Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Style is Irrelevant to Me

Started by WilsonHog, January 15, 2017, 04:31:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 15, 2017, 04:31:11 pm
Makes me no difference if we run-and-gun or walk it up, whether the first man across half court launches it or whether we run Dean Smith's four corners for the first 20 seconds of the possession.

So is who our coach is, or what his race is. I could not care less whether our coach is black or white; my life is made no more the richer either way.

I don't care whether our coach is part of our program's history, or whether he would have to Google "Arkansas" to find out where in the hell the state is.

What I do care about is making the NCAA Tournament. Final Fours, Sweet Sixteens? No, just make the friggin' Tournament. Be one of the 68, instead of me having to ignore the selection show and pretend to be excited about the damn NIT.

Just make the NCAA Tournament. It ought not be too much to ask.

This. We should be in easily with Florida and U.K. Every single year.

Not too much to ask.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 16, 2017, 08:34:36 am
Can we be realistic?

Stony Brook
Florida Gulf Coast
Weber State
UNC Asheville
Hawaii
UNC Wilmington
Middle Tennessee
Green Bay
Yale
Iona
Buffalo
Hampton
Fresno State
Fairleigh Dickinson
Austin Peay
Holy Cross
Chattanooga
Stephen F. Austin
Southern
South Dakota State
UALR
Cal State Bakersfield

These are teams and programs that even if they have made the NCAA Tournament since Arkansas last made it have not accomplished what Arkansas has accomplished, and you can't say they are one of the top 68 programs or even top 68 teams from last year.  The standard is higher than what you're making it out to be.  It should be fair to say that Mike is a top 25 paid coach so we should be in the 44 at least.  We are not getting what we are paying for.

Every conference get a team in the tournament. This doesnt say anything about Mike Anderson

tophawg19

it does when he only makes the tournament 20 % of the time
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogsanity

many of those saying it is not about style - now - were the very ones complaining about how boring Heath's style was, and how we needed to play an exciting brand of ball because that is what hog fans are used to seeing.

What I want is a coach willing to adapt what he does to the situation. If a team has good guards, for goodness sake, do not press them or trap 70 ft from the basket. If the refs are calling every little touch, it would be prudent to tell your players to back off and quit reaching & slapping.

There are teas that win a lot of games walking it up and playing solid zone defense. There are teams winning games playing fast and aggressive.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 16, 2017, 08:34:36 am
Can we be realistic?

Stony Brook
Florida Gulf Coast
Weber State
UNC Asheville
Hawaii
UNC Wilmington
Middle Tennessee
Green Bay
Yale
Iona
Buffalo
Hampton
Fresno State
Fairleigh Dickinson
Austin Peay
Holy Cross
Chattanooga
Stephen F. Austin
Southern
South Dakota State
UALR
Cal State Bakersfield

These are teams and programs that even if they have made the NCAA Tournament since Arkansas last made it have not accomplished what Arkansas has accomplished, and you can't say they are one of the top 68 programs or even top 68 teams from last year.  The standard is higher than what you're making it out to be.  It should be fair to say that Mike is a top 25 paid coach so we should be in the 44 at least.  We are not getting what we are paying for.
Yes, I figured even Hogville would understand that there's only 36 at large bids. Evidently not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 16, 2017, 08:56:47 am
Every conference get a team in the tournament. This doesnt say anything about Mike Anderson

It says he can't get his team in, even playing in the pathetic SEC. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 16, 2017, 09:27:12 am
It says he can't get his team in, even playing in the pathetic SEC. 
SEC is a conference that only gets 3 teams in the field. Kentucky and Florida are a given. South Carolina, TAMU, MSU, Bama and Arkansas are going for that final spot. Watch the Atlantic Ten get as many bids as the awful SEC basketball. B1G fans call us SECupcakes in football. But in college hoops it's really 2 schools and a bunch of SECupcakes

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 17, 2017, 08:31:42 am
SEC is a conference that only gets 3 teams in the field. Kentucky and Florida are a given. South Carolina, TAMU, MSU, Bama and Arkansas are going for that final spot. Watch the Atlantic Ten get as many bids as the awful SEC basketball. B1G fans call us SECupcakes in football. But in college hoops it's really 2 schools and a bunch of SECupcakes

I think they could get 4 IF SC and the Hogs both end up with 6 or fewer league losses.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 08:33:10 am
I think they could get 4 IF SC and the Hogs both end up with 6 or fewer league losses.

You banking on Arkansas with already 3 losses to lose only 3 more games with this style and this coach? What if Hogs lose in Stillwater?

