Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next 4 games will decide this season

Started by razorhead94, February 01, 2018, 12:02:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead94

Arkansas really needs to sweep these next 4 games and all are very winnable; otherwise they'll be forced to win out I believe on the last 4-5.  You certainly don't want to put yourself in that situation.

@LSU (RPI 80)
South Carolina (61)
Vanderbilt (119)
@Ole Miss (79)

Last 5:
Texas A&M (29)
Kentucky (12)
@Alabama (36)
Auburn (6)
@Missouri (31)
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

razorpimp

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 01, 2018, 12:02:08 pm
Arkansas really needs to sweep these next 4 games and all are very winnable; otherwise they'll be forced to win out I believe on the last 4-5.  You certainly don't want to put yourself in that situation.

@LSU (RPI 80)
South Carolina (61)
Vanderbilt (119)
@Ole Miss (79)

Last 5:
Texas A&M (29)
Kentucky (12)
@Alabama (36)
Auburn (6)
@Missouri (31)

They HAVE to go 3-1!

OkieBack

I was looking at that this morning.  I agree.  Win these next handful of games because it will get tougher as the regular season closes.  It would be nice to beat the Big Dogs of the conference, but realistically we need to take care of business now and not have to worry about help along the way.   

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cardsNhogs

I say we go .500 in conference and miss the NCAA T

The_Iceman

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 01, 2018, 12:58:10 pm
I say we go .500 in conference and miss the NCAA T

If we do, then we won't make the tournament next year either. So we should just get ahead of the debacle and fire Mike after this season.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2018, 01:29:13 pm
If we do, then we won't make the tournament next year either. So we should just get ahead of the debacle and fire Mike after this season.
If we don't make the NCAA T this year then he should not be our head coach next year as we start over.. This is his Senior Heavy Team and he isn't getting it done! Move on time

HogFaninMemphis

I think we can even go 2-2 if we win one of those road games, but that'd require a winning record in the last 5 to get to .500 in conference. still probably would get us in. We're currently comfortably in the tourney, even though many of you seem to think that we're on the outside looking in or something.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

jst01

No, the last 5 games will decide the season.  The worst case scenario in the next 4 games is going 2-2, IMO.  Lose away games and win home games.  So after that you are still in the same position as you are in now.  Go 3-1 then that's gravy.

Its the last 5 games that are the key. A&M and Kentucky are more balanced and Hogs don't match up well with either team.  Bama and Auburn will be favored in those games.  AR might be favored at Mizzu. 

Even if you go 3-1 in the next four games,  if you lay an egg in the last 5 games, you miss the tourney. 

yraciv

We'll finish 6-3, 10-8 in conference. Should be plenty to get us in with the strong nonconference showing.

hogsanity

Quote from: jst01 on February 01, 2018, 02:33:11 pm
No, the last 5 games will decide the season.  The worst case scenario in the next 4 games is going 2-2, IMO.  Lose away games and win home games.  So after that you are still in the same position as you are in now.  Go 3-1 then that's gravy.

Its the last 5 games that are the key. A&M and Kentucky are more balanced and Hogs don't match up well with either team.  Bama and Auburn will be favored in those games.  AR might be favored at Mizzu. 

Even if you go 3-1 in the next four games,  if you lay an egg in the last 5 games, you miss the tourney. 

Actually the worst case is going 0-4.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

daprospecta

20 wins and 1 or more wins in the SEC tourney will have us squarely in the tourney.

gmarv54

1-4 on the road and 4-1 at home should get us in the tourney.That seems do able to me.

Jim Harris

Quote from: yraciv on February 01, 2018, 02:43:08 pm
We'll finish 6-3, 10-8 in conference. Should be plenty to get us in with the strong nonconference showing.

I can easily see a 2-7 finish, but if they can beat UK and A&M at home, maybe 4-5.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

jst01

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 01, 2018, 03:12:57 pm
I can easily see a 2-7 finish, but if they can beat UK and A&M at home, maybe 4-5.

Agree.  After BARELY winning home games against average teams and getting plastered on the road against talented teams, I just don't get these people predicting for sure wins against Kentucky and A&M.  No matter what those teams have done so far, they are deeper and more talented than AR. The miracles at Bud wont happen every time.

The_Iceman

L - @LSU
W - SC
W - Vandy
L - @OM
W - A&M
L - UK
L - @Bama
L - Auburn
L - @Mizzou

Final Record: 18-13 (7-11 SEC).

NIT Bound. Mike should lose his job. But too many nostalgia fans and boosters will be too scared to fire him and will convince themselves we "can't do better" and will stick with him. We will further decend under Mediocre Mike and miss the Tournament again in 2019. Finally, intelligence will win out and we will let Mike go, a year too late.

