Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All you need to know about this game

Started by Biggus Piggus, December 05, 2014, 06:49:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: cbhawg03 on December 05, 2014, 09:58:16 am
So you want minutes distributed evenly? Granted there are some that need to play more and some that might need to play less. For instance, would like to see Babb and Beard play more, both seem to be able to shoot the ball very well. Beard for whatever reason wouldn't shoot early on in the game, but rather decided to drive into the bigs, which led to turnovers. Babb will just keep passing rather than shooting for whatever reason, maybe because he is on the court and doesn't want to come off because he is missing. Really don't know about Babb.

Then you have Watkins. I don't understand him getting the minutes he does, especially in games like last night. You are completely handicapped on offense. Yes, he does play good defense and will rebound well, but you can't play 5-4 on the offensive side of the court when you play good teams like Iowa St., simply will not get the job done. He can have all the minutes he wants, but if he is going to get them then he needs to be able to hit a jumper, until then just let him play very short runs before the tv timeout in order to give someone a breather.

Distributing minutes more evenly does nothing if you don't get furious effort out of everyone when on court. If you gimp the formula by telling some players they might go 30-35 minutes, they are not going to give furious effort. They will save energy, and everything could fall in on itself.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: wildturkey8 on December 05, 2014, 11:03:19 am
Nolan's teams played much better half court defense than this.  His best teams were as tough as I've seen defensively. 

Sometimes it looks as if effort is somewhat lacking on the defensive end.

Well it is a differently officiated game but I kept thinking the Hogs acted as though they were scared of contact last night especially in the halfcourt.  It is okay to play Iona this way in a game that resembled an AAU game.  Perhaps they thought the ISU game would be similar.  Portis ended up with one foul and that was an over the back trying to get an offensive rebound. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: wildturkey8 on December 05, 2014, 11:03:19 am
Nolan's teams played much better half court defense than this.  His best teams were as tough as I've seen defensively. 

Sometimes it looks as if effort is somewhat lacking on the defensive end.

This discussion has been had here before. Nolan finally dedicated himself to his team being able to bang in the half court only once, and that resulted in a nc in 1994 and a runner up in 95.  Other than those two years, his teams had the same problems Mike's have had here. When the press and pressure work, the hogs are fine, when a team takes care of the ball, ISU had 11 to's last night, they are is good shape to get easy open shots, because against a trapping pressing team, someone IS open. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

chiti66

CMA is emphatic when he states that "starting" is over-rated.  And I do agree to a certain extent.  There are certain players that are ready to go from the tip, and then there are players that need to sit and see the flow before they are ready to go (I know you like that).  But seriously, I think that Ky is ready to go from the tip, same with Harris, and to a lessor degree, BP and Qualls.  But they are our best players so you have to start them.  Bell definitely needs to see the flow first and then he is ready to roll.  SO who is that 5th player....I go with Beard!  The kid is tough, all he need is his team-mates and coaches support.  The kid is the captain/general that we need!  COME ON CMA!!

Biggus Piggus

Not sure everyone realizes:

This was not a fast-tempo game - only 72 possessions. If this had been an 80+ possession game, Iowa State would have scored 105 or more.

In the second 10 minutes of the first half -- when Arkansas typically would be wearing down opponents -- the Hogs got outscored by 11. In the second 10 minutes of the second half, the Hogs were outscored by 1.

Iowa State shot 71% - 22 of 31 - inside the arc, to go with 53% from long range.

The Clones also were 78% at the line to the Hogs' 63%.

Arkansas missed 30 shots and several reboundable free throws, and got only nine offensive boards. Three of those were by Watkins.

Arkansas's wing player, Qualls, shot 2-6, zeroed inside, and his counterpart shot 8-8.

Portis might have shot 8-10, but his counterpart went 9-12.

The Hogs were outscored by 6 points inside the arc - 9 at the line - 3 from 3-pt range.

The Hogs missed 14 shots inside the arc - 16 outside - 7 at the line.

ISU missed 9 shots inside the arc - 9 outside - 6 at the line.

A shred of FG% defense would have made this a real game.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

My frustration is growing.  Hopefully MA makes the needed adjustments going forward.  If not, this will be a rough year and there is no way we land Monk or Allen.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Smithian

Can't defend and hustle your way out of a 20 point deficit. Have to leave in the guys who can put the ball in the hoop enough to close the gap.

