Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevin Stallings apologizes for profane postgame incident

Started by intelligence, February 26, 2015, 10:15:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

intelligence

February 26, 2015, 10:15:36 pm Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:33:47 am by intelligence
Cusses out Doug Wade Baldwin after Tennessee game, and says "I'll f***ing kill you!". Baldwin was taunting a Tennessee player by clapping in his face as time expired. Vandy beat Tennessee 73-65. Stallings drup Baldwin over to the Tennessee team and made him apologize.

Paul

I respect Stallings for that

Big Nasty 34

I don't agree with what he said and some of his words, but I'm glad he got on the kid. I love seeing a fiery coach  don't love the language though for sure.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I think Stallings is very good x and o coach.

Nipsey Mussle

February 26, 2015, 10:38:33 pm #4 Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:10:06 am by BBsTheMan
Quote from: intelligence on February 26, 2015, 10:15:36 pm
Cusses out Doug Baldwin after Tennessee game, and says "I'll f***ing kill you!". Baldwin was taunting a Tennessee player by clapping in his face as time expired. Vandy beat Tennessee 73-65. Stallings drup Baldwin over to the Tennessee team and made him apologize.
Unless the Seahawks WR has decided to give up football after the Super Bowl loss, I'm pretty sure that was Wade Baldwin. And what does "drup" mean?

PORKULATOR

He is a great coach when you consider how well he fits there.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

popcornhog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on February 26, 2015, 10:20:29 pm
I don't agree with what he said and some of his words, but I'm glad he got on the kid. I love seeing a fiery coach  don't love the language though for sure.

Agree. Kill is too strong -- but I agree with the idea.
WPS

High Octane Hog

I respect Kevin Stallings. Good man.

Uncommon

I take most issue with the Tennessee coaches "tattling" on Baldwin.  It was taunting but it wasn't excessive like Richard Sherman doing the choke sign or talking trash type.  Tennessee Tyndalls need to grow a little thicker skin and don't get all butt hurt if a player doesn't hug them and tell them it's going to be all right after they lose.  It's a rivalry game after all.

HOGSWEAT

I don't want to play Vanderbilt in the SEC Tourney. They're getting it together.

k.c.hawg

I like  Stallings, but total fail! Don't clap as that Tenner player walks by, it shines a bad light on our program. What do I have to do to get that through your head, tell you I'll f'ng kill you on national TV?
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

scorekeeper

He handled that totally wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right. Actually Stallings took the spotlight away from the team win to "I'll f****** kill you". Both should learn from the situation.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

jbcarol

Wade Baldwin IV @The_Fourth_Wade  ·   8 hours ago

Coach Stallings is the best coach in America. I felt no offense to anything. We are both fiery people and that's why I chose Vandy ⚓️👇
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: jbcarol on February 27, 2015, 06:40:24 am

Coach Stallings is the best coach in America. I felt no offense to anything. We are both fiery people and that's why I chose Vandy ⚓️

there you have it.

jbcarol

KNOXVILLE — Vanderbilt men's basketball coach Kevin Stallings apologized in a statement late Thursday after television cameras caught him lashing out profanely at point guard Wade Baldwin moments after the Commodores completed a 73-65 win at Tennessee. (video available at link)

QuoteWhile proceeding through the postgame handshake line, Stallings screamed "I'm going to (expletive) kill you" at Baldwin, who had clapped gleefully on the court as the final seconds ticked off the clock.

Stallings said a Tennessee assistant coach informed him that Baldwin had clapped in the face of Vols forward Armani "Ronnie" Moore.

"One of our players acted inappropriately and violated what we believe is good sportsmanship following the game," Stallings said in the statement. "In my haste to resolve the situation, I made a very inappropriate comment. While obviously it was not meant literally, it was still inappropriate. I apologized to the player immediately following the game. Displaying good sportsmanship is of the highest priority in our program win or lose. I am very remorseful of my actions (Thursday)."

"Coach Stallings is the best coach in America," Baldwin wrote on Twitter. "I felt no offense to anything. We are both fiery people and that's why I chose Vandy."

