Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014-15 SEC Basketball Projections

Started by MikePiazza, March 24, 2014, 10:40:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: -Blu on April 11, 2014, 11:17:43 pm
Since it's not much to talk about right now thought we'd get some predictions going on for the SEC next year considering at this point we pretty know all the key players returning/leaving for all the SEC teams, with the exception of Kentucky.

This prediction is based on just Julius Randle, James Young, and Willy Cauley-Stein leaving for the Cats, and everyone else staying.

1. Kentucky
2. Arkansas
3. Florida
4. LSU
5. Georgia
6. Texas A&M
7. Tennessee
8. South Carolina
9. Mizzou
10. Alabama
11. Auburn
12. Vandy
13. Ole Miss
14. Miss State

I have the SEC with 4 teams getting in the tourney next year, and 2 Bubble Teams.  I think although we finish ahead of Florida in the SEC, they'll more than likely have a stronger SOS and just get more media attention, so they'll get a better seeding in the tournament.  And I think we'll have a strong year, but since we're Arkansas we'll probably get a lower seed than we deserved.

2 Seed - KY
6 Seed - FL
8 Seed - AR
11 Seed - LSU
Bubble - Georgia and TAM

Good post, but I'm going to go ahead and say that I think arkansas will finish first in the conference.  By sec time, the lineup of beard, bell, madden, Kingsley, and Portis will be too ballin, plus having qualls Harris, miles.  I think Thompson is going to work out too.  He's so good at getting his shot up quick and can play great d when he tries.

Big Nasty 34

The great thing about the off season is hogville is pretty positive. Ready for next year already!

-Blu

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 12, 2014, 12:10:30 am
Good post, but I'm going to go ahead and say that I think arkansas will finish first in the conference.  By sec time, the lineup of beard, bell, madden, Kingsley, and Portis will be too ballin, plus having qualls Harris, miles.  I think Thompson is going to work out too.  He's so good at getting his shot up quick and can play great d when he tries.

For the first time in a VERY long time, I actually think it's possible for us to finish first as well, I'm looking at the SEC next year and thinking best case for us is first and worst case may be 4th or 5th.  We're bringing back a lot of our core and key players, we're going to be a pretty good team next year.  With that said I think if KY brings back the Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, Alex Pothyress, and Marcus Lee, they are going to have a VERY strong core group, to go along with another good recruiting class.  I think they would have enough to win the SEC pretty handily with those players.

yraciv

April 12, 2014, 12:56:40 am #103 Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:06:34 pm by yraciv
Will edit based on if anyone else leaves I don't expect, I expect the Harrison's are gone, and I don't like the UK freshman as much as the past. FL just reloads, Alex Murphy will come in and be a clone of his brother, and Chris Walker will be dominant next year. UK still will have the most talent. 
1. Florida
2. Kentucky
3. Arkansas - Deepest team in the league. Team finally matches style of play.
4. LSU - Just have been recruiting lights out and return a great tandem in Mickey and Martin.
5. Georgia - Fox is a good coach, and they return most. NCAA Bubble
6. Texas A&M - Don't lose much
7. Mizzou - they've got some talent, but I think this is Haith's ceiling
8. Alabama - Only loss is Trevor Releford, should be alright
9. South Carolina - Martin will continue to  get them better
10. Tennessee - I have no faith in Cuonzo Martin, Robert Hubbs, & anyone they return...prove me wrong
11. Vandy - Keep them here out of respect for Stallings. Lose 2 of their best players, no one in pipeline, and they collapsed last year.
12. Ole Miss - Their recruiting has gone down hill. The slide continues.
13. Miss State - I don't think Rich Ray is a very good coach, nor their talent is any good.
14. Auburn - Bruce Pearl isn't a miracle worker, very little talent on this team.

MountieDawg

That's the best thing about the off season.... Optimism is easy
SEC!

Smithian

1. Florida
2. Kentucky
3. Arkansas
4. LSU
5. Georgia
6. Texas A&M
7. Tennessee
8. Alabama
9. Mizzou
10. South Carolina
11. Auburn
12. Vandy
13. Ole Miss
14. Miss State

After Georgia it is pretty open. I can see a lot of different scenarios happening. Very much expect Florida and Kentucky to have a race to the finish with the Hogs sticking around for most of the conference schedule.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: -Blu on April 12, 2014, 12:48:20 am
For the first time in a VERY long time, I actually think it's possible for us to finish first as well, I'm looking at the SEC next year and thinking best case for us is first and worst case may be 4th or 5th.  We're bringing back a lot of our core and key players, we're going to be a pretty good team next year.  With that said I think if KY brings back the Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, Alex Pothyress, and Marcus Lee, they are going to have a VERY strong core group, to go along with another good recruiting class.  I think they would have enough to win the SEC pretty handily with those players.

