Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M is a team to watch....

Started by Swinesong1, November 24, 2014, 06:38:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  8 minutes ago
FINAL: Ole Miss 69, Texas A&M 59. Stefan Moody scores a game-high 19 as Ole Miss wins its fourth in a row.

In Oxford
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Joe Lunardi @ESPNLunardi  ·  5 hours ago

I'll duck now...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/220

A&M actually moved up to a 10-seed despite the road loss to Ole Miss.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  2 hours ago
From today's Tribune: Aggies are a study in staying the course: Texas A&M having success in Kennedy's fourth season http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/aggies-are-a-study-in-staying-the-course/article_4f498932-31ce-5b5d-a97d-a703881dc6a1.html ...

QuoteAt this point in the season three years ago, the Missouri basketball team sat in the top five of the national polls with a 20-2 record and the most potent offense in college basketball.

It feels longer than that now with the Tigers (7-15, 1-8 SEC) mired in an eight-game losing streak — the program's longest since the 1973-74 season. They have failed to reach 50 points in the past two defeats.

The Texas A&M team set to tip off against Missouri at 5 p.m. Saturday at Mizzou Arena could provide some hope that patience can be rewarded, because it was only three years ago that Aggies fans had the same fears MU supporters have now.

They watched a program that had been to six straight NCAA Tournaments endure a free fall to a 14-18 record in Coach Billy Kennedy's first season. The Aggies finished ninth in the Big 12 Conference with a 4-14 league mark. They had to look hard for progress the past two seasons, with Texas A&M going 15-21 against Southeastern Conference competition.

The Aggies (15-6, 6-3) are finally enjoying a resurgence this season. They had won six straight before Wednesday's setback at Mississippi and remain in second place in the conference standings, on track to land an invitation to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in four years...

Kennedy landed Houston transfer Danuel House in June to pair with Southern Methodist transfer Jalen Jones. Both are averaging 13.8 points and have been even better during conference play, combining for 30.3 points per game.

"I didn't think it'd be this big," Caruso said when asked about their impact. "I knew they were going to come in and play for us, but they're leading us in multiple stat categories and with energy sometimes, so they've been more than expected."

Texas A&M, which averages 67.5 points, didn't learn that House would be eligible this season until after the third game.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  21 hours ago
Texas A&M, aiming to make NCAA tourney for first time since 2011, played 4 of its last 5 on road -- and won 4 out of 5 in that span.

jbcarol

Aggie Men's Hoops @AggieMensHoops  ·  2 hours ago

We've won 7 of our last 8 and we need the #12thMan to #RockREED tomorrow night at 6pm when we take on the Bulldogs!

QuoteFans will be entertained during the intermission by the world famous Russian Bar Trio as seen on America's Got Talent.

The same sports pass that allows Texas A&M students to pull tickets for Aggie football games will give A&M students free admission to basketball all season long. All Aggie students need to do is swipe their student ID at the student entrance to Reed Arena (north entrance).

Several fans will get the chance to show their skills on the court during the Wells Fargo Crawl for Cash and Chick-Fil-A's 3-Point Shootout competitions. Shooting skills could net fans prizes valued from $5 - $400.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  7 hours ago
Prize for upwardly-mobile Aggies following rugged road stretch: 3 straight at home, starting 6 tonight vs Georgia: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/02/prize-for-aggies-following-rugged-road-stretch-3-straight-sec-home-games/ ...

DLUXHOG

simply put..... no, they're not...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  2 hours ago
Attendance in Reed Arena for Ga. at A&M: 6,441. A&M drew twice as many in last home game (a win over Vanderbilt on a Saturday afternoon).

Georgia defeats Texas A&M 62-53 here in Reed Arena, both teams now 7-4 in SEC play. Aggies committed nearly twice as many TOs (13 to 7).

jbcarol

Brandon Zimmerman @BZSEC  ·  13 hours ago

Georgia and Florida are the only two teams Texas A&M hasn't beaten since joining the SEC. Aggies host the Gators on Saturday.

jbcarol

A&M's home-court advantage was invisible Wednesday against a very good, poised Georgia team that grabbed an impressive 62-53 victory.

