Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State = New Mascot!

Started by MobHog, June 19, 2007, 02:58:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

little pigee

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on June 19, 2007, 04:04:32 pm
As a drunk street fighter I'm sick of being associated with the Irish and with Notre Dame.

;)
That is Funny!   +1 to you, Cool One.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

cosmodrum

Quote from: little pigee on June 20, 2007, 10:44:41 am
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on June 19, 2007, 04:04:32 pm
As a drunk street fighter I'm sick of being associated with the Irish and with Notre Dame.

;)
That is Funny!   +1 to you, Cool One.

LOL! As a drunk "Irish-American" who lives in Conway, I'm sick of being associated with CCD!

+1 CCD
Go away, batin'

little pigee

Are you supposed to end your sentences with a preposition?

Look, I see your point, but I am entitled to my opinion.  I think that ASU is a crappy school.  It's just an opinion.  You are certainly allowed to have the opinion that my opinions are bunk.  This is just a message board.  It's not like we're hammering out a peace treaty here.

How about "I have to have something to work with, a-hole"?

Professor English says "Great comeback!"  +1 to you both for making my morning.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

maniax22bolts20

Political correctness/wrongness is every bit the threat to this country that terrorism  is. The nutless,cowardly rats that made the decision to change the Indians mascot should be eliminated or shipped out of this state.

cityhog

Quote from: maniax22bolts20 on June 20, 2007, 10:56:13 am
Political correctness/wrongness is every bit the threat to this country that terrorism  is. The nutless,cowardly rats that made the decision to change the Indians mascot should be eliminated or shipped out of this state.

Please explain.

cityhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 20, 2007, 10:14:44 am
I
Native Americans have been called Indians for more than 500 years. And now that we've all but eradicated them from existence, let's make them feel better by banning the word Indian. That makes sense. I'm sure they feel better now.

Actually Indians called themselves whatever their tribal name was, ie. Cherokee, Seminole, etc.  Whites have called them Indians, and a lot worse things for 500 years.  And you're right, now that we've given them booze and small pox infested blankets, let's kick them while they are all but down.  That's the America I know and love. 

btw - Indians still exist.  They are from India.  Evolve people.  The world is shrinking every day. 

hopefullyapathetic

How about "Hertz-rent-a-team"?  That could work on two levels.  They're always someone's homecoming opponent and since they are no better than number two in the state it could work.  Maybe they'll try harder!

ledhead830

Quote from: maniax22bolts20 on June 20, 2007, 10:56:13 am

Yes, because fighting the NCAA is the absolutely correct thing to do and definitely the smartest, and that would never come back to haunt a university. ASU fought this decision as long as possible, but there was no way the school was going to win this bout. As for PC being on the same line as terrorism, that is just an absurd statement, exemplifying ignorance beyond comprehension. While the PC police is annoying at times and majority of the times just flat out wrong, I don't believe PC has ever actually taken the life of a person.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

Isapig

Quote from: TheSausageKing on June 19, 2007, 10:53:36 pm
ASU Cottonmouths

"Cottonmouths" is a pretty intimidating nickname.  I like that.  People outside of the south may not understand it however. 

cityhog

Quote from: Isapig on June 20, 2007, 12:01:34 pm
ASU Cottonmouths

"Cottonmouths" is a pretty intimidating nickname.  I like that.  People outside of the south may not understand it however. 

That was the name I actually thought would be pretty cool.  Or the Water Mocs.

TheArkansasTraveller

Quote from: MobHog on June 19, 2007, 02:58:13 pm
The Board of Trustees just voted to get rid of the nickname "Indian" & "Indian Family".......

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=925876

The city of Jonesboro doesnt seem to really care! What would Fayetteville and the state of Arkansas do if the University of Arkansas was forced to change from the hogs to something else!?!?! How would you personally feel??

They could be called The Shoats!

BartIV

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: BRizzleDizzle on June 19, 2007, 09:36:41 pm
boll weevels is already taking by another university in arkansas

Now that is a serious signature! +1   Similarly, how bout the ASU OBGYN's....they could be the first school to have a mascot acronym...
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Jim

Quote from: grizzlyhawg on June 20, 2007, 10:29:09 am
hmm...

Arkansas has had difficulties in the past when going head to head with ASU.  Nolan almost lost years ago and our Lady Backs got crushed by the Indians.  Maybe we should give them the Razorback and we can go back to being the Cardinals. 

OR...perhaps ASU takes this opportunity to rub Ark's faces a bit roughly and they become the A-State Cardinals.

