it anymore. That doesn't mean it is time to cut off the spigot everywhere else.

I'll send you a bill and feel free to PM me next time you need information.

Kodiak

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 29, 2007, 06:27:51 pm

why can't Arkansas play ASU?

"Don't Wanna?"
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Kodiak

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 09:12:26 pm

1.  Every public university is built on public land and the athletic departments arose out of the operations of those public insitutions.  That applies to UA and every public school.

2.  The UA took the taxpayer transfer until joining the SEC.  That is plain and simple.  It was taxpayer money.  No matter how Rick Schaeffer tries to spin it, UA and the other state schools (even thier athletic departments) are public state institutions.  Don't agree?  Why do you think they couldn't keep Houston's phone records private?

3.  Yes, I do want to go back to 1894 because that's when it all started.  It is very relevant.

4.  The FACT is that ASU, UCA, Henderson St. SAU, etc. all cost the taxpayers money every year.  So do their bands, drama clubs and so on.  For the first 100 years or close to it, UA cost them money directly as well.  Now, UA is among the elite and doesn't need it anymore. That doesn't mean it is time to cut off the spigot everywhere else.

I'll send you a bill and feel free to PM me next time you need information.

With that attitude you will be writing checks to several members of this board. Just relax and enjoy the board and stop acting like a little newbie.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

mikeirwin

He made an incorrect statement on how athletics is funded at the U of A's Fayetteville campus and he's been backtracking with each post.
Yep he's right, All land grant colleges began with funding from the state.
Of course athletics didn't exist back then but what the heck.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Proud graduate (1993) of ASU.  Lifetime Member of the ASU Alumni Association.

During my tenure at ASU (1988-1993), I went to a sum total of 4 football games - 2 in Jonesboro and 2 in Oxford, Mississippi.

During that same period of time, I attended EVERY Razorback game in Little Rock and one in Jackson, Mississippi (the week after watching ASU in Oxford).  As a matter of fact, from 1977 to 1993, I attended all the Little Rock games and a handful of Fayetteville games.

I grew up a Hog fan, but chose to attend ASU for the Radio/TV program and a better academic scholarship than what I could get at U of A.  I root for both teams, but if they ever play, I will be cheering on the Razorbacks.

I travel all over Northeast Arkansas with my job, and have noticed an upswing in ASU clothing, bumper stickers, and license plates.  That being said, there is MUCH more Razorback stuff visible, and I think it pretty safe to assume it will always be that way.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

SteelShot

Quote from: rlamb on June 29, 2007, 01:57:46 am
To see that attire is not unusual at all in Jonesboro as if you go to the big local gym,
The Trim Gym, you'll see as much Tennessee, Michigan, Miami, and Texas attire as
Razorback. The ASU logo is almost non-existant there.

The trim gym in Jonesboro used to have a whole differnt meaning when I was in college at UA, but I guess that would be a subject for the Tavern. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

SteelShot

Quote from: gostAte on June 29, 2007, 07:36:06 am
Quote from: The Boar War on June 29, 2007, 07:29:08 am
Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 29, 2007, 02:20:11 am
There are many more Hog fans in J-town than A-state fans.  All you need to do is pay attention to the ratio of Hog to Indian vanity plates to understand it.

Many more Hog fans.

This is one of the arguments I have against the UofA/ASU game.  Could ASU ever have a home advantage?  I went to Arkansas and I might have a biased view but I can't see a majority of ASU fans rooting against Arkansas.

Not tryin to get in a pissin match with you guys but... I think it's safe to say we can easily establish a homefield/court advantage and have recently when playing your womens basketball team.

There are plenty of hog fans in Jonesboro but to say they're the majority would be a stretch.

Woman's B-ball, most hogs fans would have rather stayed home and watched their grass grow, as I think most did.  ( I know ASU fans went to see the braves beat the mighty hogs so this does pertain to them)
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

Foots

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 08:58:19 pm
I will take a test against you any day of the week in any subject.  UA has always been the big dog in the state and that will never change.  They have always been very solid financially as well, but you can't seriously argue that joining the SEC didn't put them in another stratosphere economically.  It is a FACT that they didn't become completely self sufficient until joining the SEC.  Of course, their history and leadership helped them get the invitation in the first place.

I have seen the numbers as well and I routinely talk to people that no more about this subject than both of us combined times ten.

Even UA had to start somewhere and that was with taxpayer money.  I don't see where it really matters anyway since even at schools like ASU the athletic budget is a very tiny percentage of the overall budget, yet produces more exposure than the other programs.  It's the "front porch" of a university and well worth the money.

It's called history.  Look at the whole picture and not just the way things are now.  

How about an English test?

