Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama players gives Kelley his props

Started by snoot hoggy hog, October 17, 2017, 06:23:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

I'd love to be OC and designing plays with CK.

Very unique, and you could do things never done before. You think of a great RPO QB as being an elusive runner, but CK is a uber-power runner.

single back sets with Hayden, you could direct snap to Chase and have CK lead block as a 6th offensive lineman.

You could use the other 10 players to seal the DL and LB's off CK on bootlegs, and force the DBs to tackle CK on the edge, they'd get punch drunk after while. then you throw deep on them.

I'd make the D fear that boot leg or CK end around, then pitch it to TJ or Chase in the opposite direction.

tons of stuff you could do D's wouldn't be ready for, and would have to over commit to stop.

Having a QB a DB can't tackle on his own without risking injury to himself, we ought to be able to exploit that like crazy.

I'd use CK like a battering ram, blocking and running, just long enough to spark the rest of the offense and get it going, then he doesn't have to be a battering ram the whole game.

From the quotes in that article, I sense the Bama players were thankful we didn't do something like that against them.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

"That's the biggest quarterback that I've seen in my life," said linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton. "One time I was holding on to him and I'm like geez, he's still standing up? A guy like that, you just need 11 hats to the ball just to get him down and gang tackle him."

That's gold right there
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pork Ranger

I think CK would do really well in a read option offense. Make TJ your full time motion man and let Whaley and Hayden be your 1-2 punch from the backfield..

A man can dream

Boarcephus

"With him being a young quarterback, we didn't just want to stand there and let him pick out people and try to play coverage all the time," Saban said.

This is how a smart defensive coach plays against a young qb.  Compare that to how our coaches generally play against new qb's. This is only one of the reasons why they're who they are and why we're who we are.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

threeNout

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 17, 2017, 07:10:13 am
I think CK would do really well in a read option offense. Make TJ your full time motion man and let Whaley and Hayden be your 1-2 punch from the backfield..

A man can dream

Yea, I can see that read option play with Whaley, where CK puts it in his gut and they take the first few steps towards the line together, than break apart at slightly different angles.

read option, with emphasis on power, that'd be hard to stop.

then the read option with Chase or TJ would be completely different to defend.

run it at an uptempo, we could run defenses into the ground with it.

31to6

Quote from: threeNout on October 17, 2017, 07:22:02 am
Yea, I can see that read option play with Whaley, where CK puts it in his gut and they take the first few steps towards the line together, than break apart at slightly different angles.

read option, with emphasis on power, that'd be hard to stop.
Basically like that kid that K-State had in the Liberty bowl (I think?). Not a speedster, but hard to take down.

CK has a much, much better arm tho. I'd say he's going to make his living throwing the ball--running will be when the pocket breaks down or a *few* snaps a game.

hawgon

I almost made a thread about this BUT WE MUST FIRE BIelema this year and get someone in here who can recruit a few more pieces and run a spread because by year three or four, CK could be our Cam Newton.  He can run well enough that he could get that four or five every single time he runs and make him nearly impossible to stop.  That was what made Cam so good.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 07:21:03 am
"With him being a young quarterback, we didn't just want to stand there and let him pick out people and try to play coverage all the time," Saban said.

This is how a smart defensive coach plays against a young qb.  Compare that to how our coaches generally play against new qb's. This is only one of the reasons why they're who they are and why we're who we are.   

This is what a coach with a defense like Bama's can do. Now put our step slow and often undersized players in that and see what happens.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 08:08:10 am
I almost made a thread about this BUT WE MUST FIRE BIelema this year and get someone in here who can recruit a few more pieces and run a spread because by year three or four, CK could be our Cam Newton.  He can run well enough that he could get that four or five every single time he runs and make him nearly impossible to stop.  That was what made Cam so good.

Again, I would encourage you to pump the brakes on the cam newton comparison. Newton was maybe the best college football player of the past decade or 2.

hogsanity

For all of you now pining away for the read option, have you seen the line block? And now you want to use Kelly as a battering ram, smart move, real smart. Some of you obviously are prime examples of what head trauma from football can do to a person.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

younghog

Not really props..

Just amazed at how big he was.. and having to tackle that.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Hoggish1

Quote from: threeNout on October 17, 2017, 06:56:08 am
I'd love to be OC and designing plays with CK.

Very unique, and you could do things never done before. You think of a great RPO QB as being an elusive runner, but CK is a uber-power runner.

single back sets with Hayden, you could direct snap to Chase and have CK lead block as a 6th offensive lineman.

You could use the other 10 players to seal the DL and LB's off CK on bootlegs, and force the DBs to tackle CK on the edge, they'd get punch drunk after while. then you throw deep on them.

I'd make the D fear that boot leg or CK end around, then pitch it to TJ or Chase in the opposite direction.

tons of stuff you could do D's wouldn't be ready for, and would have to over commit to stop.

Having a QB a DB can't tackle on his own without risking injury to himself, we ought to be able to exploit that like crazy.

I'd use CK like a battering ram, blocking and running, just long enough to spark the rest of the offense and get it going, then he doesn't have to be a battering ram the whole game.

From the quotes in that article, I sense the Bama players were thankful we didn't do something like that against them.

How about step up in the pocket and see over the rush?  Wouldn't that be improvement enough?

Hoggish1

Quote from: 31to6 on October 17, 2017, 08:03:53 am
Basically like that kid that K-State had in the Liberty bowl (I think?). Not a speedster, but hard to take down.

CK has a much, much better arm tho. I'd say he's going to make his living throwing the ball--running will be when the pocket breaks down or a *few* snaps a game.

Correct.

But Hogville wants him to be a read option guy.  Classic stupidity that this board is well known for.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 08:16:39 am
This is what a coach with a defense like Bama's can do. Now put our step slow and often undersized players in that and see what happens.

Who is "undersized"?  Who is "slow"? 

jgphillips3

That's high praise.  Cole is going to be an absolute nightmare for other teams in the future when we have even a semi-competent coach.  That game right there was the worst it will ever be for him and when Bama's players are thinking "dang...I've got to tackle him?"...you've got something.  Young Ben Roethlisberger is probably the most apt comparison.  He does not need to run the read option though; too many chances for someone to injure him.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 08:08:10 am

?

Cam Newton was fast.  CK is not.  I'm not saying CK can't move to get out of trouble, but he is no CN.  He's a bigger Ben Rothlesberger.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 17, 2017, 08:33:13 am
Correct.

But Hogville wants him to be a read option guy.  Classic stupidity that this board is well known for.

This board's lusting after the read option & or the spread is just typical though. They see a team run it, like Clemson who just so happened to have a QB that is starting in the NFL as a rookie, beat Bama with him and a bunch of other really excellent players and they think it would work here. Yet they will not acknowledge the talent difference. Case in point, they do not think out D is slow or undersized.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 17, 2017, 08:37:05 am
?

Cam Newton was fast.  CK is not.  I'm not saying CK can't move to get out of trouble, but he is no CN.  He's a bigger Ben Rothlesberger.

Cam Newton also had an excellent o-line, a power back, and a star WR, Oh and the 2010 Auburn D was not terrible either.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on October 17, 2017, 08:33:25 am
Who is "undersized"?  Who is "slow"? 

If I name them would it be considered player bashing?

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 08:38:49 am
This board's lusting after the read option & or the spread is just typical though. They see a team run it, like Clemson who just so happened to have a QB that is starting in the NFL as a rookie, beat Bama with him and a bunch of other really excellent players and they think it would work here. Yet they will not acknowledge the talent difference. Case in point, they do not think out D is slow or undersized.

Exactly.  Cole is a very good runner, but he isn't the right kind of runner.  He's a designed run/broken field/bulldozer type, not a read option guy.

hawgon

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 17, 2017, 08:37:05 am
?

It isn't about breaking big gains.  It is about a guy who can get three or four in third and three or four dang near every single time.

hogsanity

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 17, 2017, 08:41:24 am
Exactly.  Cole is a very good runner, but he isn't the right kind of runner.  He's a designed run/broken field/bulldozer type, not a read option guy.

Also like how last week everyone kept praising Wash St and talking about how that was what we need here. The Cal stomps them under the field so this week not as much as a whisper about Wash St.

threeNout

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 08:45:07 am
  It is about a guy who can get three or four in third and three or four dang near every single time.

exactly, it'll work against everybody until they really commit to stop it. then you make them pay.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 08:16:39 am

We've seen what happens when they don't.  We can put pressure on the qb.  Might not be able to do it with 4 like bama can (few teams can)  but we can bring pressure.  At least don't make it easy on them like we did vs A&M or the others. 