BRHogfan

I don't think that team in the non-conference are that focused on preparing and game planning for other teams.  Much of the work teams are doing at this stage of the season is trying to perfect what you do.  Obviously you have a scouting report that says you need to do certain things, but Niang didn't have the scouting report on Portis to know where he was going to be able to attack him, he just has the moves and they had an overall effective offense.

Smithian

Quote from: BRHogfan on December 05, 2014, 11:59:00 am
I don't think that team in the non-conference are that focused on preparing and game planning for other teams. Much of the work teams are doing at this stage of the season is trying to perfect what you do.  Obviously you have a scouting report that says you need to do certain things, but Niang didn't have the scouting report on Portis to know where he was going to be able to attack him, he just has the moves and they had an overall effective offense.
Pretty sure the Hogs had some practices dedicated to Iowa State. The Hogs more or less "do what they do" against everyone but you still make adjustments based on opponents.

Cyclonestate78

As an Iowa State fan I came away from this game with several thoughts...

1.  By beating the Arkansas press Iowa State was able to push the ball with numbers on a consistent basis.  This is when our offense really gets going.  A couple of quick passes with an outnumbered and scrambling defense will result in shooters being left open and our kids knocked down those open looks. 

2.  We know Arkansas has a quality team with some high quality players and watching them live in person they were even more impressive.  Arkansas shot nearly 50% for the game, they are a strong team on the offensive boards, and they have the athletes to run that pressing defense that will create havoc for nearly every team they will face.  You guys have a very nice team and you are going to win a lot of games this season.  Last night was nothing more then your guys running into a team that has an offensive system that spaces the floor, feeds off of sharing the basketball, and with all 5 guys being able to knock down shots any pressure defense runs the risk of overplaying which leaves shooters open.

3.  Portis...  That kid is a fantastic player.  I'm not sure if he scored any points in the paint last night but it didn't matter.  That kid can knock down jumpers (contested jumpers at that) with ease.  He is going to be a real weapon for your team this year and will be a nightmare for other teams to try and defend.  From what I saw watching him I won't be surprised to see him be a 1st team All-Conference selection.  He is that good.

4. "Young" Babb...  His older brother played for Iowa State and was a great player for us.  If he plays anything like his bro (a sharpshooter from 3 and a lockdown defender) he will be a fan favorite in the years to come.  Enjoy!

5.  Enjoy the NCAA Tournament this year...  because the Arkansas team I watched play last night will definitely be in the tourney. 

Good luck the rest of this season and know that the Cyclone Nation will be cheering for you guys.  PS.  Please beat Coach Cal and the best team boosters can buy (aka Kentucky).

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 11:28:25 am
Not sure everyone realizes:

This was not a fast-tempo game - only 72 possessions. If this had been an 80+ possession game, Iowa State would have scored 105 or more.

In the second 10 minutes of the first half -- when Arkansas typically would be wearing down opponents -- the Hogs got outscored by 11. In the second 10 minutes of the second half, the Hogs were outscored by 1.

Iowa State shot 71% - 22 of 31 - inside the arc, to go with 53% from long range.

The Clones also were 78% at the line to the Hogs' 63%.

Arkansas missed 30 shots and several reboundable free throws, and got only nine offensive boards. Three of those were by Watkins.

Arkansas's wing player, Qualls, shot 2-6, zeroed inside, and his counterpart shot 8-8.

Portis might have shot 8-10, but his counterpart went 9-12.

The Hogs were outscored by 6 points inside the arc - 9 at the line - 3 from 3-pt range.

The Hogs missed 14 shots inside the arc - 16 outside - 7 at the line.

ISU missed 9 shots inside the arc - 9 outside - 6 at the line.

A shred of FG% defense would have made this a real game.

In your opinion,  is this still an NCAAT team?

I just cannot take this loss that seriously knowing that some very very good teams have taken it on the chin in the non conference season.
Its so tough to play on the road in college basketball. Much more against a very good team looking to knock off a ranked team.

ORU beat a Final Four Kansas team in Lawrence.
Our 93 team with Nasty and Scotty as frosh got beaten by ULM.
Our 95 team got killed by Umass, Miss State, and Alabama.

My hope is that Beard, Baab, Watkins, JaCorey can start taking away minutes from some of our vets that do not play hard on defense (QUALLS!!!!!!).
IMO, I think this is a NCAAT team. Just not a top 25 team.

