Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P-5 Teams That Won't Play a P-5 Non-Conf Opponent in 2018

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 16, 2018, 05:39:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

For some reason, Arkansas seems to be the first team mentioned. They probably should have led with Washington State.

Of the 64 Power teams, six (or 9%) are guilty of under-scheduling this season. The Big Ten and Pac-12 both have two representatives and the Big 12 and SEC have one apiece. The ACC avoids the list completely.

In each case, it's a one game advantage over the rest of the field.

If last week's teams were on the scheduling honor roll, this weeks are on the naughty list. Stay tuned to see if Santa Claus puts coal in their stockings this postseason.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/03/power-teams-wont-play-power-opponent-2018/
Go Hogs Go!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 16, 2018, 05:39:19 am
For some reason, Arkansas seems to be the first team mentioned. They probably should have led with Washington State.

Of the 64 Power teams, six (or 9%) are guilty of under-scheduling this season. The Big Ten and Pac-12 both have two representatives and the Big 12 and SEC have one apiece. The ACC avoids the list completely.

If last week's teams were on the scheduling honor roll, this weeks are on the naughty list. Stay tuned to see if Santa Claus puts coal in their stockings this postseason.

At least the article points out that we did have Michigan scheduled until they backed out of the deal.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hoggusamoungus

It appears they went in alphabetical order.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on March 16, 2018, 05:49:06 am
It appears they went in alphabetical order.

Yes, that does appear to be the case. Still on my first cup of coffee. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 16, 2018, 05:45:59 am
At least the article points out that we did have Michigan scheduled until they backed out of the deal.

Yes and Oregon appears to be in the same boat as Arkansas. And who backed out on Oregon? Texas A&M. It's hard to scramble and find a solid opponent when something like this occurs.
Go Hogs Go!

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 16, 2018, 05:45:59 am

Yes, but they lead with "Arkansas hasn't avoided playing an OOC Power 5 opponent since 2007."  We didn't avoid it this time either.  They bury that little nugget at the end of our writeup.  They also neglect to mention our SOS is in the upper tier in the nation.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on March 16, 2018, 06:19:18 am
Yes, but they lead with "Arkansas hasn't avoided playing an OOC Power 5 opponent since 2007."  We didn't avoid it this time either.  They bury that little nugget at the end of our writeup.  They also neglect to mention our SOS is in the upper tier in the nation.

They could have just as easily said, "Arkansas has played an OOC Power 5 opponent every year since 2007."
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogsanity

Blame Michigan. And all you making plans to go to South Bend, don't put down any non-refundable travel deposits. If ND gets an offer for a marquee game, they will bail just like Michigan did unless the break up fee is HUGE.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

systemroot

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2018, 10:21:31 am
Blame Michigan. And all you making plans to go to South Bend, don't put down any non-refundable travel deposits. If ND gets an offer for a marquee game, they will bail just like Michigan did unless the break up fee is HUGE.

There needs to be a stiffer penalty when this occurs. Hit them where it hurts.

berryhog

I don't see them backing out on that one, but I wouldn't bet any money on them honoring the return game.

hog of steele

Quote from: systemroot on March 16, 2018, 10:25:33 am
There needs to be a stiffer penalty when this occurs. Hit them where it hurts.

If a team does this a few times it will hurt their ability to schedule NC games. I imagine ADs are aware of their reputation. It doesn't happen much.

247Hog

ND won't back out because Arkansas will be a Powerhouse by the time they come to Fayetteville  ;D :) ;)
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogcards

The NCAA should never have allowed Michigan to pull that.

...although, I'm somewhat relieved they did.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

redeye

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on March 16, 2018, 06:19:18 am
Yes, but they lead with "Arkansas hasn't avoided playing an OOC Power 5 opponent since 2007."  We didn't avoid it this time either.

Wasn't 2007 when Texas backed out of it's return trip to Fayetteville?  If so, we didn't avoid playing an OOC Power 5 then, either.

Quote from: hog of steele on March 16, 2018, 10:30:18 am
If a team does this a few times it will hurt their ability to schedule NC games. I imagine ADs are aware of their reputation. It doesn't happen much.

