Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did anyone post this? Iowa State-side preview

Started by Biggus Piggus, December 04, 2014, 05:40:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/news/encyclonepedia-iowa-state-vs-arkansas/

Some quotes:

"From my mock impromptu scouting of Arkansas that consisted of watching their second half against Iona (TWICE!), I think the ISU offense will be able to get almost any look it wants. Arkansas mostly used a lot of full court man pressure but once Iona beat the initial wave they were able to get to the rim and hurt the Arkansas defense. They didn't retreat especially well or cover up and help well enough after Iona broke the press, which they usually did."

Yes - if MA keeps Portis, Madden and Qualls on court together for extended time, as vs. Iona, the pressure will be this faulty. It will be more of an outscore-em game. Iona shot 50% inside the arc. Not fantastic, but undesirably high from a defensive POV.

"The Cyclones have to move the ball around quickly but also up the court with the pass to beat the pressure and they have to knock down some shots. If Arkansas sticks to playing man defense that will only help Niang to hit his scoring stride. On defense, if the Cyclones can avoid giving up clean looks at the 3-point line and prevent second chance looks for the Razorbacks on offense."

He forgot to finish that last sentence. It is hard to keep Arkansas from getting the 3-point shots it wants, because the Hogs don't work with treys first in mind. At least they haven't so far. If they start doing that, things might go south.

This isn't like playing Syracuse, though, somebody with a really sick defensive system that is foreign and makes a decent team go cold. Iowa State plays only enough defense to get by. That is why this should be a really competitive game all the way.
[CENSORED]!

Randy Johnson

chiefhawg

Man I would really like to be at a table with you and this guy as you talk hoops.

Danny J

Quote from: RazorWorld on December 04, 2014, 05:52:20 pm
Do you think they can run with us?
It is not whether or not they can run with us but will the whistles allow the game to go up and down.

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Randy Johnson

Quote from: Danny J on December 04, 2014, 05:53:36 pm
It is not whether or not they can run with us but will the whistles allow the game to go up and down.

I noticed one of their starters plays 36 ave. !!!!
Several others over 30

Danny J

Quote from: RazorWorld on December 04, 2014, 05:59:27 pm
I noticed one of their starters plays 36 ave. !!!!
Several others over 30
Correct....need to hope the refs swallow their whistles. If the game is a plodding pace where they are consistently marching to the FT line then we are in trouble. If we are allowed to play like we are in BWA then I like our chances.

Hogimus Prime

I have a bad feeling the refs are not going to swallow their whistles and its going to be plodding ft ISU free throw contest. 

masshog2412

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 04, 2014, 06:29:42 pm
I have a bad feeling the refs are not going to swallow their whistles and its going to be plodding ft ISU free throw contest.
I would be surprised if they didnt have ISU parading to the line...cant have the superior B1G contender losing at home to an SEC school you know that

intelligence

Quote from: masshog2412 on December 04, 2014, 06:37:45 pm
I would be surprised if they didnt have ISU parading to the line...cant have the superior B1G contender losing at home to an SEC school you know that

They are calling the LSU / WVU game pretty loosely IMO. probably see the same thing in our game.

earshot

Peteypie

Just curious why you locked the ISU board thread?

40MINSOFHELL

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 04, 2014, 05:40:39 pm
Yes - if MA keeps Portis, Madden and Qualls on court together for extended time, as vs. Iona, the pressure will be this faulty. It will be more of an outscore-em game.

Ugh. It happened.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!