Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mel Kiper's - top 5 coaches in college football...

Started by Baggerscott, December 31, 2011, 09:17:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Baggerscott

1. Saban
2. Meyers
3. Miles
4. Chip Kelly
5/6 Peterson-BSU / Patterson-TCU

The premis was which coaches would you start a college football program with, $$ no object, coaches would not refuse the job.

I wasn't expecting CBP the be on the list... He's not a media darling like most on the list.

The show also had an interview with Gus... Told them he wanted to make asu the BSu of the south.  Do that mean play 1 tough game a year and hope to coast to a bcs game? Or does it mean lose winnable games late in the year and blow your bcs chances?

Jackrabbit Hog

No, Coach Petrino is not going to make any espn list, and I'm just fine with that.  I prefer having him fly under the national radar and I think he likes it that way too.  The more things happen to make him feel comfortable and at home in Fayetteville, the better.

P.S.  Regardless of what you think about Boise - and I'm basically neutral on them - Peterson is a heckuva coach.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pulled(PP)pork

agreed, check back in a few yrs after we win our NC

PP

Baggerscott

They just added their "just missed" coaches...

Baylor coach
KSU coach
Beamer
Spurier
Hoke
Stoops

jamie72921

Quote from: Baggerscott on December 31, 2011, 09:17:42 am
1. Saban
2. Meyers
3. Miles
4. Chip Kelly

The premis was which coaches would you start a college football program with, $$ no object, coaches would not refuse the job.

I wasn't expecting CBP the be on the list... He's not a media darling like most on the list.

The show also had an interview with Gus... Told them he wanted to make asu the BSu of the south.  Do that mean play 1 tough game a year and hope to coast to a bcs game? Or does it mean lose winnable games late in the year and blow your bcs chances?

I have been saying for a couple of seasons now that both TCU and Boise are "system" schools and the system is their schedules.

It is blatantly obvious at Boise where THREE DIFFERENT head coaches have put up gawdy numbers now with the system of playing one "tough" opponent very early in the season, then playing a bunch of rent a win/homecoming game type programs the rest of the way, and winning a lack luster bowl game most of the time.

TCU has followed the same script for the most part since not being able to cut in Conference USA and fleeing for an even less competitive situation. Then when you win against an overrated OU or Wisconsin team once a decade, the sheeple start acting like you have really done something.

Think of it this way, you just hired a new coach and at his last job he let Texas Tech hang 70 on him, couldn't get bowl eligible as a member of Conference USA, and has lost to Baylor, SMU (multiple times in the last 6 seasons), BYU, Air Force, and Wyoming over the last 5 seasons while supposedly having superior talent than the programs on his schedule. Your new coach is..............Gary Patterson! Excited yet?

Can anyone remember the names of Boise's two previous coaches, who prior to Petersen averaged a little over 11 wins per season themselves? They moved on to "better" jobs and both have since been fired. The last coach to come from Boise and do "well" was Houston Nutt, fwiw. Petersen is far from a sure thing and would actually have to buck a trend to be successful at his next job.

Chip Kelly?! If memory serves, he has simply taken over for Belotti in a situation where the PAC 12 has actually sucked worse than normal with a down USC program and no instate rival to speak of. Kelly has maintained, but as Auburn, LSU, and USC have shown during Oregon's last 14 games, Oregon has by no means climbed into the top tier of college football's elite.

Les Miles did well at OSU, considering how bad they stunk when he got there. But Gundy has done even better there while Miles simply took over a program that already had a BCS championship under its belt and cupboard stocked full of NFL talent the day he interviewed for the job at LSU.

So this list consists of Saban, a proven commodity as a program builder at both Mich St. and LSU. Meyer, who built Utah and rescued Florida from Zook.

Then you go to Miles, who while he did lay a foundation at OSU, the coach that followed him there, Gundy, has done even more.

Chip Kelly didn't build anything at Oregon, he inherited a program and has maintained as his conference crumbled around him.

Francionne built TCU, not Gary Patterson. Patterson has enjoyed the fruits of system scheduling and fleeing any form of competition. I can't wait for TCU to begin their Big Minus dominance over OU and Texas (sarcasm).

Petersen, built nothing at Boise. He has simply maintained what TWO guys before him put in place.

