Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curious about ISU's recruiting

Started by LRrazorback, December 05, 2014, 08:41:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRrazorback

I think we've recruited decent over the last few years. But , what has isu done?  They looked like world beaters and I don't recall them having highly ranked classes. I understand they have several transfers, where we're they ranked?  Could it just be better coaching?

BadHog

For one thing they got Bryce Dejean Jones from UNLV - graduated but had one year of eligibility left. They didn't want him. Off court problems, etc.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

BRHogfan

Iowa State University is the island of misfit toys. 

Dejean-Jones and Nader are both transfers.

If you look at their 2013 class, Morris and Thomas were both 4 star players out of high school in the top 100, but then they had 4 JuCo guys. 

Georges Niang was in the 2012 class, and he was in the top 100 and rated very highly.

They haven't had a single player from Iowa.

One of the comments during the game last night is that Hoiberg doesn't even start evaluating guys until after the season because he wants to know what transfers he's getting.  He runs his team like he's running an NBA front office (Oh yeah, that's what he used to do)

BadHog

I remember I had Iowa St in the final four of my bracket last year but then Niang got injured and was gone! Hoiberg has put together some interesting rosters. This team is packed with shooters.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

hogman99

Quote from: LRrazorback on December 05, 2014, 08:41:17 am
I think we've recruited decent over the last few years. But , what has isu done?  They looked like world beaters and I don't recall them having highly ranked classes. I understand they have several transfers, where we're they ranked?  Could it just be better coaching?
Yes

The_Iceman

It looks like he surrounds 4-star high school recruits with high level JUCO guys and transfers from other schools. Dejean-Jones was averaging 13.6 ppg at UNLV and Nader 13.1 ppg at NIU before transferring in. They also have Jameel McKay coming in next semester, who was a very highly rated JUCO player that Arkansas was after.

Fred is a very good coach and is very smart at how he assembles his roster.

mbgrulz

Quote from: LRrazorback on December 05, 2014, 08:41:17 am
Quote from: hogman99 on December 05, 2014, 08:57:46 am
  Yes
Its funny how a good shooting night can make you a great coach...ISU shoots 64% from the floor last night...GREAT coaching! They shot in the low 20% range and got beat against unranked Maryland earlier this season...Was Hoiberg a great coach then?

We got a dose of our own medicine last night...We went into a hornet's nest and got WHIPPED by a team that is not 20 points better than us, but was on that night in their own arena. We've made a living off of doing the same thing. We will whip plenty of teams by MUCH worse than what we deserve to because of BWA.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 05, 2014, 09:25:47 am

We got a dose of our own medicine last night...We went into a hornet's nest and got WHIPPED by a team that is not 20 points better than us, but was on that night in their own arena. We've made a living off of doing the same thing. We will whip plenty of teams by MUCH worse than what we deserve to because of BWA.
Other than Kentucky and Florida (neither of which we play at BWA), when was the last time the Bud was packed and a "hornet's nest"?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Paul

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 05, 2014, 09:25:47 am
Its funny how a good shooting night can make you a great coach...ISU shoots 64% from the floor last night...GREAT coaching! They shot in the low 20% range and got beat against unranked Maryland earlier this season...Was Hoiberg a great coach then?

Hoiberg is a very good coach.  He had an answer for everything we tried to due.  He had an excellent game plan to attack our defense.  That led to many layups & open threes--that's why they shot 64%.   

mbgrulz

Quote from: Paul on December 05, 2014, 09:32:42 am
  Hoiberg is a very good coach.  He had an answer for everything we tried to due.  He had an excellent game plan to attack our defense.  That led to many layups & open threes--that's why they shot 64%.   
I don't disagree that he's a good coach...I think he's excellent.

FaytownHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 05, 2014, 09:28:09 am
Other than Kentucky and Florida (neither of which we play at BWA), when was the last time the Bud was packed and a "hornet's nest"?
I'm sure it was packed the last time we were ranked and hosted another ranked team for sure.

