Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

was in Jonesboro today

Started by slopinhogs, June 28, 2007, 09:59:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slopinhogs

and my wife and i went to Ron's catfish house to eat dinner and the place was full of young men wearing red arkansas and raszorback and Hog t shirts. all the guys were around 25 to 30 and were a quiet bunch :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

rlamb

To see that attire is not unusual at all in Jonesboro as if you go to the big local gym,
The Trim Gym, you'll see as much Tennessee, Michigan, Miami, and Texas attire as
Razorback. The ASU logo is almost non-existant there.

Albert Einswine

There are many more Hog fans in J-town than A-state fans.  All you need to do is pay attention to the ratio of Hog to Indian vanity plates to understand it.

Many more Hog fans.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

The Boar War

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 29, 2007, 02:20:11 am
There are many more Hog fans in J-town than A-state fans.  All you need to do is pay attention to the ratio of Hog to Indian vanity plates to understand it.

Many more Hog fans.

This is one of the arguments I have against the UofA/ASU game.  Could ASU ever have a home advantage?  I went to Arkansas and I might have a biased view but I can't see a majority of ASU fans rooting against Arkansas.

gostAte

June 29, 2007, 07:36:06 am #4 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:41:40 am by gostAte
Quote from: The Boar War on June 29, 2007, 07:29:08 am

Many more Hog fans.

This is one of the arguments I have against the UofA/ASU game.  Could ASU ever have a home advantage?  I went to Arkansas and I might have a biased view but I can't see a majority of ASU fans rooting against Arkansas.

Not tryin to get in a pissin match with you guys but... I think it's safe to say we can easily establish a homefield/court advantage and have recently when playing your womens basketball team.

There are plenty of hog fans in Jonesboro but to say they're the majority would be a stretch.

claycohog

I have 1 thing to say.  WOMENS BASKETBALL!  Sorry, gostate, I don't think that would be the case if the men would have shown up in Jonesboro for any of the 3 major sports.

gostAte

Quote from: claycohog on June 29, 2007, 07:41:24 am
I have 1 thing to say.  WOMENS BASKETBALL!  Sorry, gostate, I don't think that would be the case if the men would have shown up in Jonesboro for any of the 3 major sports.

Exactly, if we sell out the convocation center with ASU fans for womens basketball. Think about how many would be there for a mens game.

The Boar War

June 29, 2007, 07:46:16 am #7 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:48:01 am by The Boar War
Quote from: gostAte on June 29, 2007, 07:36:06 am

Many more Hog fans.

Not tryin to get in a pissin match with you guys but... I think it's safe to say we can easily establish a homefield/court advantage and have recently when playing your womens basketball team. It's safe to say that out of the sell out crowd at the convocation center, (about 10,000) 2-300 were hog fans.

There are plenty of hog fans in Jonesboro but to say they're the majority would be a stretch.

I understand but the Arkansas girls basketball program has not been followed and obsessed over by fans in the Jonesboro area for the past couple of generations.  Most ASU fans I know are also Arkansas fans (at least in the big 2 sports).  Take yourself for example.  You support ASU and yet you are on a hogs website at 7 in the morning.  Please don't think that I believe there is anything wrong with that but the opposite for the most part cannot be said.  Its not that Arkansas fans don't like ASU its just that the two schools have operated independently for so long that I doubt they will ever be able to establish a rivalry.

gostAte

June 29, 2007, 08:27:55 am #8 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:31:00 am by gostAte
Quote from: The Boar War on June 29, 2007, 07:46:16 am

Many more Hog fans.

Not tryin to get in a pissin match with you guys but... I think it's safe to say we can easily establish a homefield/court advantage and have recently when playing your womens basketball team. It's safe to say that out of the sell out crowd at the convocation center, (about 10,000) 2-300 were hog fans.

I understand but the Arkansas girls basketball program has not been followed and obsessed over by fans in the Jonesboro area for the past couple of generations.  Most ASU fans I know are also Arkansas fans (at least in the big 2 sports).  Take yourself for example.  You support ASU and yet you are on a hogs website at 7 in the morning.  Please don't think that I believe there is anything wrong with that but the opposite for the most part cannot be said.  Its not that Arkansas fans don't like ASU its just that the two schools have operated independently for so long that I doubt they will ever be able to establish a rivalry.

From the looks of things, there are about as many ASU posters on this board as Hog posters on ASU's fan board (very few). I don't waste my time hating any school (or anybody) and I really don't care if ASU and Arkansas ever play. I just like to talk sports.

strawhog

Many more Hog fans.