Baldwin made headlines Wednesday for his comments calling out Tennessee point guard Josh Richardson for statements Richardson made after the Vols' win in the teams' earlier meeting. Richardson had said Tennessee was the tougher team after the game in Nashville earlier this month.

"To call us punks and (say) they out-physicaled us — from an opposing player, you are not supposed to be treating people like that after a game," Baldwin said Wednesday. "You should show some sort of respect for your opponent, especially since you have to play them again. That comment that he made really offended me, offended coach Stallings and I think offended a lot of kids on my team."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  9 hours ago

This just in: Wade Baldwin had 13 pts, 6 reb, 6 asts in 34 mins in win tonight. Too soon? :) @The_Fourth_Wade

rzrbackrob

Coach Stallings is the best coach in America. I felt no offense to anything. We are both fiery people and that's why I chose Vandy ⚓️👇

This is the way a man diffuses a conflict with another man.
Now this issue is between the two of them where the issue belongs.
Good is the enemy of great

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  10 hours ago

Kevin Stallings on Vandy shooting 84 percent in 2H: 'We usually can't do that when we're running five-on-zero and there is no defense.'

Tyndall: 'I'm not discouraged with my team. I didn't like the way we defended.' Said team had good practices this week.

hogsanity

I wish coaches would go off on kids when they are 10 and 11 and nip this type of behavior then. I see youth league kids doing all sorts of taunting and it drives me crazy.

Now, I see no reason to use profanity, and obviously " kill you " was not meant in the literal sense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Illinihog

I like it.  Baldwin could be a turd for all we know. My guess the coach has had some issues with him, considering he said i've told you 100 times.

Wish MA would get in the face of some of our guys occasionally.

Illinihog

I'm old school, and as long as it's not all the time I like a coach giving a good old fashion ass chewing.

TrueBlue

Winning a game.

Act like you been there before.....

(Both player and coach)

SwinerBock

Quote from: Illinihog on February 27, 2015, 08:15:16 am
I like it.  Baldwin could be a turd for all we know. My guess the coach has had some issues with him, considering he said i've told you 100 times.

Wish MA would get in the face of some of our guys occasionally.

This.  We don't know the complete history.  That's not saying Stallings was in the right losing his cool like he did, but I can definitely identify with the sense of frustration if it was an ongoing problem.

Breems

Our players don't do things like that.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

grayhawg

Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2015, 08:47:17 am
Your right, and just because Mike does not punish or embarrass the players in public, does not mean he lets them get by with improper behavior.

hogfan98

Who do you want coaching your kid?  Stallings, who despite the method is trying to teach his players about respect, humility, and maturity.  Or the Tennessee coach that bee-lined it to tattle on Baldwin for hurting his player's feelings?  That guy probably tucks the players in at night and tells them the world is perfect.  I don't agree with how he handled it...but I'll go with Stallings.

gmarv

did ya,ll read the whole article. seems to me some tennessee players had already mouthed off about vanderbilts toughness.i,m far from saying what the kid did was right but if you had just been called a sissy.with that said seems like everybody got a little out of control. and the guy who hits first gets away with it.
by the way I can,t stand tenner so maybe I,m just bias.

hogboarder

Our players may not taunt but I've seen them do their fair share of celebrating after a three or a dunk. Standing over players, running down the court with tongue hanging out of their mouth, etc.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogboarder on February 27, 2015, 09:26:30 am
Our players may not taunt but I've seen them do their fair share of celebrating after a three or a dunk. Standing over players, running down the court with tongue hanging out of their mouth, etc.

Madden after hitting a 3 and Qualls after dunks can get a little mouthy.  As long as it's under control, it's just passion.  But when it hurts the team, it's being undisciplined.

It's a fine line, and since we're all Hog fans we give them a pass most of the time.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

intelligence

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 27, 2015, 09:18:19 am
Who do you want coaching your kid?  Stallings, who despite the method is trying to teach his players about respect, humility, and maturity.  Or the Tennessee coach that bee-lined it to tattle on Baldwin for hurting his player's feelings?  That guy probably tucks the players in at night and tells them the world is perfect.  I don't agree with how he handled it...but I'll go with Stallings.

