Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Kelly, Ole Miss transfer QB

Started by ricepig, December 21, 2014, 08:16:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Buff

*Ring, ring*  Jimbo Fisher on line 1

jbcarol

Ole Miss QB signee Chad Kelly arrested after scuffle with police

Back home in his native Buffalo, Kelly was arrested early Sunday morning after fighting with bouncers at a local watering hole and later scuffling with police...

Quote"Kelly was forcibly removed from the vehicle, officers said," writes the Buffalo News. "Police said Kelly kicked and tried to swing at officers as they removed him from the vehicle. They said he resisted getting into a patrol vehicle and struggled with staff at central booking."

Kelly has been charged with third-degree assault, second-degree harassment, second-degree menacing, resisting arrest, fourth-degree criminal mischief, second-degree obstructing governmental administration and, along with a friend involved in the melee, third-degree criminal trespass. All charges are misdemeanors or violations, and Kelly has been released without bail.

"It remains to be seen who was the aggressor and thankfully it was a scuffle where no one was hurt," Kelly's attorney Thomas J. Eoannou said.

Kelly is the nephew of former Buffalo Bills great and Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Buff on December 21, 2014, 08:27:04 pm

*Ring, ring*  Jimbo Fisher on line 1

Lol.....yep.  I can just hear "Bimbo" Fisher on the phone ......

"Yeah, Kelly......come on down.  We have sort of an agreement with law enforcement here....it's kind of like an arrest free zone, or a sanctuary.  If you want, I can have Winston fill you in on what to expect".....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

hoggusamoungus

jbcarol

Will Bardwell @willbardwell  ·  11 hours ago

This is why I never try to predict next yr's QB in December. You never know when one will get arrested for threatening to use a machine gun.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  11 hours ago

Ole Miss releases a statement from Hugh Freeze that says, "We are gathering facts on the matter."

NaturalStateReb

Well, it's pretty clear that his leaving Clemson was no accident.  If he doesn't change quickly, I don't think he'll last long with Freeze. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 21, 2014, 08:33:08 pm
"I'm going to go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place"

::)

Machine Gun Kelly.

ricepig

The_Iceman

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 22, 2014, 08:41:20 am
Well, it's pretty clear that his leaving Clemson was no accident.  If he doesn't change quickly, I don't think he'll last long with Freeze. 

How quickly does he need to change, after spring practice, after his first interception, after an Egg Bowl loss??

The Hogfather

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2014, 10:56:41 am
How quickly does he need to change, after spring practice, after his first interception, after an Egg Bowl loss??

Sounds like he needs to change on the double.  I was suspicious of this sign from the beginning.  I'm afraid he's locker room poison.  You gotta think the coaches think he's second-chance worthy, but this doesn't indicate that.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  1 hour ago

Chad Kelly's lawyer says Kelly didn't start the fight, wants to put this behind him 'so he can play football.' http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/12/22/ole-miss-chad-kelly-lawyer-fight/20774037/ ...

The Hogfather

Right after he sprays the place...

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 22, 2014, 10:55:23 am

Auburn Lock.

Not sure if he would end up at Auburn, unless they have modernized.  The football gang that was doing the robberies a few years ago,(Dakota Moseley, etc.) were only using pistols.....

southeasthog

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 21, 2014, 08:33:08 pm
"I'm going to go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place"

::)
"I'm going to my car and get my other gun and shoot everybody's azz."

[attachment deleted by admin]

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on December 24, 2014, 12:32:03 am
Not sure if he would end up at Auburn, unless they have modernized.  The football gang that was doing the robberies a few years ago,(Dakota Moseley, etc.) were only using pistols.....

Well, awbern is in an "Upgrade" mode.......... 8)

Torqued pork

I'm starting to miss Johnny Football.

hoggusamoungus

ricepig

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 26, 2014, 12:10:31 pm
Freeze will make a decision after 1/5 court hearing. I think he keeps him.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/26/hugh-freeze-will-make-a-decision-after-chad-kellys-jan-5-court-date/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I'd say there is a 99% chance he keeps him. From my limited meetings/knowledge of him while in Jonesboro, he talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

Buff

Remember how we all thought Cam was a scumbag?  Johnny Football, Famous Jameis, and now this guy make Cam look like a choir boy.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  20 hours ago
Hugh Freeze says he told Chad Kelly 'I will deal with you when I get ready to deal with you' | http://ow.ly/GssFE

QuoteOle Miss football coach Hugh Freeze indicated Friday that the status of quarterback signee Chad Kelly remains unresolved following Kelly's arrest earlier this week.