Yeah, that'd get them an invite to our OOC schedule.  :)

ExArky

The irony ... a lot of you knock ASU grads' grammar skills, and yet your poll shows that most of you support an ASU grad (Scott Inman) to be the next Voice of the Razorbacks.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MobHog on June 19, 2007, 02:58:13 pm
The Board of Trustees just voted to get rid of the nickname "Indian" & "Indian Family".......

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=925876

The city of Jonesboro doesnt seem to really care! What would Fayetteville and the state of Arkansas do if the University of Arkansas was forced to change from the hogs to something else!?!?! How would you personally feel??

Almost every school is doing it and I salute Florida State for fighting it and I also salute the Seminole Tribe for standing by them in that fight. Now THAT gives me respect for my native american brothers.
Go Hogs Go!

UofstAte

Quote from: Auron12 on June 20, 2007, 12:10:23 am
     First of all I would just like to state that I am as big a hog fan as the rest of you. since the day I was old enough to think about my college career I wanted to go to Fayetteville and be a razorback. Unfortunately I was not blessed with the resources to afford to live there so I was forced to consider other options. I am now an Indian. Jonesboro is only about 30 minutes from where I live so I am able to live at home while I attend school. I am still a razorback fan and always will be, but I also cheer for the Indians. It pains me to see my fellow hog fans put down ASU while there are so many here that cheer the hogs on. I am an athletic training major at ASU so I am around these student-athletes a lot; especially the football team. I see the hard work they go through everyday during spring practices, two-a-days, and the season and to see comments like HOGish made makes me sick. Yes HOGish, we have athletics, and while they are not as skilled and renowned as the hogs they still work hard to be the best they can be. And no Newport Hog, we are not a joke and the Indian athletes do not want to be called razorbacks because they are proud Indians. In fact, the majority of our athletes cheer on the hogs just as I do. bd39 is correct. Most of jonesboro does not care about the Indians because they care about the hogs. I wish they would care about both. I hate seeing the stands only half full at games and I wish we could have more support here. The few Indian fans who believe that ASU should play Arkansas are wrong. That is two different levels of skill and talent, and exactly why I cannot understand why the two sides cannot pull for each other. Some do, like me, but a lot don't as some of you have proven in this thread. I not pulling for absolute love of the Indians here. All I want is for some people here to show a little more respect for ASU's student athletes instead of making fun that they don't exist, and a little more respect for ASU students like myself whom study and earn their education instead of this:
Quote from: chortle on June 19, 2007, 09:25:28 pm
Quote from: HeathWimp on June 19, 2007, 06:06:09 pm
My old boss was a "proud" ASU graduate. 

His English and grammar were terrible.  I can't believe that he has a 4 year degree.

In honor of him, I vote for "ASU Fighting Slapnutts."

I had a boss that had her bachelor's and master's from ASU. She couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I swear, they should just let you come to campus one day, write a check for the amount of 4 years tuition, hand you a piece of paper and send you on your way.

Nicely said "Auron12".  I have a bachelors from stAte and a masters from UofA.  The name-calling and disrespect from those few fans from both schools do not reflect the majority.  This sort of thing actually reflects badly upon the schools the name-callers do support whether they realize it or not.  It only supports the view of many outside of Arkansas that it's still home to backward, redneck hillbillies and adds meaning to "Root Hog or Die" with some agreeing with the latter or "Better Dead than Red".  Let's get behind and support everything "Arkansas".

Albert Einswine

They've already got that zany "Red" character so I think it only fitting that they should be called the Arkansas State University "Redheaded Step Children".
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

YellvilleHog

I think they should hire Gus as their coach and change their mascot to "high school"
bwahahahaha, i crack myself up.

Rooka

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 20, 2007, 07:11:35 pm
I think they should hire Gus as their coach and change their mascot to "high school"
Well atleast you made one person laugh.

10thPlanet

June 20, 2007, 07:31:00 pm #120 Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:36:51 pm by dkwvike
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 20, 2007, 07:11:35 pm
We would really be dodging ASU if that happened.

hoghearted

Actually, I think changing their mascot to 'Cardinals' is a brilliant idea.

Personally, I think it's sort of classless to run down your fellow Arkansans. Not everybody can attend UA. There's nothing wrong with furthering your education at ASU. As for the level of education you receive, that's totally up to the student, depending on the drive, desire and study habits applied.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

YellvilleHog

Quote from: hoghearted on June 20, 2007, 07:46:22 pm

Personally, I think it's sort of classless to run down your fellow Arkansans. Not everybody can attend UA. There's nothing wrong with furthering your education at ASU. As for the level of education you receive, that's totally up to the student, depending on the drive, desire and study habits applied.

Are you sure the UA doesn't have the Arkansas Cardinals copyrighted? I mean that was the UA mascot back when Frank was a freshman.

