Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC coaches vote to change Vandy's Memorial Gym coaches box

Started by jbcarol, March 04, 2015, 01:18:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ยท  Mar 2

#SEC coaches voted to force #Vandy to change coach box. http://tnne.ws/1B305VV 

QuoteAn SEC request, not an NCAA mandate, was the initial source of extending the unique coaching box at Vanderbilt's Memorial Gym. Bruce Pearl was among Vanderbilt's few supporters.

"I believe in tradition, and that's Vanderbilt's home court," Pearl said. "They should be able to decide how they want it operated."

In regards to those voting for the change, Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings said he was "disappointed that we had some people whine about a coaching box that's been in play for many, many years ... But I had some support from a couple of the guys in the league, but not enough apparently."

The Memorial Gym coaching boxes, which have been along the baseline since the arena's construction in 1952, will be extended down the north sideline beyond the 3-point line and toward the scorer's table, beginning in the 2015-16 season. Head coaches, not assistants, will be allowed to walk throughout the box during games. Per the current rules, players will remain in the bench area on the baseline except when going to the scorer's table to check into the game.

The SEC submitted a request to the NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Committee following the 2014 annual SEC Spring Meetings last May to extend the Memorial Gym coaching box, according to SEC spokesman Craig Pinkerton...

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net