Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Good Have Hog Point Guards Been? Head to Head Rankings

Started by eusebius, December 05, 2014, 07:26:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

Mayberry is a close second to Boothead Brewer in my lifetime. I wish we had someone remotely close on this years team.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

eusebius

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 06, 2014, 01:37:42 pm
Mayberry is a close second to Boothead Brewer in my lifetime. I wish we had someone remotely close on this years team.

Since I don't have any of Boothead's assist or steals stats, I couldn't put him in the metric. The same thing with Delph when I compare him to the post 86-87 shooters with no 3 pt line.

I agree with you.  I wish we had someone close. I know it's not fair to criticize harshly the teams since 94-95, but that nearly twenty year stretch from 77- 95 with the exception Nolan's first couple of years was just so good. That's the Hog ball I grew up on and expect.     
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

intelligence

Quote from: eusebius on December 06, 2014, 11:15:13 am
Ark got over the hump and won the title when they could win a half court game.
During the 1993-94 season: our losses were 64-66 @ Bama, 72-21 @ MSU

Then Kentucky just outplayed us 90-78 in the SEC finals.

Michigan tried to slow us down in the Elite 8, but we won 76-68
And then Duke tried to control tempo but we beat them 76-72   

Eeek, i hope that's a typo

eusebius

Quote from: intelligence on December 06, 2014, 02:06:24 pm
Eeek, i hope that's a typo

LOL, I see it now. The Champs lost at the Hump in '94 to Mississippi State 72-71. State had Eric Dampier go for 13 pts and 15 boards. Williamson had 26 but it wasn't enough as Thurman and Dillard were a combined 4/18. SEC was really good in that stretch when the Hogs won the national championship.

Kent in the final four in 93
Hogs and Florida were in the Final Four in 94
Hogs were there again in 95
Kent and Mississippi State were there in 96, UK won it

These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

Inhogswetrust

December 06, 2014, 02:46:00 pm #54 Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:41:34 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: eusebius on December 06, 2014, 11:15:13 am
Ark got over the hump and won the title when they could win a half court game.
During the 1993-94 season: our losses were 66-64 @ Bama, 72-71 /edit @ MSU

Then Kentucky just outplayed us 90-78 in the SEC finals.

Michigan tried to slow us down in the Elite 8, but we won 76-68
And then Duke tried to control tempo but we beat them 76-72   

What was it Grandmama said "Go get you some men" .........................Obvioulsy he meant more muscle. He was right at the time it was the missing ingredient. They got a more "stronger" team and then won it all  but with still outstanding guards play. Thus my point about needing more than just guard play most of the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

eusebius

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 06, 2014, 02:46:00 pm
What was it Grandmama said "Go get you some men" .........................Obvioulsy he meant more muscle. He was right at the time it was the missing ingredient. They got a more "stronger" team a then won it all  but with still outstanding guards play. Thus my point about needing more than just guard play most of the time.

And even Beck was a more physical pt guard than Mayberry. The most physical guard we had since Alvin. I love Corliss. I have grown up seeing him at all the AAU games and ball camps. Somewhere in the recesses of the my parent's house are VHS tapes of a young 12 or 13 yr old Williamson and his Wings playing my older bro's team at Parkview High School. When he was at the ASU Indian BB Camp in 8th grade he played up in the High School Division with other Division 1 players (Charlie Donnerson and Mark Echols from Gosnell) I don't remember if Joe Harvell was there. Corliss was already a man child in 9th grade. He's a once in a 20 or 25 year player.     

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 06, 2014, 02:46:00 pm
What was it Grandmama said "Go get you some men" .........................Obvioulsy he meant more muscle. He was right at the time it was the missing ingredient. They got a more "stronger" team a then won it all  but with still outstanding guards play. Thus my point about needing more than just guard play most of the time.

Strong guar play with all four guards averaging around the same points per game.  Beck and Dillard had completely different games, while McDaniel and Crawford were very similar.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 06, 2014, 05:24:38 pm
Strong guar play with all four guards averaging around the same points per game.  Beck and Dillard had completely different games, while McDaniel and Crawford were very similar.

How anyone can believe we win the NC without Corliss is beyond me.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

fineswine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 06, 2014, 11:42:34 pm
How anyone can believe we win the NC without Corliss is beyond me.
Agreed.  Corliss was the dominant player in college basketball.  No one could handle him. 

jjdlc

It's hard to argue based on stats, that Mayberry wasn't the best PG we've had.  That said, I agree with others on Beck,  he had something that you just couldn't measure with stats.  Closest thing I can think of at the moment is Peyton Manning, almost like having a second coach on the field.  Beck was stellar at making sure the other players on the floor were where they needed to be, and doing what they needed to do.  He kept them focused when things weren't going well, and did whatever was required of him in order to win.

eusebius

Quote from: jjdlc on December 07, 2014, 10:37:02 am
It's hard to argue based on stats, that Mayberry wasn't the best PG we've had.  That said, I agree with others on Beck,  he had something that you just couldn't measure with stats.  Closest thing I can think of at the moment is Peyton Manning, almost like having a second coach on the field.  Beck was stellar at making sure the other players on the floor were where they needed to be, and doing what they needed to do.  He kept them focused when things weren't going well, and did whatever was required of him in order to win.

A couple of tid bits on Beck :

Coach Ford at Fairley said Beck and Deuce Ford were the best he has had.

http://fairley1.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

Good rundown here on Memphis' best classes, covers the '90 class w/ Beck and Hardaway.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/high-school/class-by-itself-areas-latest-crop-of-players-but

eusebius