The Bulldogs put a huge damper on the start of A&M's pivotal three-game homestand with solid play after solid play. If they needed a 3-pointer, they hit it. If they needed a rebound, they got it, even if it meant brushing aside an Aggie or two. And if an official's call or bounce of the basketball didn't go their way, they reacted but didn't overreact.

A&M is enjoying its best season by far since making six straight trips to the NCAA tournament from 2006-11. The success has come in part because of road victories at LSU and Tennessee while also protecting home court.

But Georgia exposed some of A&M's flaws, particularly when it comes to junior transfers Jalen Jones and Danuel House -- also big reasons the Aggies are battling for second place in the SEC. House took a nasty fall in the first half and had to miss 6 1/2 half minutes. Jones played only 24 minutes because of foul trouble and appeared frustrated, finishing with nine points and making little impact on the game. House played 31 minutes and had 14 points on 5-of-11 shooting.

But more telling than Jones and Houses' play was what happened when they sat. A&M's bench, which had averaged 20.5 points in the last four games while seemingly getting better and better, had but two points and missed all eight field goal attempts. Georgia plays much better defense than the teams A&M had been playing, and it showed.

The announced crowd of 6,441 included plenty of no-shows. Some 1,979 students showed up including the Corps of Cadets, which deserves props for being the only unit to arrive in force. It wasn't anything close to the atmosphere that spurred on A&M in the double-overtime loss to Kentucky, nor did it duplicate the effort of the 12,722 that helped A&M beat Vanderbilt, twice getting loud enough to help force key Vandy turnovers.

A&M had won seven of eight before Wednesday, and Georgia is set to make the NCAA tournament. The situation seemed prime for a big crowd, but if that's the kind of turnout A&M can expect, it's a good thing it wasn't coming off losing seven of eight, or they could've played the game comfortably inside the Lincoln Center.

It had to be discouraging for the players after experiencing the electricity in that building for Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Fickle basketball fans have been the norm around here for decades...

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  10 hours ago

A&M defeats LSU 68-62, the Aggies have at least nine league wins for 1st time in their 3 seasons in SEC -- w/ 5 regular season games to go.

Texas A&M bolsters NCAA tournament chances with comeback victory over LSU: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/House-s-clutch-free-throws-lead-Aggies-past-Tigers-6086553.php ...

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  Feb 18

A&M won points in paint battle again on Tuesday vs. LSU (36-22) - our feature on as much from Tues: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Roberson-shows-A-M-inside-track-to-success-6084319.php?t=01718a725fb087cae0&cmpid=twitter-premium ... @HoustonChron

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  17 hours ago
Saturday matinee: South Carolina up next for A&M with season winding down: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/02/saturday-matinee-south-carolina-up-next-for-am-with-season-winding-down/ ...

QuoteA&M's players and coaches wrapped up practice in Reed Arena on Friday afternoon, in time to go climb on a bus outside the loading dock that carried them to a plane that flew them to Columbia, S.C., for an 11 a.m. Saturday contest at South Carolina.

"I told the (players) that winning has a price," A&M coach Billy Kennedy said just before hitting the arena exit. "Everybody says they want to win, but few people really have a true desire to win. We talked about that (on Friday) morning.

"That if you really want to win, you'll be ready to play (early) tomorrow. That's my challenge, and I know they're ready for it."

None of Kennedy's three prior teams at A&M appeared as ready to do so – and this program has more to play for heading into late February. The Aggies, who then play at No. 18 Arkansas on Tuesday, are firmly on the bubble in an attempt to make their first NCAA tournament since 2011, when only senior Kourtney Roberson was on the roster.

jbcarol

David Cloninger @DCTheState  ·  23 minutes ago
MEN'S FINAL: Texas A&M 62, South Carolina 52. The Gamecocks fall to 13-13, 4-10 SEC.

