Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorbacks need to play better defense

Started by Lanny, December 05, 2014, 06:56:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

I saw the problems the hogs would have against Iowa State, watching the Iona game.  To many open looks.  You can't give open three's like that or you get the results like last night.  Way early in the season and Anderson's teams gel after the new year, hopefully the Razorbacks will play better defense and cover the three against Clemson.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Rooka

Quote from: Lanny on December 05, 2014, 06:56:16 am
I saw the problems the hogs would have against Iowa State, watching the Iona game.  To many open looks.  You can't give open three's like that or you get the results like last night.  Way early in the season and Anderson's teams gel after the new year, hopefully the Razorbacks will play better defense and cover the three against Clemson.
Yeah, I mean this team we played was our kryptonite. Great ball movement and shot lights out for most of the night. We will be alright, if there was an out of conference game to lose then this is the one. This game will end up being probably in the top 3 toughest games we will have this regular season. No worries from this Hog fan. Now if we roll into Clemson and lose by 10-15 points, we might have something to worry about.

3kgthog

Different season, same problems. If we can't hack it away from you, we're in trouble.

Youngsta71701

Our help defense and defensive rotation has to get better!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

3of5-2

Marshfieldhog

What team shoots better than 60% in this day of basketball? Defense was bad last night, lots of open looks for a team like us that has some length.

snortman

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 05, 2014, 08:20:10 am
He better.

No worries we are on the 6 year 13 Million dollar plan. Then a raise, got to love America

Boston RedHogs

Overall, our half court defense was extremely ineffective last night.  The defense seemed to be overplaying the help side all night long and it definitely burned us.  We looked slow on our rotations, didn't handle switches very well, and just gave up way too many good looks at the basket. 

Credit ISU, they played a good game and fully exploited our weakness.  That said, I'm going to view last night's defensive performance as an anomaly and not an indication of how the season is going to play out.   

Lanny is right though...way too many open looks for a good team playing in their own gym.

hogsanity

Quote from: Lanny on December 05, 2014, 06:56:16 am

Problem is, the system he runs leaves guys open by design. A trap leaves someone open. My issue with it is, once a team hits 3 or 4 threes, why not back out of the traps for a while, just to change the flow of the game. We saw it against both North TX and Iona, it was just against those teams they were not as good defensively, and both faded around the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Letsroll1200

The intensity from our first unit on defense was lacking. You have to play hard and play smart but the pressure defense in the half court was sad. Much respect to Iowa State and their fan base! This is a good team and they support their basketball.