Yea if they come back they could be a very strong team.  I think we could still sweep them, the thing really holding us back from first is us winning on the road no matter how good we are.  I really do think we'll finish ahead of Florida, though, that's probably the next phase of cma's fans.  We have more impact players than Florida does straight up.  Them losing young and wilbekin is like a person replacing their heart through open heart heart surgery.

GuvHog

1. Florida
2. Kentucky
3. Arkansas
4. LSU
5. Georgia
6. South Carolina*
7. Texas A&M
8. Tennessee
9. Alabama
10. Mizzou
11. Auburn
12. Vandy
13. Ole Miss
14. Miss State

A serious battle for the top 3 spots but the Hogs should finish no worse than 3rd.

*This is Frank Martins 3rd year at South Carolina so they should be much more competitive and at least get an NIT bid.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on April 12, 2014, 12:48:20 am

I share your optimism..... but CMA has got to learn to win on the road. He also has to play the right player combinations.

I talk to people about Corliss Williamson and the National championship we won. They say who, what? It is plain that these accomplishments were past tense. It is plain that we had a BB program at the top and the UA administration were negligent in their BB coaching hires. They just weren't competent in their hires and let a wonderful program go to ruin. If CMA does not turn this thing around THIS year, we once again have made the wrong hire. I hope CMA gets the job done. I hope this happens for his sake and ours. Coaches leaving from our program tend to disappear. Seems like Mike would have gotten a better staff. I respect loyalty, but the program has to come first. Here's hoping we have turned the corner.

rzrbackramsfan

I agree on the sc pick terry.  Idk who they're losing though. 

I think if cma has or more year like this last year or even a little worse but gets a goo recruiting class he'll he back... I hope so, I think he's out best chance back at relevance.  I don't have much hope for long hiring a mid major to take us to the top lol.

gmarv

we win all our home games improve on the road get at least 4 on the road
and maybe as many as 6.we will finish somewhere between first and third.
the rest of the league i don,t care where they finish. go hogs

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: gmarv on April 12, 2014, 11:55:56 am
we win all our home games improve on the road get at least 4 on the road
and maybe as many as 6.we will finish somewhere between first and third.
the rest of the league i don,t care where they finish. go hogs

Agreed!

rzrbackramsfan

I bet we sweep mizzou and beat Florida here or there or both.  Bet we don't win at Kentucky again though.

blu

We go 11-2 again in non-conf - but 13-5 and 2-1 in SEC -T - end up 26-8 going into NCAA as a 6 seed and make the Sweet 16 - AT LEAST! Maybe better.

Maybe it ain't realistic, but I am a homer and it's really great to be exicted about Razorback BBall again.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: blu on April 12, 2014, 01:24:37 pm
We go 11-2 again in non-conf - but 13-5 and 2-1 in SEC -T - end up 26-8 going into NCAA as a 6 seed and make the Sweet 16 - AT LEAST! Maybe better.

Maybe it ain't realistic, but I am a homer and it's really great to be exicted about Razorback BBall again.

Hey you kind of ripped off -blu's name haha.

jbcarol

Living and dying by the one-and-done.

Kentucky has eight freshman and two sophomores. 0-10 of these may return for the '14-15 season as some consider professional basketball and others consider collegiate playing time.  Those that return will join four McDonald's All-American freshman-to-be who are signed, sealed, and potentially lost only to injury, academics, or criminal activity between now and the end of August.

Randle, Cauley-Stein, and James Young are the ones projected to be NBA first round draft choices.  Harrison twins have had their eye on the next level since they signed with Kentucky back in October, 2012 and chose to show up for preseason workouts the day before class started in August, 2013.  Large seven-footers are in demand and Dakari Johnson's people will make him aware of that.  Poythress may choose to strike while the iron is hot and declare for the draft.