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  18 minutes ago
Housed: Transfer that considered USC buries Gamecocks http://scne.ws/8gQxDG  #gg

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  3 hours ago

Chronicle columnist Randy Harvey on A&M playing key game at Arkansas tonight: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/harvey/article/Fans-slow-to-notice-A-M-s-picking-up-pace-in-6097369.php?t=83dde2f96ab087cae0&cmpid=twitter-premium ... via @HoustonChron

QuoteA&M's basketball team canceled practice Monday, flying out early to get ahead of the freezing rain forecast for College Station. On Tuesday night in Fayetteville, Ark., going from one extreme to another, the Aggies will face 40 minutes of hell...

During a stretch of six consecutive seasons of NCAA Tournament appearances between 2006-11, the Aggies had several crowds of more than 13,000 - once as large as 13,717 for a game against Texas - in an arena with a capacity of 12,989. There wasn't a fire marshal brave enough to tell the "Reed Rowdies" they had to leave.

The rowdies are still raucous, but the arena is often so empty you can hear them echo.

Average attendance for seven Southeastern Conference home games in College Station this season has been 7,368. Most of the crowds would have fit into G. Rollie.

The Aggies drew 10,411 for the first conference home game, hardly a surprise because the opponent was No. 1 and still unbeaten Kentucky. The next home game against Mississippi State drew 4,804. One factor for that game was that students hadn't returned to campus from the semester break.

But even when the students came back, they weren't back for the basketball team.

The Aggies have drawn more than 10,000 for only one other conference home game. Even the LSU game last Tuesday night drew only 6,701.

Hyman actually was encouraged by that crowd because the noise filled the arena even if fans didn't...

jbcarol

Kate Hairopoulos @khairopoulos  ·  34 minutes ago
Arkansas' defense intimidates me, and I'm on my couch in Dallas. Hogs up 27-9 early on A&M.

Hogsfan1981

I don't like them but they can make some noise....teams don't just come back like that. Very impressed by them.

To bad that first half will be forgotten.

ADavisTheGOAT

They deserve to get into the tourney the way they played tonight. Luckily we beat a team who wanted it badly  :razorback:
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on February 24, 2015, 10:11:43 pm
I don't like them but they can make some noise....teams don't just come back like that. Very impressed by them.

To bad that first half will be forgotten.

They showed grit. No moral victories, but they can leave NWA proud.

That Danuele House kid is for real.
WPS

BrooklynRoss

They've got a seriously good team. House has NBA written all over him.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Hogsfan1981

Hogs just could not keep the same energy going.

BUT they did not fold like they would have in the past and A&M is a good team and could have won this game.

You have to respect a team that does not quit and Arkansas will see that in the tourney.

This is good for the Hogs...gives them something to look at in practice.

LAHogfan123

I've got to give them credit, they wanted this win badly and made a fight of it like any good team is supposed to.  House is the real deal, still don't see how the NCAA gave him a waiver to play this quickly, oh wait,,,,,,

RazorChuck

They were lucky to have gotten back in the game.
A&M threw up so much slop that should never have gone in.

HSVhogfan2

"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

alohawg

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 24, 2015, 10:16:00 pm
They've got a seriously good team. House has NBA written all over him.

I told my wife after he hit that last three that he was a serious NBA talent, very smooth and talented.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hogpc

They earned my respect tonight!

Corkscrew Johnson

Our defense and rebounding got lazy in the 2nd half.  Kinda looked like us earlier in the season.  Hard to maintain the energy and focus after a monster first half like that.  It's actually a skill that is learned.  Whatever, a win is a win. 

Danny J

Yeah...I have said it for 3 weeks now. They are a legit sweet 16 caliber team. They finally have all their players healthy and eligible since Jones is back and they are really playing well. We played as good a first half as is possible for this team to play and they cut that to 2 in the second half.

Rawker

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on February 24, 2015, 10:16:08 pm
Hogs just could not keep the same energy going.

BUT they did not fold like they would have in the past and A&M is a good team and could have won this game.

You have to respect a team that does not quit and Arkansas will see that in the tourney.

This is good for the Hogs...gives them something to look at in practice.

