Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Three questions post Spain

Started by lynbug, August 14, 2016, 04:49:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

1.  Did any other SEC teams (other than GA) play any of these teams, just for comparison.

2.  Based solely on these stats has anyone changed their idea on possible player rotations.

3.  Did C. J. Jones performances surprise anyone. (Prior to these games I was just daydreaming about JUCO impacts.)

The_Iceman

I feel better about Macon and Barford being here two years. They are good, but not NBA ready.

Hawg Red

I feel really good about things after this trip. Love how they responded after getting beat, love that it looks like we are a legit 10 deep.

Swinesong1

Quote from: lynbug on August 14, 2016, 04:49:25 pm
1.  Did any other SEC teams (other than GA) play any of these teams, just for comparison.

Is GA playing the same teams?  I know Purdue is and other than the first game, Hogs are winning by larger margins.  I know a publication or two has Purdue in preseason rankings. 

azhog10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 14, 2016, 05:12:08 pm
Is GA playing the same teams?  I know Purdue is and other than the first game, Hogs are winning by larger margins.  I know a publication or two has Purdue in preseason rankings.
GA played the same teams as Dayton not us.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lynbug on August 14, 2016, 04:49:25 pm

2.  Based solely on these stats has anyone changed their idea on possible player rotations.

3.  Did C. J. Jones performances surprise anyone. (Prior to these games I was just daydreaming about JUCO impacts.)
1. No one in the SEC. Not even UGA. Purdue played the same first team we played and struggled as well. However they did comeback and win.
2. For the most part the rotations went as expected. CJ Jones would be the only surprise.
3. CJ Jones talent doesn't surprise anyone as he had the skill and athletic ability. But this immediate impact is without a doubt a surprise.

lynbug

Thanks for the correction.  I thought that someone earlier had posted that GA had played the same teams as we did.  Must have skimmed the posts a little too fast.

jjdlc

The loss didn't surprise me at all.  I'm very high on what this team could accomplish, but there were a lot of factors in that first game that at least for me made it easy to see a possible loss coming.   The performance in the other three games reinforces my opinion that this team could gel into something special.

I felt we got a steal in Jones from the beginning, but I am rather surprised at the level of impact so early. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 14, 2016, 05:37:58 pm
1. No one in the SEC. Not even UGA. Purdue played the same first team we played and struggled as well. However they did comeback and win.
2. For the most part the rotations went as expected. CJ Jones would be the only surprise.
3. CJ Jones talent doesn't surprise anyone as he had the skill and athletic ability. But this immediate impact is without a doubt a surprise.

He was possibly less talked about than rj glasper.  I think everyone missed the boat on him. I don't think he's a flash in the pan either, he has all the tangibles. I was most surprised about high his vertical is. 

Swinesong1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 14, 2016, 05:37:58 pm
For the record, Purdue has played the same teams as the Hogs.  Doing so a day later.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 14, 2016, 07:33:07 pm
For the record, Purdue has played the same teams as the Hogs.  Doing so a day later.

I assumed they were. But I wasn't 100 sure so I didn't post it.

010HogFan

Quote from: lynbug on August 14, 2016, 05:42:59 pm
Thanks for the correction.  I thought that someone earlier had posted that GA had played the same teams as we did.  Must have skimmed the posts a little too fast.

I saw that post too. I think UGA played these teams a year or two ago

yraciv

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 15, 2016, 11:39:07 am
I saw that post too. I think UGA played these teams a year or two ago

UGA played the Barcelona All Stars and won 96-72.
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080816aaf.html

We played the Barcelona All Stars and won by a similar margin, 99-77.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Game-3-Box-Score.pdf

UGA didn't provide a box score and on our schedule the team was listed as the Barcelona Region All Stars, so I can't confirm they were the same team.  Purdue's schedule is mirroring ours though and yielding similar results.

Swinesong1

August 15, 2016, 03:32:08 pm #13 Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:52:27 pm by Swinesong1
Purdue just beat Euro Academy 117-66.  So to recap:   AR lost to Casvi by six.  Purdue defeated Casvi by nine but it took a 37-16 run to secure the victory.

AR beat Albacete 96-61 while Purdue won 88-67

AR beat BC All Stars 99-77 while Purdue won 96-72

AR beat Euro Academy 124-55 while Purdue won 117-66

Purdue played each team one day after Hogs.

Purdue is ranked in some preseason polls.   