Biggus Piggus

Let's say this too about Iowa State: They get a 6-9 power forward, Jameel McKay, eligible at semester. Then they will be able to handle matchups against teams like Maryland too.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cyclonestate78 on December 05, 2014, 12:03:10 pm
4. "Young" Babb...  His older brother played for Iowa State and was a great player for us.  If he plays anything like his bro (a sharpshooter from 3 and a lockdown defender) he will be a fan favorite in the years to come.  Enjoy!

Babb has a smoothness off the dribble when attacking the rim. Once the game slows down for him, I think he will be able to use the pump fake to attack the rim a lot. The guy is an underrated leaper as well. With confidence and development, I can see him throwing down over people while driving to the hoop in the future.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Cyclonestate78 on December 05, 2014, 12:03:10 pm
As an Iowa State fan I came away from this game with several thoughts...

1.  By beating the Arkansas press Iowa State was able to push the ball with numbers on a consistent basis.  This is when our offense really gets going.  A couple of quick passes with an outnumbered and scrambling defense will result in shooters being left open and our kids knocked down those open looks. 

2.  We know Arkansas has a quality team with some high quality players and watching them live in person they were even more impressive.  Arkansas shot nearly 50% for the game, they are a strong team on the offensive boards, and they have the athletes to run that pressing defense that will create havoc for nearly every team they will face.  You guys have a very nice team and you are going to win a lot of games this season.  Last night was nothing more then your guys running into a team that has an offensive system that spaces the floor, feeds off of sharing the basketball, and with all 5 guys being able to knock down shots any pressure defense runs the risk of overplaying which leaves shooters open.

3.  Portis...  That kid is a fantastic player.  I'm not sure if he scored any points in the paint last night but it didn't matter.  That kid can knock down jumpers (contested jumpers at that) with ease.  He is going to be a real weapon for your team this year and will be a nightmare for other teams to try and defend.  From what I saw watching him I won't be surprised to see him be a 1st team All-Conference selection.  He is that good.

5.  Enjoy the NCAA Tournament this year...  because the Arkansas team I watched play last night will definitely be in the tourney. 

Good luck the rest of this season and know that the Cyclone Nation will be cheering for you guys.  PS.  Please beat Coach Cal and the best team boosters can buy (aka Kentucky).

We just ran into a buzz saw. ISU was jacked to the moon to make up for Maryland.

I still do have high hopes for my hogs.

Good luck to you all as well. Especially against KU and OU.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 12:06:10 pm
Let's say this too about Iowa State: They get a 6-9 power forward, Jameel McKay, eligible at semester. Then they will be able to handle matchups against teams like Maryland too.
I remember really wanting Coach MA to land him.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Smithian on December 05, 2014, 11:55:03 am
Can't defend and hustle your way out of a 20 point deficit. Have to leave in the guys who can put the ball in the hoop enough to close the gap.

This sums up our issue well.  The Hogs will have enough success in SEC play to make the NCAAT this season.  Had to get that disclaimer out of the way.  This is still a team with players who can't, or maybe more accurately won't, defend and score.  Portis, Qualls, Bell, Madden - 4 of the 5 starters aren't strong defenders.  If Bell isn't hitting shots he is a liability and on the road he usually doesn't shoot well.  Qualls did one of his disappearing acts last night but somehow played 37 minutes.  He plays with confidence when he senses the opponent is overmatched.  He looked like he didn't want to be there last night.  Mike brought Beard in who did show defensive effort but wasn't going to provide the offense to dig us out of the hole left by the starters.  Mike tried Watkins for defense but again that sacrifices offense. 

Someone got a little overexcited and declared the program as being back.  It won't be back until it has sustained success which won't come till Mike gets more players capable and willing to play his defense, or at least play some defense if he adjusts, and not be offensive liabilities.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Smithian on December 05, 2014, 11:55:03 am

No stops, no catchup.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 12:06:10 pm

We avoided a couple of good frontcourt players in the non conference. 

Smithian

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 12:07:52 pm
No stops, no catchup.
And there is the problem!