Indeed.  And for all the people that love to freak out about the bad half....I would contend that they played a ridiculously awesome half in response to a great night and a great turnout, and gave enough for the W.  Caruso is fantastic, House is great, Roberson is big, and Robinson is scrappy as Hell, and they got fired up....that's college basketball.  I'll take that W by one.

Hoggish1

I felt this would happen because they were not going away.  But we didn't fold!

ishankem

Rebounding is only reason this was even close.
If hogs had rebounded at all, it would have been a hog blow-out

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: alohawg on February 24, 2015, 10:18:28 pm
I told my wife after he hit that last three that he was a serious NBA talent, very smooth and talented.

6'7" two guard with a sweet 3-point stroke and a slash game? Yeah, I want him working for the Knicks.

Breems

Two teams essentially swapped their best efforts and focus levels at half-time.

Hoping A&M loses another game (@Florida hopefully) so that the #2 seed is safe with us. Otherwise, I look forward to watching them in the Big Dance with us.

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Kevin

Rebound,!what is this you speak of?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Letsroll1200

We gave up too many second chance points. Credit to A&M for hitting the boards. Mike was 0-7 and we still won the game.

micali

Quote from: Danny J on February 24, 2015, 10:20:15 pm
Yeah...I have said it for 3 weeks now. They are a legit sweet 16 caliber team. They finally have all their players healthy and eligible since Jones is back and they are really playing well. We played as good a first half as is possible for this team to play and they cut that to 2 in the second half.
A$M a sweet 16? What? You serious Clark?

Hogsfan1981

A&M had a lot to gain. We needed that first half to get up on them. I thought the game would be a close one so the first just gave us bonus breathing room.

alohawg

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 24, 2015, 10:22:39 pm
6'7" two guard with a sweet 3-point stroke and a slash game? Yeah, I want him working for the Knicks.

He looks like a Laker to me, but what do I know.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Atlhogfan1

Once they slowed the game in the second half to where they could spread us out in the halfcourt, they were good.  In their first few possessions of the game, they had a couple of backdoor cut opportunities but the Hogs were playing with energy to cause turnovers. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

heatmiser

Quote from: ishankem on February 24, 2015, 10:22:00 pm
Rebounding is only reason this was even close.
If hogs had rebounded at all, it would have been a hog blow-out
If A&M hadn't scored, we would have blown them out. #obvious
Arkansas Razorbacks

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: alohawg on February 24, 2015, 10:25:04 pm
He looks like a Laker to me, but what do I know.

Hahahaha, plus one you nasty Laker fan.

Danny J

Quote from: micali on February 24, 2015, 10:24:28 pm
A$M a sweet 16? What? You serious Clark?
Dead serious. They are a very good team. How many teams in the country can overcome what they did to cut the lead late to 1 point? There probably isn't 15 teams in the country who could have done that.

RyanLR

The Hogs kinda cruised through that second half, no biggie as long as you get the win. A&M impressed me with their fight until the end.

TeufelHog

Yep, no quit in those Aggies tonight.  You must give them credit.  Says a lot about their coach/staff as well.

Atlhogfan1

Any team with a player like House is dangerous in the postseason.  They just have to get to the NCAAT first. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ishankem

Quote from: heatmiser on February 24, 2015, 10:26:33 pm
If A&M hadn't scored, we would have blown them out. #obvious

If hogs had hit defensive glass, atm wouldn't have scored a ton of put backs either, #obvious

TheArkansasTraveller

$crew giving credit to Aggies for the comeback.  Give credit for the Hogs taking a 1 pt. game and closing it out!   :razorback:

johnfanman

A and M always had respect. We just lost some with the second half that we earned with the first half. Dominating A and M would of scared Kentucky and made conversation for that game at a fever pitch. Oh well. Just prove ourselves at Rupp.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: johnfanman on February 24, 2015, 10:44:16 pm
A and M always had respect. We just lost some with the second half that we earned with the first half. Dominating A and M would of scared Kentucky and made conversation for that game at a fever pitch. Oh well. Just prove ourselves at Rupp.

I hope Kentucky looks over us a little. We still beat a very good team.