Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calipari: "we just got more people"

Started by Piglet Dispersion Syndrome, February 28, 2015, 05:25:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

February 28, 2015, 05:25:44 pm Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:28:38 pm by Piglet Dispersion Syndrome
Post game comments saying how Hogs have beat them 3x in a row because we are a physical team, but this year we got more people. Interesting.

3kgthog

And he still has a losing record against MA.

Hogfaniam

They made 51% of their shots. Over 60% in the second half.  We made 35%.  They shot 6 more times than we did.  We had 5 more turn overs.  If we had hit half our open shots and not missed so many point blank shots, it would've come down to the wire.

They made open shots, we didn't.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

userpick

Cagliari???? I know mistakes on iPhones happen but wow!

hillhog

If we knew how to throw more decent passes and not those soft floaters toward a man that is more or less closely guarded might help just a little.

urkillnmesmalls

I thought that comment was typical Calipari smugness.  Remember, he was the one who once said that he didn't see any benefit from playing lesser competition when Memphis dropped their annual game with us.  I LOVED it that we beat them twice last year.  I love it every time Calipari loses. 

He was more or less trying to say we came out in years' past and shoved his "young" guys around, and they didn't have the depth to handle it.  Seriously?  Has there been a recent year where they haven't had at least 5 Parade All Americans?  Yeah, there's such a HUGE drop off in talent when they go to their bench... /sarcasm.   

They beat us up today.  They're very good.  But...they shot a ridiculous percentage, and that wouldn't happen every game.  I think if we played them 5 there, and 5 at BWA....we'd win 1 or 2 at BWA, and likely lose every one of them at Rupp.

Again...we won't win many meaningful games against teams with really good guards, because we don't cut people off.  We let them dribble right around us and into the lane, and until we stop doing that, we'll struggle with those teams.  We were getting better, but tonight we regressed some. 

I was still VERY proud of our effort.  They never quit, and it almost seemed like once the loss was inevitable, we settled down a little and played a little better. 

I always hear people talk about how it's hard to play the Hogs because you can't prepare for what they do.  Well...it's hard to prepare for KY, because they are all about 3-4 inches taller than you, and they can all shoot the nets off.  It's not, "Hey, be sure you cover that guy...he can bomb the 3."  They have 3-4 guys out there who can hit that shot almost every minute of the game. 

I sincerely hope KY plays against an experienced team that can match them athletically, and beats them in the NCAAT.  I would love to hear smug Calipari whine a little...
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 28, 2015, 10:53:46 pm
Actually no he doesn't.

Isn't it 5-3 in favor of MA? Post a link if I'm wrong, just goin off memory.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Iwastherein1969

Bottom line to this game...we have one alpha male, they have 3...and UK wanted this game as badly as they have wanted any game besides the NC last year...Calipari is a master motivator....and anyone who thinks that UK let up on us when they got that big lead was watching some game on ESPNU because CAL would have won by 50 if given the chance...he knows who the real threat in the SEC is going to be in the future and its dammed sure not the Georgia Bulldogs or the LSU Tigers. Calipari wanted to nuke our program back to the stone ages of some 10 years ago..but that didn't happen. ANd if we get these guys in the SEC tournament, its going to be a war.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HogCzar1

Knowing that he had 9 McDonald's All Americans on the squad, I am glad that Cal felt "he had more people".

Kentucky is tremendously talented. More talent on that squad than any team in college basketball. They played great today. They have had this game circled on the calendar, and they played with more passion today than most of their wins this year.

I was proud of our effort. We did not play nearly well enough considering how well they shot the ball. In this game, those unforced turnovers and 25% shooting were far too much to overcome.

The most important thing about today is how well we respond next week. We need to beat USC-E and LSU. If we can, then I think our guys will play with a chip on our shoulder in Nashville. I would like to see us get another crack at them.

We aren't nearly as talented as UK, but we can play with them if we can knockdown shots. I know there has been a lot of talk about Bobby going pro, but I have a sneaky feeling he will return. Not because he won't be a top 20 pick, but I think he has more goals in mind first at UA.

We all knew today was a supreme challenge. UK played great. They are not unbeatable. I still think they will not run the table.

We need to finish strong, attain a good seed, and enter the NCAAs on a high note.