Not tryin to get in a pissin match with you guys but... I think it's safe to say we can easily establish a homefield/court advantage and have recently when playing your womens basketball team.

Being from NEA and an Astate alum I would have to disagree with you. In the 6 years I spent at ASU it was obvious to me that the Hogs are the favorite at ASU and NEA.  Sure there are a few hardcore Indian fans that hate the hogs but the majority of people are Hog fans.  Walking around campus and being around Jonesboro you see alot more Hog apparel than you do ASU attire.  I had a professor who told me that I couldn't wear anything with a Razorback on it to class.  I keep wearing my hat and various Razorback shirts and he kept bitching but that was the extent of it.  If you would listen to the local radio shows especially this last season with all the drama it would be consumed by Razorback talk with Astate getting nothing more than a quick summary of the previous weekend's game.   Also whenever the Hogs had a big home game or played at War Memorial you could see a drastic drop in attendance at an Astate game.

strawhog

Quote from: slopinhogs on June 28, 2007, 09:59:54 pm
and my wife and i went to Ron's catfish house to eat dinner and the place was full of young men wearing red arkansas and raszorback and Hog t shirts. all the guys were around 25 to 30 and were a quiet bunch :razorback:
By the way Ron's is a great place to eat especially on Friday night when they have crab legs.

dfresh

Many more Hog fans.

I was raised in Jonesboro and graduated from ASU.  I will always support the Indians (or whatever they are now) But the majority of Jonesboro are Hog Fans.  If you drive 20 miles north to Paragould I'd say Hog fans out number Indians 5-1. And thats less than 20 minutes from the campus.  ASU screwed up by making the move to division I.  Lacewell knew it and he got the hell outta town.

ejay572

Quote from: strawhog on June 29, 2007, 08:33:49 am

Many more Hog fans.

Being from NEA and an Astate alum I would have to disagree with you. In the 6 years I spent at ASU it was obvious to me that the Hogs are the favorite at ASU and NEA.  Sure there are a few hardcore Indian fans that hate the hogs but the majority of people are Hog fans.  Walking around campus and being around Jonesboro you see alot more Hog apparel than you do ASU attire.  I had a professor who told me that I couldn't wear anything with a Razorback on it to class.  I keep wearing my hat and various Razorback shirts and he kept bitching but that was the extent of it.  If you would listen to the local radio shows especially this last season with all the drama it would be consumed by Razorback talk with Astate getting nothing more than a quick summary of the previous weekend's game.   Also whenever the Hogs had a big home game or played at War Memorial you could see a drastic drop in attendance at an Astate game.

What years did you attend ASU?

strawhog

Quote from: ejay572 on June 29, 2007, 08:53:47 am

Many more Hog fans.

Being from NEA and an Astate alum I would have to disagree with you. In the 6 years I spent at ASU it was obvious to me that the Hogs are the favorite at ASU and NEA.  Sure there are a few hardcore Indian fans that hate the hogs but the majority of people are Hog fans.  Walking around campus and being around Jonesboro you see alot more Hog apparel than you do ASU attire.  I had a professor who told me that I couldn't wear anything with a Razorback on it to class.  I keep wearing my hat and various Razorback shirts and he kept bitching but that was the extent of it.  If you would listen to the local radio shows especially this last season with all the drama it would be consumed by Razorback talk with Astate getting nothing more than a quick summary of the previous weekend's game.   Also whenever the Hogs had a big home game or played at War Memorial you could see a drastic drop in attendance at an Astate game.

What years did you attend ASU?
01 till this previous may

gostAte

Many more Hog fans.

Things have changed at ASU over the last 4-5 years. Your statement may have been true when you were at ASU but is no longer. To say so now is inaccurate.

Being native to Jonesboro, I have witnessed more growth in ASU's fan base and student involvement, than ever before during this time.

Newport Hog

I went to ASU from 2001 to 2006: Yea a know pretty long LOL, but most of the time Hog ran on Campus.  You will have the guys from out of state ask why you suport the Hogs but are at the ASU campus and I have to let them know how Arkansas is so to speak. UA is the main campus in this state for good or bad!!!!  Now there are a few die hard Indian fans that hate the Hogs and the UA but most of them come from extreme North East Arkansas Piggot,Rector,West Memphis,Missippi County, and South east Mizzouri.n  I live in Jonesboro for more than 5 years and JB is a Hog town make no mistake about it.