It almost always happens when it's a marquee match-up for us.  I never expect these games to get played, because it rarely happens.  USC honored it's agreement and Texas has honored some of theirs.  Ohio State and Michigan have both cancelled and I'm sure I'm forgetting others from way back.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

kp72204

SooieGeneris

This writer should know it's hard to get a Power 5 on such short notice after the Michigan pullout. Tell the writer what she can do with her lump of coal, all the way until it becomes a diamond... Michigan is the one who should be blamed, not us..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

bennyl08

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 16, 2018, 05:56:17 pm
This writer should know it's hard to get a Power 5 on such short notice after the Michigan pullout. Tell the writer what she can do with her lump of coal, all the way until it becomes a diamond... Michigan is the one who should be blamed, not us..

The writer does know that and more or less says exactly what you are. However, at the end of the day, the list wasn't about teams that pulled out of contracts, it's about teams that don't play a p-5 non-conference opponent this upcoming season.

Quote from: redeye on March 16, 2018, 11:44:07 am
Wasn't 2007 when Texas backed out of it's return trip to Fayetteville?  If so, we didn't avoid playing an OOC Power 5 then, either.

It almost always happens when it's a marquee match-up for us.  I never expect these games to get played, because it rarely happens.  USC honored it's agreement and Texas has honored some of theirs.  Ohio State and Michigan have both cancelled and I'm sure I'm forgetting others from way back.

For some reason, I'm thinking we had a 3 game contract with USC and backed out after the whooping we got those first two games. I know texas backed out of a game with us, but i figured that had to be a different year since we played them in 2008. Seems weird to back out for the first year but still honor a second one...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChicoHog

Quote from: Wildhog on March 16, 2018, 12:53:27 pm
Other schools should schedule smarter.
No, all schools should schedule more Power 5 opponents and no FCS schools.  And play 9 conference games.  The ACC and SEC have a huge advantage there only playing 8 conference games.  Play 9 conference games and half the teams in the conference have an additional loss they likely would not have had by playing a weak OOC opponent. 

Wildhog

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 16, 2018, 09:13:50 pm
No, all schools should schedule more Power 5 opponents and no FCS schools.  And play 9 conference games.  The ACC and SEC have a huge advantage there only playing 8 conference games.  Play 9 conference games and half the teams in the conference have an additional loss they likely would not have had by playing a weak OOC opponent. 

Screw that.  We need all the wins we can get.
1909/1964/1965/1977

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

oldhawg

Quote from: redeye on March 16, 2018, 11:44:07 am

Not sure Texas backed out of its commitment.  I believe that it was a mutually negotiated agreement, and that Arkansas initiated the discussions to postpone the return trip to Fayetteville by the 'Horns.  This is a more reasonable way to make a change rather than just arbitrarily announcing a cancellation as Michigan did.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas_texas_football_game_moved_to_2021_205331253/

On the other hand, it is difficult to find fault with Michigan for jumping at the chance to renew an old rivalry with Notre Dame.  What if Arkansas had a chance to switch Texas or Oklahoma for Notre Dame when that game is scheduled?  Should Arkansas make the switch?

ChicoHog

Quote from: Wildhog on March 17, 2018, 12:08:00 am
Screw that.  We need all the wins we can get.
You can pay $50 to watch Sun Belt teams.  I'd much rather pay to see us play relevant competition. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 17, 2018, 06:33:47 pm
You can pay $50 to watch Sun Belt teams.  I'd much rather pay to see us play relevant competition.

Meh....I'm sure we're gonna need the practice.
This is my non-signature signature.

bennyl08

Until Morris proves otherwise, non-p5 is relevant competition. We're way better off than we were under Petrino, but even he required a year before we weren't needing come from behind 4th quarter near miracles in order to beat the LaTechs of the world.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jbigs77

Year in and year out we probably play more top 20 teams than most. Someone needs to do a article on that.

