Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excellent article on the 2017-18 roster as it now stands

Started by swinesation, July 18, 2016, 12:40:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Agreed. Great outlook for 2017-2018. The length of our roster is what stands out to me.

Thompson and Gafford are both 6'9"-6'10" at center.

Our combo forwards are between 6'6"-6'8" (Thomas, Cook, Hazen, Bailey).

Our wings are all between 6'3" and 6'5" (Barford, Macon, Garland, Jones, Hall).

Then we have Beard and Glasper at 6'0" and 5'10".

Depth, length, athleticism....looking more like an Arkansas roster.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 18, 2016, 12:57:45 pm
Agreed. Great outlook for 2017-2018. The length of our roster is what stands out to me.

Thompson and Gafford are both 6'9"-6'10" at center.

Our combo forwards are between 6'6"-6'8" (Thomas, Cook, Hazen, Bailey).

Our wings are all between 6'3" and 6'5" (Barford, Macon, Garland, Jones, Hall).

Then we have Beard and Glasper at 6'0" and 5'10".

Depth, length, athleticism....looking more like an Arkansas roster.

Need a couple guys to become knockdown shooters and watch out!

hogwood

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 18, 2016, 07:29:43 pm
Need a couple guys to become knockdown shooters and watch out!

We are looking good. Could be 2 SW16 quality teams in a row (this season and next) leading into an even better season in 18-19. WPS!

FraggleHog

Quote from: hogwood on July 19, 2016, 12:15:59 pm
We are looking good. Could be 2 SW16 quality teams in a row (this season and next) leading into an even better season in 18-19. WPS!

Could be... I think 2nd round this season, sweet 16/ elite 8 next season... I'll take off my rose colored glasses now.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

The_Iceman

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 20, 2016, 10:43:15 am
Could be... I think 2nd round this season, sweet 16/ elite 8 next season... I'll take off my rose colored glasses now.

I actually do not think that is unrealistic at all. This team is just as talented as the one from 2014-2015. Probably with better guard play, which helps in the tournament.

FineAsSwine

The fever will really hit once basketball practice starts in the fall. By then, this will be a final four team.

hogwood

I agree. I meant SW16 quality, not really predicting. I think the 14-15 team had SW16 qualities/potential, but they ran into UNC. Though I admit I believe the 16-17 team is better. In reality the 14-15 team was 2nd round quality and would have overachieved by reaching the SW16 IMO.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogwood on July 20, 2016, 11:02:16 am
I agree. I meant SW16 quality, not really predicting. I think the 14-15 team had SW16 qualities/potential, but they ran into UNC. Though I admit I believe the 16-17 team is better. In reality the 14-15 team was 2nd round quality and would have overachieved by reaching the SW16 IMO.

On paper, this team looks better than the the Portis, Qualls led team. Now all we need is to figure out a way to win this whole thing on paper without Hannahs having to fire a single shot. This roster needs a chance to jell. Roles are going to have to be fine tuned and refined. Doesn't happen overnight. Could be a team that comes together quickly though. If so, lookout!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 20, 2016, 10:58:43 am
The fever will really hit once basketball practice starts in the fall. By then, this will be a final four team.

Overseas trip may sway those expectations one way or the other.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 20, 2016, 12:16:55 pm
Overseas trip may sway those expectations one way or the other.

Well if we are going to take any lumps, I'd rather it happens there so we know what we need to fix when fall practice starts.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 20, 2016, 01:10:02 pm
Well if we are going to take any lumps, I'd rather it happens there so we know what we need to fix when fall practice starts.

If Barford and/or Macon have some 20 point games, it will definitely excite the fanbase.

Cinco de Hogo

"The Hogs posted a 100.5 adjusted efficiency according to kenpom.com, a figure which ranked 101st in the nation and near the bottom of the SEC. Some of the issues were caused by the lack of another consistent big to pair next to Moses Kingsley"

What I said last year and again this year, we could have won last year with the team we had if TT had progressed a bit faster. The same is true this year, we can win with this team IF TT progresses and gives MK more help.  The other option is for one of the new small forward types to suddenly become a Quallls.

rude1

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 20, 2016, 03:50:00 pm
"The Hogs posted a 100.5 adjusted efficiency according to kenpom.com, a figure which ranked 101st in the nation and near the bottom of the SEC. Some of the issues were caused by the lack of another consistent big to pair next to Moses Kingsley"

What I said last year and again this year, we could have won last year with the team we had if TT had progressed a bit faster. The same is true this year, we can win with this team IF TT progresses and gives MK more help.  The other option is for one of the new small forward types to suddenly become a Quallls.
We were last in the conference in defending the 3 point line, I don't know where TT helps with that any. We simply didn't have anyone who was even an average defender on the perimeter, guys couldn't keep their man in front of them leading to penetration and kick outs for wide open looks or the breaking down of the defense and getting to the rim for easy shots.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on July 24, 2016, 01:55:15 pm
We were last in the conference in defending the 3 point line, I don't know where TT helps with that any. We simply didn't have anyone who was even an average defender on the perimeter, guys couldn't keep their man in front of them leading to penetration and kick outs for wide open looks or the breaking down of the defense and getting to the rim for easy shots.