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 15, 2016, 03:32:08 pm
Purdue just beat Euro Academy 117-66.  So to recap:   AR lost to Casvi by six.  Purdue defeated Casvi by nine but it took a 37-16 run to secure the victory.

AR beat Albacete 96-61 while Purdue won 88-67

AR beat BC All Stars 99-77 while Purdue won 96-72

AR beat Euro Academy 124-55 while Purdue won 117-66

Purdue played each team one day after Hogs.

Purdue is ranked in some preseason polls.

Thanks for the info. Very similar results. Looks like we did pretty well in comparison.

FineAsSwine

Really like the way the bench played. Jones, Bailey, Beard and Watkins were all pretty solid overall. Thompson didn't seem to look to score much but neither did Kingsley.

rude1

3. Is a solid yes. Huge surprise for me, best case scenario for me would be for him to provide some spot duty this season. With his play in Spain it appears he will be more than a role player and will challenge for significant playing time from the older players.

nwahogfan1

i think this will be a fun team to watch offensively to watch.  CJ scoring surprised me. I was expecting more from Barford from all his hype I was reading.  I think we have a good team but defense, player(s) leadership and coaching adjustments will determine 5+ wins especially on the road.  I am not sure yet how we will react to adversity on the road yet.

HoopS

I still can't draw much of a conclusion because I didn't see them play. To state that certain players aren't NBA ready right now, while maybe right, is doing so without much info to draw on. Unless you went over there, I'm not sure how you saw enough to make many statements. Not seeing the flow of the games, and also playing with a 24 second clock and officialls who officiate different than what we will likely see, all gives me pause when making assessments. It was good to see CJ putting up points. He shot well statistically. But overall, Kingsley and Barford probably did less than what they will do for whatever reason. Wouldn't write them off in terms of being NBA ready or not based on this trip alone. It was good to see us score a lot of points and get contributions from a lot of players.

azhog10

Quote from: HoopS on August 16, 2016, 08:44:44 am
I still can't draw much of a conclusion because I didn't see them play. To state that certain players aren't NBA ready right now, while maybe right, is doing so without much info to draw on. Unless you went over there, I'm not sure how you saw enough to make many statements. Not seeing the flow of the games, and also playing with a 24 second clock and officialls who officiate different than what we will likely see, all gives me pause when making assessments. It was good to see CJ putting up points. He shot well statistically. But overall, Kingsley and Barford probably did less than what they will do for whatever reason. Wouldn't write them off in terms of being NBA ready or not based on this trip alone. It was good to see us score a lot of points and get contributions from a lot of players.
Yeah, I mean Kingsley didn't have many "wow" games. Barford and Macon are still getting a feel for how they can make their impact on this team. They are also getting used to not being "the" only guy on their team that can score. So they will take time and who knows when the light bulb will come on for them.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2016, 09:06:09 am
Yeah, I mean Kingsley didn't have many "wow" games. Barford and Macon are still getting a feel for how they can make their impact on this team. They are also getting used to not being "the" only guy on their team that can score. So they will take time and who knows when the light bulb will come on for them.

or with 10 people scoring most nights and several in double digits, 11/12 pts.. 5 rbs, 4 ast, a couple of steals and hellacious defense is a pretty good average... I drank so much kool-aid this week.. I think it's going to be very hard to average more than 12-14 points on this team... we'll have 8 players between 6 and 14 points per game.... this will be the best Hawg team since at least 1998 if not 96... we'll be better than the Portis year... we are going to be a very good defensive team... that wins big games.. I'm calling for total wins of at least 28... 8)

Biggus Piggus

Barford had a hard time adjusting to the officiating style -- rough inside, touchy outside. Good experience for him.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: HoopS on August 16, 2016, 08:44:44 am

If Barford were NBA ready right now, why would he bother to go to college? He just should have entered the draft. He has a chance to get a look eventually, but he's where he should be.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 16, 2016, 10:55:51 am
Barford had a hard time adjusting to the officiating style -- rough inside, touchy outside. Good experience for him.

well, that should have told him exactly how he'll see it in the SEC games! ;)
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HoopS

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 17, 2016, 09:58:03 am
If Barford were NBA ready right now, why would he bother to go to college? He just should have entered the draft. He has a chance to get a look eventually, but he's where he should be.
That is true. But again, who among us really got to watch him play and can confidently state what level he is right now? I sure can't.