Ragnar Hogbrok

One can't just schedule any team one desires. Both teams' schedules would have to accommodate the game. There's much more to scheduling than just "don't schedule no cupcakes!"
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Wildhog

I'd rather BE relevant.  Besides, our overall SOS is almost always near the top, nationwide. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

j-mann

Sun Beit  shouild be FCS  period  and so shouild the MAC and C-USA 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

bennyl08

Quote from: j-mann on March 19, 2018, 08:40:01 pm
Sun Beit  shouild be FCS  period  and so shouild the MAC and C-USA

Those schools would wipe the floor with FCS schools.

Wildhog

I know that Coastal Carolina, in their first year at the FBS level, gave us all we wanted and more.
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigture perfect

This is the year we need the weaker OOC schedule. Breaking in a new scheme. New coaching staff needs a good record to taut when recruiting next year. I think it comes at a good time and we will be more ready for a tougher schedule later.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Wildhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 19, 2018, 11:04:46 pm
This is the year we need the weaker OOC schedule. Breaking in a new scheme. New coaching staff needs a good record to taut when recruiting next year. I think it comes at a good time and we will be more ready for a tougher schedule later.

I'll take it every year.  We play eight SEC teams every year.  It's imperative that we go 4-0 in OOC play.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2018, 11:13:00 pm
I'll take it every year.  We play eight SEC teams every year.  It's imperative that we go 4-0 in OOC play.

Absolutely.

Although, this is Hogville. I've had people reply to me saying they'd rather lose to someone nationally relevant than win against some G5 or FCS. Right here on a Razorbacks board, someone told me they'd rather lose than win.

Good stuff.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2018, 11:13:00 pm
oh, I agree.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 16, 2018, 06:05:19 pm
The writer does know that and more or less says exactly what you are. However, at the end of the day, the list wasn't about teams that pulled out of contracts, it's about teams that don't play a p-5 non-conference opponent this upcoming season.

For some reason, I'm thinking we had a 3 game contract with USC and backed out after the whooping we got those first two games. I know texas backed out of a game with us, but i figured that had to be a different year since we played them in 2008. Seems weird to back out for the first year but still honor a second one...

It's not what you say - it's how you say it. For example, by saying "who won't play a P5 school" instead of "who don't play...", they make it sound like the teams on the list are refusing to play up to their level. Then they buried the lede on Oregon's and our writeups knowing full good and well that most casual readers will just skim the paragraph headlines to get the list. Most damning of all, they went in and deleted the comments which called them out on this behavior. Rather than fix the (easily fixable) problems with the article, they chose to silence their critics.

It's yellow press through and through.

bennyl08

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 20, 2018, 12:57:19 am
It's not what you say - it's how you say it. For example, by saying "who won't play a P5 school" instead of "who don't play...", they make it sound like the teams on the list are refusing to play up to their level. Then they buried the lede on Oregon's and our writeups knowing full good and well that most casual readers will just skim the paragraph headlines to get the list. Most damning of all, they went in and deleted the comments which called them out on this behavior. Rather than fix the (easily fixable) problems with the article, they chose to silence their critics.

It's yellow press through and through.

Your example is actually a really bad one. Don't is actually a stronger way to say something that won't. Expand the abbreviations and it's about not taking an action at some point in the future (I will not the dishes) vs not doing that action in general (I do not wash dishes).

However, here, the time span in limited to 2018 (with an implied regular season since there were non conf p5 games played in bowl games to start the year and will be more after the regular season to end this year) making those differences effectively moot with the only real difference whether you consider the present time to be part of the 2018 season or whether you consider the 2018 football season to not start until the future.

As for "burying the lead", the story isn't about the difficulty of scheduling. It's teams that will not be facing p5 non-conf this specific upcoming season, listing the teams as unbiased as they can by doing so alphabetically. Plain and simple. Anybody who finds "offense" by that is simply trying to be offended and has a victim mentality.

Lastly, there are tons of comments talking about how Arkansas and Oregon had scheduled really good p5 non conf's but had those games canceled on them through no fault of their own. Comments that have been up for as long as the article has been there. Heck, there's even comments criticizing the author of the paper directly that are several days old and have been replied to by workers of the website itself. Chances are, if they deleted something, it was vulgar or violated the sites posting rules.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 19, 2018, 11:22:32 pm
Absolutely.