Rawker

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 28, 2015, 10:53:46 pm
Actually no he doesn't.
Uh....yes he does.  UAB vs Memphis + Mizz vs Memphis + UK vs UA = more wins for Mike, and that's About 20 McD AAs (when you include the Memphis teams) vs 1.  Plus he beat him where it REALLY counted, in an Elite 8 game, which was also at least a couple McD AAs, including an NBA MVP, vs 0. Mike's game plan obviously matches up well against Cal in most cases, but you have to hit shots.  Plus, where it wasn't enough to beat Mike with 4-5 top players, Cal went and got 9 this time....apparently that's the ticket.

jchill

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 28, 2015, 09:31:25 pm
I thought that comment was typical Calipari smugness.  Remember, he was the one who once said that he didn't see any benefit from playing lesser competition when Memphis dropped their annual game with us.  I LOVED it that we beat them twice last year.  I love it every time Calipari loses. 

He was more or less trying to say we came out in years' past and shoved his "young" guys around, and they didn't have the depth to handle it.  Seriously?  Has there been a recent year where they haven't had at least 5 Parade All Americans?  Yeah, there's such a HUGE drop off in talent when they go to their bench... /sarcasm.   

They beat us up today.  They're very good.  But...they shot a ridiculous percentage, and that wouldn't happen every game.  I think if we played them 5 there, and 5 at BWA....we'd win 1 or 2 at BWA, and likely lose every one of them at Rupp.

Again...we won't win many meaningful games against teams with really good guards, because we don't cut people off.  We let them dribble right around us and into the lane, and until we stop doing that, we'll struggle with those teams.  We were getting better, but tonight we regressed some. 

I was still VERY proud of our effort.  They never quit, and it almost seemed like once the loss was inevitable, we settled down a little and played a little better. 

I always hear people talk about how it's hard to play the Hogs because you can't prepare for what they do.  Well...it's hard to prepare for KY, because they are all about 3-4 inches taller than you, and they can all shoot the nets off.  It's not, "Hey, be sure you cover that guy...he can bomb the 3."  They have 3-4 guys out there who can hit that shot almost every minute of the game. 

I sincerely hope KY plays against an experienced team that can match them athletically, and beats them in the NCAAT.  I would love to hear smug Calipari whine a little...

Early in the game, their guards had trouble against our press. I think if we play them again in the SEC Tourney it will be a win for the Hogs. I really think we can exploit their guards ball-handling skills. We just got too far down too quickly, it will be a different story if we meet again.

jimmur74

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 28, 2015, 05:31:01 pm
They made 51% of their shots. Over 60% in the second half.  We made 35%.  They shot 6 more times than we did.  We had 5 more turn overs.  If we had hit half our open shots and not missed so many point blank shots, it would've come down to the wire.

They made open shots, we didn't.

What game did you watch? I didn't see many open shots

Hogfaniam

Quote from: jimmur74 on March 01, 2015, 02:44:08 am
What game did you watch? I didn't see many open shots

And it wasn't just the open shots we shot.  It was the open shots we didn't shoot.  Sometimes it's ok to shoot an 8-10 footer instead of trying to ram in a layup.  Especially against a bigger team.  Nothing wrong with a high arching bankshot
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 01, 2015, 03:40:59 am
And it wasn't just the open shots we shot.  It was the open shots we didn't shoot.  Sometimes it's ok to shoot an 8-10 footer instead of trying to ram in a layup.  Especially against a bigger team.  Nothing wrong with a high arching bankshot

It's always amazed me how two people can watch the same game and see things so differently.  I'm with Jimmur74 cause I didn't see many open shots.  Like Calipari said in his post game interview....when you can block shots you can pressure the outside shot and they did.  The only open shots I saw for a while were the ones that were 10 feet outside the arc and way out of the range of the guy shooting it.

When was the last time you saw a player shoot a bank shot?  That's just not a shot the players of today shoot even though I did actually see one of Sports Center the other night but that's the first "intentional" bank shot I've seen in a long time.  I think that art died when Wooden left the bench. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Doug

March 01, 2015, 07:19:49 am #15 Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:59:00 am by Doug
Quote from: HiggiePiggy
Quote from: 3kgthogAnd he still has a losing record against MA.
Actually no he doesn't.
Source: Official Media Guides for each of the five schools.