Kelly, a transfer from East Mississippi Community College and a nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, was arrested early Sunday at a nightclub in Buffalo, N.Y., near his hometown of Niagara Falls. According to police, Kelly punched a bouncer and proclaimed upon being ejected from the premises, "I'm going to go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place."

According to the Buffalo News, Kelly faces charges including third-degree assault, second-degree harassment, second-degree menacing, resisting arrest, fourth-degree criminal mischief, third-degree criminal trespass and second-degree obstructing governmental administration. Asked Friday about Kelly's status with the Rebels, Freeze did not mince words.

"It's like I tell him every day when he's calling and texting me: I will deal with you when I get ready to deal with you," Freeze said, according to Scout.com. "That will be after I gather everything and see after the Jan. 5 court date and what happens with that. When you're dealing with a kid's future, I know everybody has their opinion and none of the opinions really matter except for what is best for the program first, the kid second.

"For me to do anything other than wait for all the facts and the total truth ... everything that is out there is not accurate. I want to deal exactly what is accurate. This is where he wants to be. He knows a mistake in being in the wrong place and I think is remorseful for that. But I got to deal with what is best for the team first, and then try to do what is best for the young man."

Kelly originally signed with Clemson, but was dismissed from the team last spring after a verbal altercation with coaches during the Tigers' spring game. He enrolled at East Mississippi, where he passed for 3,906 yards and 47 touchdowns with just eight interceptions in leading the Lions to their second straight NJCAA championship.

Kelly was set to enroll at Ole Miss in January, and was expected to compete for the Rebels' starting quarterback job...

jbcarol

C-L Sports Verified account@CLSports
Today in Sports: Hugh Freeze describes Chad Kelly as 'very remorseful' http://on.thec-l.com/1CX6WA6

QuoteFreeze told reporters that his quarterback commit is "very remorseful" after a weekend arrest on several charges stemming from an incident outside a Buffalo bar.

"This is where he wants to be," Freeze said. "He knows a mistake in being in the wrong place and I think is remorseful for that. But I got to deal with what is best for the team first, and then try to do what is best for the young man."

Kelly's first court date is on Jan. 5, and Freeze said he'll wait until at least then before choosing what to do with Kelly...

Rzbakfromwaybak

From reading Freeze's statement.....it sounds like he is planning on doing a "Bimbo Fisher" type of move.  Keep the well documented problem child, no matter what he has done...or will do.  "Whatever is best for the team, first".....Lol

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Buff on December 26, 2014, 02:09:19 pm
Remember how we all thought Cam was a scumbag?  Johnny Football, Famous Jameis, and now this guy make Cam look like a choir boy.

So you're sayingt that awbern goes after this guy......? 8)

ricepig

jbcarol

Hugh Freeze said Monday that he has not made a final decision on whether to bring Kelly, the juco-championship-winning quarterback, to campus, or if he did what punishment or stipulations Kelly may face. But what happened in Buffalo court Monday likely helped Kelly's case.

QuoteHe pleaded guilty to a single act of non-criminal disorderly conduct that will cause him to serve 50 hours of community service. Kelly has also sent a written letter of apology to the Buffalo police. Kelly was given a conditional discharge, the Buffalo News reported, which means he must complete the community service (by March 9), stay arrest-free for a year and undergo a drug and alcohol assessment as part of the plea bargaining agreement.

The community service hours may be completed at Ole Miss...

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  24 minutes ago

Hugh Freeze is expecting to talk with Chad Kelly, his family tonight. Will then make decision in next couple days.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  1 hour ago

Looks like Chad Kelly will enroll at Ole Miss after all. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2015/01/11/ole-miss-chad-kelly-oxford/21609875/ ...

QuoteOle Miss quarterback commit Chad Kelly left for Oxford today, though his future remains ever so slightly uncertain.

Kelly still has one unspecified requirement to fill for coach Hugh Freeze, but could complete it as soon as on Monday. Kelly was expected to leave New York for Oxford on Sunday, with the understanding that he has not been cleared as of yet.

RebelGrove.com reported Sunday night that Kelly is in Oxford.

If Kelly is eligible, he's expected to compete for Ole Miss' starting quarterback job for the 2015 season with returning redshirt sophomores Ryan Buchanan and DeVante Kincade. Kelly's future was thrown for a loop, however, after a December arrest following a bar fight.