Got to recruit more of them players who are good at both ends. Or, at least, good at one end and passable at the other.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 05, 2014, 12:07:47 pm
This sums up our issue well.  The Hogs will have enough success in SEC play to make the NCAAT this season.  Had to get that disclaimer out of the way.  This is still a team with players who can't, or maybe more accurately won't, defend and score.  Portis, Qualls, Bell, Madden - 4 of the 5 starters aren't strong defenders.  If Bell isn't hitting shots he is a liability and on the road he usually doesn't shoot well.  Qualls did one of his disappearing acts last night but somehow played 37 minutes.  He plays with confidence when he senses the opponent is overmatched.  He looked like he didn't want to be there last night.  Mike brought Beard in who did show defensive effort but wasn't going to provide the offense to dig us out of the hole left by the starters.  Mike tried Watkins for defense but again that sacrifices offense. 

Someone got a little overexcited and declared the program as being back.  It won't be back until it has sustained success which won't come till Mike gets more players capable and willing to play his defense, or at least play some defense if he adjusts, and not be offensive liabilities.

This early, the young players are not ready to work in the flow of the offense, and none is an especially great scorer anyway. This team will be better in February-March when more players are involved in close games - I hope. At home, everything will work.
[CENSORED]!

Smithian

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 05, 2014, 12:07:47 pm

It's year four. Let's stop talking about "When we get some more players...."

What you see so far is probably what you're going to get.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Smithian on December 05, 2014, 12:11:17 pm
It's year four. Let's stop talking about "When we get some more players...."

What you see so far is probably what you're going to get.

I didn't want to go there since I'm accused of being overly critical.  Babb and Beard plus Whitt may change some of the dynamics with the team next season.  Kingsley will get Portis' minutes.  I agree 4 seasons in should be enough time.  But as Biggus says, the young guys may grow and become more of a factor in Feb and March. 

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 12:10:07 pm
This early, the young players are not ready to work in the flow of the offense, and none is an especially great scorer anyway. This team will be better in February-March when more players are involved in close games - I hope. At home, everything will work.

It will.  8-9 SEC wins at home.  We'll see who Mike trusts in Feb and March and how the newcomers react to the different intensity and physical level of SEC play.  At this point last season, he was playing Bell while Wade couldn't get on the court.  The team got better when he started valuing defense more. 

cableguy

Very well put Biggus Piggus.  I agree with all your analysis with the exception of Babbs. Babbs lacks confidence, but I see him becoming a bigger part of the team. Kingsley deserves more minutes. I always said, if the game is coming down to the wire, the opposing coach knows they can get a open shot anywhere Qualls is playing defense. I saw it happen a couple times last year. I think this game will teach the Hogs that they have to work hard on defense. This game very much reminded me of the Alabama game last year at the end of the season.   

Pork Twain

MA has bigger supporter than me, but this is getting old.  Tired of saying, "Hopefully things improve..."  Defense has to improve.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

ArkansasI

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 11:03:35 am
No way that players didn't get up for the game. They were unprepared, disorganized, and unable to respond to an opponent's superior game plan. Iowa State knew all the weaknesses of all of Arkansas's prime time players. They knew how to ensure that most of our defenders were in no man's land over and over.
This is what we're not discussing right now.  Are we incapable of game planning?  Nolan always expected teams to prepare for us, not the other way around.  That mindset worked so long as we had some talent, a long bench, and tenacity.

So, is this what Arkansas basketball is going to be?  We will force a scheme that has produced one Elite 8 appearance in 18 years, and tolerate players that apparently can't execute it properly?

This is Mike's team.  If they can't execute Mike's gameplan, then what is he going to do about it?

If this is the best we can expect, we need to do something different.

NO, I'M NOT CALLING FOR MIKE'S HEAD.  However, so long as this is what we are, don't expect Razorback fans to generate the excitement so many deem necessary to recruit better talent to the Hill.  Expect apathy.

hobhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 05, 2014, 12:22:13 pm
I didn't want to go there since I'm accused of being overly critical.  Babb and Beard plus Whitt may change some of the dynamics with the team next season.  Kingsley will get Portis' minutes.  I agree 4 seasons in should be enough time.  But as Biggus says, the young guys may grow and become more of a factor in Feb and March. 

It will.  8-9 SEC wins at home.  We'll see who Mike trusts in Feb and March and how the newcomers react to the different intensity and physical level of SEC play.  At this point last season, he was playing Bell while Wade couldn't get on the court.  The team got better when he started valuing defense more.