Mike Anderson:   UAB   2002-06; Mizzou   2006-11; Arkansas   2011-present
John Calipari:   Memphis   2000-09; Kentucky   2009-present

2002-03   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   Memphis (JC) 2-0
2003-04   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   Memphis (JC) 1-0
2004-05   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   UAB (MA) 1-0
2005-06   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   Series Tied 1-1

2008-09   Mizzou (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   Mizzou (MA) 1-0

Zero meetings between 2009-11 Mizzou vs Kentucky

2011–12   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Kentucky (JC) 1-0
2012–13   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Arkansas (MA) 1-0
2013–14   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Arkansas (MA) 2-0
2014–15   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Kentucky (JC) 1-0 * Season not yet complete.

Mike Anderson at UAB vs John Calipari at Memphis: 2-4
Mike Anderson at Mizzou vs John Calipari at Memphis: 1-0
Mike Anderson at Arkansas vs John Calipari at Kentucky: 3-2

OVERALL Mike Anderson vs John Calipari: 6-6
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hogchick

jry04

Quote from: Rawker on March 01, 2015, 12:43:07 am
Uh....yes he does.  UAB vs Memphis + Mizz vs Memphis + UK vs UA = more wins for Mike, and that's About 20 McD AAs (when you include the Memphis teams) vs 1.  Plus he beat him where it REALLY counted, in an Elite 8 game, which was also at least a couple McD AAs, including an NBA MVP, vs 0. Mike's game plan obviously matches up well against Cal in most cases, but you have to hit shots.  Plus, where it wasn't enough to beat Mike with 4-5 top players, Cal went and got 9 this time....apparently that's the ticket.
I love Mike, but you have your facts all wrong.

Mike made it to the Elite 8, but didn't win the Elite 8 game. He also played Memphis in the Sweet 16 when he was at Missouri, and Rose was not on that team. Rose was on the team before that.

latrops

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 01, 2015, 06:29:16 am
It's always amazed me how two people can watch the same game and see things so differently.  I'm with Jimmur74 cause I didn't see many open shots.  Like Calipari said in his post game interview....when you can block shots you can pressure the outside shot and they did.  The only open shots I saw for a while were the ones that were 10 feet outside the arc and way out of the range of the guy shooting it.

When was the last time you saw a player shoot a bank shot?  That's just not a shot the players of today shoot even though I did actually see one of Sports Center the other night but that's the first "intentional" bank shot I've seen in a long time.  I think that art died when Wooden left the bench.

I say let them get their blocks.  You can't quit taking shots inside out of fear.  Beard was getting inside early and had some OK looks, but adjusted his shot to such an extreme that it had no chance of actually going in.  Just go up and hope you make it or get the foul.  A block isn't the end of the world.  Blocks either go out of bounds which gets the offensive team another opportunity, or you have a 50/50 ball after the block. 

Of course, I'm not saying guys like Beard should be trying to score in the post over guys like Cauley Stein very often....I'm just saying if you are going to take the shot, go up strong and see what happens.  Bigs that challenge lots of shots tend to collect fouls at a high rate as well.

Boarcephus

Quote from: latrops on March 01, 2015, 08:21:00 am
I say let them get their blocks.  You can't quit taking shots inside out of fear.  Beard was getting inside early and had some OK looks, but adjusted his shot to such an extreme that it had no chance of actually going in.  Just go up and hope you make it or get the foul.  A block isn't the end of the world.  Blocks either go out of bounds which gets the offensive team another opportunity, or you have a 50/50 ball after the block. 

Of course, I'm not saying guys like Beard should be trying to score in the post over guys like Cauley Stein very often....I'm just saying if you are going to take the shot, go up strong and see what happens.  Bigs that challenge lots of shots tend to collect fouls at a high rate as well.

UK's bigs will get in your head when you go inside.  I saw the same thing when they played Miss. State.  After the first couple blocks you could see MSU's big men looking around every time they got the ball down low and you saw some of that on our end yesterday.   

One thing the game showed my yesterday is I want Michael Qualls on my team any day.  That sob accepted the challenge UK threw at us and embraced it.  That young man isn't afraid of anything.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Doug on March 01, 2015, 07:19:49 am
Zero meetings between 2006 through 2010-11 (2006-08 Mizzou vs Memphis, 2008-11 Mizzou vs  Memphis)

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Doug on March 01, 2015, 07:19:49 am
Actually no he doesn't.Source: Official Media Guides for each of the five schools.

