Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting 5 for Game 2

Started by azhog10, August 10, 2016, 11:07:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Jones and Beards minutes have to be off, or they have to get more minutes.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 10, 2016, 12:57:13 pm
Should see a nice boost in our RPI after this one.

Made me chuckle.  ;D
Hogs up! Covid down!

azhog10

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 10, 2016, 01:00:09 pm
Jones and Beards minutes have to be off, or they have to get more minutes.
If you go to the game 1 thread, people seem to think Beard needs less minutes......

naturalbornpigger

60 rebounds?  Really?  Is that a mistake?

azhog10

Purdue is down early to Casvi. Their twitter seems to suggest they too are having a hard time adjusting to the officials.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2016, 12:33:55 pm
Jones has a great midrange + driving game. Good height/reach advantage, all-around skills. Really liked him when I saw him play in HS.

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 15, 2016, 08:24:02 am
He looks like a knockdown 3-point shooter if that's him.  Is that him at 50:25?  If so, his teammates appear to know he's a knockdown 3-point shooter as well.  One of his teammates gets the ball to him for a wide open look and then immediately puts his hand up to signal a 3 and starts jogging the other way like he knows it's going to be good.

At the risk of pissing people off by "talking every kid who signs with Arkansas up", I think we might've landed a steal here.  By all indications, he can score the ball (six 30+ point games), he's a tall guard (at least 6'4"), appears to be able to shoot the 3 (by watching the videos and didn't someone say he had something like 11 3s in a game?), has decent handles (they had him playing PG some), and appears to be able to shoot FTs well (from the video).  He still needs to add muscle/weight to his skinny frame (same as Whitt when we signed him) and appears to need to work more on the defensive end, but we shouldn't need to rely on him much next season, unless he just demands to be on the court with his impressive play. 

azhog10

ECC up 5 at halftime on Purdue.

daprospecta

He looks like a knockdown 3-point shooter if that's him.  Is that him at 50:25?  If so, his teammates appear to know he's a knockdown 3-point shooter as well.  One of his teammates gets the ball to him for a wide open look and then immediately puts his hand up to signal a 3 and starts jogging the other way like he knows it's going to be good.

At the risk of pissing people off by "talking every kid who signs with Arkansas up", I think we might've landed a steal here.  By all indications, he can score the ball (six 30+ point games), he's a tall guard (at least 6'4"), appears to be able to shoot the 3 (by watching the videos and didn't someone say he had something like 11 3s in a game?), has decent handles (they had him playing PG some), and appears to be able to shoot FTs well (from the video).  He still needs to add muscle/weight to his skinny frame (same as Whitt when we signed him) and appears to need to work more on the defensive end, but we shouldn't need to rely on him much next season, unless he just demands to be on the court with his impressive play. 

Well damn. You called that situation like you had a flux capacitor in your possession.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on August 10, 2016, 01:12:13 pm
60 rebounds?  Really?  Is that a mistake?
That was rather eye-popping to me as well. Of course, there were about 80 missed shots.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

The Hogfather

Quote from: daprospecta on August 10, 2016, 02:04:31 pm
Well damn. You called that situation like you had a flux capacitor in your possession.

Very funny.  Like Biggus, I liked what I saw from his videos and what I read about him in high school.  I definitely thought he looked like he could be a huge steal for us.

Jackrabbit Hog

I assume they are playing by international rules and not NCAA rules?  If so, that would help explain the foul problems.  There are lots of different rules and the refs, regardless of where they are from, call hand-heavy perimeter play very closely.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 10, 2016, 02:22:17 pm
Very funny.  Like Biggus, I liked what I saw from his videos and what I read about him in high school.  I definitely thought he looked like he could be a huge steal for us.

I saw him play in a holiday tournament in Chattanooga. Went just to see him. Pleasantly surprised. People who were there thought he was a steal. At one time he was going to attend UTC.
[CENSORED]!

azhog10

Purdue ending up winning 80-71. They were down 12 in the 3rd quarter but were able to hit some threes and timely steals. They actually had a live feed of their game in the 2nd half.

azhog10

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 10, 2016, 02:06:01 pm
You are a junkie.
They actually had a live feed on youtube!!! Where's Dudley at?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2016, 02:38:55 pm
I saw him play in a holiday tournament in Chattanooga. Went just to see him. Pleasantly surprised. People who were there thought he was a steal. At one time he was going to attend UTC.

Yes!  Great to hear.  Glad he's played well so far.  Hope he can continue to prove to be a steal.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 10, 2016, 03:02:38 pm
Yes!  Great to hear.  Glad he's played well so far.  Hope he can continue to prove to be a steal.

Liked his interview after todays game, especially his response to the perceived snub from high major schools "they looked at me but I guess they didn't see nothing".

Fuel to the fire! Prove 'em wrong C.J.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin

so the sun came up today I see
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HoopS

hogwood

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 10, 2016, 03:09:16 pm
Liked his interview after todays game, especially his response to the perceived snub from high major schools "they looked at me but I guess they didn't see nothing".

Interview a/I highlight links would be appreciated.

TheRazorback500

I thought we might look better today. Great to hear about Bailey and Jones. Like football, we improved a lot from game one to game two. Woopig.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 10, 2016, 03:09:16 pm

Lol!!! Apparently they need glasses...

I hope he is this efficient all year! 15 pts in 18min, damn. Keep it up young man.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

nwahogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on August 10, 2016, 11:07:04 am
Kingsley
Thomas
Macon
Hannahs
Barford

This is probably going to be the norm.
Much better scoring and quicker line up for sure.  I bet better perimeter defense also.

opineonswine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 10, 2016, 11:40:45 am
Manny 1-3 from 3, wth is up with that? Has he taken 3 in his career ;D

I saw him practice shooting threes in the Spring. He must have hit 90% of 50 shots. Course no defender in his face.