Kingsley needs more minutes, period. And they don't have to be Porris minutes, as I don't think they play the same position/style. Portis is a power forward, Kings is a center.

Cyclonestate78

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 05, 2014, 12:07:00 pm
We just ran into a buzz saw. ISU was jacked to the moon to make up for Maryland.

I still do have high hopes for my hogs.

Good luck to you all as well. Especially against KU and OU.

You should have high hopes.  There is a reason Hilton was rocking last night, there is a reason the ISU team was jacked for the game, and there is a reason that our fans were thrilled with how the game went last night...

It's because Arkansas is a very good team.  That was a big time conference game type atmosphere last night in Hilton...  and that doesn't happen in the non-con part of the schedule very often.  Monte Morris admitted in a post game interview last night that Iowa State started slow against Lamar on Tuesday night because they were overlooking them and had their sights set on Arkansas.  That is about as big of a compliment as you can get from an opposing player and speaks volumes about what our staff and players think of your team. 

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: swinesation on December 05, 2014, 10:00:06 am
Nobody is going to beat a team at home that shoots 64% from the field and 53% from the 3 PT line. That's excellent.

True, but our lack of pressure on the perimeter, and our poorly-positioned help defense when ISU drove, allowed such good percentages to happen.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

HF#1

You guys realize that there was a point in the game where WE were actually trying to slow things down? 

They just hit us so hard from the start, we wobbled the rest of the game.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hoggish1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 10:52:20 am

Two things:

1. If the opponent is not missing shots or making turnovers, usually that is death for Arkansas. The Hogs' offense even suffers. If the Hogs have to start possessions off inbounds plays, everything loses polish.
2. Doesn't it look like Hoiberg had scouted Arkansas inside out, while MA was blindsided? Scouting and specific game planning aren't really MA's style.

Does MA ALWAYS have to play as fast as possible?

On the road, the visiting team usually never shoots as well as it does at home.

It seems that a visiting team in a hostile environment, against a good team that shoots well, should not be playing as fast as we do, especially if we fall behind as much as we did, that early.

It just seems that playing that fast and that out of control just increases falling behind further at a faster rate.

Biggus Piggus

Some additional notes:

Arkansas shot 10-15 from 2-point range in the first half, 4-14 from 3-point range. That was something the Razorbacks had not done in previous games this season -- resort to wildly flinging up threes instead of being patient on offense.

Second half, Arkansas shot 9-18 from 2-point range, 5-11 from three. That was a better mix.

Hogs were outscored 9-0 at the line in the first half. That was half of the final margin.

Iowa State shot 11-14 -- no joke -- from 2-point range in the first half. And 7-14 from 3.

The Clones were 11-17 inside in the second half, also great. And 3-5 from 3.

[CENSORED]!

HF#1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 01:18:48 pm
Some additional notes:

Arkansas shot 10-15 from 2-point range in the first half, 4-14 from 3-point range. That was something the Razorbacks had not done in previous games this season -- resort to wildly flinging up threes instead of being patient on offense.

Second half, Arkansas shot 9-18 from 2-point range, 5-11 from three. That was a better mix.

Hogs were outscored 9-0 at the line in the first half. That was half of the final margin.

Iowa State shot 11-14 -- no joke -- from 2-point range in the first half. And 7-14 from 3.

The Clones were 11-17 inside in the second half, also great. And 3-5 from 3.

Freaking lights out.  It's hard to shoot that kind of percentage without another team on the court. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 05, 2014, 07:31:21 am
I really want to see a lot more Beard and a little more Watkins

Watkins plays good d but can't/will not shoot.  When you are behind and they are getting easy baskets with watkins on the floor you need more offense. Even though he wasn't the problem, I don't want to see him have more minutes, just my opinion.  Harris and Porter were getting abused early under the goal.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on December 05, 2014, 12:52:40 pm
True, but our lack of pressure on the perimeter, and our poorly-positioned help defense when ISU drove, allowed such good percentages to happen.
Were they shooting so great because they did not have a hand in their faces many times?  Sometimes a team gets hot and sometimes they just have open shots

Biggus Piggus

Breaking down the numbers, my conclusion is that MA needs to avoid playing any particular players for too long. Some of the rotations are hard to understand.

Last time it was really a game = 26-20 with 10:37 left in the first half. Jacorey Williams scored on a jumper, fed by Watkins. The five on court were Beard, Durham, Watkins, Williams and Kingsley. No starters.