I agree, i just found the incident interesting and good board material.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: hogboarder on February 27, 2015, 09:26:30 am

There's nothing wrong with that, IMO. Clapping in someone's face is different. I saw the video and still didn't think it was that outlandish, but is disrespectful.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on February 27, 2015, 01:01:56 am

Interestiing. I'm not fond of that kind of language after a game when the public is around. I've always though he was a really good coach. However after watching the video I also caught were he told the player "I've told you a hundred times" as someone else mentioned. Therefore I can only assume he's had that issue with him before. Also did anyone else wonder as another poster mentioned it was a Tenner assistant that told Stallings about it while walking through the handshake line. That was bush-league for the Tenner guy I believe. He needs to worry more about what HIS players say and do and not the opponents. Do I think Stallings could have handled it better absolutely but I am believing there is more to it than what you see on that video. I DO like the fact as a coach he doesn't like nor tolerates "trash talking". I'm more of a "act like you've been there before" believer.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

He was clapping because they just beat their biggest rival on the road.  Should he have apologized to Tenner? Stallings acted like a hot-head bully.  I've seen Qualls do worse 10 times, and appropriately Anderson has never lost it like that. Does he talk to him in private? I don't know, because it's being handled properly. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gmarv on February 27, 2015, 09:18:23 am
did ya,ll read the whole article. seems to me some tennessee players had already mouthed off about vanderbilts toughness.i,m far from saying what the kid did was right but if you had just been called a sissy.with that said seems like everybody got a little out of control. and the guy who hits first gets away with it.
by the way I can,t stand tenner so maybe I,m just bias.

Why should that make a difference. Don't worry about what your opponent says and does or acts. Think about what you say and do and act.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

If Kevin Stallings was wrong, I don't wanna be right (I don't wanna be right)

QuoteKevin Stallings temper got him in trouble Thursday night.

After Vanderbilt's nice 73-65 win at Tennessee, the Commodores coach saw his freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV clap in the face of Tennessee player Amari Moore.

A "very remorseful" Stallings apologized afterward in a statement and via Twitter, saying he handled the situation the wrong way.

While he could have handled the situation differently, Stallings was right to go after his own player for such conduct. In this day and time where it's all about winning and losing, it was good to see the Vandy coach stick up for sportsmanship.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Karma on February 27, 2015, 09:42:54 am
He was clapping because they just beat their biggest rival on the road.  Should he have apologized to Tenner? Stallings acted like a hot-head bully.  I've seen Qualls do worse 10 times, and appropriately Anderson has never lost it like that. Does he talk to him in private? I don't know, because it's being handled properly. 

I doubt it was only the clapping that caused it................

Jackrabbit Hog

FYI, Tennessee has released a statement disputing Stallings' version of how it started.  According to a Vols assistant, Baldwin was doing his thing during the handshakes and the assistant told his players to keep their cools and ignore him.  Supposedly Stallings overheard him say that, went over to him and asked what it was all about, so the assistant told him.  In other words, the Vols coaches didn't seek out Stallings; Stallings came to them.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BadHog

Give him an immediate raise ;)
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

code red

Quote from: mrp on February 27, 2015, 01:43:06 am
No way you'd ever see MA lose it like that. I agree with Stalings intent but not with his conduct. Bush league.
I agree.  Better way to handle that behind doors.  Plus...really didn't look like what the kid did was all that bad.  It certainly wasn't "in the face clapping" like the UT staff indicated.  That said.  We aren't at every practice...to see what the kid does...how he acts.  I thought it was over the top.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 27, 2015, 09:55:05 am
FYI, Tennessee has released a statement disputing Stallings' version of how it started.  According to a Vols assistant, Baldwin was doing his thing during the handshakes and the assistant told his players to keep their cools and ignore him.  Supposedly Stallings overheard him say that, went over to him and asked what it was all about, so the assistant told him.  In other words, the Vols coaches didn't seek out Stallings; Stallings came to them.
Thats kinda funny because from the ESPN video Stallings was in front and Wade was in the back??  I don't get it...but IMHO Tennessee needs to worry about Tennessee.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hawg Red

He was wrong. Bottom line. But there doesn't really need to be much of anything done about it. He's recognized his mistake and apologized. His heart was in the right place trying to address behavior unbecoming of what he things his players should display. He just executed wrong and in the wrong place.

