Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting 5 for Game 1 in Spain

Started by SONofHAM, August 09, 2016, 12:40:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Welp nice effort down the stretch.

A 20 FTA disparity is always hard to overcome.

Team actually clawed it's way back after Moses fouled out.

What stands out to me most in the box score is Beard and Thompson a combined 49 minutes and total of 2 pts.   Beard only 3 assists to 2 TOs. 

Dusty may have sat a little too long at the end.  From the stat tracker looked like he didn't go back in until maybe less than a minute after we were back down by 3.

Wish I could have seen it live to see the new guys.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Virgil

Good news is the game doesn't count.  Bad news lots of work to do.  Ton of missed layups which I don't get and a lot of turn-overs late in the game.  17 of them.  Gotta get that fixed. 

These summer games should help though with building team chemistry.  I still think we'll be ok once these guys gel together.  Still VERY EARLY with all these new players to feel each other out and to learn how to play together.  Hopefully a better turn out tomorrow.  Go Hogs!!!  WPS
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

FreshHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 09, 2016, 02:52:02 pm
Ouch!  Is the team we lost to any good?  Any way to judge?  I understand it was in a crappy, high school gym, 1st game together for this bunch, in a foreign country, different rules, etc.

Doubt anyone knows. That jose guy seemed pretty good on the stat sheet :P

Like you said, first game together, really far away from home, in a way new environment, new culture, new languages being spoken, etc.

Virgil

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 09, 2016, 02:52:32 pm
Welp nice effort down the stretch.

A 20 FTA disparity is always hard to overcome.

Team actually clawed it's way back after Moses fouled out.

What stands out to me most in the box score is Beard and Thompson a combined 49 minutes and total of 2 pts.   Beard only 3 assists to 2 TOs. 

Dusty may have sat a little too long at the end.  From the stat tracker looked like he didn't go back in until maybe less than a minute after we were back down by 3.

Wish I could have seen it live to see the new guys.

It may have been Dusty's terrible shooting performance.  According to the stats he didn't shoot to well.  From those stats it looks like Macon and Barford should have shot the ball more. 

King Kong

Quote from: Virgil on August 09, 2016, 02:57:06 pm
It may have been Dusty's terrible shooting performance.  According to the stats he didn't shoot to well.  From those stats it looks like Macon and Barford should have shot the ball more.

Macon and Barford have to be more aggressive. I totally agree

Of course the high number of fouls they had I'm sure made that difficult.

Danny J

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 09, 2016, 02:52:02 pm
Ouch!  Is the team we lost to any good?  Any way to judge?  I understand it was in a crappy, high school gym, 1st game together for this bunch, in a foreign country, different rules, etc.
Not to mention the refs plus our style of play with virtually a new team usually equals a lot of fouls. We will get better

uncle bubs

From what I'm hearing on the radio the rules, and the actual ball itself, are different than in the states. Hence the high number of fouls on our end. I'm not sure of the time difference, but you can assume some jet-lag came into play. I'm not worried about this game one bit. Wasn't the Spanish team a pro team?
God bless the Boston Mountains.

poloprince

Beast Mo must play better and the lineup that started today will not be starting Nov 11.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Virgil

Quote from: uncle bubs on August 09, 2016, 03:03:43 pm
From what I'm hearing on the radio the rules, and the actual ball itself, are different than in the states. Hence the high number of fouls on our end. I'm not sure of the time difference, but you can assume some jet-lag came into play. I'm not worried about this game one bit. Wasn't the Spanish team a pro team?

Not a pro team.  A club team like in soccer. 

Swinesong1

Quote from: Virgil on August 09, 2016, 02:57:06 pm
Dudley said Hannahs was a liability on defense.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 09, 2016, 02:49:00 pm
welp good try Hogs. can't fall behind that far and expect to come back. I suspect there was probably some home cooking involved also
Or.. it is the first time most of these players have ever played together.  I like how they didn't quit.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hawg Red

Hate to see them lose a game against a team you know they're better than. But now is the time for stuff like that.

HF#1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 09, 2016, 03:18:53 pm
Dudley said Hannahs was a liability on defense.