Mike Anderson:   UAB   2002-06; Mizzou   2006-11; Arkansas   2011-present
John Calipari:   Memphis   2000-09; Kentucky   2009-present

2002-03   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   Memphis (JC) 2-0
2003-04   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   Memphis (JC) 1-0
2004-05   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   UAB (MA) 1-0
2005-06   UAB (MA) vs Memphis (JC)   Series Tied 1-1

Zero meetings between 2006 through 2010-11 (2006-08 Mizzou vs Memphis, 2008-11 Mizzou vs Kentucky)

2011–12   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Kentucky (JC) 1-0
2012–13   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Arkansas (MA) 1-0
2013–14   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Arkansas (MA) 2-0
2014–15   Arkansas (MA) vs Kentucky (JC)   Kentucky (JC) 1-0 * Season not yet complete.

Mike Anderson at UAB vs John Calipari at Memphis: 2-4
Mike Anderson at Arkansas vs John Calipari at Kentucky: 3-2

OVERALL Mike Anderson vs John Calipari: 5-6

Thanks, I had forgotten about Memphis playing UAB
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Doug

Quote from: Imminent Rueage<<linked Youtube Video>>
Thanks for the correction. Not sure why I didn't pick up on that (I bet I was looking for Kentucky, not Memphis). Fixed my original post.

Quote from: HSVhogfan2Thanks, I had forgotten about Memphis playing UAB
See my corrected post. Series is 6-6 between the two coaches.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 28, 2015, 11:00:16 pm
Isn't it 5-3 in favor of MA? Post a link if I'm wrong, just goin off memory.

No. 7-6 calipari.  It was 6-6 going into this game.

Doug

It was 6-5 (in favor of MA) going into last night's game. Please check my post... I've got all series records (by year) between Anderson and Calipari.
--Doug

Athog

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 28, 2015, 05:27:32 pm
And he still has a losing record against MA.

That is meaningless. They do have more people and they are good. That takes nothing away from Ark and what Mike is doing.

sigpooie

If you take the wins cheatipari has against mike then forfeit the ones for cheating, I think mike has him like 12 and o
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

RazorChuck

Cheatipari, that is good.
They do pay more players, so yeah, they have more.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RazorChuck on March 01, 2015, 10:33:10 am
Cheatipari, that is good.
They do pay more players, so yeah, they have more.

When that doesn't work, they just forge grades and take tests for them.  Whatever it takes...   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MountieDawg

Any suggestions on the experienced team that can match them athletically???
SEC!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 01, 2015, 10:54:35 am
Any suggestions on the experienced team that can match them athletically???

Nope.  I don't.  I'm hoping one is out there though.  I haven't watched enough CBB this season to comment on who might be able to get it done.  I haven't seen Gonzaga, Wich. State, or VA play.  I've seen Duke and NC, and while those teams couldn't match them athletically, if either of them got really hot from the perimeter, they could make a game of it. 

I want to believe that we could play with them on a neutral court, but our kids would have to play out of their minds and KY would have to have a few cylinders fail. 

Maybe I should divert my hopes to a few of them missing the bus, and a few more having a nasty stomach bug.   :D

I absolutely LOVED it that our kids were quick to say they want another crack at them.   :razorback:

870hogfan

Virginia could beat this Kentucky team.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Doug on March 01, 2015, 09:17:37 am
It was 6-5 (in favor of MA) going into last night's game. Please check my post... I've got all series records (by year) between Anderson and Calipari.

Mike Anderson

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/mike-anderson-1.html

John Calipari

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/john-calipari-1.html

2002-2003  john calipari went 2-0
2003-2004  John went 1-0
2004-2005 mike went 1-0
2005-2006 John went 2-1 winning 1 in the conference tournament

Mike Anderson at UAB was 2-5 against calipari

2008-2009 mike wins in the NCAA tournament while at Missouri

Mike went 1-0 against calipari while at Missouri  total 3-5

2011-2012 calipari went 1-0
2012-2013 mike went 1-0
2013-2014 mike went 2-0
2014-2015 calipari went 1-0

Mike went 3-2 at Arkansas.  Overall record 6-7. 

So at UAB he faced calipari 7 times. 2-5
Missouri he faced calipari 1 time 1-0
Arkansas he faced calipari 5 times 3-2

13 total games.  7-6 calipari. 

Danny J

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 01, 2015, 08:35:00 am
UK's bigs will get in your head when you go inside.  I saw the same thing when they played Miss. State.  After the first couple blocks you could see MSU's big men looking around every time they got the ball down low and you saw some of that on our end yesterday.   