RealHog

Quote from: opineonswine on August 10, 2016, 08:44:32 pm
I saw him practice shooting threes in the Spring. He must have hit 90% of 50 shots. Course no defender in his face.

I have heard that your average weekend basketball warrior would be shocked to see how good end of the bench high major college basketball players actually are. To even make a high major ball team you have to be very very good.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: opineonswine on August 10, 2016, 08:44:32 pm
It would be a big plus if he was a threat from the perimeter when he is in the game, til now people have really been able to help off of him.

Hawg Red

This team could be scary if they're able to put together their depth + athleticism + shooting + size + guard play. The ingredients are there for this to be Anderson's best team at Arkansas. I don't expect to see that on the court early on, but hopefully by early SEC play they are clicking and playing up to potential. Last year's team overall played to their potential and at times played above their potential. If we can get that same effort from last year's undermanned/undertalented roster with this depth, almost complete roster.....they could legitimately make it to the Sweet 16.

The potential depth of this team is not be undersold. Adrio Bailey and C.J. Jones could give us options outside of the major contributors to stay relentless. Still early, but their play yesterday was really impressive. Jones did the things we saw on his HS tape and Bailey seems like he's going to be what we had hoped JaCorey Williams would be.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 11, 2016, 09:34:37 am
This team could be scary if they're able to put together their depth + athleticism + shooting + size + guard play. The ingredients are there for this to be Anderson's best team at Arkansas. I don't expect to see that on the court early on, but hopefully by early SEC play they are clicking and playing up to potential. Last year's team overall played to their potential and at times played above their potential. If we can get that same effort from last year's undermanned/undertalented roster with this depth, almost complete roster.....they could legitimately make it to the Sweet 16.

The potential depth of this team is not be undersold. Adrio Bailey and C.J. Jones could give us options outside of the major contributors to stay relentless. Still early, but their play yesterday was really impressive. Jones did the things we saw on his HS tape and Bailey seems like he's going to be what we had hoped JaCorey Williams would be.
Add to that a guy like Hazen who, from the stats I saw, put up numbers that resembled what we go from Jacorey his freshman season ( 9 mins and 3 ppg). Getting a guy as late as we did in Hazen with the ability to bang a little bit and shoot the ball is encouraging. Obviously it was a route and Hazen may not see the floor much this year, but if he's needed I think he's got similar athleticism and probably more skilled than Jacorey was at this stage.

Danny J

Quote from: hogwood on August 10, 2016, 05:36:38 pm
Interview a/I highlight links would be appreciated.
Sometimes that fuels the fire in a true competitors belly. That might drive him to go on to do great things.

azhog10

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Danny J on August 11, 2016, 03:30:27 pm
Sometimes that fuels the fire in a true competitors belly. That might drive him to go on to do great things.

Someone made a comparison to Nick Babb but this kid is coming out much more aggressively than Babb did early on. He doesn't seem hesitant to try and impact the game. This is a trait that I like.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 11, 2016, 07:43:45 pm
Someone made a comparison to Nick Babb but this kid is coming out much more aggressively than Babb did early on. He doesn't seem hesitant to try and impact the game. This is a trait that I like.

Where they comparing him too Babb or just the expectations as an incoming freshman with high potential?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 11, 2016, 09:44:11 pm
Where they comparing him too Babb or just the expectations as an incoming freshman with high potential?
A little of both. Babb is a great athlete and showed signs of being able to score from the perimeter, so they are similar in that aspect.  Hopefully we see Jones reach the potential a lot of us saw in Babb.

RealHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on August 11, 2016, 10:03:34 pm
A little of both. Babb is a great athlete and showed signs of being able to score from the perimeter, so they are similar in that aspect.  Hopefully we see Jones reach the potential a lot of us saw in Babb.

Raw apparently, but 6-5, stroke, hops, aggressive = exciting prospect. Hopefully his Basketball IQ and handles can come along and we might have a sleeper star. Normally the problem with freak athletes is they can't shoot, so this is very intriguing.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 11, 2016, 09:44:11 pm

They were seeing and commenting on Jones showing some potential as a possible freshman contributor that Babb also showed.

I was just noting that Babb seemed a little more content to defer as opposed to Jones aggressiveness early on. That's all.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Biggus Piggus

Babb never showed much offensive ability, even in the offseason. He deferred a lot.
[CENSORED]!

HawgnCorona

He seems more confident in his ability...

HogBreath

Quote from: azhog10 on August 11, 2016, 09:44:57 am
Add to that a guy like Hazen who, from the stats I saw, put up numbers that resembled what we go from Jacorey his freshman season ( 9 mins and 3 ppg). Getting a guy as late as we did in Hazen with the ability to bang a little bit and shoot the ball is encouraging. Obviously it was a route and Hazen may not see the floor much this year, but if he's needed I think he's got similar athleticism and probably more skilled than Jacorey was at this stage.
Of course Hazen is more skilled than Jacorey at this stage, in fact, I'd bet you & about any other poster you'd choose are a lot more skilled than Jacorey at this stage.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hogwood

Quote from: HogBreath on August 12, 2016, 09:45:14 pm
about any other poster you'd choose are a lot more skilled than Jacorey at this stage.

Pretty sure JaCorey would slaughter almost any poster here. Are you good enough to beat a baller who is 6'8", quick, long, and athletic?

Don't bash players. Especially with a stupid claim like that.