Although, this is Hogville. I've had people reply to me saying they'd rather lose to someone nationally relevant than win against some G5 or FCS. Right here on a Razorbacks board, someone told me they'd rather lose than win.

Good stuff.

Yep. Some have been saying that stupid darn here for years. They say they just can't get excited about playing a fcs team or a non p5 fbs team. Well, guess what, it is not about your level of excitement, it is about what is best for the program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 10:24:32 am
Yep. Some have been saying that stupid darn here for years. They say they just can't get excited about playing a fcs team or a non p5 fbs team. Well, guess what, it is not about your level of excitement, it is about what is best for the program.

"I'd rather pay to watch us lose a great game to Clemson than pay to see us kick the darn out of Kumquat Valley Tech."

-Person who wouldn't pay for either game

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 20, 2018, 10:31:28 am
"I'd rather pay to watch us lose a great game to Clemson than pay to see us kick the darn out of Kumquat Valley Tech."

-Person who wouldn't pay for either game

I'll admit it is not terribly exciting to watch a game like they had a couple years ago when they played Nichols state, but I understand WHY they play those games.

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Hogwild

Quote from: kp72204 on March 16, 2018, 05:08:31 pm
We led because of SEC affiliation.

The SEC only plays 8 conference games, the Big 10 & Pac-12 schools already have 9 games against P5 schools in conference.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 10:50:52 am
I'll admit it is not terribly exciting to watch a game like they had a couple years ago when they played Nichols state, but I understand WHY they play those games.

I like them in moderation. When we have to go through the SEC gauntlet, I enjoy having one game a season where I get our team seemingly do no wrong. Obviously it would be boring if that was the entire season, but one game vs a nichols state I have no problem with. Have one quality non-conf opponent, one somewhat respectable (i.e. a tulsa level program), one fbs game that acts as a tune up and one go out there and have fun terrible program.

HF#1

I like the schedule this year. I think it sets up nicely for a new coach implementing a new system. We should be able to get to a bowl game and possibly a decent bowl game.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on March 20, 2018, 10:55:18 am
Wouldn't mind seeing Arkansas play Oklahoma St.

It would seem like a good rivalry, we should go back to scheduling them.

GoHogzzGo

Thanks Michigan.

And Oklahoma State consistently underschedules, plus the weak sauce conference. I prefer a strong schedule but that sure hasn't hurt them one bit.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

steveaustin69

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 12:18:23 pm
It would seem like a good rivalry, we should go back to scheduling them.

Sure would be a shame if they were locked in to our schedule  ;)

Hogwild

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 20, 2018, 12:24:49 pm
Thanks Michigan.

And Oklahoma State consistently underschedules, plus the weak sauce conference. I prefer a strong schedule but that sure hasn't hurt them one bit.

Since the reconfiguration of the Big 12, Ok State's  non conference schedule has been very similar to ours.

home & away with Pittsburgh                home & away with Rutgers
home & away with Arizona                    home & away with Texas Tech
neutral site vs Florida State                   home & away with  TCU
neutral site vs Mississippi State

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on March 21, 2018, 03:34:41 pm
Since the reconfiguration of the Big 12, Ok State's  non conference schedule has been very similar to ours.

home & away with Pittsburgh                home & away with Rutgers
home & away with Arizona                    home & away with Texas Tech
neutral site vs Florida State                   home & away with  TCU
neutral site vs Mississippi State

Not when you add them up over the years since 2012. Now you could say that a couple of the Big 12 games each year have been more like G-5 games in terms of competition, but in looking at the numbers straight up in the regular season, categorized by P-5, G-5 and FCS teams played, it comes up like this. Granted, our regular season schedule is a lot tougher than theirs. This is regular season only since we are talking about scheduling.

Okla State (2012-2017)             Arkansas (2012-2017)
                   P-5        G-5         FCS            P-5         G-5          FCS
2012             10           1            1               10           1             1
2013             10           1            1                9            2             1
2014             10           1            1                9            2             1
2015             10           2            0                9            2             1
2016             10           1            1                9            2             1
2017             10           2            0                9            2             1
Totals            60          8             4               55          11            6
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs