Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who was the best?

Started by Pudgepork, March 05, 2018, 03:06:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudgepork

Keeping it relatively modern times, and for the games against the hogs only.  Who was the best player to perform against the Hogs from 1960-current?   Award winning players have played but not lived up to expectations.  Bo Jackson really only broke 1 off against the Hogs late in the game.  But Earl Campbell owned the Hogs.  Cam Newton played up to the hype. 

Really hard to go against Campbell, Newton, Eric Dickerson.  Others?

#1 STUNNA

Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and Steve Smith killed us in 05.

Pudgepork

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 05, 2018, 03:15:58 pm
Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and Steve Smith killed us in 05.

True but that was a beat down by anyone wearing a trojan uni. Not total dismantle by 1 player. 

mevskithog

Sooieet-N-Sower

Christian Kirk ... thrice

AHiD

The refs in the game against Florida
My name...is Jerruh

AflacHawg

mevskithog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 05, 2018, 04:18:25 pm
The refs in the game against Florida
Hubert Owens in every game of ours he called.

TexHog188

Aikman in 89 Cotton Bowl.  Statistically ho hum, but 22 first downs to 4, they (he) controlled the field the whole game.  Grovey completed only 2 passes that day for 10 yds.  Awful day.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: AflacHawg on March 05, 2018, 04:27:06 pm
Mike Singletary
Great choice. I was eight years old, November 13, 1978. My first trip to Waco.  Hogs beat a so-so Baylor team 27-14 in front of probably 40-45K fans.  Singletary had 35 tackles in that game.  The two greatest college pursuit and tackle players I've ever seen in person are Atwater and Mike Singletary.  After that game, everything he did with the Chicago Bears was no surprise.  Likely the most intense defensive player Arkansas has ever faced.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

GoHogs1091

The best players the Hogs have ever faced.

Earl Campbell
Mike Singletary
Michael Irvin
Roy Williams   Safety at Oklahoma  2002 Cotton Bowl

Dr. Starcs

HogBreath

Earl Campbell impressed me the most with his 166 yard game against us back in '77, and he earned about every inch.

That was real football back in those days.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

island hog

James Street and Randy Paschal...

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: TexHog188 on March 05, 2018, 05:23:47 pm
Aikman in 89 Cotton Bowl.  Statistically ho hum, but 22 first downs to 4, they (he) controlled the field the whole game.  Grovey completed only 2 passes that day for 10 yds.  Awful day.
I don't remembet Aikman playing defense that day.  Campbell gets my vote.

EFBAB

Swestwill66

Andre Ware. How many Heisman winners has Arkansas faced ? There's been a few !

Dark Helmet Hog

thefisher

Each of the afore mentioned were incredible in their own ways.

However ... Earl Campbell would have to get my vote if I had only one.  Dragging multiple Hog players with him into the endzone.  Glad when he was gone.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Inhogswetrust

I've seen em all and it is Earl without a doubt.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgdavis

hawgdavis

Probably spelled his name wron though but he was a hog killer.

SamBuckhart

James Street, when it mattered most. That 4th down play was pure squirrel. We had it and it slipped away. :puke:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

razorbacker3

bulldog04

txkhog

oldgoat

Told a Longhorn fan just today how much I enjoyed watching Earl Campbell play.  I also enjoyed watching Dan Hampton go against him.  It was like watching two trucks collide.
Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

#1 STUNNA

Everyone on the 2005 USC team..lol

Franchise_Hog

Tim Couch 499 yards passing...and he lost.  :)

hawg66

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 05, 2018, 07:30:37 pm
I've seen em all and it is Earl without a doubt.
blocked a punt against the Hogs as a freshman to win the game. Great great player.

elksnort

Quote from: TexHog188 on March 05, 2018, 05:23:47 pm
Why do people say this? Aikman did not do anything special in this game.

UCLA'S nose guard and or defensive tackles won the game for the Bruins.

jkstock04

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 05, 2018, 03:06:58 pm
Keeping it relatively modern times, and for the games against the hogs only.  Who was the best player to perform against the Hogs from 1960-current?   Award winning players have played but not lived up to expectations.  Bo Jackson really only broke 1 off against the Hogs late in the game.  But Earl Campbell owned the Hogs.  Cam Newton played up to the hype. 

Really hard to go against Campbell, Newton, Eric Dickerson.  Others?
I'm not old enough for a 1960s comparison...but two guys I specifically remember actually seeing in person against the Hogs that ripped us a new one....and left a lasting impression were Peyton Manning and Johnny Manziel.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Psychohog

Quote from: txkhog on March 05, 2018, 08:08:52 pm
The Tyler Rose no doubt
I hated that man. He seemed to sum up our rivalry with texas at the time. No matter how good we played, no matter what we did, they would still......ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
Never smarten up a chump.

sickboy

Bill Brasky. End of conversation.

rickm1976

Earl Campbell.  Lineart and Bush come in a close second.

TNarch

Earl Campbell.  The guy was a bowling ball and might have owned all kinds of NFL records if he had stayed in the game, but he was probably smart to play just a few years and quit.

PonderinHog

Quote from: TNarch on March 06, 2018, 05:39:05 pm
Earl Campbell.  The guy was a bowling ball and might have owned all kinds of NFL records if he had stayed in the game, but he was probably smart to play just a few years and quit.
Probably, since he's in a wheelchair now.

wpswillriseagain

Dak Prescott when they came to Fayetteville his senior year vs Brandon Allen. If we could block on field goal we would have won. Dak had a great game though.