DeltaBoy

No Surprise case Hugh Freeze is a student of HDN and he is in the People Helping Business.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Yep, this was predictable.  Freeze knew all along he was going to take Kelly.  All the talk about....."getting all the facts first", etc. was just a smokescreen.  Freeze needs a QB, & evidently doesn't care if he's a genuine troublemaker or not.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  14 minutes ago

From last night: Chad Kelly posts photo of himself working out inside Manning Center. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2015/01/13/ole-miss-manning-center-chad-kelly/21724485/ ...

jbcarol

From April 2014 Commentary: Chad Kelly cut himself from Clemson football team

QuoteCLEMSON — Hardly anyone expected Chad Kelly to stick around if he wasn't the starting quarterback next fall.

Now he's gone...

Kelly faces some decisions. Maybe, like Cam Newton between Florida and Auburn, he could spend a year at a junior college, or he could drop down a classification to play immediately.

That's all he wanted. Like any kid he just wanted to play, but Kelly wasn't like any kid. He arrived on a wave of hubris, the top prospect in New York his senior year in high school, the nephew of a Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback. "I'm coming to Clemson to play my freshman year," he said two years ago. "I ain't going just to sit on the bench."

Kelly had a rap song and an attitude. Even before he enrolled at Clemson, he threw down the gauntlet challenging Stoudt, then the backup, on Twitter. "Your (sic) on the bench for a reason. And i (sic) come soon! Just letting you know."

There were rumors of acrimony between them, and before the competition went public this spring, coach Dabo Swinney told them they had to bury the hatchet, that any inkling of a rift could rip apart the team. Publicly, they were teammates, partners for the greater good.

Some speculated Swinney was attempting to draw out the competition to keep Kelly engaged. There was talk Kelly was unhappy last season when he felt slighted after coming back to play fourth months removed from ACL surgery.

Swinney wanted Kelly to figure it out, hoped the tumblers would click into place so that Clemson might have the firebrand who could take Chad Morris' offense to another level.

Even after his meltdown Saturday, when he challenged Morris and wide receivers coach Jeff Scott during the spring game, Kelly remained part of the competition. Kelly threw a pair of interceptions, but those alone wouldn't cost him the job.

The incident last Thursday involving former Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers, a student at Clemson and an intern in the football offices, served as additional fodder for Swinney. Rogers explained on Twitter.

"With countless texts, tweets and inaccurate reports I would like to explain exactly what happened in regards to Chad Kelly, who was dismissed from the Clemson football team today.

"Last Thursday night he was riding with someone who backed into my car in my apartment complex. I said I was going to call the police to file a proper report, and Chad got out of the car asking me not to call. He became very agitated and was extremely disrespectful. As proud as I am to be part of the Clemson football program it was disheartening that he showed no remorse for his behavior."

And that's what likely pushed him off the cliff Monday when he met with Swinney, the absence of remorse. Rather than apologize for Saturday and offer to serve penance, Kelly reacted poorly, so Swinney dismissed him immediately.

"He's always had an edge," said one coach.

This time Kelly cut himself.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Kelly is trouble, & it will probably come up again the first time he doesn't get his way.
Freeze is probably going to regret this. 

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  19 minutes ago

Hugh Freeze with a REALLY candid answer to our questions about new #OleMiss QB Chad Kelly> @FoxSports WATCH now: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/video?vid=393726531599 ...

QuoteHugh Freeze on troubled QB Chad Kelly: Players deserve second, third chances

Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze isn't 100% confident QB Chad Kelly will stay out of trouble.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on February 04, 2015, 02:47:19 pm

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  19 minutes ago

Hugh Freeze with a REALLY candid answer to our questions about new #OleMiss QB Chad Kelly> @FoxSports WATCH now: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/video?vid=393726531599 ...

Sounds like Freeze certainly doesn't have a lot of confidence in Kelly.  It's really funny sometimes, to listen to this BS from coaches.  Freeze knows this guy is a ticking time bomb, & just hopes he doesn't explode again.... until after he leaves Oxford.  Has nothing to do with wanting to give Kelly a second/another chance.  Freeze needs a QB.