Calipari cannot lock in on last minute recruits either in-state, off the "waiver wire" (recent grads looking to play one more year somewhere else), or other until he knows who and how many are leaving. His '14-15 virtual roster currently numbers 4-14 scholarship players.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS  7h
Here's my column on what the Harrison twins' decision will mean for Kentucky's roster, one way or another: http://cbsprt.co/1jzbHXV

QuoteAndrew and Aaron Harrison.

Sources have told CBSSports.com that both are leaning toward entering the NBA Draft but that it's nowhere close to a done deal, and I really do think their decisions are the most important to Kentucky's future because, assuming Johnson, Poythress and Marcus Lee return, the Wildcats will again be loaded in the frontcourt thanks to that trio and the enrollment of five-star bigs Trey Lyles and Karl Towns.

But what about the backcourt?

What if the Harrison twins declare?

Then Kentucky could have a roster-problem, although, it should be noted, that the Wildcats' roster-problems are rarely as big as a normal program's roster-problem. It's all relative, I admit. But Kentucky could have a backcourt-roster problem relative to a typical John-Calipari-coached team if the Harrisons both leave because the Wildcats' roster would then currently project as a roster without a single guard who was a five-star prospect coming out of high school...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/poythress-and-the-twins-are-taking-in-keeneland

Alex Poythress and the Harrison twins were rubbing elbows with some of Lexington's finest people out at Keeneland today.

Matt May ‏@MattMayKY  3h
Official Keeneland attendance for Toyota Blue Grass day is 39,722, the second-largest single-day crowd in the track's history.

jbcarol

Does who comes back matter?  Here is a picture of UK PG heir apparent Tyler Ulis being checked by Harrison who may or may not come back on the AAU circuit.

@tulis3

H/T: http://kentuckysportsradio.com

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  6m
Kentucky fans are gonna LOVE Trey Lyles next season. Such a high IQ, can impact game in so many ways.

Played in the Nike Hoop Summit this evening paired with future UK teammate Karl Towns.

root_hawg

Ark finishes 4th; 10 seed in tourney

blu

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 12, 2014, 01:41:15 pm

Hey, I've been a member here since 2004 - it was the other way around, but no biggie.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: blu on April 12, 2014, 01:24:37 pm

Love your optimism. Love my Hogs.  But 2-1 in the SEC-T would be a serious break in the observable trend. We've lost, what, eight straight there?

GatorsGators

1. Florida
2. Kentucky (assuming the Harrisons return)
3. Arkansas - Return the majority of one of the better teams in the conference. Should be a tourney team.
4. LSU - Martin and Mickey will be a great frontcourt combo, and having bigger guards next season should help them improve defensively.
5. Georgia - Should be solid again, but I'm not sure how much upside they have.
6. Alabama - Lose Releford, but bring in two transfers and three freshman who all address their most pressing need: shooting.
7. Ole Miss - Not sure why everyone has them so low. All they're losing is Henderson. They'll still have some talent with Summers, Perez, Saiz, and JUCO/FAU transfer Stefan Moody.
8. Texas A&M - Return the majority of last year's team and add some nice pieces, like Alex Robinson and Tony Trocha.
9. Vanderbilt - If Kedren Johnson returns back, this is too low. They have some talent in Damien Jones, Dai-Jon Parker, and several skilled freshman guards who should give them depth that they didn't have last year. I think they'll improve.
10. South Carolina - They were playing better towards the end of last season. They'll probably take a step forward, albeit a very small one.
11. Tennessee - I like Richardson and Hubbs, but their frontcourt is going to be a disaster.
12. Missouri - Who is going to score for them? Duece Bello? Lol. The Notre Dame transfer? Maybe. Their frontcourt is going to be a disaster as well. JW3 is a nice piece, but he's all they have down low. Keanau Post? Nope. Rosburg? He'd be better off in the MVC.
13. Auburn - It's going to take Pearl several years. Barbee didn't leave him very much talent.
14. Mississippi State - Just no talent here. Rick Ray was a terrible hire.

jbcarol

Retweeted by JORDAN MICKEY
DeionSanders ‏@DeionSanders ·Apr 7
You can't steal second base with your hand on 1st. Step out of your comfort zone and go to another level. Have Faith You can do this!
TRUTH.

Emphasis mine

Danny J

I think we finish, assuming no injuries and everybody returns, no further down than 4th but could finish 1st(no joke) or 2nd......