Makes me long for the days of Joe Lee Dunn and Keith Burns. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 11:03:58 am
We've seen what happens when they don't.  We can put pressure on the qb.  Might not be able to do it with 4 like bama can (few teams can)  but we can bring pressure.  At least don't make it easy on them like we did vs A&M or the others. 

Makes me long for the days of Joe Lee Dunn and Keith Burns. 

Dunn and Burns had safeties that could cover the back end or could blitz.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 01:02:27 pm
Dunn and Burns had safeties that could cover the back end or could blitz.

I'd take my chances with who we have because what we're doing isn't working but, if there will be a new staff next year as many think, we'll see how they play it. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 01:57:50 pm
I'd take my chances with who we have because what we're doing isn't working but, if there will be a new staff next year as many think, we'll see how they play it. 

Oh it wold not bother me to see more blitzing, I am just saying the two dc;s you mentioned had guys in the back better than what Rhodes has to work with. Also, the passing game was not what it is now either.

Oklahawg

How about we use his noteworthy arm and scrambling prowess to use the pass to set up the run? Build this darn backwards. Then, he becomes a weapon not a target. Even 6-7 x 270 gets dinged up.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 02:14:23 pm
Oh it wold not bother me to see more blitzing, I am just saying the two dc;s you mentioned had guys in the back better than what Rhodes has to work with. Also, the passing game was not what it is now either.

It's more of a mindset in my opinion.  Those two probably would have played the same style regardless of who was back there.  That's the image many of us have of our Razorbacks, maybe a little smaller, little slower but we get after folks.  The old size of the fight in the dog stuff.  This coaching in place now doesn't have that mentality

Tusks

The offense has all the making of a salty spread team.  Lots of playmakers for that type of system.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

threeNout

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 17, 2017, 03:07:35 pm
How about we use his noteworthy arm and scrambling prowess to use the pass to set up the run? Build this darn backwards. Then, he becomes a weapon not a target.

That'd work too, if our WRs can relax, catch the ball and make plays.

It just seems like letting CK put the team on his back for a couple of first downs would help the above happen quicker, letting CK get a positive jibe going, then everyone else pick up on it.

A strong parallel to Matt Jones, same thing happened with him, he'd make a great play and it'd pick everyone up and get them going.

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 17, 2017, 03:07:35 pmEven 6-7 x 270 gets dinged up.

sure, you'd have to be smart about it, An O-lineman takes 50+ violent hits a game, I think CK could sustain 5 without it being an issue at all, especially when he's delivering on guys much smaller.

Him not going down in the pocket and getting gang tackled is more of a risk IMO, then him running a sweep and crushing a DB.

threeNout

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 17, 2017, 08:33:13 am

But Hogville wants him to be a read option guy. 

If it's a reliable threat, I'd want it in the tool box, absolutely, because it costs nothing but a bit of practice and it can put great stress on a defense.

I'm more than happy to see us win running the pro style stuff we got, when we can protect and catch.

I think having a curve ball in the tool box can help that happen sooner.

IronHog

Sky is the limit for CK......as a pocket passer than can run occasionally when needed.

Kid gets his football IQ and footwork up to speed and he can be at top draft choice.  NFL arm for sure.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HoggieStyle

He was under a ton of duress,  but I love watching the kid manage the pocket (when the O-line can provide some semblance of one). He just glides away from pressure like he feels it and doesn't have to see it.

Also, he can run. He's not Matt Jones, but he's not Ryan Mallet, either (although he may have as good an arm). His upside is ridiculously huge.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: younghog on October 17, 2017, 08:19:44 am
Not really props..

Just amazed at how big he was.. and having to tackle that.

GO HOGS
what? Did you even read it?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

threeNout

the impression I got from the article was the Bama defenders felt proud of themselves for being ABLE to eventually tackle him, dang odd when you think about it.  Enos under utilizing CK's running ability let them off the hook IMO.

although the first called QB draw would have been a big play had CK ran it right, telegraphed it bad.