Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dear uneducated Football fans: nobody goes 38-0 in hoops.

Started by Arkansaspost1686, December 04, 2014, 10:05:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansaspost1686

Everyone loses.  Upsets happen. Nolan's top 10 team once lost to a junior college from Puerto Rico at home I think. 

I saw a first half down by 23 but we cut it to 11.  Guys didn't give up on the road at a tough arena with awful refs. Remember ISU was #10 in the country not too long ago.

The sky is not falling.  We can play defense.  We can win on the road.  Just not tonight.

If you came from MMQB to troll or whine  - go back.

010HogFan

Arkansaspost1686

We started 6-1 with a Road win already the last 20 years?

Really?

Arkansaspost1686

Quote from: Deeznutts on December 04, 2014, 10:07:25 pm
Yeah, that's it. The football fans (a subdivision of Arkansas) hate the basketball team (another subdivision). How ignorant.

They don hate it. But many that dont follow hoops dont realize how often losses happen.

Danny J

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 04, 2014, 10:06:42 pm
Good post but I'm still mad.
Me too.....I wish CMA would give me 24hrs with the team. I would make them play 5 on 5 defense until they couldn't walk. Giving up 95 points is inexcusable.

tomahawkhog

The whiners are out in full force.  College basketball Is a long year. I'm not worried yet
Go Hogs!

Dr. Starcs

CMA contributes to the defensive problems with his stubbornness to "pressure" in the halfcourt 45 feet from the basket.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

King

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on December 04, 2014, 10:06:18 pm
Dear idiot,

We've seen the same dang thing the past 20 years.  Go on the road, play zero defense, look lost on offense, and get blown out.  Same ole same ole.

Which of the 4 coaches during that period do you hold most responsible?  Are you sure you don't mean 19 years, or 18?

reddogjcss

That's so true and hope they use loose to spring forward to next game. Time to get the IM PEED AND AINT TAKING IIT NO MORE ATTITUDE!

wupigsuey

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on December 04, 2014, 10:07:41 pm
against an absolutely depleted team.  Yea I did.  We lose to Clemson and Georgia to open SEC play.

ahhh yes. we win, they suck. we lose, we suck. thanks for your contribution.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

pfrg999

Bad half.. Ugly Half.. But one half of Basketball in one of the Hardest places to win does not a season make...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HogsBalls

Well written. The refs sucked bad tonight and they shot lights out in the first half.

imtad16

Iowa State got thumped at home by Maryland two games ago. They lost by 9 but were down by 15 in the 2nd half and that was all at home. Teams have bad games. Wisconsin lost by 10 to Duke at home. Kentucky will have bad games this season. Duke will have bad games this season. North Carolina has tons of talent and a Hall of Fame coach and they are playing terrible. I could go on. We will be alright. Do what Aaron Rodgers would tell you to do.

rude1

This would mean something if there wasn't a pattern of seeing what we seen tonight on the road, it's the rule not the exception.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HogsBalls on December 04, 2014, 10:17:59 pm
Well written. The refs sucked bad tonight and they shot lights out in the first half.

I didn't see the refs take any shots...

imtad16

Well this year will be different.  It will be the exception this season.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 04, 2014, 10:21:27 pm
I didn't see the refs take any shots...

yeah, we had 3 more fouls than them... looked like they called it about the same, which is all you can ask..

jry04

Quote from: imtad16 on December 04, 2014, 10:19:03 pm
Iowa State got thumped at home by Maryland two games ago. They lost by 9 but were down by 15 in the 2nd half and that was all at home. Teams have bad games. Wisconsin lost by 10 to Duke at home. Kentucky will have bad games this season. Duke will have bad games this season. North Carolina has tons of talent and a Hall of Fame coach and they are playing terrible. I could go on. We will be alright. Do what Aaron Rodgers would tell you to do.
It was not at home. They have not lost at home to a non conference opponent since 2011.

razorbackchamps94

Let's see how they respond at Clemson ... If they lose that then it's time to worry

Knot2brite

The problem is that this is a somewhat experienced team and they should be able to adjust to the way the game is called and played. We haven't done this since Nolan was here. We played porous defense and settled for long range jump shots while ISU took the ball to the goal and drew fouls. When we went to double team they threw to the open man at the arc and he nailed it. Madden almost had his ankles broken a couple times trying to stop the dribbler going to the goal. Not bashing him because it was all of them playing trail the ball defense. That has been the identity of this team for years under three different coaches. We have NO true post player( although Kingsley made a couple low post plays) and the fact that ISU only sent two players to rebound the ball at the blocks and we stood there is a concern. Some things have to change before conference.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

bigred223

Quote from: jry04 on December 04, 2014, 10:27:49 pm
It was not at home. They have not lost at home to a non conference opponent since 2011.

Don't confuse people with facts. If it doesn't fit their agenda, then it can't be true.

Fatty McGee

Sometimes the other guy just gets hot.  And when he does, things start rolling downhill for him.  No one holds on to the ball too long.  Shots start flowing like water.  You feel confident, you play confident.  Even the rebounds come your way.  As Anderson said, it wasn't that we weren't playing hard. 

It happens in all sports, but most noticeably in basketball. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

-Blu

I didn't read anything in this thread, but this is by far the best title topic in Jumpball history IMO.

pigture perfect

Thanks for the reprimand, Mr 41 total posts.  Many of us know just as much about basketball as we do football. We lost and it makes someof us fans mad, the way we tend to lose.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Atlhogfan1

Hog fans should be able to give their opinion as long as it falls within board rules no matter how often they post in this forum.  Don't make this forum like others. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 04, 2014, 10:23:37 pm
yeah, we had 3 more fouls than them... looked like they called it about the same, which is all you can ask..

this

naturalbornpigger

The ISU team was top 10 tonight.   No doubt.  Shooting, defense, turnovers, luck.... all went their way.  Great talent.  Well coached.  They were at home after a loss.  This happens.   The Razorback team I saw was not the prior years "road loser" we have watched.  They came back and had a chance at 10m.  That Niang dude or whatever - was as effective as I have seen in a long time.  We are going to get beat.  Kentucky is going to get beat.  I like us as the season progresses.

naturalbornpigger

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 04, 2014, 10:42:25 pm
Sometimes the other guy just gets hot.  And when he does, things start rolling downhill for him.  No one holds on to the ball too long.  Shots start flowing like water.  You feel confident, you play confident.  Even the rebounds come your way.  As Anderson said, it wasn't that we weren't playing hard. 

Yep.

hogsanity

Quote from: Danny J on December 04, 2014, 10:09:17 pm
Me too.....I wish CMA would give me 24hrs with the team. I would make them play 5 on 5 defense until they couldn't walk. Giving up 95 points is inexcusable.

don't blame the players, the system is going to leave shooters wide open. It is a trade off for trying to force turnovers. It works great, until it doesn't. When the other team is knocking down shots, it can get ugly in a hurry.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 04, 2014, 10:42:25 pm

and when that happens dont you think it would be a good idea to NOT leave shooters wide open?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Knot2brite

Quote from: hogsanity on December 04, 2014, 11:13:12 pm
don't blame the players, the system is going to leave shooters wide open. It is a trade off for trying to force turnovers. It works great, until it doesn't. When the other team is knocking down shots, it can get ugly in a hurry.
But there has to be a plan b when plan a isn't working...if pressure isn't causing turnovers there is always playing half court defense ...we simply do not show the ability to do that and have not in many years...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on December 04, 2014, 11:14:19 pm
and when that happens dont you think it would be a good idea to NOT leave shooters wide open?

It's like some of y'all have never seen Arkansas take or male a wide open shot. It happens in basketball. I thought we played pretty solid defense in the second half. There were a lot of contested ISU shots.

There were a lot of iffy foul calls in the second half that helped rack their total up, which made it hard for us to come back in this game with the double bonus.

Iowa State played like Arkansas does at home. Which some fans can't understand that other teams do that. If we beat Clemson, we are still on good pace. We were never supposed to win this game.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Knot2brite on December 04, 2014, 11:58:05 pm
But there has to be a plan b when plan a isn't working...if pressure isn't causing turnovers there is always playing half court defense ...we simply do not show the ability to do that and have not in many years...
exactly^^^. There is no plan b and we have been reminded many times that MA will do it his way ...win or lose. Go Hogs.

I did not expect to win this game, but I had hoped that we would compete. I was disappointed , but it's over. Get'em the next game.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2014, 05:42:09 am
It's like some of y'all have never seen Arkansas take or male a wide open shot. It happens in basketball. I thought we played pretty solid defense in the second half. There were a lot of contested ISU shots.

There were a lot of iffy foul calls in the second half that helped rack their total up, which made it hard for us to come back in this game with the double bonus.

Iowa State played like Arkansas does at home. Which some fans can't understand that other teams do that. If we beat Clemson, we are still on good pace. We were never supposed to win this game.

I have a thread about how this game was basically the hogs playing with house money. IT was a free shot, and win or lose, the game helps the rpi.

My only thing with the shooters being left open is that in the Hogs system, it is done by design. When you trap it is simply a numbers game, someone is left open, it is not a question of they get open, or they shoot off the dribble, it is a someone leaving their man or their zone area, INTENTIONALLY, which simply leaves someone open.

How many times in the last several seasons have we heard " and so and so from the opponent just set a career high " Or " well, tonight team X set a new high in three pointers for the season ". If it happens once, well it is just not your night, but it has happened over and over and over.

Again, I agree, the game last night, itself, was not worth much angst.

Speedracer

Quote from: Arkansaspost1686 on December 04, 2014, 10:05:32 pm
Everyone loses.  Upsets happen. Nolan's top 10 team once lost to a junior college from Puerto Rico at home I think. 

I saw a first half down by 23 but we cut it to 11.  Guys didn't give up on the road at a tough arena with awful refs. Remember ISU was #10 in the country not too long ago.

The sky is not falling.  We can play defense.  We can win on the road.  Just not tonight.

Stupid post. UCLA, busted argument.
Like smites bother me.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 04, 2014, 10:23:37 pm

If you watched the game you would know better. It wasn't the amount of fouls it was the type of fouls. When they called a foul on them it was an obvious foul. A lot of fouls they called on us were ticky tack fouls and momentum breaking fouls that sent them to the free throw line and ultimately stopped any momentum we were building.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Smithian

Last night's loss wasn't the end of the world since unlike previous years the Hogs have a strong schedule and have many opportunities to prove themselves, but I'm not a fan of the "You're an idiot and know nothing about basketball if you thought the Razorbacks should have won last night!" line of thinking.

The Hogs were ranked higher and this is supposed to be the year they take off. It is okay to be frustrated over a loss. I bet even Anderson himself is a grumpy after that loss, and I don't lump him in with the "uneducated football fans crowd".

popcornhog

I understand your point, but a few corrections.

-ISU was not in the top 10. 13 was the highest they got.
-As recently as 1975-1976 Indiana did go undefeated.

But, yeah. The sky isn't falling. We should be fine. We had success when we actually attacked the rim. The refs weren't horrible but they did blow the whistle a lot.

ISU just out played us. It happens. They shot the ball very well with hands in their faces.

We will be fine though. Another road game is coming up and then a monster game against Dayton in the Bud. For the love of all that is good, if you live in Arkansas, please fill that building on Dec. 13.
WPS

DeltaBoy

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2014, 05:42:09 am

[/b]

Yep that is all I read this past week.  They are the toughest place to play in the Big 12.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

In the words of Aaron Rodgers.
R.E.L.A.X.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

yraciv

U Conn women do all the time, but I agree with sentiment.

One game, one of the hardest places to play in the country, top 25 opponent, and they shot the lights out.  Can we improve on defense? Certainly, but it happens. You put it behind you and move on!

hogman99

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2014, 10:10:26 pm
CMA contributes to the defensive problems with his stubbornness to "pressure" in the halfcourt 45 feet from the basket.

BINGO!!

Cresthog

Good post. I refused to come here after last night.

It's like talking reason to ISIS. No point whatsoever.

hogman99

Quote from: imtad16 on December 04, 2014, 10:19:03 pm

They lost in Kansas City, not at home.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400608478

mbgrulz

Quote from: hogsanity on December 05, 2014, 07:59:30 am
My only thing with the shooters being left open is that in the Hogs system, it is done by design. When you trap it is simply a numbers game, someone is left open, it is not a question of they get open, or they shoot off the dribble, it is a someone leaving their man or their zone area, INTENTIONALLY, which simply leaves someone open.

This is a poor interpretation of the way we are SUPPOSED to play...CMA is not INTENTIONALLY leaving someone open...

When you extend your pressure and bring traps, sure, you are prone to giving up some easy stuff, BUT that's not SUPPOSED to happen. If you trap well, and rotate correctly, they should not get an open shot. The issue becomes, how good are they at passing out of traps and can they knock down a shot with somebody running at them? ISU moved the ball so well, and we'd get caught with our pants down...Factor that in with an out of their mind shooting night, and you have a beat down on your hands. If you're able to slow that ball down with traps and pressure, then they can't get the open shots that you saw last night and the system works perfectly.

As for the 3 point record thing, that goes all the way back to Pel's teams. They were the world's worst at getting blasted from the 3 point line.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogman99 on December 05, 2014, 10:15:22 am
They lost in Kansas City, not at home.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400608478

Yeah, been hearing a lot of people say that on the radio, that they lost at home to Maryland.

Since I watched the game live, I kept wanting to call in and correct them.

Biggus Piggus

Bad year to say nobody goes undefeated. Kentucky might do it.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2014, 11:49:02 am
Bad year to say nobody goes undefeated. Kentucky might do it.
Has there EVER been a roster that stacked from top to bottom?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/