All in all, this is a good list for the Sheeple among us, but it is a shame to see guys who have actually BUILT successful programs like Saban and Meyer lumped in with the remainder of that list.
Bless your heart

Pulled(PP)pork

QuoteTHREE DIFFERENT head coaches

funny how NumbNutt couldn't do that at Boise St., or is it ironic??

PP

texas tush hog

Hiring and keeping Willy probably did not do Petrino any favors.

ThunderHog

Petrino is not an easy guy for the media to like....doesn't mean he is not a good coach.  We live in a media driven world.

Bigdaddyhogfan

ChicoHog

I agree with everything you say Jamie except for a couple minor points.  Peterson has improved BSU from the Koetter and hawkins days but he definitely had it set up for him.  Same with Patterson/Franchione at TCU.  Meyer also had it set up for him at UF and as soon as Mullen, Strong and Tebow left they were mediocre and he did not leave Muschamp much of anything to work with.  Saban to me is the only "no-brainer" on this list and is by far the best coach in football. I would put Petrino right behind him however. 

3kgthog

Every BSU coach that won a lot of games and took another job has been proven to be a fraud. It's the schedule that makes Peterson good.

jamie72921

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 31, 2011, 10:13:16 am
I agree with everything you say Jamie except for a couple minor points.  Peterson has improved BSU from the Koetter and hawkins days but he definitely had it set up for him.  Same with Patterson/Franchione at TCU.  Meyer also had it set up for him at UF and as soon as Mullen, Strong and Tebow left they were mediocre and he did not leave Muschamp much of anything to work with.  Saban to me is the only "no-brainer" on this list and is by far the best coach in football. I would put Petrino right behind him however. 

If not for what Meyer did while at Utah, I wouldn't believe that he should be on the list either.

What Petrino has done here is remarkable. The cupboard was bare here and we are in a time where the SEC is on a powerstroke to boot.
Bless your heart

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ThunderHog on December 31, 2011, 10:11:06 am
Petrino is not an easy guy for the media to like....doesn't mean he is not a good coach.  We live in a media driven world.

You know, a lot of people say that but honestly, I've never seen a single instance since BP joined the Hogs that he has been anything less than friendly and ameniable to the Press either locally or nationally (with the exception of the female reporter with the Florida hat). Personally, I think he is really good with the Press and the public at large.
Go Hogs Go!

PHill94

X's and O's wise, it doesn't get better than BP. It just doesn''t happen. Miles wouldn't be in top 50  of that list. As far as head coaching though, Miles is great. Great supporting cast and fun to play for.

jamie72921

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 31, 2011, 10:21:38 am
You know, a lot of people say that but honestly, I've never seen a single instance since BP joined the Hogs that he has been anything less than friendly and ameniable to the Press either locally or nationally (with the exception of the female reporter with the Florida hat). Personally, I think he is really good with the Press and the public at large.

Florida hat girl getting fired didn't play well in the national media. Not his fault, IMO, but it did still happen as a result of something he did.

I know she got let go for a combination of things and not just that incident, but Petrino did play a part.
Bless your heart

Albert Einswine

Koetter and Hawkins proved to be pretty craptastic once they landed at programs where they faced some competition.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

GolfnHog

Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ChicoHog

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 31, 2011, 10:19:31 am
If not for what Meyer did while at Utah, I wouldn't believe that he should be on the list either.

What Petrino has done here is remarkable. The cupboard was bare here and we are in a time where the SEC is on a powerstroke to boot.
McBride left Meyer a lot of talent at Utah and he had Alex Smith, a great QB for his run spread system.

jamie72921

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 31, 2011, 10:30:19 am
McBride left Meyer a lot of talent at Utah and he had Alex Smith, a great QB for his run spread system.

Good point.
Bless your heart

RAZORBACKER60

Saban-the best why he understands everything is a process.
Miles-well he wins is one hell of a recruiter and his players love him.
Petrino-best offensive coach in game.
Patterson-can evaluate better then most and can flat out gameplan and is a great gameday coach.
Beamer-same as Patterson only difference he has done it 20 plus years.
Briles-great coach maybe neck and neck with petrino give this guy a big program and order some rings! Only problem don't think he is a big program type of coach.
Snyder-250 wins before he got KSU in what 60 years of football and now he is approaching 200 wins since 1989 with a three year layoff yes this guy can coach and he wins the big games as well some don't see bob stoops.
Fisher-he is a complete coach at a great potential program.

Patterson-guy can evaluate better then most and can gameday coach.
Bemmer-same as Patterson but has done it at the same place for what 20 plus years.

Hoggish1

An exceptional coach can do that at Boise State but not a ASU.  Is Gus an exceptional coach?

Peterson is at a special place with a great college president in an oasis of a town in a region starved for college football, close enough to California, to do what he's done.

Jonesboro is not Boise, ID LMAO

Pistol Pete

1. Saban
2. Meyers
3. Miles
4. Chip Kelly

The problem with this list is that the top 3 on the list are/were in the most talent-rich states. It still takes some decent coaching to win with lots of talent, but it takes a lot better coaching to win in states with small talent-pools.

ThunderHog

You are right about Boise.  My wife and I visited one of her cousins there for a couple of days. Not only is it NOT anything like Jonesboro, there is no place in Arkansas like it.

It is a city larger than Little Rock and a whole lot safer, sitting at the foot of the Rockies....beautiful.

mindtoxicity

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 31, 2011, 10:16:17 am
Every BSU coach that won a lot of games and took another job has been proven to be a fraud. It's the schedule that makes Peterson good.

This

Hog in MO

The issue I have with this list is that the top 2 have never built a program from the bottom up. Saban made his bones at a Big 10 school and 2 SEC schools while Lester underachieved at OK State then piggy backed onto Saban's work at LSU. I'm not questioning their credentials as coaches, but their records don't jive with the purpose of the list.  If you want a coach to build something from nothing then the top name on that list should be Bill Snyder.

popcornhog

1. Saban
2. Meyers
3. Miles
4. Chip Kelly

Petrino will make those lists once hebeins a bcs bowl , an conference title, or gets to the NC at Arkansas.

There's no doubt that he's a great coach, but it takes more tangible accomplishments and bench marks to make those types of lists.

Why wasn't Urban Myer on the list?
WPS

kaiserhog

Bobby did have to start from scratch. According to ESPN, Arkansas is not a place you are supposed to win especially in the SEC.  When we do our coach gets no credit.  Talk about intellectual dishonesty.  What tools.

Pistol Pete

There's no sense crying about Petrino not being on Kiper's list...

Baggerscott

Quote from: popcornhog on December 31, 2011, 12:50:57 pm
Petrino will make those lists once hebeins a bcs bowl , an conference title, or gets to the NC at Arkansas.

There's no doubt that he's a great coach, but it takes more tangible accomplishments and bench marks to make those types of lists.

That's my fault... Urban is #2

Hogz87

Quote from: Baggerscott on December 31, 2011, 09:59:15 am
They just added their "just missed" coaches...

Baylor coach
KSU coach
Beamer
Spurier
Hoke
Stoops

Is there a link to this somewhere?

Surprised no one has commented on this yet.  This basically means that "list" doesn't consider Petrino a top 10 coach which I think is BS.  I can live with him not being in a top five but not being in a top 10 is pushing it in my very biased opinion.  Spurrier an Hoke over Petrino right now?  Petrino has owned Steve Spurrier since coming to Arkansas and Hoke had one good year at SDSU and one god year at Michigan.  I will give Hoke credit to Hoke for turning SDSU into a decent program when they were one of the 5-10 worst in the nation.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: popcornhog on December 31, 2011, 12:50:57 pm

we were in a bcs bowl last year, maybe  you mean "win" a bcs bowl

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hog in MO on December 31, 2011, 12:43:08 pm
The issue I have with this list is that the top 2 have never built a program from the bottom up. Saban made his bones at a Big 10 school and 2 SEC schools while Lester underachieved at OK State then piggy backed onto Saban's work at LSU. I'm not questioning their credentials as coaches, but their records don't jive with the purpose of the list.  If you want a coach to build something from nothing then the top name on that list should be Bill Snyder.
unfortunately, you have to give Miles credit, he has maintain what Saban built....that ain't easy.

PP

Baggerscott

Quote from: Hogz87 on December 31, 2011, 12:58:09 pm
Is there a link to this somewhere?

Surprised no one has commented on this yet.  This basically means that "list" doesn't consider Petrino a top 10 coach which I think is BS.  I can live with him not being in a top five but not being in a top 10 is pushing it in my very biased opinion.  Spurrier an Hoke over Petrino right now?  Petrino has owned Steve Spurrier since coming to Arkansas and Hoke had one good year at SDSU and one god year at Michigan.  I will give Hoke credit to Hoke for turning SDSU into a decent program when they were one of the 5-10 worst in the nation.