Lanlord

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 20, 2007, 06:53:56 pm
They've already got that zany "Red" character so I think it only fitting that they should be called the Arkansas State University "Redheaded Step Children".

The sports page would read "ASU beat like redheaded stepchildren."

latech_pilot

Quote from: Anon2 on June 19, 2007, 03:09:45 pm
Can't believe they may get a marketing firm to help in finding a new name.  Are their students not smart enough to recommend a name for their mascot?

That is what ULM did last year.  Let students and the fans pick.

Jim

Quote from: hoghearted on June 20, 2007, 07:46:22 pm

Even though as I suggested it as a slight "tongue in cheek" comment, the Arkansas State Cardinals does have a nice flow to it.

stronguard

If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

cosmodrum

Quote from: cityhog on June 20, 2007, 11:03:29 am
Quote from: cosmodrum on June 20, 2007, 10:14:44 am
I
Native Americans have been called Indians for more than 500 years. And now that we've all but eradicated them from existence, let's make them feel better by banning the word Indian. That makes sense. I'm sure they feel better now.

Actually Indians called themselves whatever their tribal name was, ie. Cherokee, Seminole, etc.  Whites have called them Indians, and a lot worse things for 500 years.  And you're right, now that we've given them booze and small pox infested blankets, let's kick them while they are all but down.  That's the America I know and love. 

btw - Indians still exist.  They are from India.  Evolve people.  The world is shrinking every day. 

I'm not a moron. I realize that "Indians" are from India. I think everyone on this board learned that in grade school. I also realize that Native Americans call themselves by whatever tribe they represent. Again, not a moron. You didn't have to explain what a tribe is, either. Again, not drooling on my keyboard.

My point is that the gesture of banning all names related to Native Americans is too little, too late, IMO.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

ASU Cottonmouths

Quote from: cityhog on June 20, 2007, 12:13:39 pm
ASU Cottonmouths

That was the name I actually thought would be pretty cool.  Or the Water Mocs.

If they were the "Cottonmouths," people from places other than Arkansas would just think they were referring to potheads.
Go away, batin'

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quote from: ExArky on June 20, 2007, 06:29:00 pm
The irony ... a lot of you knock ASU grads' grammar skills, and yet your poll shows that most of you support an ASU grad (Scott Inman) to be the next Voice of the Razorbacks.

And voted in an ASU grad as Governor

badbrad

asu "smokin' hot broads"...... that campus is eat up with hot chics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kimjongsqUeAl

How about the "Seminoles" or the "Redskins", "Aztecs", "Fighting Illini" oh. . . wait those are already taken
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

kimjongsqUeAl

Got one. "The Other School in AR"
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

kimjongsqUeAl

ASU "Orphans", "Chicken Hawks", "Moles", "Pygmy Shrews", "Rainbow Children", "Ragdolls", "Never gonna beat Razorbacks'", "Sows", "Castaways", "Tadpoles",
Or my favorite: "The Arkansas State Smegma"
- Thomas Jefferson

- God

Justifiable Hogicide

The Arkansas State Porta-Potties.

YellvilleHog

Louis-Hogfan

HeathWimp

Quote from: hawgacyde on June 21, 2007, 03:43:33 pm
ASU "Orphans", "Chicken Hawks", "Moles", "Pygmy Shrews", "Rainbow Children", "Ragdolls", "Never gonna beat Razorbacks'", "Sows", "Castaways", "Tadpoles",

I like "The Smegma."  Kind of rolls off your tongue. 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

gomersnerd

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 21, 2007, 07:15:52 pm

rolled off yours several times i am sure
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

YellvilleHog

Arkansas St Wish They Were Razorbacks

HeathWimp

Quote from: gomersnerd on June 21, 2007, 08:40:57 pm

No, it actually rolled off your mama's.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

YellvilleHog

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 21, 2007, 08:58:36 pm

That was both original and mature, all rolled up in one.

bigyellowdog

HeathWimp

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 21, 2007, 08:59:21 pm
Quote from: HeathWimp on June 21, 2007, 08:58:36 pm

That was both original and mature, all rolled up in one.

Coming from you Yellville, I'll take that as a complement.

Remember, I owe you a case of Diet Coke if we win even one game against Texas, Florida, Georgia, LSU, or Alabama in 2007 or 2008.

slopinhogs

how about River Hawks or cyclones. i hope ASU does well and comes out smelling like a rose. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Pignoramus on June 21, 2007, 03:15:23 pm
Does anyone know what mascot names are being seriously considered?

The Arkansas State Hog-Haters.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: slopinhogs on June 21, 2007, 10:26:53 pm
how about River Hawks or cyclones. i hope ASU does well and comes out smelling like a rose. :razorback:

Arkansas State Roses - Dose have a sweet smell to it. 8)
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!