They gave up a three, then Qualls came in for Williams. Shortly, Madden subbed for Beard. This five gave up 6-0. Portis and Bell came back, relieving Durham and Kingsley. Then Babb for Watkins. Another 5-0 allowed. In this sequence, spanning almost 5 minutes, the Hogs gave up 11 points without scoring.

And that was the game, folks.

Here's the plus/minus for the game. The number is the net scoring (Arkansas pts minus ISU pts) while the player was on the court.

+3 Beard
+1 Watkins
+0 Kingsley
-1 Williams
-3 Durham
-5 Babb (one brief stint)
-13 Qualls
-14 Harris
-16 Bell
-18 Portis
-24 Madden

Just because a number is negative doesn't mean it was all that player's fault. But note that the bottom five are the starters.

The starting five only played together for 6 minutes to begin the game + never entirely returned. They were outscored by 12.

Madden was there at the beginning when the Hogs fell behind by 12; when he returned for another 5-1/2 minutes, the Hogs were outscored by 10. He was there in the first three minutes of the second half, when Arkansas fell behind by another 3.

Madden had a final 11+ minute stretch in the second half, during which Arkansas outscored ISU by 1.

Player rotation got weird in this game:

1. Watkins entered at 14:04 in the first half and stayed for 6:43.
2. Qualls played all but 1:43 of the first half.
3. Durham played a 5:44 stretch and never returned.
4. Bell played the first 5:56 and the last 8:20 of the first half.
5. Qualls played all but 1:13 of the second half.
6. Beard played a 13:46 stretch in the second half.

Qualls played all that time and produced 10 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 TO, 2 blocks, 0 steals. I'm thinking he needed more frequent rest.

Harris, with a -14 in 18 minutes, maybe wasn't 100% healthy. He still shot OK for what that was worth.

The only groupings that had positive scoring margins during the game:

Beard | Madden | Qualls | Harris | Kingsley - +6 in 2:15
Beard | Madden | Watkins | Qualls | Kingsley - +5 in 2:34
Durham | Watkins | Qualls | Williams | Portis - +4 in 2:18
Beard | Bell | Watkins | Qualls | Portis - +3 in 2:30
Bell | Harris | Madden | Qualls | Portis - +1 in 0:40

Bell | Watkins | Qualls | Harris | Portis played the last 4:14 of the first half, when the Hogs desperately needed to close a 19-point deficit. They traded baskets and trailed 51-32 at half.

Bell | Watkins | Qualls | Williams | Portis played the last 3:16, inheriting an 18-point disadvantage. They also traded baskets the rest of the game.

The Bell | Qualls | Portis trio does not look good on defense.

The best scoring group: Beard | Madden | Harris | Qualls | Kingsley - scored 4.4 points per minute.

Also very good scoring:
Durham | Watkins | Qualls | Williams | Portis
Bell | Watkins | Harris | Qualls | Portis
Beard | Madden | Watkins | Qualls | Kingsley

The best scoring groups spent less than 8 minutes on court, altogether.

The really bad defensive groups:

Durham | Madden | Watkins | Qualls | Kingsley - when Durham and Watkins had been on court already for 5-6 minutes without rest in the first half.

Beard | Madden | Watkins | Harris | Kingsley - at end of a nearly 7-minute stint for Watkins.

Numerous other groupings had very poor performance on D, allowing more than 3 points per minute. Too many to list.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Just realized that over about 10 minutes of the game, Arkansas outscored ISU by 19, and in the other 30 minutes (concentrated into 20 really bad ones), the Hogs were outscored by 37.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 02:44:30 pm
Just realized that over about 10 minutes of the game, Arkansas outscored ISU by 19, and in the other 30 minutes (concentrated into 20 really bad ones), the Hogs were outscored by 37.

Reminds me of the Arkansas vs. Georgia game in Football.

Silky_Jackson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 02:40:08 pm
Breaking down the numbers, my conclusion is that MA needs to avoid playing any particular players for too long. Some of the rotations are hard to understand.

Last time it was really a game = 26-20 with 10:37 left in the first half. Jacorey Williams scored on a jumper, fed by Watkins. The five on court were Beard, Durham, Watkins, Williams and Kingsley. No starters.