There's no link... It was espn radio the Dari and Mel show this morning.

Pigdiana Jones

I could care less what Kiper and his retard buddy Mcgay think. They are both tools who have no idea what they are doing.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

g.lynn

From a guy with little hair, I don't listen to a word Kiper says.  I just watch his hair.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

(notOM)Rebel123

The list lost all credibility when you mentioned Mel Kiper. Suggested New Year's Resolution...stop listening to talking heads like Kiper and McShay. You'll feel better, food tastes better, the air is cleaner.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Danny J

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 31, 2011, 10:16:17 am
Correct and also very smart non-conference scheduling and knowing how to prepare for 2 big games a year. This year they lost one of those games.

Would kiper really choose peterson over CBP if he were the AD of a school? Not a chance.
Would kiper really take gabbert over mallett if he were a NFL GM/coach?

Kiper is nothing more than a bought and paid for buffoon. Don't get me started on todd mcshameless.

PurpRoll

1. Saban
2. Meyers
3. Miles
4. Chip Kelly

That list isn't authentic without Bill Snyder included.

popcornhog

Quote from: Pulledpork on December 31, 2011, 01:00:23 pm
we were in a bcs bowl last year, maybe  you mean "win" a bcs bowl

PP

I meant to type "he wins," my phone auto corrected it when I didn't hit the space bar I think.
WPS

OTTER

I don't really care about these lists or the fact that our program and coach don't get the respect that is deserved by people like Mel.  All that will take care of itself as the wins keep rolling in.  The tone is set, the program is continuing to build and anyone with half a brain can see the difference between now and four years ago, when the program was in shambles(for reference, see Ole Miss today)
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ThunderHog on December 31, 2011, 11:46:39 am
You are right about Boise.  My wife and I visited one of her cousins there for a couple of days. Not only is it NOT anything like Jonesboro, there is no place in Arkansas like it.

It is a city larger than Little Rock and a whole lot safer, sitting at the foot of the Rockies....beautiful.

It is pristine.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Smithian

jry04

Quote from: popcornhog on December 31, 2011, 04:46:14 pm
I meant to type "he wins," my phone auto corrected it when I didn't hit the space bar I think.
His Orange bowl win at Louisville doesn't count?

jamie72921

Quote from: PurpRoll on December 31, 2011, 04:25:23 pm
That list isn't authentic without Bill Snyder included.

No kidding!

Anyone that can win at that football trash heap in Manhattan, Kansas can build a program anywhere.
Bless your heart

PurpRoll

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 31, 2011, 05:53:38 pm
No kidding!

Anyone that can win at that football trash heap in Manhattan, Kansas can build a program anywhere.

Great point because when Snyder arrived in 1989 most High School facilities were better than Kansas State's.  You know your K-State history Jamie!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PurpRoll on January 01, 2012, 12:53:19 pm
Great point because when Snyder arrived in 1989 most High School facilities were better than Kansas State's.  You know your K-State history Jamie!!

The way Snyder turned that sewer system into a consistent winner out of the clear blue showed that he was an elite coach, but always made me question just how much cheating was going on.

I mean, come on man!  That from out of nowhere?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 31, 2011, 10:24:05 am
Florida hat girl getting fired didn't play well in the national media. Not his fault, IMO, but it did still happen as a result of something he did.

I know she got let go for a combination of things and not just that incident, but Petrino did play a part.

But you know....that was a pure lack of professionalism on her part, and if you did anything similar to that in the business world you'd deserve to get canned too.  Innocent or not...there are some things in the working world that you just don't get a second chance for.  That was a good illustration of one.  CBP didn't fire her...that was completely on her employer. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

IronHog

Quote from: ThunderHog on December 31, 2011, 11:46:39 am

Which is fine if you are wanting to build a team full of undersized white boys......like BS....

ASU is on the edge of the delta/SEC country....... GM is going to go after the kids that can't get in the SEC and those overlooked by the high D1 schools that might be late bloomers (half the Arkansas top 15 most years)....... there is a reason that ASU has put a good number of players in the NFL  per dollar over the past decade.......

Jonesboro might not be a great location for the yuppies and salesmen that post on this board......but it ain't a horrible place for a college football program.  MUCH better than NWA IMO.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: IronHog on January 01, 2012, 01:25:16 pm
MUCH better than NWA IMO.

Do you really hate NWA or is this just your comedy routine?  Serious...