Newport Hog

To live in Jonesboro and say im an Indian fan and an Indian fan only is like to say hey I shop at Kmart and I wouldnt dare to shop at Target or Walmart LOL. I  mean come on lol lets be real here.  Something wrong with ya if your supportting the ASU over the UA.

hogsailor

I believe there is some sort of baseball tournament there this weekend.

A guy from work is taking his son there this morning to register.

88 kids from the state are picked to play while recruters from colleges all over the country watch on.

His son was the only one to be picked from Fort Smith and the kid didn't think it was any big deal.

Teenagers.... ::)

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

HogNuttz

Many more Hog fans.

I have family and friends in Jonesboro.  I don't know one that would root for stAte if they played the Hogs.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

bucknasty

Quote from: strawhog on June 29, 2007, 08:37:13 am
By the way Ron's is a great place to eat especially on Friday night when they have crab legs.

Ron?

Ouachihog

Quote from: gostAte on June 29, 2007, 09:02:13 am

Many more Hog fans.

Things have changed at ASU over the last 4-5 years. Your statement may have been true when you were at ASU but is no longer. To say so now is inaccurate.

Being native to Jonesboro, I have witnessed more growth in ASU's fan base and student involvement, than ever before during this time.

Though it may be growing, we are still talking about a football fan base that has never filled its stadium to capacity.  The largest average attendance for a football season ever at ASU was in 2006 at 17,882 per game.  That is 53% of capacity.  You still have plenty of room to grow. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

HOG02

June 29, 2007, 10:44:06 am #21 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:46:35 am by HOG02

Many more Hog fans.

I love the comparison.  Women's basketball attendance to Men's College Football. 

oldtimerhog

Could it have been Dickie Nutt and his family?
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: Newport Hog on June 29, 2007, 09:02:38 am
I went to ASU from 2001 to 2006: Yea a know pretty long LOL, but most of the time Hog ran on Campus.  You will have the guys from out of state ask why you suport the Hogs but are at the ASU campus and I have to let them know how Arkansas is so to speak. UA is the main campus in this state for good or bad!!!!  Now there are a few die hard Indian fans that hate the Hogs and the UA but most of them come from extreme North East Arkansas Piggot,Rector,West Memphis,Missippi County, and South east Mizzouri.n  I live in Jonesboro for more than 5 years and JB is a Hog town make no mistake about it.

:razorback:

I'm from Piggott and I know I'm not the only Hog Fan here.  There is a lot of us.........

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

slopinhogs

i live in Piggott as well on west court st to be exact the second house across the bridge on the right next door to Bob G.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: slopinhogs on June 29, 2007, 01:47:19 pm
i live in Piggott as well on west court st to be exact the second house across the bridge on the right next door to Bob G.

S.12th Ave. and Wiley Dr.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

10thPlanet

Until they play I can root for all Arkansas Colleges.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: gostAte on June 29, 2007, 07:45:10 am

Exactly, if we sell out the convocation center with ASU fans for womens basketball. Think about how many would be there for a mens game.

But you don't sell out for women's basketball and in fact lost money on the UA/ASU women's game.  Who pays for the athletic dept budget deficit you guys run every year - taxpayers, maybe?  Bet an FOIA of ASU's athletic program finances would be most enlightening.

ExArky

I grew up in Jonesboro and graduated ASU, parents still live there. My guess is that about half the town roots for both ASU and UA, 20 percent are hard-core Hog fans that dislike ASU, and 10 percent are hardcore ASU fans who hate UA. The other 20 percent don't care about either or root for other teams.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ExArky on June 29, 2007, 05:24:00 pm
I grew up in Jonesboro and graduated ASU, parents still live there. My guess is that about half the town roots for both ASU and UA, 20 percent are hard-core Hog fans that dislike ASU, and 10 percent are hardcore ASU fans who hate UA. The other 20 percent don't care about either or root for other teams.