Same thing is said about every white dude that has played the game.  It's a stereotype more than a legit observation.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Seems to me this game was a result of Anderson putting out the worst starting five possible and seeing what happens.  We got down big and the players that should have been starting couldn't pull out the victory so we lost by 6.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

poloprince

How big is the guy on the other team that dominated?
$PoLoPrInCe$

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on August 09, 2016, 01:25:54 pm
I have no idea so I'll ask-how were we expected to do in this tournament?

4-0

That's what the average NCAA team does in Spain.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogfan991 on August 09, 2016, 02:49:42 pm
43 FTs shot by the other team.

This stat sounds like a typical SEC road game for how we try to play. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawgphish

should have played at Verizon..oh wait.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hawgphish on August 09, 2016, 03:43:47 pm
should have played at Verizon..oh wait.

sounds like they did. They were down 8-0 in the early going. Woke up down 16 in the third quarter and fought back to tie. Failed to close. Had one possession where they could take the lead down 1 and Watkins missed what the stats said was a layup.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mbgrulz

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 09, 2016, 03:32:06 pm
4-0

we have no clue about the competition level. Anybody who uses this as a way to guage our season one way or another would be foolish.

Swinesong1

Quote from: HF#1 on August 09, 2016, 03:27:55 pm
Same thing is said about every white dude that has played the game.  It's a stereotype more than a legit observation.
Dudley (who made the statement) is white.  Why does it even matter?  Anybody watching Hannahs knows that he's a liability on D.  Hell, Kingsley joked about it at the end of year banquet.

Atlhogfan1

https://twitter.com/UGABasketball

UGa didn't have much trouble winning in Spain.  No idea how who they played compares.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 09, 2016, 04:14:09 pm
Dudley (who made the statement) is white.  Why does it even matter?  Anybody watching Hannahs knows that he's a liability on D.  Hell, Kingsley joked about it at the end of year banquet.

I never said it was a racist statement.  Just said it was stereotypical.

hogman64

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 09, 2016, 03:32:06 pm
4-0

yeah but it was the worst starting five possible, not used to  the ball, refs don't understand our style of play, high school gym that was to hot , jet-lag, playing a pro team........there were reasons we lost beyond our control....

Big Nasty 34

I would say the extra physical practices contributed to high foul totals, as well.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogman64 on August 09, 2016, 04:54:04 pm
yeah but it was the worst starting five possible, not used to  the ball, refs don't understand our style of play, high school gym that was to hot , jet-lag, playing a pro team........there were reasons we lost beyond our control....

Why even go play then?

That's a lot of excuses lol. We didn't play well, it's early, can't take too much from this. Lot of guys playing together for first time.

Hawgphish

HogBreath

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 09, 2016, 03:50:07 pm
sounds like they did. They were down 8-0 in the early going. Woke up down 16 in the third quarter and fought back to tie. Failed to close. Had one possession where they could take the lead down 1 and Watkins missed what the stats said was a layup.
Sounds like Watkins will be a key player for us this season.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: SONofHAM on August 09, 2016, 12:40:02 pm
Razorback Basketball
@RazorbackMBB

First 5 tonight for the #LosHogs. 30 minutes from tip-off.  Thompson  Hannahs  Watkins  Beard  Kingsley #Rápido40
Just as I called it months ago. I think by game 8 or 9 Watkins will be coming off the bench in favor of Barford or Macon.

Swinesong1

So "Jose" is 6'6" Jorge Sanchez.  A SF is going to have to step up if this season is going to be successful for the Hogs.

lynbug

Concerned that Trey logged 21 minutes and didn't score a point. 

yraciv

I know it's early and comparing scores is ridiculous, but just to note.

Georgia's Spain Trip all W
Madrid All Stars 65-48
Valencia All Stars 118-70
Barcelona All Stars 96-72

Hogs play Barcelona, so hopefully we look better at that point.

hogwood

European refs didn't know what to do about Hogball so they just called a ton of fouls. I thought it was an incorrect stat when I saw the number of fouls.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogwood on August 09, 2016, 07:18:23 pm
European refs didn't know what to do about Hogball so they just called a ton of fouls. I thought it was an incorrect stat when I saw the number of fouls.
Across the ocean, thousands of miles away, yet still so similar to what we see all the time from SEC refs.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Dr. Starcs

The blaming of the refs seems to carry overseas.

That's been a big knock of mine over the last few years. You have to learn to adjust.

A lot of young guys too though, so hopefully they'll figure that out along the way.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogwood on August 09, 2016, 07:18:23 pm
Our guys have probably been hand checking and playing physical perimeter D the last 2 weeks. playing too much with the hands I'm sure.

Kevin

The extra practices are the benefit to a trip like this. Play different combinations. Use as a team learning tool.  Who cares if they win
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Kevin on August 09, 2016, 08:06:26 pm
The extra practices are the benefit to a trip like this. Play different combinations. Use as a team learning tool.  Who cares if they win

Very true but wins are the icing on the cake. Unless you are one of the few who likes fruit cake.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Danny J

Quote from: HogBreath on August 09, 2016, 07:38:16 pm
Across the ocean, thousands of miles away, yet still so similar to what we see all the time from SEC refs.
Exactly...indiscriminate fouling for a variety of reasons whether poor footwork or beat off dribble or just riding a guy down the sideline. We have to be more disciplined especially when games are being called tight. We have seen this movie over and over again.

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on August 09, 2016, 08:06:26 pm
I agree and a team can learn a lot about themselves after losses especially close losses.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 09, 2016, 04:19:06 pm
https://twitter.com/UGABasketball

UGa didn't have much trouble winning in Spain.  No idea how who they played compares.

Georgia is like us, good returning cast (Maten, Frazier) with an influx of new talent like freshman guards Jordan Harris and Tyree Crump and some rising talent in Mike Edwards and Derek Ogbeide. They seemed to jell pretty quick. Thing is, UGA let their assistants be the head coach in the games they played in Spain. I wonder how we'd do if we did that.

I would assume that this team has been playing together for a while. That could help explain the quick start. I think we'll play better next game.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

RealHog

Think about it this way guys, at least we aren't doing this adjusting in a real game. There are a lot of news guys and it looks like there is a lot of building to do.

HogBreath

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 09, 2016, 09:16:36 pm
Georgia is like us, good returning cast (Maten, Frazier) with an influx of new talent like freshman guards Jordan Harris and Tyree Crump and some rising talent in Mike Edwards and Derek Ogbeide. They seemed to jell pretty quick. Thing is, UGA let their assistants be the head coach in the games they played in Spain. I wonder how we'd do if we did that.

I would assume that this team has been playing together for a while. That could help explain the quick start. I think we'll play better next game.

:razorback:
Yeah..good points..I would imagine our opponent was probably the Spanish equivalent of the Warriors or Cavaliers. 

3kgthog

Quote from: Hogfan991 on August 09, 2016, 02:49:42 pm
43 FTs shot by the other team.

I'd expect several more games to look like this once we come home and start the season. And it's not really the refs every single game, home or away. We're a slapping team, not a defensive team. M.A. trademark. Our opponents will live at the FT line.

I'm truly not a Mike hater, but his way of teaching defense is enough to drive fans mad. It's why his road record is so bad. FT discrepancies in the double digits will get you almost every time.

HardingHog

Quote from: Virgil on August 09, 2016, 02:53:50 pm
Good news is the game doesn't count.  Bad news lots of work to do.  Ton of missed layups which I don't get

Saw this mentioned a lot. To clarify, a "missed layup" in one of these live stat websites is any shot around or in the paint that is missed. Could be a floater, missed post move, etc. Don't want people to think we were missing layup line shots or anything here

Jonteviosk

Its going to be another long year sheesh.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

King Kong

Quote from: Jonteviosk on August 10, 2016, 02:15:26 am
Its going to be another long year sheesh.

Overreact much? It's going to take time for this team to gel. Most everyone was aware of that.

The great news is they are getting a lot of time to gel playing games that have zero impact on on Tournement considerations.

Hawg Red

The_Iceman