Because we were providing help on the block which will make for good looks from distance.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 24, 2016, 06:40:09 pm
Because we were providing help on the block which will make for good looks from distance.
I don't agree with this. You condition the players to be able to get back and play defense.

Defense is a major factor in college basketball no matter how you look at it.  ;)

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Captain Morgan on July 24, 2016, 08:12:18 pm
I don't agree with this. You condition the players to be able to get back and play defense.

Defense is a major factor in college basketball no matter how you look at it.  ;)

What do you think about the current roster?

TheRazorback500

The roster could be subject to change if Barford and/or Macon has ideas on testing the NBA waters. I thought I read somewhere that they were on some scouts' radars..
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on July 24, 2016, 10:34:29 pm
The roster could be subject to change if Barford and/or Macon has ideas on testing the NBA waters. I thought I read somewhere that they were on some scouts' radars..

I think they want to be 1 and done but JUCO 1 and done's are rare.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 25, 2016, 09:57:35 am

Let's hope we have that rare breed.  ;D

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 24, 2016, 06:40:09 pm
Help on the block? Don't remember playing a lot of bigs last season that would have demanded a double team on the block. I do however remember us not having a single player that could adaquetly guard away from the basket consistently and not give up dribble penatration resulting in the defense breaking down on rotations, yielding wide open threes or easy shots at the rim.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 25, 2016, 09:57:35 am

If they both end up being JUCO 1 and dones, then that means we just had a really good season. I'll be fine with that as our depth behind them appears to be deep and getting deeper
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rude1 on July 24, 2016, 01:55:15 pm

I'll just say you simply don't understand spacing or coaching...by the opponent.  I said we could have won more last year but we still didn't have the lengh on the perimeter to go far.  This year we do but we still need another inside presence.  If TT becomes that man or if a new forward steps up we could go a lot further this year.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 24, 2016, 09:37:02 pm
What do you think about the current roster?
I think we have depth but these Junior college guys all I hear is scoring not defense. I'm more of the blue chip high school and too AAU players over Junior college guys. There are 351 men's division I basketball programs (In 2015–16, there are 351 schools playing men's basketball in 32 Division I basketball conferences per Google) and who knows how many division II and III. There is likely a reason they had to go to the junior college ranks. Some have been good: Coty Clarke, Sonny Weems for example. There has also been plenty of Jamer Farmer and Montell McDonald types as well. My feeling on these Junior college guys will probably be a mixture of both.

Returning players, I love MK as a senior. I like Dusty Hannah's if he would play defense I would love him. I'm very high on number 50, the transfer from Colorado who's a PF transfer.

My opinion is this will be an NIT team because I likely see the SEC only getting in 3 teams and this group will finish in the 4th to 7th range in the SEC

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Captain Morgan on July 26, 2016, 04:35:55 pm
I think we have depth but these Junior college guys all I hear is scoring not defense. I'm more of the blue chip high school and too AAU players over Junior college guys. There are 351 men's division I basketball programs (In 2015–16, there are 351 schools playing men's basketball in 32 Division I basketball conferences per Google) and who knows how many division II and III. There is likely a reason they had to go to the junior college ranks. Some have been good: Coty Clarke, Sonny Weems for example. There has also been plenty of Jamer Farmer and Montell McDonald types as well. My feeling on these Junior college guys will probably be a mixture of both.

Returning players, I love MK as a senior. I like Dusty Hannah's if he would play defense I would love him. I'm very high on number 50, the transfer from Colorado who's a PF transfer.

My opinion is this will be an NIT team because I likely see the SEC only getting in 3 teams and this group will finish in the 4th to 7th range in the SEC

Agree with this unless...Trey Thompson steps up his game big time.  How much of a chance that happening do you think?

HoopS

I believe you guys may be surprised by Macon. Pretty sure MA will have him playing some good defense.

I believe this is an ncaat team.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on July 26, 2016, 05:50:18 pm
I believe you guys may be surprised by Macon. Pretty sure MA will have him playing some good defense.