That's a pretty fair assessment.  While driving around town or shopping the mall you'll see a solid majority of folks will represent the Razorbacks (ball caps, vanity plates, T-shirts, etc...) over the team formerly known as the Indians.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

mikeirwin

The word I get is that when Frank steps down it's only a matter of time until Ark-ASU becomes an annual game in LR.
There is a possibility it could be semi annual, played in the years that the LSU game is in Baton Rouge.

strawhog

I dont know if anyone else has seen them but I have seen alot of license plates that say "House Divided" and have a Razorback on one half and an Indian on the other.  Call me an oddball but my wife and I are both ASU alumni and if asked we both would say that we support the Hogs instead of ASU. For what its worth both of our vechiles proudly display a Razorback on the front.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 29, 2007, 05:36:28 pm
The word I get is that when Frank steps down it's only a matter of time until Ark-ASU becomes an annual game in LR.
There is a possibility it could be semi annual, played in the years that the LSU game is in Baton Rouge.

They'll get tired of it fairly soon, I believe.

strawhog

I don't see how this could be anything but negative for the UofA.  The Hogs have nothing to gain and everything to lose whereas ASU has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

ExArky

June 29, 2007, 05:51:08 pm #34 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:54:51 pm by ExArky
The enmity that has developed over the years by some associated with ASU against UA really didn't start with athletics. It started in the 1960s when the UA powers fought efforts by Arkansas State College to become Arkansas State University.  Before that time, I don't think there was really any at all Arkansas State hatred toward UA, but that left a bad taste in a some Jonesboro-area people's mouths toward UA (even though ASU actually won that political battle). In the 1970s, with a couple of good ASU football teams and the UA policy not to schedule ASU, it crossed over into athletics and got more intense. The 1980s brought the Keith Lee incident that got ASU put on probation (UA turning in the Indians) and the UA-ASU NIT game in 1987 where ASU had a prime opportunity to change the whole scene if it could have held onto a 21-point lead in Barnhill. It's kind of simmered into the 1990s and 2000s, the women's NIT victory and UA's Sun Belt non-conference scheduling fueling it a little more.

A lot of folks in Jonesboro separate ASU the educational institution from ASU the athletic program. If you live in Jonesboro, there is no doubt that Arkansas State is the prime economic driver. Jonesboro is a prosperous, growing city ... not on the scale of NWA, but steadily growing ... and a lot of the industries that help it grow wouldn't be there without ASU's proximity. But for whatever reason, respect for ASU's importance academically and economically hasn't translated into widespread support of ASU athletics, though I agree with one of the earlier posters that it is a bit on the upswing recently.

My dad is like this: He appreciates ASU for the academic and scholarship opportunities it provided me to become the first college graduate in our family, but thinks the athletic program is a waste of money, and he was soured in the 1970s when he was an intense Hog fan and the radical Indian fans would belittle and berate him for that.

The Hawg Marshal

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on June 29, 2007, 02:27:43 pm

But you don't sell out for women's basketball and in fact lost money on the UA/ASU women's game.  Who pays for the athletic dept budget deficit you guys run every year - taxpayers, maybe?  Bet an FOIA of ASU's athletic program finances would be most enlightening.
You don't have a clue.  The taxpayers built EVERY athletic program in this state.  Some just got a much earlier start.  ASU is also not atypical for a D1 school outside of the big conferences.  ASU also has lower student athletic fees than some of the other football schools in the state outside of UA and takes no more from the taxpayers than any of those.

As to fans in JB, if you have been there in the past 5 years, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a car with an ASU plate or someone wearing ASU gear.  THere are a lot of hog fans since it IS in Arkansas, but it's night and day from 10 years ago.  I usually see about a 60-40 split in favor of ASU most days and there is more ASU stuff being worn on campus than ever before.  A lot of it has to do with ROberts and a lot has to do with the logo switch a couple of years ago.  It just looks a lot better.

Most of the fools on this thread must have their eyes closed when they drive or walk around.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 06:12:00 pm

You don't have a clue.  The taxpayers built EVERY athletic program in this state.  Some just got a much earlier start.  ASU is also not atypical for a D1 school outside of the big conferences.  ASU also has lower student athletic fees than some of the other football schools in the state outside of UA and takes no more from the taxpayers than any of those.

As to fans in JB, if you have been there in the past 5 years, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a car with an ASU plate or someone wearing ASU gear.  THere are a lot of hog fans since it IS in Arkansas, but it's night and day from 10 years ago.  I usually see about a 60-40 split in favor of ASU most days and there is more ASU stuff being worn on campus than ever before.  A lot of it has to do with ROberts and a lot has to do with the logo switch a couple of years ago.  It just looks a lot better.

Most of the fools on this thread must have their eyes closed when they drive or walk around.
Fools ?
I'd be careful with what you just wrote. The Razorbacks don't use tax dollars. Their athletic turnback funds from the state go to the Lady'Backs.
The only facility built with state money was PART of the Barnhill renovation in the late 70's.
Because of that Bill Clinton had the state of Arkansas pay for your basketball arena.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 29, 2007, 06:17:26 pm

Fools ?
I'd be careful with what you just wrote. The Razorbacks don't use tax dollars. Their athletic turnback funds from the state go to the Lady'Backs.
The only facility built with state money was PART of the Barnhill renovation in the late 70's.
Because of that Bill Clinton had the state of Arkansas pay for your basketball arena.
It's a joke.  Lighten up.  I am talking about the whole history.  UA took the same transfer as everyone else until they joined the rich SEC.  It's not accurate to act like all those decades don't count or that now that UA is self sufficient (more or less) then the rules should be changed for everyone else.

No college team built on a college campus can claim to be self made without heavy contribution from taxpayers.

strawhog

Fools?
Do you know what the average attendance was for an Astate football game last year?
Do you know what the attendance was on the days the Hogs played in LR or Deer Season open?
A foolish man would claim that 60% of Jonesboro or NEA would be an Arkansas State fan much less wearing "ASU gear" and, as far as the License plate issue goes its strange that I have been all over Jonesboro today and cant recall seeing one Indian license plate.

strawhog

June 29, 2007, 06:37:55 pm #40 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:29:54 pm by strawhog
Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 29, 2007, 06:27:51 pm
Quote from: strawhog on June 29, 2007, 05:48:44 pm
I don't see how this could be anything but negative for the UofA.  The Hogs have nothing to gain and everything to lose whereas ASU has nothing to loss and everything to gain.

If all the college hockey teams in Boston can come together to play the Beanpot tournament each year, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

If Colorado can play Colorado State every year in a packed Broncos stadium, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

If Florida State can play both Florida and Miami, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

In my opinion it wouldnt be a very wise move for the UofA.  Just take for instance what if God came down from Heaven and allowed ASU to beat UofA.  There would never be an end to it.  One loss to ASU could ruin UofA football much worse than what DMW has even begun to. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: strawhog on June 29, 2007, 06:33:18 pm

Fools?
Do you know what the average attendance was for an Astate football game last year?
Do you know what the attendance was on the days the Hogs played in LR or Deer Season open?
A foolish man would claim that 60% of Jonesboro or NEA would be an Arkansas State fan much less wearing "ASU gear" and, as far as the License plate issue goes its strange that I have been all over Jonesboro today and cant recall seeing one Indian license plate.
Obviously, I was only talking to a few of you.  I can only go by what I have seen (and I do pay attention) and it moght be closer to 50-50, but you are blind or drunk if you claim to have driven around Jonesboro without seeing an ASU plate.  I go up there often and have NEVER failed to see at least numerous ASU and hog plates.

Seriously, why the burning desire for some to compare UA with ASU?  Does it make you feel better?  It's apples and oranges.  A school with the resources that only a handful of schools have in the nation vs. one that just makes ends meet like the other 60% of the country.

For a town of 60K located in the middle of the shrinking Delta, ASU gets a pretty good bargain.

I'll take Steve Roberts at 180K over Nutt at 2 million any day.  I call that a bargain.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 06:39:58 pm
Obviously, I was only talking to a few of you.  I can only go by what I have seen (and I do pay attention) and it moght be closer to 50-50, but you are blind or drunk if you claim to have driven around Jonesboro without seeing an ASU plate.  I go up there often and have NEVER failed to see at least numerous ASU and hog plates.

Granted I haven't lived in Jonesboro in almost 3 years, but for all those years I did, the ratio of Hog plates to Indian plates was radically disproportionate.  Same with caps and shirts.

I'm coming home for a visit in 3 weeks and I will purposefully tally what I see while I'm out and about and report back what I find.

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 06:39:58 pm

I'll take Steve Roberts at 180K over Nutt at 2 million any day.  I call that a bargain.

I couldn't argue with that even if you reversed the numbers.

hoghearted

Quote from: strawhog on June 29, 2007, 06:37:55 pm
I don't see how this could be anything but negative for the UofA.  The Hogs have nothing to gain and everything to lose whereas ASU has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If all the college hockey teams in Boston can come together to play the Beanpot tournament each year, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

If Colorado can play Colorado State every year in a packed Broncos stadium, why can't Arkansas play ASU?