Razorback_Mack

@LSU (RPI 80)
South Carolina (61)
Vanderbilt (119)
@Ole Miss (79)

Last 5:
Texas A&M (29)
Kentucky (12)
@Alabama (36)
Auburn (6)
@Missouri (31)
You're scenario is simply ridiculous. If we go 3-1 in the next 4 or even 2-2 there's no way that we have to win out to get it. Both of those scenarios would put us with 11-12 conference wins. We'd be a 6 seed or better with that record. We're solidly in the tournament with our current resume.  5-4 down the stretch gets us in as a 10 or 11 seed. 6-3 we end up about where we are 8-9 range. 7-2 or better and we're talking 6 seed.

We're currently a 9 with a conference record of 4-5. No way 5-4 down the stretch doesn't get us in.

lynbug

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 01, 2018, 03:12:57 pm
With either of these scenarios they end with a sub-500 conference record which means they need to get hot in the SEC tourney.  Does anyone see that happening?  It's looking like NIT here we come.  Not being pessimistic....just realistic...based on what we've been seeing lately.

lynbug

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2018, 03:20:14 pm
L - @LSU
W - SC
W - Vandy
L - @OM
W - A&M
L - UK
L - @Bama
L - Auburn
L - @Mizzou

NIT Bound. Mike should lose his job. But too many nostalgia fans and boosters will be too scared to fire him and will convince themselves we "can't do better" and will stick with him. We will further decend under Mediocre Mike and miss the Tournament again in 2019. Finally, intelligence will win out and we will let Mike go, a year too late.
Hate to say..but this W-L  is probably more realistic than we want to think.  At this point we seem to be going in the wrong direction.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 01, 2018, 02:06:54 pm
I think we can even go 2-2 if we win one of those road games, but that'd require a winning record in the last 5 to get to .500 in conference. still probably would get us in. We're currently comfortably in the tourney, even though many of you seem to think that we're on the outside looking in or something.
Jerry Palm with CBS tweeted yesterday that we would need to finish 7-2 to feel comfortable about being in.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 01, 2018, 07:41:57 pm
Jerry Palm with CBS tweeted yesterday that we would need to finish 7-2 to feel comfortable about being in.
He currently has us has a 8 seed. If he said that he's completely contradicting himself. If we go 7-2 we'll have a top 20 RPI.

Davidr295

Quote from: yraciv on February 01, 2018, 02:43:08 pm

lol

WillsWorld

L - @LSU
W - SC
W - Vandy
L - @OM
W - A&M
L - UK
L - @Bama
L - Auburn
L - @Mizzou

Probably as realistic as it can be but the team from earlier in the season could beat Kentucky and Auburn at home, but they've been missing since conference play began so who knows when they return if in fact they ever return.

hobhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2018, 01:29:13 pm

hawgfan4life

This time last year fans were saying how many we needed to win and it was far more than reality.  They were saying we had little chance of getting into the tournament.  There are a lot of scenarios that still can play out.  AR needs to play better consistently, but we are far from being out yet.

razorhead94

Another loss during this stretch and hogs are in big trouble.  The numbers will start to hurt.  Even the next two wins will not help the RPI.  Already dropped to 40 now.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

hobhog

Outside looking in. We are gong to have to win our way in now with big run. Doubtful at best as this team looks played out....

OkieBack

Quote from: hobhog on February 04, 2018, 08:43:43 am
Outside looking in. We are gong to have to win our way in now with big run. Doubtful at best as this team looks played out....

I have to agree.  This team doesn't seem to grasp what it will take defensively.  The loss at LSU hurt and I'm afraid this team's NCAA chances are in the balance now.  They are going to have to show that they deserve to go and this will only be accomplished with quality wins.  Wins are looking more scarce on the schedule after these next few games so I hope the team has it in them.  Time for a major gut check.

TuCanSam

L - @LSU
W - SC
W - Vandy
L - @OM
W - A&M
L - UK
L - @Bama
L - Auburn
L - @Mizzou

This is as realistic as it gets... sad but true.
"SMILE!!!!"
-John L. SMith

OkieBack

I was giving this team the benefit of the doubt but their back is against the wall now.  They will either come out fighting and figure it all out, or they will wilt.  Many of you have written them off this year and at this point I'll admit things are pretty low.  This last weekend proves that any of the top teams can be beaten late in the season.  But the Hogs have to show they are a team that has to be reckoned with.  Defensively they are a not good.  They can't continue to play this weak form a defense and expect to make it to the tournament.  Gotta guard.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: lynbug on February 01, 2018, 06:26:40 pm
Hate to say..but this W-L  is probably more realistic than we want to think.  At this point we seem to be going in the wrong direction.

And I hate to agree with you. I even question the A&M win prediction. But that could be traded for another W somewhere. Like possibly Ole Miss. I'm just not feeling too good about things right now.

RacinRazorback

L - @LSU
W - SC
W - Vandy
L - @OM
W - A&M
L - UK
L - @Bama
L - Auburn
L - @Mizzou

This exactly the way I think it plays out, sad but true!