BRHogfan

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2014, 10:30:47 am
I'm sure it was packed the last time we were ranked and hosted another ranked team for sure.

Saturday February 18th, 1998 when the #16 Hogs hosted #13 South Carolina and won 96-88

Both teams shot over 50% and Arkansas shot 60% from beyond the arc.  Both teams also shot 20+ free throws, but Arkansas got 19 Turnovers from the Gamecocks and had a slight rebounding advantage that really made the difference. 

http://www.hogstats.com/boxscore.php?date=1998-02-18

Reported attendance of 20,202

Of course that same season, unranked Arkansas played Oral Roberts in front of 19,246

Peteypie

Quote from: BRHogfan on December 05, 2014, 08:51:05 am
Iowa State University is the island of misfit toys. 

Dejean-Jones and Nader are both transfers.

If you look at their 2013 class, Morris and Thomas were both 4 star players out of high school in the top 100, but then they had 4 JuCo guys. 

Georges Niang was in the 2012 class, and he was in the top 100 and rated very highly.

They haven't had a single player from Iowa.

One of the comments during the game last night is that Hoiberg doesn't even start evaluating guys until after the season because he wants to know what transfers he's getting.  He runs his team like he's running an NBA front office (Oh yeah, that's what he used to do)

Pretty good synopsis. except the bolded part is way off.  He has made his living off of supplementing decent high school talent with high level Jucos and transfers true.  He is trying to make the next step, which sooner or later he will break through, but that step is a blue chip high schooler.  We were very hard after Vaughn that eventually went to UNLV, and after we got Dejean-Jones from UNLV, so we'll take that trade.  This year we are a major player for Cheick Diallo a top 10 recruit, and are in on some big time 2016 players too.

Actually, his theory is to swing for the fences with high school recruits (which we have struck out for the most part) and if that doesn't work, we know we can get good transfers, so we don't settle for sub top 100 players out of high school. 

It is almost like (high school (draft picks) juco (free agents) and transfers (trades) ) he is running an NBA team.

FaytownHog

Quote from: BRHogfan on December 05, 2014, 10:34:53 am
Saturday February 18th, 1998 when the #16 Hogs hosted #13 South Carolina and won 96-88

Both teams shot over 50% and Arkansas shot 60% from beyond the arc.  Both teams also shot 20+ free throws, but Arkansas got 19 Turnovers from the Gamecocks and had a slight rebounding advantage that really made the difference. 

http://www.hogstats.com/boxscore.php?date=1998-02-18

Reported attendance of 20,202

Of course that same season, unranked Arkansas played Oral Roberts in front of 19,246
Well there ya go. The point is, the place is still packed for big games (we play in the SEC so the only real big games we typically have are FL or UK). How'd we do for Michigan a couple years ago? That was a pretty big game. And Syracuse? I honestly don't know, but we weren't ranked and I think we pulled decent numbers. Probably more people than ISU's arena holds.

BRHogfan

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2014, 10:40:26 am
Well there ya go. The point is, the place is still packed for big games (we play in the SEC so the only real big games we typically have are FL or UK). How'd we do for Michigan a couple years ago? That was a pretty big game. And Syracuse? I honestly don't know, but we weren't ranked and I think we pulled decent numbers. Probably more people than ISU's arena holds.

19,259 for Syracuse
http://www.hogstats.com/boxscore.php?date=2012-11-30

19,050 for Michigan
http://www.hogstats.com/boxscore.php?date=2012-01-21

both are about 5,000 more than ISU had for us.  Though there capacity is only 14,384.

mbgrulz

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 05, 2014, 09:28:09 am
Who doesn't consider playing in BWA a complete nightmare?

Whether or not it lives up to our own standard of the mid/late 90's doesn't mean anything to our opponents; the teams that have to play us in Fayetteville don't look forward to it.