Hog N Bama

I hope we smear them again this year, in Oxfart!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  2 hours ago
SEC morning links http://es.pn/1GjNXEw

QuoteChad Kelly, formerly of Clemson and East Mississippi Community College, is apparently willing to go to Haiti and back to prove to Hugh Freeze that he should be Ole Miss' next quarterback. Freeze said Tuesday that he suggested to the troubled quarterback that he join him on a spring-break trip to Haiti -- where they will reportedly help provide villagers gain access to fresh water -- and Kelly agreed. He'll still have to beat DeVante Kincade and Ryan Buchanan for the job, but the trip will provide Kelly with an opportunity to get to know his new coach better. Making Freeze more comfortable with him as a person is a smart move for Kelly, who left Clemson under unpleasant terms and who was arrested after a bar fight in his hometown, Buffalo, New York, shortly after signing with the Rebels last year...

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  2 hours ago

Serderius Bryant went to Haiti and had a life-changing experience. Will Chad Kelly? http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/03/03/want-ole-miss-qb-chad-kelly-go-haiti-first/24330695/ ...

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  35 minutes ago

Some exciting news to announce: I've been promoted to columnist at the @clarionledger. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/03/04/kellenberger-columnist-blevins-ole-miss/24368929/ ...

.@Riley_Blevins is going to take over the Ole Miss beat, and he's going to do a fantastic job. Really excited with what's happening.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  6 hours ago
Chad Kelly's focus now back on football http://es.pn/188X5gp

QuoteOle Miss quarterback Chad Kelly has fulfilled his legal obligations following his arrest for fighting with bouncers outside a Buffalo nightclub...

Freeze took a chance on Kelly because he clearly believes in both his talents and a possible turnaround. Yes, it was a big risk, but the Rebels are hoping it turns into a big reward. That's all up to Kelly and how he handles returning to a college town that has plenty of distractions and plenty of trouble outlets, especially for a big-time quarterback. But, hey, plenty of quarterbacks have survived SEC college towns. In fact, they do it every day, so Kelly just has to sit back, enjoy his new home and immerse himself in football.

For now, we haven't heard much from Kelly, and that's a good thing for the Rebels...

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol....what a joke.  Bet there was only one real reason that Freeze wanted Kelly to accompany him on the trip to Haiti.  Freeze wanted to try & keep Kelly out of jail over spring break....

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  Mar 20
Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly had his "awareness heightened" after mission trip to Haiti: http://on-ajc.com/1biPYUP

Quote"It probably had more effect on me than it did Chad — I found out how spoiled I am," Freeze told the AJC on Thursday.

"I thought Chad handled himself beautifully there. I would hope that every kid that goes on that trip with us yearly would come back and say (how much they got out of it) and Chad is saying it right now.

"Now, I always want to clarify: I don't know if there are any perfect solutions in life with young kids. They make mistakes, some more than others and some have different consequences. I know that that can happen immediately.

"But right now, all indications are that it heightened his awareness of the blessings that he has here, the opportunity to get an education – and to not waste those things. I certainly think his awareness to that was heightened. So I think it had to be a good thing. Hopefully, it will have lasting effects on all the people that went."

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Mission trip to Haiti leaves lasting impact on Ole Miss football team http://es.pn/1Si3OaQ

Quote"It was somewhere basically to just lay your head down," Ole Miss linebacker Christian Russell said. "That's pretty much all you really had there."

Russell was one of 12 Ole Miss football players who took a mission trip to Haiti in March, prior to the start of spring practice. It was a culture shock for not just the players who went but also for head coach Hugh Freeze, who brought his wife and three daughters with him on the trip.

Among the new players who went was Chad Kelly, the highly touted junior college quarterback who arrived at Ole Miss in January with somewhat of a checkered past. When he signed with the Rebels, he and Freeze made an agreement that if the two were going to go down this road together, the mission trip would be beneficial to him.

Kelly didn't question it. He hopped on the plane and embraced it.

"He had a huge heart," Freeze said. "No one played harder with those kids in the afternoon sessions than him. For four hours in the sun, he never stopped. Very few of us could say that. I'm not one. I couldn't do it."

One trip won't change people's perceptions of Kelly. There are still some who are just waiting for the nephew of Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly to get in trouble again. But his presence on the trip changed some of his teammates' views.

"It's really easy to judge a book by its cover," said Youngblood, Kelly's roommate on the trip. "I've done that to people in the past. But I gave him a chance and I enjoyed being around him. I really saw how this trip got to him and impacted him.

"He was right there, doing everything that everyone else was doing. He wasn't complaining about anything else. Just like everybody else that went, he really embraced why we were there, what we were doing there and he thoroughly enjoyed it."

Chad Kelly and several of his Ole Miss teammates took a mission trip to Haiti before the start of spring practice. Courtesy of Ole Miss Athletics