One thing the game showed my yesterday is I want Michael Qualls on my team any day.  That sob accepted the challenge UK threw at us and embraced it.  That young man isn't afraid of anything.

Mississippi State was down to them by only 9 points at halftime.  We were down to them by 16 points at halftime.  With 13 minutes to go in the game MSU was down by only 10 points, we were down by around 20 points.

Calipari and the rest of the SEC better hope Rick Ray doesn't land 5 Star Malik Newman.  Ray has out-coached Bruce Pearl, Kevin Stallings, Donnie Tyndall, and Johnny Jones this season, and most likely Ray will be working on out-coaching Calipari, Donovan, and Mike Anderson next season.

Kevin Stallings is viewed by some nationally as being the 2nd best in-game bench Coach in the SEC (2nd to Donovan), and Ray has out-coached Stallings two times in-a-row.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 01, 2015, 01:26:50 pm
Mississippi State was down to them by only 9 points at halftime.  We were down to them by 16 points at halftime.  With 13 minutes to go in the game MSU was down by only 10 points, we were down by around 20 points.

Calipari and the rest of the SEC better hope Rick Ray doesn't land 5 Star Malik Newman.  Ray has out-coached Bruce Pearl, Kevin Stallings, Donnie Tyndall, and Johnny Jones this season, and most likely Ray will be working on out-coaching Calipari, Donovan, and Mike Anderson next season.

Kevin Stallings is viewed by some nationally as being the 2nd best in-game bench Coach in the SEC (2nd to Donovan), and Ray has out-coached Stallings two times in-a-row.

We need an emoticon of a belly laugh.  C'mon man, this has to be some sort of shtick right?  KY is good enough that they can toy with virtually any team in the country.  It almost got them in the Ole Miss game, but the rest of them were just them not putting in full effort, and/or prior to them getting better chemistry. 

Next thing you're going to do is tell us that MA should bring in Venables to help improve our full court press defense.   :)

870hogfan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 01, 2015, 12:07:57 pm
Mike Anderson

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/mike-anderson-1.html

John Calipari

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/john-calipari-1.html

2002-2003  john calipari went 2-0
2003-2004  John went 1-0
2004-2005 mike went 1-0
2005-2006 John went 2-1 winning 1 in the conference tournament

Mike Anderson at UAB was 2-5 against calipari

2008-2009 mike wins in the NCAA tournament while at Missouri

Mike went 1-0 against calipari while at Missouri  total 3-5

2011-2012 calipari went 1-0
2012-2013 mike went 1-0
2013-2014 mike went 2-0
2014-2015 calipari went 1-0

Mike went 3-2 at Arkansas.  Overall record 6-7. 

So at UAB he faced calipari 7 times. 2-5
Missouri he faced calipari 1 time 1-0
Arkansas he faced calipari 5 times 3-2

13 total games.  7-6 calipari.

We get it you do not like Mike Anderson...

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 870hogfan on March 01, 2015, 04:54:43 pm

We get it you do not like Mike Anderson...

What kind of bull crap is that.  Where have I ever said I don't like him?   Do you want facts or people just giving wrong information?   

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Wild Bill Hog

And KY is doing all this without Poythress!

MemphisBossHog

I guess I just took it a little different. I will give Calipari this, he is really good at press conferences.  He doesnt come off smug or arrogant to me.  He comes across as a coach who has better players than anybody. He knows it. The other team knows it, so he doesnt rub their noses in it.  To me, he was saying that maybe starting 5 vs starting 5, Ark could hold their own with his Wildcats but this year he has more depth and that is what won the game.

Now if he believes that is another story, but I have never found Cal to be overtly arrogant in a press conference or a post game interview.  He usually "poor-mouths" and talks about all his freshman.  Yes they are amazing freshman but I dont ever hear Cal talking about how great they are.  He seems to do his best to not rub it in how many "riches" he has with all his stud recruits.

Look, the final score was 84-67.  If Cal hadnt called off the dogs ( or Cats to use a better term) it could have easily been a 30+ point blow out and it would have been indicative of the game.  Regardless of how slick and slimy I think Cal is in his off the court dealings with recruits, I give him credit for allowing the Hogs to somewhat save face and lose by only 17.  Cal made his point. He wasnt going to be beaten by Ark this year and he could destroy us if he wanted to.  Once that was done, he called off "the Cats."