They gave up a three, then Qualls came in for Williams. Shortly, Madden subbed for Beard. This five gave up 6-0. Portis and Bell came back, relieving Durham and Kingsley. Then Babb for Watkins. Another 5-0 allowed. In this sequence, spanning almost 5 minutes, the Hogs gave up 11 points without scoring.

And that was the game, folks.

Here's the plus/minus for the game. The number is the net scoring (Arkansas pts minus ISU pts) while the player was on the court.

+3 Beard
+1 Watkins
+0 Kingsley
-1 Williams
-3 Durham
-5 Babb (one brief stint)
-13 Qualls
-14 Harris
-16 Bell
-18 Portis
-24 Madden

Just because a number is negative doesn't mean it was all that player's fault. But note that the bottom five are the starters.

The starting five only played together for 6 minutes to begin the game + never entirely returned. They were outscored by 12.

Madden was there at the beginning when the Hogs fell behind by 12; when he returned for another 5-1/2 minutes, the Hogs were outscored by 10. He was there in the first three minutes of the second half, when Arkansas fell behind by another 3.

Madden had a final 11+ minute stretch in the second half, during which Arkansas outscored ISU by 1.

Player rotation got weird in this game:

1. Watkins entered at 14:04 in the first half and stayed for 6:43.
2. Qualls played all but 1:43 of the first half.
3. Durham played a 5:44 stretch and never returned.
4. Bell played the first 5:56 and the last 8:20 of the first half.
5. Qualls played all but 1:13 of the second half.
6. Beard played a 13:46 stretch in the second half.

Qualls played all that time and produced 10 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 TO, 2 blocks, 0 steals. I'm thinking he needed more frequent rest.

Harris, with a -14 in 18 minutes, maybe wasn't 100% healthy. He still shot OK for what that was worth.

The only groupings that had positive scoring margins during the game:

Beard | Madden | Qualls | Harris | Kingsley - +6 in 2:15
Beard | Madden | Watkins | Qualls | Kingsley - +5 in 2:34
Durham | Watkins | Qualls | Williams | Portis - +4 in 2:18
Beard | Bell | Watkins | Qualls | Portis - +3 in 2:30
Bell | Harris | Madden | Qualls | Portis - +1 in 0:40

Bell | Watkins | Qualls | Harris | Portis played the last 4:14 of the first half, when the Hogs desperately needed to close a 19-point deficit. They traded baskets and trailed 51-32 at half.

Bell | Watkins | Qualls | Williams | Portis played the last 3:16, inheriting an 18-point disadvantage. They also traded baskets the rest of the game.

The Bell | Qualls | Portis trio does not look good on defense.

The best scoring group: Beard | Madden | Harris | Qualls | Kingsley - scored 4.4 points per minute.

Also very good scoring:
Durham | Watkins | Qualls | Williams | Portis
Bell | Watkins | Harris | Qualls | Portis
Beard | Madden | Watkins | Qualls | Kingsley

The best scoring groups spent less than 8 minutes on court, altogether.

The really bad defensive groups:

Durham | Madden | Watkins | Qualls | Kingsley - when Durham and Watkins had been on court already for 5-6 minutes without rest in the first half.

Beard | Madden | Watkins | Harris | Kingsley - at end of a nearly 7-minute stint for Watkins.

Numerous other groupings had very poor performance on D, allowing more than 3 points per minute. Too many to list.

This should be stickied. +1000 brother

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 05, 2014, 09:41:30 am
They shot an unbelievably percentage for the game. Thats hard to beat no matter who your playing.

But a lot of that is attributable to the fact that they weren't meeting any resistance on dribble penetration, and guys were wide open from 3.  MA's teams will always be a roller coaster.  I'm done with getting too excited about a big win, or too down about a horrible loss.  It's mostly effort related, and sometimes it is there, and sometimes it isn't.   

To me, this is the harsh reality.  MA's employs Nolan's system, and we all know that.  The biggest difference is the fear factor.  Nolan had a presence that MA can't duplicate, and I think to make them hustle on every single play to make that style effective, they need that fear driving them.  It is THE biggest motivator.