I would think that is the floor.  Finally may see the type of team expected when Coach A was hired.  It is why I can't get with you on the 2014-15 being the start.  Good team, good success.  But I don't think it will relate to what may come.  I view this more as a start. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HoopS

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 26, 2016, 06:12:16 pm
I would think that is the floor.  Finally may see the type of team expected when Coach A was hired.  It is why I can't get with you on the 2014-15 being the start.  Good team, good success.  But I don't think it will relate to what may come.  I view this more as a start. 
what I meant by that is that in 10 years when we look back, we will see that season as the first one several that yielded similar results.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on July 26, 2016, 06:14:51 pm
what I meant by that is that in 10 years when we look back, we will see that season as the first one several that yielded similar results.

I could see that as far as the results.  I agree. Should be more the norm than exception.  I think what will excite the older fans is they may start to actually see Hawg Ball forming and the younger ones will learn it.  A clean slate or restart almost. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Captain Morgan on July 26, 2016, 04:35:55 pm
I think we have depth but these Junior college guys all I hear is scoring not defense. 

Haven't heard much about Macon have you? Probably our best perimeter defender.

nwahogfan1

We not only need to get into the NCAAT with this team we need to win 24 games and at least one game in the T or I will think it was a bad year.  I hope most fans do also.

No more excuses.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 27, 2016, 08:47:24 pm
We not only need to get into the NCAAT with this team we need to win 24 games and at least one game in the T or I will think it was a bad year.  I hope most fans do also.

No more excuses.

You forgot to mention adding a 6-8+ 240+ player to the roster. SHM

Swinesong1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 27, 2016, 08:47:24 pm

No more excuses.
Only the ones who've been complaining about EVERYTHING or found negatives in every situation since Anderson was hired.

Captain Morgan

August 05, 2016, 03:30:07 pm #33 Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:52:11 pm by Captain Morgan
Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 28, 2016, 06:46:21 am
Only the ones who've been complaining about EVERYTHING or found negatives in every situation since Anderson was hired.
Having fans that are objective to the program is struggling but wants it to be on the upswing are not negative about every situation.

Guys like hogsanity, Sivad, bigdaddyhawg and Justifiable Hogacide are not wanting to wave the white flag of surrender to mediocre basketball play.

This year will be better than last that we can all agree on. It will interesting to see how the season unfolds

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Captain Morgan on August 05, 2016, 03:30:07 pm
Having fans that are objective to the program is struggling but wants it to be on the upswing are not negative about every situation.

Guys like hogsanity, Sivad, bigdaddyhawg and Justifiable Hogacide are not wanting to wage the white flag of surrender to mediocre basketball play.

This year will be better than last that we can all agree on. It will interesting to see how the season unfolds

There are some who are hiding in the shadows, with knives drawn, waiting for this teams first stumble so they can pounce. Glad they have finally decided to "wage that white flag of surrender" now that there is lots of positive news coming in regarding BB recruiting.

Certain posters seem to have made themselves scarce. Yourself included.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Captain Morgan on August 05, 2016, 03:30:07 pm

Guys like hogsanity, Sivad, bigdaddyhawg and Justifiable Hogacide are not wanting to wage the white flag of surrender to mediocre basketball play.

Don't want to keep rehashing but, the same people have been complaining since season one.  Even tho there was an upward tick every year leading up to the tourney season, they still complained.  They complained throughout the 2014-15 season too!  Last year was the ammunition they needed to complain even more.  That's not being objective.  If you and others are being objective, why only post negative or stay away until something negative (perceived) happens?

hawgmasta

If Moses Kingsley is dominant, I'm talking 17/10/2.8 block/game then I have to think the talent coming in has to get us at least twenty wins.

hogwood

Quote from: hawgmasta on August 07, 2016, 10:45:49 am
If Moses Kingsley is dominant, I'm talking 17/10/2.8 block/game then I have to think the talent coming in has to get us at least twenty wins.

Right now no one outside of Hognation is even thinking of us making the tourney. If we can match the 14-15 season in some ways (not identical) this team will have been a success IMO. If we exceed 14-15 results we will be overachieving, which is entirely possible. This team looks better on paper than the 14-15 team, but we still don't know what they'll look like on the court. Hard to say with 8 new pieces. I think it will be a good year for fans either way, and that the momentum for this program will be aided greatly.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogwood on August 07, 2016, 11:13:15 am
Right now no one outside of Hognation is even thinking of us making the tourney. If we can match the 14-15 season in some ways (not identical) this team will have been a success IMO. If we exceed 14-15 results we will be overachieving, which is entirely possible. This team looks better on paper than the 14-15 team, but we still don't know what they'll look like on the court. Hard to say with 8 new pieces. I think it will be a good year for fans either way, and that the momentum for this program will be aided greatly.

HS

AlmaHog2011

Very well could be real. No rose colored glasses it's on the horizon. Hog basketball is on it's way back.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HoopS on July 26, 2016, 05:50:18 pm

It is and might be even better. A win or two in the NCAA.