Buck Brewer

Please if your going to refer to Ron's add the rest of the title to it, some long time NWAers may get things confused with another place that had crablegs on Fri nite.

I spent two years at ASU before I transfered to the U of A, I don't care if ASU has quadrupled fan support its just a tick on an elephants butt to what the U of A enjoys, I just don't see the upside of playing the Sisters of the Poor much less making it a Money game for ASU. I'm sure it'll happen  when Frank's gone, Heck Van Horn will be the first to call ASU, he tried it when he was first hired and ASU's coach informed him of the policy.

Poole in Volleyball would be interesting since we hired him away from ASU.

This opens up other games in sports like BKB and Baseball with UALR even UAPB in BKB. When does UCA go D-1 in BKB

ExArky

My diploma says Arkansas State University so that's who I would pull for if ASU and UA play.

I know if I had a daughter who was an athlete I wouldn't want her to go to UA based on the continuous belittling and degrading of women's athletics I see on this message board. That's not the mark of a truly big-time, progressive university athletic program, and I hope it doesn't truly reflect the mindset of Arkansas' flagship state university, which UA is. If you want to criticize ASU for overemphasizing one WNIT game against UA, that's fair game, but please don't belittle your own female student athletes in the process.

Virginia, where I live now, is not a perfect state, but I have seen here how even universities who are fierce rivals (Virginia, Virginia Tech) pull the rope in the same direction on the political level to get things done for higher education. Arkansas is a prosperous state with a lot of economic power nationally and internationally. It's time to dump all the mindsets of the 1950s. Arkansas has room for more than 1 major state university. UA is the flagship, and always will be, but it would help the state's image overall if ASU, UCA, etc. move up a level or two academically and athletically. And a little competition on the field or the court isn't gonna hurt anybody in the long run. If it does, what was there wasn't too strong to start with.

pughog

Quote from: rlamb on June 29, 2007, 01:57:46 am
To see that attire is not unusual at all in Jonesboro as if you go to the big local gym,
The Trim Gym, you'll see as much Tennessee, Michigan, Miami, and Texas attire as
Razorback. The ASU logo is almost non-existant there.
What time do you go? Mostly hog fans. you may get a doctor every once in a while that sports his schools colors but most of them that graduated elsewhere are hog fans that i know.

FayettenamVeteran

June 29, 2007, 11:16:09 pm #62 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:18:58 pm by FayettenamVeteran
Quote from: ExArky on June 29, 2007, 11:01:30 pm
My diploma says Arkansas State University so that's who I would pull for if ASU and UA play.

I know if I had a daughter who was an athlete I wouldn't want her to go to UA based on the continuous belittling and degrading of women's athletics I see on this message board. That's not the mark of a truly big-time, progressive university athletic program, and I hope it doesn't truly reflect the mindset of Arkansas' flagship state university, which UA is. If you want to criticize ASU for overemphasizing one WNIT game against UA, that's fair game, but please don't belittle your own female student athletes in the process.

Virginia, where I live now, is not a perfect state, but I have seen here how even universities who are fierce rivals (Virginia, Virginia Tech) pull the rope in the same direction on the political level to get things done for higher education. Arkansas is a prosperous state with a lot of economic power nationally and internationally. It's time to dump all the mindsets of the 1950s. Arkansas has room for more than 1 major state university. UA is the flagship, and always will be, but it would help the state's image overall if ASU, UCA, etc. move up a level or two academically and athletically. And a little competition on the field or the court isn't gonna hurt anybody in the long run. If it does, what was there wasn't too strong to start with.

There is no belittling of women's athletics.  Does it get poked at, sure it does.  The men's teams do too here at Hogville if you haven't noticed from your Virginian perch.  

If and when you get a daughter and you are checking out where to send her to college, go through each D1 school's message board roster and find the one's that even mention women's athletics and pare it down.  Then of the ones that even mention them, find those that have a forum devoted to women's athletics ( Hogville does ), then find one that has a prominent member of the women's program as an admin / mod ( Hogville does ).  We do more and give more of a forum than what you'll find almost anywhere.  Hopefully you weren't serious about deciding on colleges based on message boards anyway....if you were, your daughter needs to get the Hell out of your house as soon as possible as you are ATE UP.    

You may have moved to the land of the great and intelligent Thomas Jefferson, but you took all of your Jonesboogie Tech, Arkansas dumbass with you when you left.  

ASWho?  What's the mascot over there now anyway?    

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: Foots on June 29, 2007, 10:10:32 pm
Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 08:58:19 pm
I will take a test against you any day of the week in any subject.  UA has always been the big dog in the state and that will never change.  They have always been very solid financially as well, but you can't seriously argue that joining the SEC didn't put them in another stratosphere economically.  It is a FACT that they didn't become completely self sufficient until joining the SEC.  Of course, their history and leadership helped them get the invitation in the first place.