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: jbcarol on April 13, 2014, 03:10:09 pm
Retweeted by JORDAN MICKEY
DeionSanders ‏@DeionSanders ·Apr 7
You can't steal second base with your hand on 1st. Step out of your comfort zone and go to another level. Have Faith You can do this!
TRUTH.

Emphasis mine
That's interesting

jbcarol

Matt Jones with UK Draft projections

1. This look is based on my conversations with people close to the program, a couple of folks I know around the NBA and in two cases, people close to the players. I have gotten conflicting information in a couple of cases and have gone with the ones I think are most trustworthy.

2. It is subject to change because...well they are kids subject to change their mind.

QuoteJULIUS RANDLE
Gone and likely to announce very soon. Randle is situated to be a top 5 pick...

JAMES YOUNG
All year I was under the impression that Young was certainly headed to the Draft, no questions asked. I still think he is headed to the Draft, but I am told by a couple of folks that he has strongly considered the possibility of a second year. For Young however, the dream has always been about the NBA and he will likely go in the lottery thanks to his amazing athleticism (one of my NBA people told me that his dunk in the UCONN game was maybe the most important moment of the Final Four in terms of how it was perceived by NBA team scouts)...

ALEX POYTHRESS
Almost certain to return. Alex looked at where he would go in the Draft and gathered the information and from what I am told, he is almost certain to return...

WILLIE CAULEY-STEIN
The shock of this entire process to me has been Willie. All season long, I heard from everyone around the team and Willie that he would enter the Draft after the season. But now I am hearing that he is not only considering returning, I have people saying that he likely will return. That is amazing to me. But the two people telling me are people I trust and so for now, I am operating under the assumption that he is in the "Lean Return" status. Apparently Willie was torn up about his injury and not being able to finish the job with the team and legitimately loves the life he has as a college student in Lexington. He also understands that because of his injury, he can't work out during the draft process and that will have an impact on his NBA Draft status. As one person close to the process told me, "not working out caused the certain #1 pick (Nerlens) to drop to #6, the result for Willie could be much worse.")...

DAKARI JOHNSON
Dakari is the opposite of Willie in terms of the fact that I believed he was certain to return all year and now I am not sure. Johnson is taking the process very seriously and is being told that he would be a late first round draft choice. Now it is just up to Dakari to decide if he wants to settle for that placement or come back and have a chance to play himself into the lottery...

HARRISON TWINS
The most talked about of the draft prospects are also the most mysterious. As I have said over and over, people who say they know what the Twins are doing simply do not. I can tell you with some confidence that even those close to the Twins don't know and they laugh at the stories of "they are gone" or "they are returning" that are out there right now. Their situation is like Dakari's in that both stand to improve their games and stock by returning. But both thought of themselves as guys who would only play for one year and now they have to decide if they are ok with the second. I pay almost no credibility to the Chad Ford report today that scouts say the Twins believe they weren't "showcased" correctly by Calipari...they were probably the two who Calipari had the least problems with all season. I just think they are torn and trying to make the best decision possible. I am asked all the time if they will return and UK definitely could use them...without them, they really only have three guards on the team next season (Ulis, Booker and Hawkins), so it will be thin without them. But any guess on their future is just a guess...to me they are a toss-up...

jbcarol

In an interview with The Courier-Journal, Chad Ford, ESPN's NBA draft guru, broke down each of Kentucky's top eight players and their pro prospects. He explains why they might leave, a reason for each to stay and his prediction.

Ford rates Julius Randle, James Young and Willie Cauley-Stein as certain first-round picks and thinks Andrew and Aaron Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress are late-first or early second-round selections. While he believes some of them could – and that a few should – improve their stock by coming back to school for another year, Ford said none are at risk of not being picked.

"I even think Marcus Lee would be drafted," Ford said. "All eight players from Kentucky would be drafted. That's amazing, but it's true."

QuotePF JULIUS RANDLE (6-9, 250, freshman)
Prediction: "He's gonna go. He's gone."

SF JAMES YOUNG (6-6, 215, freshman)
Prediction: "He's gonna go."

C WILLIE CAULEY-STEIN (7-0, 244, sophomore)
Prediction: "I don't know. I thought he would go. Some of his comments I've read and talking to some of the agents who are interviewing these kids, sounds like he might be more on the fence than I thought. At the end of the day, I think he goes, but I think he's definitely more iffy than those first two."

PG ANDREW HARRISON (6-6, 215, freshman)
Why he'd go: "You could just put 'long pause – long, long pause from Chad Ford.' This is the feedback that I've gotten from agents that have interviewed him and their dad: They feel like they weren't showcased or presented as well as they could've been as players and are not sure that another year at Kentucky helps them

SG AARON HARRISON (6-6, 218, freshman)
Prediction: "Gone. Both of those (Harrison) kids are gone."

C DAKARI JOHNSON (7-0, 265, freshman)
Prediction: "He's the one I know least about, as far as chatter from agents. I know he's looking into the process. Man, I don't know. I really don't know on him. It's a question mark."

SF ALEX POYTHRESS (6-8, 239, sophomore)
Prediction: "I think he stays."

PF MARCUS LEE (6-9, 215, freshman)
Prediction: "I think he stays. He's got the best opportunity of anyone on that team to dramatically increase his draft stock by staying a year."

jbcarol

April 14, 2014, 09:34:10 am #130 Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:50:01 am by jbcarol
The John Calipari media tour rolls on, and Cal called into "The Dan Patrick Show" this morning:

Cal added that he really hopes the one-and-done rule is changed to two years, because if not, staying at UK several more years would be hard "because the option is to recruit players who are not good enough or convince kids to stay who should leave." How many players does Cal think will go pro? "The good news is eight can go, and I know eight aren't going." During a commercial break look-in, Patrick asked him the over/under on five guys turning pro. Cal said he would take the under. "I just hope it's under so I get to coach them another year."

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/cal-reiterates-that-hes-not-going-to-the-lakers

On his next interview he downplayed the "over/under" on how many he thinks will turn pro.  He related non-specific scenarios where he has urged a potential lottery pick to go pro and stated he had a "second rounder" say he is going and he is now having to "lie (chuckles)" to NBA execs that this guy is a first round talent.

The issue for the bigs is that with Towns and Lyles coming in, there is no guarantee for minutes for a guy like Dakari Johnson.  He could not play in the NBA and get paid or not play at UK and have nice room and board.

Johnboy

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 12, 2014, 01:41:15 pm

Quote from: blu on April 12, 2014, 08:38:14 pm
Hey, I've been a member here since 2004 - it was the other way around, but no biggie.

Haha this is great.

Hawg Red

I still like Florida as the favorite to win the league. Returning talent and incoming talent is legit. Elite coach. Gotta be the favorite.

Don't know what to think about Kentucky. I'm not super high on their incoming freshmen, so it really comes down to who all comes back. I'm thinking Poythress, Marcus Lee and Dakari Johnson come back but Randle, Young, the Harrisons, and Cauley-Stein leave. That leaves the 'Cats with like 3 guards (returning Hawkins, Ulis and Booker). That's probably not going to go too well for them.

If Qualls comes back, I think the Hogs have a legit shot at the top 2. Might still do well even if he does go (stuff would have go to right but could).

jbcarol

Shelby Mast ‏@BracketWAG ·16 hrs
Way too early bracket posted for next year, top half I feel good about, bottom half is mostly an educated guess.

USA-Today bracketologist

http://www.bracketwag.com

2-seed UK
3-seed UF
10-seed UT
12-seed A&M (first four game)

First Four Out includes: Arkansas

MikePiazza

Quote from: GatorsGators on April 13, 2014, 02:43:10 pm
1. Florida
2. Kentucky (assuming the Harrisons return)
3. Arkansas - Return the majority of one of the better teams in the conference. Should be a tourney team.
4. LSU - Martin and Mickey will be a great frontcourt combo, and having bigger guards next season should help them improve defensively.
5. Georgia - Should be solid again, but I'm not sure how much upside they have.
6. Alabama - Lose Releford, but bring in two transfers and three freshman who all address their most pressing need: shooting.
7. Ole Miss - Not sure why everyone has them so low. All they're losing is Henderson. They'll still have some talent with Summers, Perez, Saiz, and JUCO/FAU transfer Stefan Moody.
8. Texas A&M - Return the majority of last year's team and add some nice pieces, like Alex Robinson and Tony Trocha.
9. Vanderbilt - If Kedren Johnson returns back, this is too low. They have some talent in Damien Jones, Dai-Jon Parker, and several skilled freshman guards who should give them depth that they didn't have last year. I think they'll improve.
10. South Carolina - They were playing better towards the end of last season. They'll probably take a step forward, albeit a very small one.
11. Tennessee - I like Richardson and Hubbs, but their frontcourt is going to be a disaster.
12. Missouri - Who is going to score for them? Duece Bello? Lol. The Notre Dame transfer? Maybe. Their frontcourt is going to be a disaster as well. JW3 is a nice piece, but he's all they have down low. Keanau Post? Nope. Rosburg? He'd be better off in the MVC.
13. Auburn - It's going to take Pearl several years. Barbee didn't leave him very much talent.
14. Mississippi State - Just no talent here. Rick Ray was a terrible hire.