I'm always afraid Qualls will pull something like this, but he always seems to walk right up to the line without really going over. Maybe he went over that one game where he wouldn't quit barking at the refs, but I think Mike's done a great job of reigning him in because he's clearly a kid that lacks a bit of self-control when it comes to his behavior. Another reason why he needs to come back next year and continue to develop under this staff. This staff has been good for him.

Illinihog

Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2015, 08:47:17 am

Madden Flexes or does something at least 5 times a game.  JWilliams does some taunting at times.

I'm all for letting the kids have fun, but there is more to this story with Baldwin than we know.

Jackrabbit Hog

Heard one of the ESPN analysts this morning talking about it, don't recall which one, but I thought his analysis was spot on.  The anchor asked him about any discipline that Stallings might be facing, like a fine or a game suspension.  The analyst said he didn't deserve either, but if the media continues to draw it out, replay the tirade endlessly and debate it to death, then Vandy might bow to pressure and discipline him.  But if they let it go, everyone will just move on as they should.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2015, 08:07:32 am
I wish coaches would go off on kids when they are 10 and 11 and nip this type of behavior then. I see youth league kids doing all sorts of taunting and it drives me crazy.

Now, I see no reason to use profanity, and obviously " kill you " was not meant in the literal sense.
In a game in my hometown this year, the visiting team hit a bunch of 3s by one kid and he continued to put the gun in the holster, etc. each time.  Finally on one of his last ones he put his hands upside down around his eyes like you would make hand glasses, I guess saying to look at him.  The refs caught it that time, and they lit him up with a T immediately and the whole gym clapped enthusiastically.  Now if it had been one of our kids, I'm sure it would've been the opposite way.  I don't mind a little flair, but if it is directed at anyone in particular or is vulgar, etc. it needs to be handled by the refs if possible.  I know this was after the game and that makes it even less understandable, because it wasn't in the heat of the competition.

Shorttimer

Those who have never euphemistically threatened to "kill" someone have never had a teenage son.

secfan30

Quote from: Shorttimer on February 27, 2015, 11:17:42 am
Those who have never euphemistically threatened to "kill" someone have never had a teenage son.

Hahahaha!!! Was talking to my dad about this article and I told him this was a weekly occurrence  with my basketball coach, well the last one I played for. My dad laughed and said that was a daily occurrence with his mother and he believed her.

Anyone with a mind knows he was not going to kill this kid. In our "politically correct society" knee jerk if you don't agree with me you need to lose your livelyhood reactions have taken the place of common sense.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 27, 2015, 11:12:37 am
The fact that Stallings had to come out with an 'Apology Statement' just speaks to the continuing Pussification of America™.

I agree. I think all 4 parties involved handled it wrong. The fact that the other coach told just speaks to the continuing Pussification of America. The fact that the other guy talked trash and couldn't back it up speaks to the continuing Pussification of America. My take on it is don't bark and stay on the porch.

In my opinion Stallings handled that very good opportunity to teach a lesson in the worst possible manner. First of all he could have told the coach that he took issue with his guy talking crap, then he could have handled Baldwin behind closed doors. Forcing Baldwin to apologize fixed what? Apologizing just to say that you did it means nothing. Baldwin is a freshman you got to like his intensity, Stallings could easily get his point across by just cutting his minutes in the next game or run some extra sprints.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Uncommon on February 26, 2015, 11:53:44 pm
I take most issue with the Tennessee coaches "tattling" on Baldwin.  It was taunting but it wasn't excessive like Richard Sherman doing the choke sign or talking trash type.  Tennessee Tyndalls need to grow a little thicker skin and don't get all butt hurt if a player doesn't hug them and tell them it's going to be all right after they lose.  It's a rivalry game after all.

Tyndall needs to worry more about what happens within his OWN program.....................Ask Southern Miss.............