I have seen the numbers as well and I routinely talk to people that no more about this subject than both of us combined times ten.

Even UA had to start somewhere and that was with taxpayer money.  I don't see where it really matters anyway since even at schools like ASU the athletic budget is a very tiny percentage of the overall budget, yet produces more exposure than the other programs.  It's the "front porch" of a university and well worth the money.

It's called history.  Look at the whole picture and not just the way things are now.  

How about an English test?

And, a, lesson, in, the, use, of, commas.  Where to use commas and where not to use commas is lost on the majority of the population anyway because they do not know they english cause they be crazy as a mug and do not give no thought to no comma you no what I am does be talking about in this post FOOTS,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: gostAte on June 29, 2007, 07:36:06 amI think it's safe to say we can easily establish a homefield/court advantage and have recently when playing your womens basketball team.

Where some of your students desecrated the state flag.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 29, 2007, 02:20:11 am
There are many more Hog fans in J-town than A-state fans.  All you need to do is pay attention to the ratio of Hog to Indian vanity plates to understand it.

Many more Hog fans.

Hell, it's like that on campus there.

latech_pilot

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 29, 2007, 06:27:51 pm
Quote from: strawhog on June 29, 2007, 05:48:44 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on June 29, 2007, 05:36:28 pm
The word I get is that when Frank steps down it's only a matter of time until Ark-ASU becomes an annual game in LR.
There is a possibility it could be semi annual, played in the years that the LSU game is in Baton Rouge.
I don't see how this could be anything but negative for the UofA.  The Hogs have nothing to gain and everything to lose whereas ASU has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If all the college hockey teams in Boston can come together to play the Beanpot tournament each year, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

If Colorado can play Colorado State every year in a packed Broncos stadium, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

If Florida State can play both Florida and Miami, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

Exactly,

If LSU can play Louisiana Tech, Tulane, and ULL; why can't Arkansas play ASU?

I graduated from Louisiana Tech and wore my Hog stuff all the time. I got more crap from the overwhelming LSU support on campus. Now, there were a few die-hard Tech fans that hated LSU (just some ASU fans hate ARK). I remember when LSU played Tech a couple years back, Tech students when to the game and cheered for LSU, but I can't judge, if Arkansas played Tech I would have to cheer for the Hogs. Always and forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Hawg Marshal

I've lived in Jonesboro all my life. Its true there has been an upswing recently regarding local support for ASU. But it still lags way behind the love of the Hogs. Just this morning I had to run some errands around town, I thought of this thread and decided to pay close attention to see just how many signs of support I could see for each side. I know this is not scientific and hardly definitive but here is what I saw in about an hours time.
Razorback items-15
ASU-8
St. Louis Cardinals-4
Cowboys-2
Steelers-1
Braves-1
I also saw several Nascar plates, John Deere plates and American Flag plates. Take this for what its worth.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on June 30, 2007, 12:49:37 am
When Jonesboro High proves it can beat UCA, I'll be glad to let them play the hogs.  Until then, I don't think the Hogs should so much as listen to Jonesboro High.

UCA wins that game, one out of every three years minimum.

Pigeoneer

you don't know what you're talking about.  The state funds designated for athletics didn't even start until the 80's & the UA took it but quit after just a few years.  It used the money mainly because it helped pay for women's sports.  The football program at the UA has made a profit since at least the 1930's & it paid for basketball which also at least paid most of its way.  There were almost no other sports to speak of then.  A few people ran track & played baseball & they lost money.  Every facility at the UA including Barnhill was paid for directly from revenue from the ath dept. Originally RS was built with WPA funds in about 1934 but that was a different time & only cost about $10,000. Barnhill had a bond issue but the AD revenue retired that.  You can talk about going back to 1894.  Nobody knows what happened then but there's no way to even compare those days when a professor or two also coached football & basketball.  By 1948 the state built WMS because the Razorbacks were so popular all over the state they were even filling up Quigley Stadium.  The UA paid rent on it.  More people were going to Razorback games in 1948 than go to ASU games now.  They paid about the same price for tickets then that ASU charges now, too. 

ASU football is the biggest loser of all.  It loses more money every year than every other sport at ASU combinded & none of them make money.  You're just trying to act like the UA used to use tax money for its sports because you think it justifies all the money you waste at ASU.

Buck Brewer

Don't forget the Hogs used to fill up old Crump Stadium in Memphis as well, drew capacity when they played Ole Miss there.

hathcoat

I have a big secret...... Nobody cares about ASU!