We have a bunch of athletes, and there's no reason they can't play tough defense.  I get it that they may not be great shooters, or have great offensive skills, but a great athlete should be able to play stingy defense.  If they ever figure out that they CAN control effort and defense EVERY night, even if they're shooting badly...then they'll look like a different team.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 02:44:30 pm

Biggus...  There was one play that summed up the Hogs under both Nolan and MA.  An ISU guard passed the ball 5 feet to another player, and we had two defenders converge to trap him.  He threw it right back to him, all of 5 feet, and he shot an uncontested 3 point shot from the top of the key. 

I still contend that we would have won several more ballgames with one simple adjustment.  When other teams are hitting threes, stop the trap on the outside and just play heads up on defense.  We have given up more 3's on simple skip passes away from perimeter traps than any team in history...I'm convinced of it. 

Hey..if they're missing, and we can get a turnover or two...fine.  If they're DRILLING THEM, then CHANGE.   >:(

But alas...I have come to expect it, and when your only hope to win is that they come out ice cold from 3 in the second half, because you KNOW MA isn't going to change tactics, then at some point I just resigned myself to hoping other teams don't shoot well when we play them. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 05, 2014, 03:52:37 pm
Biggus...  There was one play that summed up the Hogs under both Nolan and MA.  An ISU guard passed the ball 5 feet to another player, and we had two defenders converge to trap him.  He threw it right back to him, all of 5 feet, and he shot an uncontested 3 point shot from the top of the key. 

I still contend that we would have won several more ballgames with one simple adjustment.  When other teams are hitting threes, stop the trap on the outside and just play heads up on defense.  We have given up more 3's on simple skip passes away from perimeter traps than any team in history...I'm convinced of it. 

Hey..if they're missing, and we can get a turnover or two...fine.  If they're DRILLING THEM, then CHANGE.   >:(

But alas...I have come to expect it, and when your only hope to win is that they come out ice cold from 3 in the second half, because you KNOW MA isn't going to change tactics, then at some point I just resigned myself to hoping other teams don't shoot well when we play them. 

You summed up exactly how I feel. I will watch. I hope they make the ncaat. But I know 3-5 times this year some guy will go off for a career night and some team 3-5 times will set some sort of shooting record against the Hogs. The ones that really bug me are when some guy scoring about 4ppg goes for 18+ because they just continue to trap away from him, and he gets to shoot warm up jumpers because no one is within 15 feet of him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

I hate the trap when a team is hot.  You have to make a change at that point.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 05, 2014, 11:49:07 am
My frustration is growing.  Hopefully MA makes the needed adjustments going forward.  If not, this will be a rough year and there is no way we land Monk or Allen.

Can't speak for those kids or how much they would like to play for the Razorbacks but they shouldn't be in a position of having to choose between being a Razorback or having to go elsewhere to get the best coaching and play for championships.

elksnort

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 05, 2014, 04:18:50 pm
I hate the trap when a team is hot.  You have to make a change at that point.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on December 05, 2014, 04:41:59 pm
Can't speak for those kids or how much they would like to play for the Razorbacks but they shouldn't be in a position of having to choose between being a Razorback or having to go elsewhere to get the best coaching and play for championships.

Now this is uncalled for. Don't go off the deep end.
[CENSORED]!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 06:49:18 am
Arkansas's minutes distribution at Iowa State (as bad as feared):

37 Qualls (0-2 inside, scorched on D)
31 Portis (offense and rebounding mentality, no D)
26 Madden (5 assists, 4 TO, 0 steals, not a strong defender)
23 Bell (0-6 outside, let's not talk about D)
21 Watkins (the first defense-oriented player shows up on the list)
18 Harris (all-around effort guy)
16 Beard (quickest guard)
11 Williams (most active player in the press)
9 Kingsley (best low post defender)
6 Durham
2 Babb

Exactly as feared, MA would narrow the minutes distribution in favor of a group of players that cannot play defense together very well. ISU got sooooo many easy shots against this mess.

If you do not truly wear down the opponent with pressure and player rotations, they can play five guys 31-37 minutes without so much as a shrug. That is what happened. Iowa State didn't even need its bench. Had 26 bench minutes total. Arkansas had 65, less than 80% of normal.

It was as though Arkansas was worried most about rebounding -- 91% defensive rebounding, the few that ISU missed. You know that if the rebounding % is that high, the pressure is nonexistent. Arkansas was -3 in turnover margin. Complete failure of pressure defense, entirely because of the player rotations. Can't ask guys who hate playing D to press. They wanted Sportscenter highlights.

just saw this bp.  well done.
The rest of the frog.