In my opinion it wouldnt be a very wise move for the UofA.  Just take for instance what if God came down from Heaven and allowed ASU to beat UofA.  There would never be an end to it.  One lose to ASU could ruin UofA football much worse than what DMW has even begun to. 

Now strawhog, surely you didn't mean to use hyperbole to this degree? ASU would certainly enjoy a win over UA, however, the odds are stacked against them. A loss to the Tribe would not be so damaging as Dale's tenure has been.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

ejay572

There are alot of Indian and Hog fans in Jonesboro and yeah the Hogs are the main show in the state but ASU support is undoubtedly growing.  Here are some interesting numbers:

2001-2004 average attendance at ASU (including the memphis game): 13,226
Lowest avg attendance for any year in that period: 10,731

2005 average attendance: 18,581
2006 average attendance: 19,069

Roughly a 50% increase in attendance.

strawhog

Quote from: hoghearted on June 29, 2007, 08:30:00 pm

In my opinion it wouldnt be a very wise move for the UofA.  Just take for instance what if God came down from Heaven and allowed ASU to beat UofA.  There would never be an end to it.  One loss to ASU could ruin UofA football much worse than what DMW has even begun to. 

Now strawhog, surely you didn't mean to use hyperbole to this degree? ASU would certainly enjoy a win over UA, however, the odds are stacked against them. A loss to the Tribe would not be so damaging as Dale's tenure has been.
that might have been stretching it quite abit however I dont see what the UofA has to gain by playing ASU.

P.S.  I didnt mean for that to sound like a compliment for HDN and did I mention FIRE HDN.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dances With Hogs

Straw, not even losing to ASU would be as bad as what the Nutt has done, and will continue to do.
I don't see how this could be anything but negative for the UofA.  The Hogs have nothing to gain and everything to lose whereas ASU has nothing to loss and everything to gain.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 06:20:51 pm

Fools ?
It's a joke.  Lighten up.  I am talking about the whole history.  UA took the same transfer as everyone else until they joined the rich SEC.  It's not accurate to act like all those decades don't count or that now that UA is self sufficient (more or less) then the rules should be changed for everyone else.

No college team built on a college campus can claim to be self made without heavy contribution from taxpayers.
You're posting nonsense like some guy trying to BS his way through an essay exam on a test.
Joining the SEC had nothing to do with the Hogs athletic department becoming self sufficient.
It started in the 60's and has been that way ever since. Before the state turnback money for the Fayetteville campus started going to the Lady'Backs it went to the Fayetteville campus library.
I've looked at the numbers.
Here's an example of what I'm taking about.
The so called "pit" parking lot in front of the Broyles Center is paved and maintained by the athletic department. Yet each of their employees has to buy a parking sticker just like any other member of the faculty. The money from those stickers goes to the University not the athletic department.
The fact is the University of Arkansas is one of only a handful of schools in the country where not only is athletics totally self funded but athletics contributes significant revenues back to the University.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 29, 2007, 08:48:59 pm
Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 29, 2007, 06:20:51 pm

Fools ?

You're posting nonsense like some guy trying to BS his way through an essay exam on a test.
Joining the SEC had nothing to do with the Hogs athletic department becoming self sufficient.
It started in the 60's and has been that way ever since. Before the state turnback money for the Fayetteville campus started going to the Lady'Backs it went to the Fayetteville campus library.
I've looked at the numbers.
Here's an example of what I'm taking about.
The so called "pit" parking lot in front of the Broyles Center is paved and maintained by the athletic department. Yet each of their employees has to buy a parking sticker just like any other member of the faculty. The money from those stickers goes to the University not the athletic department.
The fact is the University of Arkansas is one of only a handful of schools in the country where not only is athletics totally self funded but athletics contributes significant revenues back to the University.

I will take a test against you any day of the week in any subject.  UA has always been the big dog in the state and that will never change.  They have always been very solid financially as well, but you can't seriously argue that joining the SEC didn't put them in another stratosphere economically.  It is a FACT that they didn't become completely self sufficient until joining the SEC.  Of course, their history and leadership helped them get the invitation in the first place.

I have seen the numbers as well and I routinely talk to people that no more about this subject than both of us combined times ten.

Even UA had to start somewhere and that was with taxpayer money.  I don't see where it really matters anyway since even at schools like ASU the athletic budget is a very tiny percentage of the overall budget, yet produces more exposure than the other programs.  It's the "front porch" of a university and well worth the money.

It's called history.  Look at the whole picture and not just the way things are now.