I don't think MSU fans realized how good they had it with Stansbury.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

jbcarol

Reports or self-tweets that Willie Cauley-Stein and Marcus Lee are returning to play for UK in '14-15.

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats  2m
Updated: Willie Cauley-Stein blog now includes the full Willie quote from UK http://bit.ly/1hFJY9r

Gettin Hogwild

I say we finish top three in SEC and get anywhere between a 4 and 6 seed. I like everyone we have coming back and I think we make a run. I think Beard and Babb will end up being a huge difference in conference play. Anything less that sweet sixteen experience would be a disappointment to me (personally). I say 25 wins. Any thoughts? Go Hogs Go!!

Gettin Hogwild

Hey -blu if you predict us to finish 2nd in conference how does that translate to an 8 seed?

yraciv

Quote from: Gettin Hogwild on April 14, 2014, 11:29:44 pm
Hey -blu if you predict us to finish 2nd in conference how does that translate to an 8 seed?

Did you see what the SEC runner up was seeded this year?  I think an 8 or 9 is about right for us, but I think you see a SEC team at a 5 or  6 next year, as well as a 2 or 3.

-Blu

Quote from: Gettin Hogwild on April 14, 2014, 11:29:44 pm

I'm going off of the SEC probably getting even less respect next year, than it did this year.  At least this year we had 2 teams preseason top 10 ranked, probably only Kentucky will be preseason top 10 this year, Florida will probably start off ranked in the 20s just off off their reputation and the recruits they have.

If you look at this year, Kentucky finished 2nd in conference and was ranked most of the year and only got an 8 seed.  And the reason  I gave Florida a 6 seed and finishing 3rd is because more than likely they will have a tougher Non-Conference schedule than us, and their national perception is higher than Arkansas right now, they'll get more love from the committee IMO if records are similar.  I could see a scenario of us getting 2nd in conference with like a 13-5 record and Florida going 12-6 and finishing 3rd, but Florida maybe beats a ranked team on the road in their non-conference and have a better SOS, so they get a better seed.

rzrbackramsfan

Sometimes when I post in MMQB I want to come back here and say bye to everyone for a while lol. 

z1on

1. Kentucky - They are going to be nasty. Their front court will have 3 players over 7 feet tall.
2. Florida
3. Arkansas
4. Georgia
5. LSU
6. Alabama
7. South Carolina
8. Tennessee
9. Vandy
10. Texas A&M
11. Ole Miss
12. Mizzou
13. Auburn
14. Mississippi St

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: z1on on April 15, 2014, 12:16:45 am
1. Kentucky - They are going to be nasty. Their front court will have 3 players over 7 feet tall.
2. Florida
3. Arkansas
4. Georgia
5. LSU
6. Alabama
7. South Carolina
8. Tennessee
9. Vandy
10. Texas A&M
11. Ole Miss
12. Mizzou
13. Auburn
14. Mississippi St

LOL where Missouri's at, but I can't argue that they'll be better than any of the teams in front on them, maybe they could be six though. 6-13 is kind of up for grabs.

I'm just so glad that we're out of the pack now.  Anderson is really getting us there. 

Tick Hog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 15, 2014, 12:22:24 am
LOL where Missouri's at, but I can't argue that they'll be better than any of the teams in front on them, maybe they could be six though. 6-13 is kind of up for grabs.

I'm just so glad that we're out of the pack now.  Anderson is really getting us there. 
Anderson and team have to go out and earn this it's not a given

jbcarol

Matt Jones: Decision by Willie Cauley-Stein to return to Kentucky for his Junior season

This is probably one of the two biggest "returns" of a Calipari-recruited player (along with Terrence Jones) of the last five seasons and for many, is completely unexpected. All season long, Willie was presumed to be headed to the league and everyone around the program had long thought that two years of WCS would be all we would be lucky enough to get. But then things began to change in March. Willie started talking to friends/teammates about a return and after his injury the decision was made... Still I couldn't help but be skeptical because what Willie did is unusual...he returned to school while potentially being a lottery pick. That takes a lot of guts and I applaud Willie for making the call.