The_Iceman

Bill Self since the Stan Heath hire (2002):
- One NCAA National Championship
- One NCAA Runner-Up
- Four Elite 8's
- Two Sweet 16's

Dana Altman since John Pelphrey hire (2007):
- One Elite 8
- One Sweet 16
- Two 2nd Round appearances
- Currently 16-2 (5-0 in Pac 12)
- Ranked #10 in the Country

Don't think anyone would have complained with the style if we would have made the right hire in 2002, or got Altman to stay in 2007.

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 17, 2017, 08:35:51 am
You banking on Arkansas with already 3 losses to lose only 3 more games with this style and this coach? What if Hogs lose in Stillwater?

I am not banking on, I just see that as the only likely way the sec could get 4 teams in. It is more likely that the Hogs game at SC is a play in game, with the loser making nit plans.

Biggus Piggus

Style means everything to me. As in the style of defense Mike Anderson is teaching his teams to play. It is BROKEN. His forwards foul like crazy because of the idiotic switching man-to-man stupidity. He seems to be completely oblivious to the FACT that fouls are killing the defense when it isn't outright failing, which it does frequently, when fouls don't ensure failed possessions.

Poor pressure - poor rebounding - poor perimeter defense that depends on opponents missing open shots. It is broken. MA's approach to coaching big men gimps their game and destroys the Hogs' defense.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 17, 2017, 08:51:04 am
Style means everything to me. As in the style of defense Mike Anderson is teaching his teams to play. It is BROKEN. His forwards foul like crazy because of the idiotic switching man-to-man stupidity. He seems to be completely oblivious to the FACT that fouls are killing the defense when it isn't outright failing, which it does frequently, when fouls don't ensure failed possessions.

Poor pressure - poor rebounding - poor perimeter defense that depends on opponents missing open shots. It is broken. MA's approach to coaching big men gimps their game and destroys the Hogs' defense.

which goes back to what some have been saying for years: Mike is either incapable or unwilling to change, and either reason is killing the team.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 08:55:45 am
which goes back to what some have been saying for years: Mike is either incapable or unwilling to change, and either reason is killing the team.

Mike has failed to accept that he is an offensive coach, not a defensive coach. If he would just cut out a few things he does defense that cause the excessive fouling, he would actually get the tempo he wants.

The fouling is what stops the plays and allows teams to rest and recover. If we cut down on the fouling, we could wear teams down with our tempo. Can't do that when the clock is stopping for 25 fouls a game.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

riccoar

I wouldn't say I'm a fire Anderson guy.  He definitely has talent coming and I'd say let's see if he can parlay that into the round of 64.

Now what I AM is a fundamentals guy.  How you have D1 guys standing around like 5 year olds in a pee wee league who have no **** concept of what blocking out is when a shot goes up, I'll never wrap my mind around that.  And let's not even start on Free Throws.  Or as our opponents call them, their chance to catch up.

The_Iceman

January 17, 2017, 10:19:26 am #66 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:52:46 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: riccoar on January 17, 2017, 10:04:30 am
I wouldn't say I'm a fire Anderson guy.  He definitely has talent coming and I'd say let's see if he can parlay that into the round of 64.

Now what I AM is a fundamentals guy.  How you have D1 guys standing around like 5 year olds in a pee wee league who have no **** concept of what blocking out is when a shot goes up, I'll never wrap my mind around that.  And let's not even start on Free Throws.  Or as our opponents call them, their chance to catch up.

We are ranked 14th in the country in team free throw percentage.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 17, 2017, 10:19:26 am
We are ranked 14th in the country in team field goal percentage.

Hogs offense is not a the problem most of the time. Defense is a huge problem. Just look at the TN, where the Hogs shot 50% from 2 and 45 % from 3, and tied TN at the FT line, yet almost lost even though TN shot 39% from 2 & 26% from 3. The Hogs gave up several offensive rebounds, and TN took over a dozen more shots than the Hogs as a result.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 10:30:13 am
Hogs offense is not a the problem most of the time. Defense is a huge problem. Just look at the TN, where the Hogs shot 50% from 2 and 45 % from 3, and tied TN at the FT line, yet almost lost even though TN shot 39% from 2 & 26% from 3. The Hogs gave up several offensive rebounds, and TN took over a dozen more shots than the Hogs as a result.

I did mean to post free throw %, not field goal, just fyi. It is corrected.

I agree with you. Anderson is an offensive coach. His teams score because his offense allows freedom for the players. Defense is his problem.