Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC teams' home court win totals vs last season

Started by Atlhogfan1, February 16, 2015, 01:41:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

February 16, 2015, 01:41:55 am Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:42:04 am by Atlhogfan1
The multiple home losses on Saturday (Ole Miss, UGa, Tenn, Bama, Mizzou) made me curious along with the officiating/FTA discussions home vs road.  Only A&M (1pt win over Fl) and UK won at home on Saturday. 

In conference this season, SEC teams are 45-39 53.6%
Last season in conference:  88-38 69.8%

Only 5 SEC teams have a winning record at home in conference as of now;
UK, Hogs, A&M, OM and UGa

Five more at 3-3 and four have losing records at home in conference (MSU has only played 5 SEC home games so far, 2-3). 

Last season, 10 SEC teams were between 7-2 to 9-0 at home. 

Overall home court %:

73.8% so far this season.  This would be the lowest since 2010-11. 

Last season was 78.3%

2012-13   76.2%

2011-12  78.5%

2010-11  71.89%
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pignominious

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 16, 2015, 01:41:55 am
The multiple home losses on Saturday (Ole Miss, UGa, Tenn, Bama, Mizzou) made me curious along with the officiating/FTA discussions home vs road.  Only A&M (1pt win over Fl) and UK won at home on Saturday. 

Five more at 3-3 and four have losing records at home in conference (MSU has only played 5 SEC home games so far, 2-3). 

Overall home court %:

Last season was 78.3%

2012-13   76.2%

2011-12  78.5%

2010-11  71.89%

Interesting points.

Perhaps a sign that the conference is better? All of the teams with a winning home court record are in contention for an NCAA tournament bid (excepting LSU). Last year, there were only three SEC teams in the tourney. The league should get four if not five or six this year.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

If you have real ambitions of going somewhere in basketball, you do not get beat at home, especially in the SEC.  Until the conference shows who is good or bad, the home team gets nearly all the calls.  Watch Ky, very good team but if they have a bad game, the Refs will likely save them, home or away.  SEC needs that team undefeated.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: 12247 on February 16, 2015, 08:27:41 am
If you have real ambitions of going somewhere in basketball, you do not get beat at home, especially in the SEC.  Until the conference shows who is good or bad, the home team gets nearly all the calls.  Watch Ky, very good team but if they have a bad game, the Refs will likely save them, home or away.  SEC needs that team undefeated.

I would hope that the SEC would want to get more teams recognition. Any SEC team that owns a W over UK would automatically get big time notoriety.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 16, 2015, 01:41:55 am

Overall home court %:

Last season was 78.3%

2012-13   76.2%

2011-12  78.5%

2010-11  71.89%
I admire your tenacity and your sticktoitness!  Hogs are winning on the road and this is your way of not giving credit to Anderson. It's a trend. Clever.

incHOGnito

That's ridiculous. This isn't football. The SEC doesn't need UK to go undefeated, what they need is for UK to avoid losing to a bottom-feeder. Say UK dropped two of their last six, one to us and one to UGA. That would propel those two teams up a few spots in terms of NCAA tournament seed. UK would inevitably remain a one seed but you could have Arkansas with a 4 and possibly a 3 based on that win (assuming nothing disastrous happens) and UGA with a 6 or a 7 seed as opposed to an 8, 9 or 10. That is better for the conferences chances overall.

Further, there are no huge payouts by going to the NCAA tourney that are dependent on rankings like in football. Thus the economic incentive is not there to protect one team over another.

GuvHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 16, 2015, 08:55:05 am
I admire your tenacity and your sticktoitness!  Hogs are winning on the road and this is your way of not giving credit to Anderson. It's a trend. Clever.

It's interesting how you can steer a previous post into being derogatory about Mike Anderson when it isn't. All he did was show that the league is much tougher this year which makes the Hogs 20-5 (9-3) record (and Mike Anderson) look even better.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Swinesong1

Quote from: GuvHog on February 16, 2015, 09:52:19 am
It's interesting how you can steer a previous post into being derogatory about Mike Anderson when it isn't. All he did was show that the league is much tougher this year which makes the Hogs 20-5 (9-3) record (and Mike Anderson) look even better.
Right.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 16, 2015, 08:55:05 am

Racism is causing SEC teams to lose at home!

I didn't give an opinion in the OP.  You're overly paranoid.  This isn't an agenda forum.  It is a discussion board.  SEC teams are struggling to win at home more than the recent past.  Why not offer possible reasons instead of once again going into some weird defense?  Is officiating and FTA's more even this season for road teams than the past?  Are teams better this season and more capable of winning on the road(Hogs)?  Are there more bad teams in the conference pulling down the percentage(Mizzou 1-6 at home in the SEC)?

It is a shame the forum has headed this route in such a successful season.  But if this is what you want to make it then this will be the direction it heads. 

LSU and UGa have a bad loss at home to AU. 

Quote from: Pignominious on February 16, 2015, 06:19:32 am
Interesting points.

Perhaps a sign that the conference is better? All of the teams with a winning home court record are in contention for an NCAA tournament bid (excepting LSU). Last year, there were only three SEC teams in the tourney. The league should get four if not five or six this year.

Perhaps especially in the top half.  It had just been so seemingly difficult to win on the road in the SEC and so many have complaints about home officiating.  Maybe this is just an anomaly. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Swinesong1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 link=topic=588497.msg9562009#msg9562009 datare=1424108747
Racism is causing SEC teams to lose at home!

I didn't give an opinion in the OP.  You're overly paranoid.  This isn't an agenda forum.  It is a discussion board.  SEC teams are struggling to win at home more than the recent past.  Why not offer possible reasons instead of once again going into some weird defense?  Is officiating and FTA's more even this season for road teams than the past?  Are teams better this season and more capable of winning on the road(Hogs)?  Are there more bad teams in the conference pulling down the percentage(Mizzou 1-6 at home in the SEC)?

It is a shame the forum has headed this route in such a successful season.  But if this is what you want to make it then this will be the direction it heads. 

LSU and UGa have a bad loss at home to AU. 

Perhaps especially in the top half.  It had just been so seemingly difficult to win on the road in the SEC and so many have complaints about home officiating.  Maybe this is just an anomaly.
So you've suddenly developed a conscious and became concerned about the atmosphere on this board?  You are not "enjoying" this at all!  You take shots at the team n coach whenever possible and now that things are going well you're concerned about the board. And you can use the racism comment all you want.  I don't hide behind or later deny my stance.  Put it back in your sig line!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 16, 2015, 12:12:14 pm
So you've suddenly developed a conscious and became concerned about the atmosphere on this board?  You are not "enjoying" this at all!  You take shots at the team n coach whenever possible and now that things are going well you're concerned about the board. And you can use the racism comment all you want.  I don't hide behind or later deny my stance.  Put it back in your sig line!

Post history.  I've discussed the atmosphere of this board and MMQB.  I discuss the positive and the negative when it is warranted and I don't disappear.  I don't hide behind mine either. 

Atlhogfan1

Updated 2/20: SEC teams went 3-4 at home during the weeknight games.  Some of it was matchups.  48-43 now  52.7%.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?date=20150221&confId=23

Hogs only road team favored tomorrow as of now according to ESPN(Uga - Bama line not listed)

Atlhogfan1

February 20, 2015, 04:26:59 pm #12 Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:01:59 pm by Atlhogfan1
52-46 after 2/21 Saturday games. 

Atlhogfan1

February 26, 2015, 09:05:07 pm #13 Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:59:44 pm by Atlhogfan1
55-50 after the weekday games.  3-4 so far this week. 

Great Saturday for the home teams.  A&M will probably make it 7-0 and 62-50. 

jbcarol

Senior nights coming up this week and weekend.  Should be interesting.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ole Miss and Kentucky scored road wins on Tuesday.  Florida and Mizzou had scares but survived Senior Night.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Atlhogfan1

March 06, 2015, 09:41:43 am #16 Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:03:55 am by Atlhogfan1
Another 3-4 midweek for the home teams.  65-54 heading into the final weekend. 

2-5 on Saturday. 

Final record at home:  67-59.  21 games below last season. 

jbcarol

This is a significant improvement in road game performance.

jbcarol

BH @BrianH618  ·  6 hours ago
@RonHigg @gatorhoops @CecilHurt throw out Kentucky, other 13 teams combined to go 58-59 in league games at home. Bazaar.  @vaughtsviews

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jbcarol on March 08, 2015, 12:09:55 pm
BH @BrianH618  ·  6 hours ago
@RonHigg @gatorhoops @CecilHurt throw out Kentucky, other 13 teams combined to go 58-59 in league games at home. Bazaar.  @vaughtsviews

It was a such a huge difference from previous seasons.  Will be interesting if some look into possible statistical reasons why.  We've discussed officiating as a possible reason in the past as to why the home teams won so much. 

jjdlc

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 08, 2015, 12:23:42 pm
It was a such a huge difference from previous seasons.  Will be interesting if some look into possible statistical reasons why.  We've discussed officiating as a possible reason in the past as to why the home teams won so much.

The SEC may just be better this year.  You brought up the officiating though, and generally speaking IMHO the officiating has been better this year.  The outcome of CMA calling out the ref after the FL game makes me think the SEC may have quietly made a  push to clean things up some.  Yes, I know the SEC doesn't have their own refs, but they apparently do have some say in who can and can't ref what games.

Danny J

Quote from: jjdlc on March 08, 2015, 12:37:08 pm
The SEC may just be better this year.  You brought up the officiating though, and generally speaking IMHO the officiating has been better this year.  The outcome of CMA calling out the ref after the FL game makes me think the SEC may have quietly made a  push to clean things up some.  Yes, I know the SEC doesn't have their own refs, but they apparently do have some say in who can and can't ref what games.
I agree.....when the top half of the conference is allowed or the game is called more evenly regardless of where the game is being played then that gives the road teams a better chance. That along with the non-conf improvement in scheduling is the reason we are getting 5 maybe 6 teams in the NCAAt.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams  ·  5 hours ago
SEC teams 59-67 on road this year with 6 having as good or better road record. Last yr teams were 38-88 on road, none as good/better on road