Still, the decision does make sense for two reasons. First, there is an argument that Willie Cauley-Stein wasn't the high pick lock that some presumed. A source tells KSR that Willie had surgery in the last couple of days and he would have been unable to workout during the draft process. This would have really hindered Willie's likely draft status because he is the type of player who would be a workout warrior. NBA folks love guys like Willie...long, athletic and quick makes scouts drool and much of Willie's projection was based on these qualities. If he was unable to show them, that could be a problem. Thus a return gives him a chance to put his best foot forward with another season of development and a chance to have all his best traits on display.

But the other reason Willie's return makes sense is a fact intrinsic to him. Willie Cauley-Stein is just a different guy, to whom basketball is a part but not the whole of his life. Here is a secret about nearly every big-time college basketball player who is looking at the Draft...their life is basketball. One of my favorite questions to ask players when they arrive on campus is what they would do if they weren't basketball players...for many the question has never even entered their minds. These guys grow up wanting to play basketball and most of their free time is based on basketball activities. Not Willie. WCS is a kid with a lot of interests in a lot of areas and a free spirit prone to search for the happiness of the moment he is in. After the national championship game, he talked to reporters about the allure of the NBA but then noted that if you are happy doing what you are doing now, why rush to something else? That is a great insight (not just about the NBA but everything in life) and one that few players truly carry. Willie is happy being a college student and being in school...a fact that is even more amazing considering he sort of hated school when he arrived. This has become a place where he is happy, has varied interests and has many friends of diverse backgrounds. In Willie's mind, why change that if he doesn't have to?

There will be a huge effect on the Kentucky team due to Willie's decision to return. Kentucky is now loaded in the front court and he adds a huge dose of athleticism to a class that isnt quite as explosive athletically as in previous years. But it is also a testament to a kid who just does things differently...

The first "announcement" today came from Marcus Lee, whose brother told Adam Zagoria that he would be returning to Kentucky. The idea of Lee considering the draft was mocked by some, but honestly it should not have been. Lee would have gone in the top 40 in the draft thanks to his potential and his length makes his NBA future very promising. He will now be part of a very crowded frontcourt (even more so if Dakari returns as well) but I expect him to improve a great deal this summer. Marcus is a great kid and one of my favorite guys on the team, With him and the other potential returnees back in Lexington, practices next season are going to be absolutely stacked.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/willie-cauley-steins-tuesday-news-and-views

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 14, 2014, 11:17:50 am
Shelby Mast ‏@BracketWAG ·16 hrs
Way too early bracket posted for next year, top half I feel good about, bottom half is mostly an educated guess.

USA-Today bracketologist

http://www.bracketwag.com

2-seed UK
3-seed UF
10-seed UT
12-seed A&M (first four game)

First Four Out includes: Arkansas

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hawg Red

Very uneven roster, as it stands right now. I have no idea why Cauley-Stein decided to come back. The Harrisons are the only players they needed to come back besides Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee.

They'll have 3 guards. Period. Literally just 3 guards on their roster -- Dominique Hawkins (sophomore role player), Tyler Ulis (freshman PG), and Devin Booker (freshman SG). That's it. Unless the Harrisons unexpectedly come back. That's going to hurt them a lot, no matter how big they are.

GuvHog

2. Florida
3. Arkansas
4. Georgia
5. LSU
6. Alabama
7. South Carolina
8. Tennessee
9. Vandy
10. Texas A&M
11. Ole Miss
12. Mizzou
13. Auburn
14. Mississippi St

I'll be seriously shocked if Bama finishes that high. Their HC is a bad one and he'll definitely be on the Hot seat next year. I'm surprised that they haven't already fired him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on April 15, 2014, 09:12:34 am
I'll be seriously shocked if Bama finishes that high. Their HC is a bad one and he'll definitely be on the Hot seat next year. I'm surprised that they haven't already fired him.

For some reason, I keep believing in Grant. He has talent returning next year, and a pretty good transfer coming in, so we'll see what happens. With Pearl at AU, this is obviously a make-or-break year for him.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  Apr 14 
I'm told Jabari Brown spent Friday meeting with agents. Still expected to stay in NBA draft.