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 01, 2015, 01:26:50 pm

I would dare say that KY was a little more "up" for Ark than Miss State.  This was a Sat afternoon nationally televised game against a team that had beaten them 3 straight times. Because Miss State was down by only 9 at half, at least to me, means nothing. KY wanted the Ark game badly.  Very badly.  Even the KY media asking Mike questions after the game made reference to how KY had the game circled on their calendar.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on March 01, 2015, 07:19:41 pm
I guess I just took it a little different. I will give Calipari this, he is really good at press conferences.  He doesnt come off smug or arrogant to me.  He comes across as a coach who has better players than anybody. He knows it. The other team knows it, so he doesnt rub their noses in it.  To me, he was saying that maybe starting 5 vs starting 5, Ark could hold their own with his Wildcats but this year he has more depth and that is what won the game.

Now if he believes that is another story, but I have never found Cal to be overtly arrogant in a press conference or a post game interview.  He usually "poor-mouths" and talks about all his freshman.  Yes they are amazing freshman but I dont ever hear Cal talking about how great they are.  He seems to do his best to not rub it in how many "riches" he has with all his stud recruits.

Look, the final score was 84-67.  If Cal hadnt called off the dogs ( or Cats to use a better term) it could have easily been a 30+ point blow out and it would have been indicative of the game.  Regardless of how slick and slimy I think Cal is in his off the court dealings with recruits, I give him credit for allowing the Hogs to somewhat save face and lose by only 17.  Cal made his point. He wasnt going to be beaten by Ark this year and he could destroy us if he wanted to.  Once that was done, he called off "the Cats."

It's the "poor mouthing" that you referenced that comes across as smug to me.  I get that there's always room for improvement, but I just thought it was comical that he made it sound like the last three losses to Arkansas were because we had more depth than KY.  Think about that for a second...until this year, what depth did we have?  We had maybe 7 players that could match KY talent wise in ANY of those three seasons. 

At any rate, I disagree about the final score.  At one point, I think they could have left their best players in and possibly beat us by 50.  Just when it looked like we were going to settle down and compete a little better, we missed a layup, and they drilled 3's on the ensuing two possessions.  At that point...I thought it was going to get ugly, but Cal put some different guys in and we made a little comeback. 

Thing is...it's tough to beat any college team that shoots as well as KY did in that game, so I'm not sure how good of a barometer that was.  Ole Miss did the same thing to us at BWA when it seemed like they never missed.  It happens. 

jchill

Quote from: jchill on March 01, 2015, 01:51:39 am
Early in the game, their guards had trouble against our press. I think if we play them again in the SEC Tourney it will be a win for the Hogs. I really think we can exploit their guards ball-handling skills. We just got too far down too quickly, it will be a different story if we meet again.

I believe in my Hogs! Let's get this win tomorrow!!!

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  3h 3 hours ago
This isn't good. Former Cat Derek Anderson blasts John Calipari for poor coaching and running kids out of school: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/derek-anderson-blasts-john-calipari-on-louisville-radio/ ...

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  May 1

One clear thing after tonight: we now know what Kentucky will look like for next season. Ulis, Briscoe, Poythress, Lee, Labissiere. #BBN

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tyler Thompson ‏@MrsTylerKSR 10m10 minutes ago

John Calipari got pretty defensive about the platoon system on The Dan Patrick Show today. It got awkward. http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/john-calipari-gets-defensive-about-the-platoon-system-on-the-dan-patrick-show/ ...

KentuckySportsRadio

QuoteCalipari brought up the platoon system about halfway through the interview, and said that although it worked for the players in that seven of them will go pro this summer, it hurt the team.

"I tell you what they killed us with this year: platooning," Calipari said, presumably of other schools negative recruiting against Kentucky. "It didn't hurt a player. Obviously it hurt us, we did not win the national title. But it didn't hurt anything doing it. I'm never going to do that again. When am I going to have ten guys of that level?"

Patrick asked Calipari if he thought Kentucky would have won the title had they used a 7-man rotation instead of platooning, which launched Calipari into a lengthy defense of the platoon system. Oh boy.

"I don't know. We didn't go seven deep. We went ten deep and then we went nine deep," Cal said. "We almost won 40 games. And we were given a tough path in the NCAAs. Playing Notre Dame and Wisconsin, come on. Think about our path there."

From there, Calipari went on the defensive, telling Patrick that if you're worried about results, look at his players who are in the pros right now. ...